E90Post

The Tire Rack

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > BMW E90/E92/E93 3-series General Forums > General E90 Sedan / E91 Wagon / E92 Coupe / E93 Cabrio > Tpms switch to FTM

01-25-2022, 03:42 PM   #23
dpaul
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2009 E90 335xi, 2011 E93 M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by rightaway View Post
I do have all that. Last few times the guy dialed in and did a remote tune. I have no idea on what I’m looking at. He also coded to tell you when to shift for the best mpg and that doesn’t work either. Not a big deal but the big red flat time sign is annoying
OK, I have the bulk of this on speed dial so here it is:

If you do not have any custom coding affecting the KOMBI and DSC modules, then the best approach to your problem is to change VO (Vehicle Order aka Fahrzeugbestellung or FA in German), then “default” code (let the software decide what edits to make based on the VO) the KOMBI and DSC modules. Follow #1 below.

If you already have some custom coding in those modules that you want to preserve, then you will have to obtain a text file of all coding options, manually edit it and then write it back to the relevant modules. Follow #2

The VO is just a list of codes for the options installed in your vehicle. $2VB is the code for TPMS, which you are going to remove and $265 is the code for FTM, which you are going to add. Copies of the VO are stored in the CAS and NFRM modules in E9x vehicles.

Load NCSExpert ->File->Load Profile-> expertmoden or factory coding; NOT Manipulation
F1 (Vin/ZCS/FA or Start)
F3 (ZCS/FA f.ECU) – reads FA from ECU
Chassis -> Select E89 from dropdown menu -> Select CAS and click OK

At this point, the model (CHASSIS), VIN (FG) and the VO (FA) should appear at the top of the screen

F2 (Enter FA)
Chassis -> again select E89 -> OK -> verify VIN (note: last digit is checksum)->OK

In the “Attribute” field, enter $265 -> click on “Add”
Click on $2VB in the list below the “Add” button -> press “Delete” key on keyboard

F6 (Back)
F4 (Process ECU) -> Select CAS in the “Choose ECU” popup and click OK
F2 (Change Job) -> Select FA_WRITE -> OK
F3 (Execute Job)
F1 (Change ECU) -> Select NFRM ->OK
F3 (Execute Job)

You have now changed the VO and stored the edited version in the CAS and NFRM modules. Now you need to code the modules relevant to TPMS/FTM based on the VO

F2 (Change Job) -> Select SG_Codieren -> OK
F1 (Change ECU) -> Select KOMBI -> OK
F3 (Execute Job)
F1 (Change ECU -> Select DSC -> OK
F3 (Execute Job)

Load NCSExpert ->File->Load Profile-> Manipulation
F1 (Vin/ZCS/FA or Start)
F3 (ZCS/FA f.ECU)
At this point, the model (CHASSIS), VIN (FG) and the VO (FA) should appear at the top of the screen

Open the file C:/NCSExper/WORK/FSW_PSW.TRC in a text editor and make the following changes:

KOMBI: RDC_ALIVE
nicht_aktiv
KOMBI: MMI_ENA_RPA_RDC
aktiv
KOMBI: RDC_VERBAUT
nicht_aktiv
KOMBI: DSC_MIT_RPA_CC
aktiv
KOMBI: RDC_DISP_SWITCH
nicht_aktiv

DSC: AUSSTATTUNG_RPA
aktiv

Save the file as C C:/NCSExper/WORK/FSW_PSW.MAN
F3 (Execute Job)
F3 (Execute Job)

Why is #1 the better way to do it? Because it will stick if the car is ever default coded by BMW service personnel. If you edit manually, those changes will be removed the next time default coding is performed.

