F30POST
F30POST
2012-2015 BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum (F30 / F32) | F30POST > 2012-2019 BMW 3 and 4-Series Forums > General F30 Sedan / F32 Coupe / F36 Gran Coupe Forum > F36 replacing dampers on adaptive suspension
ARMA SPEED

04-27-2024, 05:36 PM   #1
Jim320d
Rep
Drives: F36 435d

F36 replacing dampers on adaptive suspension

Hey Guys,
Looking for some advice on replacing adaptive shocks.
I'm running stock suspension on my 435d xdrive, front shocks now need replacing and have always wanted to drop it a little with how the XD sits so now seems like the perfect time!
If I replace with OEM shocks can I still go with lower springs, e.g. ACS or eibach, or will that kill the shocks with the lower ride?
Are there aftermarket options for adaptive shocks, or is OEM the only option?
I also hear it's possible (though not sure I want to) to go non adaptive, e.g. coilovers, and have adaptive coded out of the car, anyone done it or have experience/thoughts on that route?
Any other things to consider?
Appreciate all advice!
Appreciate 0
      04-28-2024, 07:46 AM   #2
johnung
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2015 BMW 335i x-Drive Auto

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim320d View Post
Hey Guys,
Looking for some advice on replacing adaptive shocks.
I'm running stock suspension on my 435d xdrive, front shocks now need replacing and have always wanted to drop it a little with how the XD sits so now seems like the perfect time!
If I replace with OEM shocks can I still go with lower springs, e.g. ACS or eibach, or will that kill the shocks with the lower ride?
Are there aftermarket options for adaptive shocks, or is OEM the only option?
I also hear it's possible (though not sure I want to) to go non adaptive, e.g. coilovers, and have adaptive coded out of the car, anyone done it or have experience/thoughts on that route?
Any other things to consider?
Appreciate all advice!
You ask all great questions. IMO it’s best to maintain the investment that you have already made in an Adaptive/EDC suspension system. Doesn’t make sense to go backwards to standard dampers.

Adaptives typically leak fluid when they are shot anywhere from 40k to 95k miles from what people have told me. You can easily replace a front pair and have rears last many more miles.

Two options make the most sense: either Genuine BMW front Adaptive struts (often you can find a 20% or more discount at discount Genuine parts suppliers) or Bilstein B4-Damptronic. There’s a good chance that Bilstein makes the Genuine’s for BMW so I’d treat them as the same part and buy on price between the two.

Note: Bilstein can be out of stock at times during the year as they prioritize contracts with car makers over retail customers. So either buy Bilstein’s in advance of need when they are available or choose discounted Genuine Adaptive dampers. Results are the same, it’s a cash outlay issue only.

Added: Just to give you an idea. I buy my Genuine BMW parts in the US from the internet parts sales division of an actual BMW dealer in Maryland called GetBMWParts. They sell front Adaptive struts for my car at 32.2% off BMW list. Their website is a good source for finding out what the true BMW list price is too. My local dealers are notorious for boosting the BMW list in their parts systems. If I have to buy parts at the dealer I go armed knowing the true list. When I tell them they always drop the price to what it should be.

Avoid the idea of substituting Bilstein B6-Damptronic. They are more stiff/harsh, and they actually raise your ride height because their spring perch is higher than stock. See video from FaRKle!
https://youtu.be/IlppKcxGWzA?si=oWQEEMv-S7LN6GnT

You can absolutely install lowering springs at the same time. The cheap standard dampers are prone to early wear from lowering but it’s not the same with Adaptives. Plus your 435 is already lower from the factory than 335, so your lowering is not as much.

I highly recommend Eibach. They provide control without the stiff/harsh ride of other springs that have ridiculously high spring rates. See photo for Eibach part number for your car. It costs less to buy the kit than to buy the springs separately. So buy the kit, install the front springs with the front Adaptive struts and save the rear springs for when you replace rear Adaptive shocks. The rear drop isn’t very much so you should have an issue.

