F30POST
F30POST
2012-2015 BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum (F30 / F32) | F30POST > Technical Forums > N55 Turbo Engine / Drivetrain / Exhaust Modifications > N55 boost leak test: How to cap off intake?
Studio RSR

04-07-2020, 09:03 PM   #23
Bmwdoubles_
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: BMW F10 535

Garage List
  [0.00]
I got the plugs and ready to test. Mine is a little scary too because my wgdc goes to 100% at 19psi. Face shield and catchers vest time.

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCFu...fWjCtOz49FDMlg
Appreciate 0
      04-08-2020, 11:37 AM   #24
dalderks
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: BMW M235i

Quote:
Originally Posted by thejeremyman9 View Post
Are you a EWG? Also, it would help if you go further in your log so we can see boost up top (say, 6500). Your are off by only 1 psi, which isnt horrible, but the "wavy" nature of the boost control is strange.

In terms of pressurizing, the main thing is that air is going to go past the TB no matter what. So, you cant really pressurize and "hold" that pressure without a constantly supply of air. Assuming you capped off the PCV and the bungs/vaccuum source on the chargepipe, you should be able to set your compressor regulator to the desired pressure and let it continuously flow air to maintain that. You will hear some air going past the TB, etc, but a air leak into the ambient air sounds distinctly different (as you probably heard with the leak you found). I used a cheap harbor freight 3 gallon compressor and its built-in regulator so whatever you have is probably fine. The smaller the compressor the less time you have to find your leak because it has to be off to hear things and the pressure does down pretty quickly. You can also add a gauge inline if desired (or a regulator with built-in gauge, they sell those too).

When i tried to go to like 20psi or higher i did have issues with the tester popping out of the intake. My leak was obvious at 15psi so i didnt really feel the need to go any higher for a sustained period of time.
Yeah, I have an EWG. On the stock tune, the boost didn't have any wavy nature and hit the target almost spot on (at a lower target 10 PSI). I'm still concerned about the STFT values (as you pointed out). It dropped to 0.8 on both runs and I saw it on the stock tune as well (ran prior to fixing the coupler leak). Any other reason this would be so far off?

Unfortunately, I blew up the turbo inlet pipe last night at ~12 PSI. I'm guessing mine had more heat cycles making it brittle. I have a new one on order, but in the mean time, I'll try to get hooked up directly to the turbo to test up to 15 PSI. It'll probably take me a couple days to work through both items, but I'll report back when I know more.
Appreciate 0
      04-08-2020, 12:16 PM   #25
thejeremyman9
Major General
Rep
Drives: 2015 BMW 335i

Quote:
Originally Posted by dalderks View Post
Yeah, I have an EWG. On the stock tune, the boost didn't have any wavy nature and hit the target almost spot on (at a lower target 10 PSI). I'm still concerned about the STFT values (as you pointed out). It dropped to 0.8 on both runs and I saw it on the stock tune as well (ran prior to fixing the coupler leak). Any other reason this would be so far off?

Unfortunately, I blew up the turbo inlet pipe last night at ~12 PSI. I'm guessing mine had more heat cycles making it brittle. I have a new one on order, but in the mean time, I'll try to get hooked up directly to the turbo to test up to 15 PSI. It'll probably take me a couple days to work through both items, but I'll report back when I know more.
I was going to say you should test stock tune again to see if the issue is still there. You might still want to do that because if stock tune before hardware mods was fine and stock tune after hardware mods shows that behavior then you can be pretty confident it is a leak or other issue with the install.

The main reason the STFT would be off is a leak after the MAF when under boost - the DME has already metered that air and when it leaks out there is too much fuel for the amount of air that makes it into the engine so the fuel trims are trying to correct for that. I suppose to could be a O2 sensor or something on that side, but that wouldnt really be consistent with the issue appearing right after the IC+CP install.

Dang, i didn't thing that would happen... I might be more careful of that in the future. Was it the accordion piece or the actual turbo inlet? The later is more difficult to replace, and you might want to just consider an upgrade while you are in there.
Appreciate 1
      04-08-2020, 01:57 PM   #26
dalderks
Enlisted Member
Rep

Quote:
I was going to say you should test stock tune again to see if the issue is still there. You might still want to do that because if stock tune before hardware mods was fine and stock tune after hardware mods shows that behavior then you can be pretty confident it is a leak or other issue with the install.

