BMW 1 Series Coupe Forum / 1 Series Convertible Forum (1M / tii / 135i / 128i / Coupe / Cabrio / Hatchback) (BMW E82 E88 128i 130i 135i)

05-05-2014, 11:24 AM   #1
ItsHectic
But your honour it's my Affluenza I swear!
Australia
Rep
Drives: at a reasonable speed

Worried about police at the track

I have heard HWP do crack downs on track days for unroadworthy and defective registered cars when people leave the event.

I watched a few track day videos and I see cops also actually participate in these events.

My car is loud as fuck above 4k RPM, lambo/motorbike loud cause it has no cat.
I also have an unsealed pod air intake, I can blend in on the road and not attract attention of police but if I am gonna be giving it down the strip or racing close to a cop they are going to know my car is a defect for sure and they are going to see the number plates.
I dont think my car can be so loud with a hi flow cat and Im sure there is some regulation on exhuast dB level regardless, and all they have to do is ask me to pop the bonnet.
      05-05-2014, 03:18 PM   #2
Kirst
First Lieutenant
Australia
Rep
Drives: BSM e82 135i

Simple
Remove plates when on track
Reattach when finishes before driving off

They sit at lakeside and QR all the time and watch people so it's just a matter of being smart
Appreciate 0
      05-05-2014, 04:40 PM   #3
ItsHectic
Australia
Rep

I thought about taking off the plates but I dunno, I think it would be hard to convince them my car isnt registered. if it was an older car, or if my car was really low and had a roll cage or was a atleast an M model it might be more convincing. But who the hell would have a non registered 135i track car and at stock ride height.

And apart from that there is also the risk of getting done driving out, I could tow my car but when they were checking bikes they were towed and they were checking VIN numbers. So they are well aware of people removing plates.
      05-05-2014, 04:52 PM   #4
thezone135i
Lieutenant
Australia
Rep
Drives: Volvo S60 R-Design Polestar

Garage List
2008 BMW 135i  [0.00]
2012 BMW 535i  [0.00]
This kind of thing really pisses me off. You try to do the right thing and race at a track rather than on the road but no thats not good enough for them, they still have to stick their noses in. How is this helping to keep the road toll down? Why dont they go out and catch some real criminals for a change. I got done doing 132 in a 110 zone a few months back on a desolate stretch of highway 400km north of the cbd overtaking a road train. It was $750 fine and 5 demerit points. wtf? If I was doing 47km/h in a school zone it would have been the same fine. What a joke.

rant over
Appreciate 0
      05-05-2014, 04:58 PM   #5
ItsHectic
Australia
Rep

Ive had a lot of street races over more than 10 years and I have only been caught once, I got let off with a 14km/h over speeding ticket but that was enough for me to lose my liscense at the time.

Since then I always look for cops and I will probably speak to a lawyer about the potential consequences and how to avoid them.

I dont think its road toll thats the reason, I think its more of an insurance issue, kind of like why we have strict seat belt laws its not a safety thing its got something to do with money I cant remember the specifics but its something like cost of peoples green slips or something.

And FTR I dont rev my engine late at night in residential zones.

Last edited by ItsHectic; 05-05-2014 at 05:05 PM..
Appreciate 0
      05-05-2014, 05:10 PM   #6
PeteA
Major
Australia
Rep
Drives: E30, E82

I must admit this is pretty opportunistic. I get it there are roadworthy concerns here and there though. Its no different to mounting speed cameras is areas where the speed limit changes frequently in a short distance, or, at the bottom of a steep hill. (I know one street locally goes 70/60/40/50/70 all within two kilometers and varies with time of the day as well).

Whatever, take your plates off as mentioned would I guess work fine. Highway patrol, more commonly known by their colleagues as 'tarmac heads'
      05-05-2014, 05:21 PM   #7
1BimmerNut
Private First Class
Australia
Rep
Drives: 135i then 130i now F20-125

Sshhh

Quote:
Originally Posted by ItsHectic View Post
I have heard HWP do crack downs on track days for unroadworthy and defective registered cars when people leave the event.

I watched a few track day videos and I see cops also actually participate in these events.

My car is loud as fuck above 4k RPM, lambo/motorbike loud cause it has no cat.
I also have an unsealed pod air intake, I can blend in on the road and not attract attention of police.
[I]i'm not a big fan of the HWP but I am also not a fan of really loud cars in residential environments. [I]f you can keep your car quiet good on you - should have nothing to worry about - [I]f you bore it up around the burbs you deserve everything you should get. After having to move because of a neighbour with an illegal car waking me up every morn at 5.30 am the cops are there to enforce the rules
Appreciate 0
      05-05-2014, 05:26 PM   #8
ItsHectic
Australia
Rep

I am happily using the stock muffler, so its easy to keep the car quiet.
      05-05-2014, 05:42 PM   #9
ItsHectic
Australia
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ian///M View Post
I don't see what you are on about. Your car is in defect by your own admission, so if you get stopped then man up and face the consequenses.... "gotta to pay to play"

Furthermore, admitting/bragging to street racing on a public forum is not only dumb, but indicates that you are exactly the sort of individual that the HWP should be targeting.

The game is try to avoid the consequences though.

I dont see how admitting to street racing on the internet is dumb, even if someone were to release my number plate its not enough evidence. But I am the sort of individual HWP target hence why I made this thread.