Hope this helps!
Attached Images

Appreciate 1
      04-28-2024, 08:25 AM   #3
Fredo
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2012 335i

I refreshed the EDC suspension on my 2012 F30, please review my thread:

https://f30.bimmerpost.com/forums/sh....php?t=1657753

This is my last update: "I had some issues after the EDC removal. What that coding did was to update the Vehicle Order (VO) to pretend the car came out of the factory without the EDC option.

A couple of years ago, I needed to replace a part (Fuel Control Pump Unit P/N 16147411596) which required to be coded into the car. My mechanic had a lot of trouble to make this work.

His notes say 'Unable to code EKPM3 with standard BMW ISTA+. Found vehicle order has been modified which caused the ISTA+ programming issues. The EKPM3 is now coded successfully (the only way to code this vehicle is E-SYS only).'

He also said any new part that requires coding will have similar issues."
Appreciate 1
      04-28-2024, 01:29 PM   #4
AspektUSA
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 340i MSport/THP

OEM on the adaptive struts appears to be Monroe Tenneco, as it comes out of Spain - at least on my Munich assembly car.

Monroe / Tenneco is the very bottom on the list of quality for shocks.

https://www.tenneco.com/news/archive...in-ermua-spain

Would opt for Bilstein if you have the opportunity.
Appreciate 1
      04-28-2024, 02:47 PM   #5
Jim320d
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by johnung View Post
You ask all great questions. IMO it’s best to maintain the investment that you have already made in an Adaptive/EDC suspension system. Doesn’t make sense to go backwards to standard dampers.

Adaptives typically leak fluid when they are shot anywhere from 40k to 95k miles from what people have told me. You can easily replace a front pair and have rears last many more miles.

Two options make the most sense: either Genuine BMW front Adaptive struts (often you can find a 20% or more discount at discount Genuine parts suppliers) or Bilstein B4-Damptronic. There’s a good chance that Bilstein makes the Genuine’s for BMW so I’d treat them as the same part and buy on price between the two.

Note: Bilstein can be out of stock at times during the year as they prioritize contracts with car makers over retail customers. So either buy Bilstein’s in advance of need when they are available or choose discounted Genuine Adaptive dampers. Results are the same, it’s a cash outlay issue only.

Added: Just to give you an idea. I buy my Genuine BMW parts in the US from the internet parts sales division of an actual BMW dealer in Maryland called GetBMWParts. They sell front Adaptive struts for my car at 32.2% off BMW list. Their website is a good source for finding out what the true BMW list price is too. My local dealers are notorious for boosting the BMW list in their parts systems. If I have to buy parts at the dealer I go armed knowing the true list. When I tell them they always drop the price to what it should be.

Avoid the idea of substituting Bilstein B6-Damptronic. They are more [...]
Nice info, much appreciated!
I had looked at a similar eibach spring set, but slightly different part (E10-20-031-05-22) with a little more of a drop, which I quite like as the 435d xd is sitting pretty high with SE springs so it's not the same drop from the m suspension.
Question on the Bilstein B4, if you know, do they connect into the Adaptive as OEM would and no additional config/coding needed?
Appreciate 0
      04-28-2024, 03:15 PM   #6
AspektUSA
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 340i MSport/THP

Quote:
I had looked at a similar eibach spring set, but slightly different part (E10-20-031-05-22) with a little more of a drop, which I quite like as the 435d xd is sitting pretty high with SE springs so it's not the same drop from the m suspension.
Question on the Bilstein B4, if you know, do they connect into the Adaptive as OEM would and no additional config/coding needed?
I replaced mine with B4 EDC adaptive and it was plug and play.

No codes, no lights, no ISTA needed.

Adaptive headlights worked and leveled as they should.
Appreciate 1
      04-28-2024, 03:19 PM   #7
Jim320d
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by AspektUSA View Post
I replaced mine with B4 EDC adaptive and it was plug and play.

No codes, no lights, no ISTA needed.

Adaptive headlights worked and leveled as they should.
Nice, that could be the route I go, if I can find stock!
Appreciate 0
      04-28-2024, 03:25 PM   #8
johnung
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2015 BMW 335i x-Drive Auto

Garage List
Quote:
The -05 kit is meant for 335 which starts higher than 435. I wouldn’t use it on your car, plus the spring rates are different.

B4-Damptronic plug right in.
Appreciate 1