The main reason the STFT would be off is a leak after the MAF when under boost - the DME has already metered that air and when it leaks out there is too much fuel for the amount of air that makes it into the engine so the fuel trims are trying to correct for that. I suppose to could be a O2 sensor or something on that side, but that wouldnt really be consistent with the issue appearing right after the IC+CP install.

Dang, i didn't thing that would happen... I might be more careful of that in the future. Was it the accordion piece or the actual turbo inlet? The later is more difficult to replace, and you might want to just consider an upgrade while you are in there.
I was having computer issues and got impatient (and bored), so I didn't run a log before installing the hardware (I definitely regret that now). I will jump back to the stock tune to see if the STFT issue is gone at the stock boost level with that coupler tight. Unfortunately, I can't be 100% confident that the stock hardware didn't have the STFT issue (other than never seeing a check engine light)...

It was a little exciting when it popped. Definitely be careful if you do any additional testing! I believe it was the actual turbo inlet because the whole thing is loose now. I was too frustrated last night to pull it out because removing those small CCV hose nuts were hard to reach. I ordered a pure turbo inlet last night - hopefully it comes quickly
Appreciate 0
      04-08-2020, 03:15 PM   #27
thejeremyman9
Major General
Rep

Quote:
I was having computer issues and got impatient (and bored), so I didn't run a log before installing the hardware (I definitely regret that now). I will jump back to the stock tune to see if the STFT issue is gone at the stock boost level with that coupler tight. Unfortunately, I can't be 100% confident that the stock hardware didn't have the STFT issue (other than never seeing a check engine light)...

It was a little exciting when it popped. Definitely be careful if you do any additional testing! I believe it was the actual turbo inlet because the whole thing is loose now. I was too frustrated last night to pull it out because removing those small CCV hose nuts were hard to reach. I ordered a pure turbo inlet last night - hopefully it comes quickly
Ah yeah i always recommend more logging rather than less! I logged my car 100% stock, then logged after IC+CP install before stage 1 tune, then logged after the stage 1 tune. Logs at every step of the way allows you to immediately isolate what the culprit is for any unexpected behavior. Hindsight 20/20 in this case.

I would say be careful with the inlet install as well, because you are introducing another variable. If you have a leak around the inlet (e.g., after the MAF but before the turbo) you can actually cause the opposite problem - letting IN unmetered air. That would have the opposite effect on STFT as leaking OUT unmetered air (as in from a boost leak).

There have been some threads about potential gains using pure inlet on stock turbo application so maybe you will come out of this on top after everything is resolved. I forget exactly how that inlet is designed but it might make it easier to do the pressure tests as well.
Appreciate 0
      04-08-2020, 10:02 PM   #28
Bmwdoubles_
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: BMW F10 535

Garage List
  [0.00]
Thanks for all the help guys! I found most of my leaks but couldn't raise the pressure in my system over 14 psi because t bolt clamps sucks. I'm going to switch to worm clamps and raise it up to 25 psi.

Testing for boost leaks https://f10.5post.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1710112

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCFu...fWjCtOz49FDMlg
Appreciate 0
      04-09-2020, 10:46 AM   #29
dalderks
Enlisted Member
Rep

Quote:
Ah yeah i always recommend more logging rather than less! I logged my car 100% stock, then logged after IC+CP install before stage 1 tune, then logged after the stage 1 tune. Logs at every step of the way allows you to immediately isolate what the culprit is for any unexpected behavior. Hindsight 20/20 in this case.

I would say be careful with the inlet install as well, because you are introducing another variable. If you have a leak around the inlet (e.g., after the MAF but before the turbo) you can actually cause the opposite problem - letting IN unmetered air. That would have the opposite effect on STFT as leaking OUT unmetered air (as in from a boost leak).

There have been some threads about potential gains using pure inlet on stock turbo application so maybe you will come out of this on top after everything is resolved. I forget exactly how that inlet is designed but it might make it easier to do the pressure tests as well.
You can definitely say that again...

As a quick update - the turbo inlet pipe literally just popped straight out of the turbo housing (some good news). It broke off the plastic tab that holds the inlet pipe to the turbo and ripped off the CCV tube connection since it's bolted to the engine block (I think the tube itself is OK). I can post pictures if anyone is interested.

One other thought on the STFT - is it worth throwing new plugs at it? Maybe it's not burning completely at higher RPMs? I'll get some stock tune logs once the new inlet pipe comes in.

Thanks again for the help!
Appreciate 0
      04-09-2020, 12:23 PM   #30
thejeremyman9
Major General
Rep

Quote:
You can definitely say that again...