Last edited by dpaul; 01-26-2022 at 05:08 AM..
Appreciate 3
      01-25-2022, 07:44 PM   #24
rightaway
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2009 BMW 328i

Does the rdc or any fuses have to be unplugged?
Appreciate 0
      01-25-2022, 09:49 PM   #25
Serf27
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: 335i

The RDC module has to be disconnected and
Option $2VB replaced with $265.
Other modules must also be coded
The protools app would do this in 30 seconds.
Look into it.
Put the fuse back in too.
And FTM does have a reset option.
On your turn signal stalk, press the BC button until you see the Time.
Scroll up using the dial on the stalk and find the Tire sensor.
Press the BC button once.
Press BC button a second time and hold for a few seconds.

I’d say something is not coded properly.
Appreciate 0
      01-25-2022, 09:56 PM   #26
rightaway
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Thanks
Appreciate 0
      02-09-2022, 09:53 AM   #27
rightaway
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Still having issues. The guy can remote code and hit one button and it turns off. He said everything is fine. But when I try to reset, it doesn’t work. I check all my tire pressures and they are good. He has no idea. He said maybe I have a fuse in the wrong place ? I tried to upload a video from my phone but it won’t let me.
Appreciate 0
      02-09-2022, 04:04 PM   #28
rightaway
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by dpaul View Post
OK, I have the bulk of this on speed dial so here it is:

If you do not have any custom coding affecting the KOMBI and DSC modules, then the best approach to your problem is to change VO (Vehicle Order aka Fahrzeugbestellung or FA in German), then “default” code (let the software decide what edits to make based on the VO) the KOMBI and DSC modules. Follow #1 below.

If you already have some custom coding in those modules that you want to preserve, then you will have to obtain a text file of all coding options, manually edit it and then write it back to the relevant modules. Follow #2

The VO is just a list of codes for the options installed in your vehicle. $2VB is the code for TPMS, which you are going to remove and $265 is the code for FTM, which you are going to add. Copies of the VO are stored in the CAS and NFRM modules in E9x vehicles.

Load NCSExpert ->File->Load Profile-> expertmoden or factory coding; NOT Manipulation
F1 (Vin/ZCS/FA or Start)
F3 (ZCS/FA f.ECU) – reads FA from ECU

F2 (Enter FA)
Chassis -> again select E89 -> OK -> verify VIN (note: last digit is checksum)->OK

In the “Attribute” field, enter $265 -> click on “Add”
Click on $2VB in the list below the “Add” button -> press “Delete” key on keyboard

F6 (Back)
F4 (Process ECU) -> Select CAS in the “Choose ECU” popup and click OK
F2 (Change Job) -> Select FA_WRITE -> OK
F3 (Execute Job)
F1 (Change ECU) -> Select NFRM ->OK
F3 (Execute Job)

You have now changed the VO and stored the edited version in the CAS and NFRM modules. Now you need to code the modules relevant to TPMS/FTM based on the VO

F3 (Execute Job)
F3 (Execute Job)

Load NCSExpert ->File->Load Profile-> Manipulation
F1 (Vin/ZCS/FA or Start)
F3 (ZCS/FA f.ECU)

Open the file C:/NCSExper/WORK/FSW_PSW.TRC in a text editor and make the following changes:

KOMBI: RDC_ALIVE
nicht_aktiv
KOMBI: MMI_ENA_RPA_RDC
aktiv
KOMBI: RDC_VERBAUT
nicht_aktiv
KOMBI: DSC_MIT_RPA_CC
aktiv
KOMBI: RDC_DISP_SWITCH
nicht_aktiv

DSC: AUSSTATTUNG_RPA
aktiv

Save the file as C C:/NCSExper/WORK/FSW_PSW.MAN
F3 (Execute Job)
F3 (Execute Job)

Why is #1 the better way to do it? Because it will stick if the car is ever default coded by BMW service personnel. If you edit manually, those changes will be removed the next time default coding is performed.
I have this to code. I never used it. When I have my usb plugged into odb2, it says I can not connect. I know I must be missing step. Watching the guy who coded it just says he resets it. How can I just reset it with this program?
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      02-09-2022, 04:46 PM   #29
dpaul
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep

Quote:
I have this to code. I never used it. When I have my usb plugged into odb2, it says I can not connect. I know I must be missing step. Watching the guy who coded it just says he resets it. How can I just reset it with this program?
In your first picture, that's not a coding tool-that's INPA, a diagnostic program and one of the five major components of BMW standard Tools (INPA, NCSExpert, WinKFP, Tool32 and NFS).