Im not the only person on these forums driving illegally or with a defective vehicle so please get off your moral high horse.
      05-05-2014, 06:03 PM   #10
ItsHectic
Australia
Rep

Well I made this thread so people in NSW with defective vehicles can tell me they track and havent been hassled.
Anyway in my experience lately people with a fast enough car dont want to race so maybe after I go to the strip I wont be inclined to race on the street anymore. I just need my concerns put to rest.
      05-05-2014, 06:19 PM   #11
BMWRX
Major
Australia
Rep
Drives: F82 M4 CP

Garage List
2017 BMW M4  [0.00]
I've done my fair share of track days and I've never seen police waiting out the front gate looking to defect cars. However, I have seen them happy to check cars that they've had reason to stop (i.e. Speeding, driving like an idiot). So don't give them that reason and you should be fine.

And I agree with Ian. Admitting to street racing on a forum isn't the best option. Although it does validate why you're concerned regarding being pulled over by police. No moral high horse from either of us; just friendly advice.
      05-05-2014, 06:32 PM   #12
Gumball
Lieutenant
Australia
Rep
Drives: A45

My mate was pulled over a few hundred meters after the eastern creek gate road for a breath test and emission check.

HWP are bottom feeders and no better than council rangers..

Kinda glad I have a stock car these days....
Appreciate 0
      05-05-2014, 06:32 PM   #13
Giveway74
Private First Class
Australia
Rep
Drives: 130i and MK7 Golf GTI PP

I've see police (not HWP) in at SMP watching a club event on the skid pan.
Most of the club was modified EVO's and i'm sure there could have been a few defects in there. No one got hassled on the way out but the HWP were doing laps looking for dickheads speeding and doing burnouts on the street.

The ARDC do a good job at police relations and structured club events normally have a policy of fun on the track but not on the street so the cops leave them alone. It is usually the spectators that get done.

The last RTDC event i had at SMP i had a police car behind me after the event and didn't get pulled over even though i have a half cage, race seat and tow stickers still on the car.

Simple fact is if you are seen to be anti-social, noise, speeding, burnouts then you get done. If you are abiding by the rules then most of the time you get left alone.
M3 front and rear arms, M3 Front and rear ARB , Quaife LSD, BMW performance wheel (non electronic), 135i Brakes, DS2500 pads, Apex wheel studs, Adjustable Bilsteins, API Half cage, Hankook Z221's (track) and Bridgestone RE002's (street) 225's all around
Appreciate 0
      05-05-2014, 07:12 PM   #14
froop
Colonel
Australia
Rep
Drives: 08 AW 6MT E82

I've tracked quite a fair bit in the past year and have never been hassled leaving. Even went to the snowy mountains 1000 where there were HWP taking part in the festivities and they didn't hassle anyone when people were leaving.
      05-05-2014, 09:00 PM   #15
BMW86
Major General
Australia
Rep
Drives: RS3 Sedan / Macan S

I've done a few track days and a full time attack season in 2012.

On more than 1 occasion I've seen police setting up at the entry/exit of Willowbank.

Unfortunately there is only one entry/exit so if they want to pull you over they will.

I've never been pulled over yet because I always happen to leave as they're setting up.
Appreciate 0
      05-05-2014, 10:27 PM   #16
TWD
Australia
Rep
Drives: All sorts of Cars

Admitedly, I had my 180sx track car pulled over and red labelled by HWP just outside the Shell at Eastern Creek when leaving Superlap (large event) a few years ago.

Never seen/heard of HWP at small track days at place such as Wakefield Park though...

I guess if you take the risk and get caught, then no surprise/disappointment.
Appreciate 0
      05-06-2014, 01:03 AM   #17
Blader
Lotus Exige ClubRacer
Australia
Rep
Drives: MY15 Lotus Exige CR

Garage List
2010 E88 125i  [0.00]
Track Day at Wakefield Park last month had the HWP cruising down Pit Lane during the morning briefing
      05-06-2014, 08:08 AM   #18
drjekl
Captain
Rep
Drives: E92 335i

This thread makes no sense...

You're worried about essentially nothing (a catless N54 isn't loud dude) yet you have street raced in the past!?!?

Drive to the drags do your shit, go home drive normal on the way out and you will be fine / thread.
Appreciate 0
      05-06-2014, 10:01 AM   #19
ItsHectic
Australia
Rep

Its an N55, it doesnt sound loud from inside but my friends have told me it heaps loud on the outside, unexpectedly loud after being in the car, 3 blocks away in the city loud.

When I race on the street I make sure there are no cops around so its different.
      05-06-2014, 08:20 PM   #20
UR25IO
Captain
Australia
Rep
Drives: 2011 BMW 135i M-SPORT DCT

Quote:
Its an N55, it doesnt sound loud from inside but my friends have told me it heaps loud on the outside, unexpectedly loud after being in the car, 3 blocks away in the city loud.

When I race on the street I make sure there are no cops around so its different.
hey ItsHectic bro are you running a straight pipe through your exhaust? catless everything?

I would love to hear your car man

Thony
Appreciate 0
      05-06-2014, 08:20 PM   #21
Nugget
Colonel
Rep
Drives: G81 M3 Touring, GR Supra GTS

Garage List
2011 BMW 135i  [10.00]
So hectic.
Appreciate 0
      05-06-2014, 08:51 PM   #22
PeteA
Major
Australia
Rep
Drives: E30, E82

Quote:
So cool.