As a quick update - the turbo inlet pipe literally just popped straight out of the turbo housing (some good news). It broke off the plastic tab that holds the inlet pipe to the turbo and ripped off the CCV tube connection since it's bolted to the engine block (I think the tube itself is OK). I can post pictures if anyone is interested.

One other thought on the STFT - is it worth throwing new plugs at it? Maybe it's not burning completely at higher RPMs? I'll get some stock tune logs once the new inlet pipe comes in.

Thanks again for the help!
Careful with the PCV as people usually report it gets brittle over time. I would be interested to see pictures, and i think anyone else with a high mileage car that tries to do this might have similar issues.

Your STFT was <1 right? That means it is pulling fuel. If you have incomplete combustion you will have unburned O2 in the exhaust. This will cause the AFR to read lean. STFT would then be positive (>1) because the DME would be trying to add fuel to compensate for what it thinks is a lean condition. So, i dont think that theory holds up.
Appreciate 0
      04-13-2020, 11:22 PM   #31
dalderks
Enlisted Member
Rep

Quote:
Careful with the PCV as people usually report it gets brittle over time. I would be interested to see pictures, and i think anyone else with a high mileage car that tries to do this might have similar issues.

Your STFT was <1 right? That means it is pulling fuel. If you have incomplete combustion you will have unburned O2 in the exhaust. This will cause the AFR to read lean. STFT would then be positive (>1) because the DME would be trying to add fuel to compensate for what it thinks is a lean condition. So, i dont think that theory holds up.
Here are a couple pictures of the turbo inlet pipe. I used a mirror to inspect the turbo housing. The nut is still attached to the housing, but it shouldn't impede the new inlet pipe.

That's right (STFT < 1). I also noticed that the AFR goes up at the same time the STFT goes down. That might also track with a boost leak if the AFR is based on the MAF sensor (i.e. MAF is showing more air than is making it to the engine) (I'm not sure, I'm still learning).

The new pipe should be here tomorrow. Hopefully I'll have more info soon.
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      04-14-2020, 08:48 PM   #32
thejeremyman9
Major General
Rep

Quote:
Here are a couple pictures of the turbo inlet pipe. I used a mirror to inspect the turbo housing. The nut is still attached to the housing, but it shouldn't impede the new inlet pipe.

That's right (STFT < 1). I also noticed that the AFR goes up at the same time the STFT goes down. That might also track with a boost leak if the AFR is based on the MAF sensor (i.e. MAF is showing more air than is making it to the engine) (I'm not sure, I'm still learning).

The new pipe should be here tomorrow. Hopefully I'll have more info soon.
STFT probably goes down because AFR goes up. It's trying to correct for what it thinks is a lean condition. The AFR is not based on the MAF but rather the primary O2 sensor reading. The O2 is basically used to correct the AFR towards target AFR by adjusting the STFT. Think of it in this somewhat oversimplified way:

1. MAF reading tells DME how much air is coming in, it calculates required fuel. (If you have a boost leak after the MAF, there is going to be too much fuel because not all this air made it into the engine).

2. After combustion, the O2 sensor is used to determine how much O2 is still in the exhaust (calculates AFR). DME compares this AFR to target and adjusts STFT to either add fuel if too lean (STFT > 1) or pull fuel if rich (< 1).
Appreciate 0
      05-04-2020, 11:00 PM   #33
dalderks
Enlisted Member
Rep

Quote:
STFT probably goes down because AFR goes up. It's trying to correct for what it thinks is a lean condition. The AFR is not based on the MAF but rather the primary O2 sensor reading. The O2 is basically used to correct the AFR towards target AFR by adjusting the STFT. Think of it in this somewhat oversimplified way:

1. MAF reading tells DME how much air is coming in, it calculates required fuel. (If you have a boost leak after the MAF, there is going to be too much fuel because not all this air made it into the engine).

2. After combustion, the O2 sensor is used to determine how much O2 is still in the exhaust (calculates AFR). DME compares this AFR to target and adjusts STFT to either add fuel if too lean (STFT > 1) or pull fuel if rich (< 1).
Sorry for the delay - the turbo inlet was a bigger PITA than I expected and I got side tracked on some other projects. Thanks again for taking the time to explain the details. I've been trying to learn as much as I can along the way.