Some fool altered a config file so it would say "Code My Euro", whatever that means. For what is commonly referred to as 'coding' on this forum, you would use NCSExpert.

But if INPA won't connect, none of the other packages will either.

Since the provenance of your installation is unknown, you might want to uninstall it and delete.

Get a known-good Standard Tools package here:
https://www.bimmergeeks.net/downloads

I'm happy to help but I'll need you to do some work on your own first. Here's a PDF on how to configure and use INPA put together by @gbalthrop, a knowledgeable contributor to this and other forums. Please read it and get INPA working - then you will be ready for the next step.

I have no idea what you mean to show us with your second picture.
Attached Images
File Type: pdf INPA Tutorial Quickstart (1).pdf (682.2 KB, 34 views)
Appreciate 0
      02-09-2022, 04:55 PM   #30
rightaway
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

I got the car to connect and I can click around and see values but I’m not sure where I go from here. But tire pressure control and monitoring won’t read. I’m guessing but the rdc module is pulled out. How do I reset with ftm on here?
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      02-09-2022, 06:33 PM   #31
dpaul
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep

Quote:
I got the car to connect and I can click around and see values but I’m not sure where I go from here. But tire pressure control and monitoring won’t read. I’m guessing but the rdc module is pulled out. How do I reset with ftm on here?
My suggestion was that you recode using NCSEXpert so you know it's done correctly. Then, as suggested by Serf27, scroll to the tire reset screen on the cluster and press the BC button twice to reset it.
Appreciate 0
      02-09-2022, 07:51 PM   #32
rightaway
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Is there anybody that you can recommend that can remote? And is there anything that I’m missing to reset it using what I have? Is there a walkthrough or YouTube about it?
Appreciate 0
      02-09-2022, 07:55 PM   #33
Serf27
Brigadier General
Rep

I agree with restarting the coding procedure.
Maybe the cluster was not coded and that’s why your cluster cannot reset the light.
You can use NCS expert or the protools app.
The coding license is $80.
You’re going to spend $80-$120 to have it remote coded anyways.
Worth a shot.

It’s odd you have RDC in your chassis, since it was coded out.
Appreciate 0
      02-09-2022, 08:49 PM   #34
rightaway
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

How does it work if I download a different program to code my car, if I’m coded with something else? Do I have to go back to stock first?
Appreciate 0
      02-10-2022, 05:30 AM   #35
dpaul
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep

Quote:
How does it work if I download a different program to code my car, if I’m coded with something else? Do I have to go back to stock first?
Doesn't matter what program (NCSExpert, Protool etc) you use to code. In fact, Protool is just the guts of INPA and NCSExpert adapted for Android devices and given a simpler interface. Once again, the application you showed in your first picture (INPA) IS NOT FOR CODING. It is for diagnostics.

You do not have to return to a 'stock' condition to perform any coding operation. 'Coding' is just choosing between a few values already pre-specified by the factory. BMW stores a list of codes in CAS and NFRM modules called the VO (Vehicle Order). In 'default' coding, NCSExpert or Protool reads the VO and sets the specified variables in the module selected for coding to the values associated with the VO code(s). The other form of 'coding' is where you go manually edit the values for each module rather than simply relying on the VO - again, only certain pre-determined values are allowed. But in neither case is it necessary to return to any particular set of values. You just change what you want to change, that's it.

Again, I would urge you should spend a little time reading one of the many tutorials discussing what 'coding', 'programming' or 'flashing' and diagnostics really mean.

You might be better off just hiring someone reputable to do this - there are a number of remote coders contributing to this forum. I have no personal experience with any but I don't think you could go wrong with someone like Joe@TopGearSolutions or sd*********. They've demonstrated in their postings that they know what they are doing.
Appreciate 0
      02-10-2022, 02:34 PM   #36
smallseafishie
Colonel
Rep
Drives: AW 07 e92 335i + AW 11 X5 35d

Garage List
2007 E92 335i  [0.00]
Dumb question but are you sure you're actually resetting the FTM? The stalk / BC menu is not intuitive on how to actually commit to the reset once the reset option is selected.
Appreciate 0
      02-10-2022, 03:54 PM   #37
Serf27
Brigadier General
Rep

What?^ Thats how I’ve reset my FTM. And TPMS the save way, but on the idrive screen.

IF OP gets protools, here’s how to do it.

Connect app to vehicle.
Click vehicle
Click vehicle order
Click edit
Find $2VB and de-select it.
Click save
Click “Both locations-CAS&FRM”
App prompts “changes to VO affect 3 locations” click confirm to view 3 locations.
Click re-code. (Re-coding the 3 affected modules)

This should turn on FTM.
E93 335i-DINAN tuned. Alpine over Saddle brown
Appreciate 0
      02-11-2022, 09:51 AM   #38
smallseafishie
Colonel
Rep
Drives: AW 07 e92 335i + AW 11 X5 35d

Garage List
2007 E92 335i  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Serf27 View Post
What?^ Thats how I’ve reset my FTM. And TPMS the save way, but on the idrive screen.

Connect app to vehicle.
Click vehicle
Click vehicle order
Click edit
Click save
App prompts “changes to VO affect 3 locations” click confirm to view 3 locations.

This should turn on FTM.
Yes Idrive makes the reset very easy. The reset of the FTM without idrive is not intuitive. Based off my memory, it was a 3-5 second hold the button once the reset option was selected to commit.
Appreciate 0
      12-22-2022, 04:22 PM   #39
ramp
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: E91, Lemans Blue

Garage List
2011 BMW 328i  [0.00]
Anybody in Connecticut do coding? I put my winter tires on and now I have the intermittent warning. Disconnected the FRD module.
Thanks
Appreciate 0
      03-27-2024, 08:58 PM   #40
BalanBro
Rep
Drives: 2009 E93 335I

Quote:

Connect app to vehicle.
Click vehicle
Click vehicle order
Click edit
Click save

This should turn on FTM.
Sorry, I know this is an old thread, but wanted to know if this is all that's needed to enable FTM with Protool. So does deselecting $2VB automatically add $265 to the VO when doing this with protools? I briefly went into the menus on mine today, and while I see the option to unchecked $2VB, I didn't notice an option to add $265.

Thanks in advance!
Appreciate 0
      04-05-2024, 12:06 AM   #41
Serf27
Brigadier General
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by BalanBro View Post
Sorry, I know this is an old thread, but wanted to know if this is all that's needed to enable FTM with Protool. So does deselecting $2VB automatically add $265 to the VO when doing this with protools? I briefly went into the menus on mine today, and while I see the option to unchecked $2VB, I didn't notice an option to add $265.

Thanks in advance!
VO $265 isn’t on the app and it won’t appear in your VO.

Just remove $2VB and click save to CAS & FRM, click ok when it asks to recode affected modules, disconnect the TPMS module and it will work.

Any coding you have done on the affected modules will be erased as it default coded them.
Appreciate 2
      04-19-2024, 08:31 AM   #42
BalanBro
Rep
Drives: 2009 E93 335I

Quote:
VO $265 isn’t on the app and it won’t appear in your VO.

Just remove $2VB and click save to CAS & FRM, click ok when it asks to recode affected modules, disconnect the TPMS module and it will work.

Any coding you have done on the affected modules will be erased as it default coded them.
I received the same instruction from the moderator on the Protools Facebook page. I can confirm that this indeed disabled the TPMS and activated FTM in both the cluster and my CIC iDrive.

Just wanted to post in case anyone else was wondering about the E9X chassis.
Appreciate 1