After getting the inlet installed, I was able to flash back to the stock tune and grab a new log. I basically don't drive any more, so this is still on the same fuel from my very first post. The the boost control, timing, and STFT seem better overall (still not ideal from my uneducated perspective). Any other inputs?

Car config: VRSF CP + IC, Dinan air intake
1st log (BM3 stage 1, 91 oct, boost leak at CP coupler): https://www.bootmod3.net/log?id=5e89...729b33bc694c05
2nd log (BM3 stage 1, 91 oct, fixed boost leak at CP coupler): https://www.bootmod3.net/log?id=5e8b...729b14ca1ecde9
3rd log (stock tune, Pure Turbo inlet): https://www.bootmod3.net/log?id=5eac...90c6392c2ea609
Appreciate 0
      05-04-2020, 11:48 PM   #34
thejeremyman9
Major General
Rep

Quote:
Sorry for the delay - the turbo inlet was a bigger PITA than I expected and I got side tracked on some other projects. Thanks again for taking the time to explain the details. I've been trying to learn as much as I can along the way.

After getting the inlet installed, I was able to flash back to the stock tune and grab a new log. I basically don't drive any more, so this is still on the same fuel from my very first post. The the boost control, timing, and STFT seem better overall (still not ideal from my uneducated perspective). Any other inputs?

Car config: VRSF CP + IC, Dinan air intake
1st log (BM3 stage 1, 91 oct, boost leak at CP coupler): https://www.bootmod3.net/log?id=5e89...729b33bc694c05
2nd log (BM3 stage 1, 91 oct, fixed boost leak at CP coupler): https://www.bootmod3.net/log?id=5e8b...729b14ca1ecde9
3rd log (stock tune, Pure Turbo inlet): https://www.bootmod3.net/log?id=5eac...90c6392c2ea609
The timing and boost control look OK in the stock log (3rd log). I thought the slow throttle opening looked weird but i looked back at one of my first logs every when stock and i saw that as well, so i think its normal. STFT is quite negative though... like 15-20% fuel being pulled. In my stock log i was only at like -2%.

In the 2nd log, the boost control actually looks pretty good. Timing looks even but only 6.5 deg seems low... maybe becuase you let off early. However STFT still very negative in the 20-25% range. No obvious reason why to me... if you had a huge boost leak letting out metered air i would think you would see it in boost control and WGDC, but i dont. The only other thing i noticed is that MAF seems pretty unsteady... I looked at my logs and its just a smooth curve. Some people have good luck cleaning their MAF, might be something worth trying. I forgot the exact cleaner used, but its very delicate, so make sure you read up on that if you are going to try that. Inaccurate MAF readings could cause the STFT to need to compensate if the actual amount of air going into the engine is much different than what was expected. Just a hypothesis since nothing else stands out to me.
Appreciate 0
      05-21-2020, 10:43 PM   #35
obeeone
Private
Rep
Drives: 2015 BMW 335i xDrive

Garage List
Boost Leak Test

So after upgrading the the MHD stage 2+ map on my shakedown runs I was getting a really weird howling sound like letting the air our of balloon slowly while pulling the edges. I made a video of the noise and the tester I used to pressurize the system.

My tester is from an old 300zx TT that I used to have and thought it would work great for this application. I was a little small at only 3.125" OD so I added some chrome plating masking rubber that I happened to have around which worked great to seal up the inlet for the most part (see video end).

I did not have to plug the pcv system or the outlet bung from the CP to the transmission breather line. The only line that leaked was the vacuum fitting from air box which I plugged with a 3/16 vacuum fitting that was laying around.

I ended up using my tire inflator that locks onto the valve stem so I can keep the system pressurized while I check for the leak. Worked great as the system will bleed down once unplugged.

This is a video that I took which shows the noise clearly and how just moving the clamp slightly changed the sound so I knew the leak was there.
https://youtu.be/wzH9WGP-2cg

So far I have only driven the car about 3 miles since fixing and still have not been WOT since flashing as I'm taking it slow and checking for these small issues. I plan to get a good 100 miles in the next day or two so I'll know if everything is working fine and I'll be creating some logs as well.

Last edited by obeeone; 05-21-2020 at 10:48 PM..
Appreciate 0
      05-21-2020, 11:08 PM   #36
thejeremyman9
Major General
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by obeeone View Post
So after upgrading the the MHD stage 2+ map on my shakedown runs I was getting a really weird howling sound like letting the air our of balloon slowly while pulling the edges. I made a video of the noise and the tester I used to pressurize the system.

My tester is from an old 300zx TT that I used to have and thought it would work great for this application. I was a little small at only 3.125" OD so I added some chrome plating masking rubber that I happened to have around which worked great to seal up the inlet for the most part (see video end).

I did not have to plug the pcv system or the outlet bung from the CP to the transmission breather line. The only line that leaked was the vacuum fitting from air box which I plugged with a 3/16 vacuum fitting that was laying around.

I ended up using my tire inflator that locks onto the valve stem so I can keep the system pressurized while I check for the leak. Worked great as the system will bleed down once unplugged.

This is a video that I took which shows the noise clearly and how just moving the clamp slightly changed the sound so I knew the leak was there.
https://youtu.be/wzH9WGP-2cg

So far I have only driven the car about 3 miles since fixing and still have not been WOT since flashing as I'm taking it slow and checking for these small issues. I plan to get a good 100 miles in the next day or two so I'll know if everything is working fine and I'll be creating some logs as well.
The coupler still didnt look ideally situated but i guess as long as it doesnt leak.

I also had mine blow out once or twice lol
Appreciate 0
      05-22-2020, 09:38 AM   #37
obeeone
Private
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
The coupler still didnt look ideally situated but i guess as long as it doesnt leak.

I also had mine blow out once or twice lol
Yeah, I'm not sure how everyone else's couplers went on, but that thing was a pain. Not sure if Xdrive makes it any more tight, but there is a bracket holding some wiring attached to the AC compressor that really leaves no room for the lower clamp and that's why it's turned the way it is. I did check it with a mirror before tightening the bottom clamp and the lower section is perfectly set. I then inserted the upper pipe and connected that to the throttle body before tightening the upper clamp and that's how it sits. So far no leaks, but who knows as I run it for a while.

Also, yeah it's quite the surprise when that tester blows out and reading back about dalderks inlet breaking I don't want to have to test too often.
Appreciate 0
      05-22-2020, 10:21 AM   #38
thejeremyman9
Major General
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by obeeone View Post
Yeah, I'm not sure how everyone else's couplers went on, but that thing was a pain. Not sure if Xdrive makes it any more tight, but there is a bracket holding some wiring attached to the AC compressor that really leaves no room for the lower clamp and that's why it's turned the way it is. I did check it with a mirror before tightening the bottom clamp and the lower section is perfectly set. I then inserted the upper pipe and connected that to the throttle body before tightening the upper clamp and that's how it sits. So far no leaks, but who knows as I run it for a while.

Also, yeah it's quite the surprise when that tester blows out and reading back about dalderks inlet breaking I don't want to have to test too often.
Also you said you didnt plug PCV or the other breather line... i dont think you HAVE to but i believe you are just pressurizing your crankcase and whatever the other line goes to (EVAP?) which is not ideal.
Appreciate 0
      05-22-2020, 01:13 PM   #39
obeeone
Private
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Also you said you didnt plug PCV or the other breather line... i dont think you HAVE to but i believe you are just pressurizing your crankcase and whatever the other line goes to (EVAP?) which is not ideal.
Yeah, that's true, could potentially cause and issue blowing out seals so I'll probably disconnect those if I ever have to do this again.
Appreciate 0
      05-25-2020, 04:39 AM   #40
harkes
Colonel
China
Rep
Drives: M135i, E39 M5, NSX and AE86

How fast should pressure drop to consider the system leak free?
      05-25-2020, 02:50 PM   #41
hardparker
Father of Frankenfold
Rep
Drives: Yo daddy's 2014 X3 M Sport

Garage List
2013 BMW X1  [0.00]
2014 BMW X3  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by harkes View Post
How fast should pressure drop to consider the system leak free?
If you pressure test to 20 PSI or more, it should take 30 seconds to a minute to leak down past the piston rings.
      06-08-2020, 11:19 PM   #42
dalderks
Enlisted Member
Rep

Quote:
The timing and boost control look OK in the stock log (3rd log). I thought the slow throttle opening looked weird but i looked back at one of my first logs every when stock and i saw that as well, so i think its normal. STFT is quite negative though... like 15-20% fuel being pulled. In my stock log i was only at like -2%.

In the 2nd log, the boost control actually looks pretty good. Timing looks even but only 6.5 deg seems low... maybe becuase you let off early. However STFT still very negative in the 20-25% range. No obvious reason why to me... if you had a huge boost leak letting out metered air i would think you would see it in boost control and WGDC, but i dont. The only other thing i noticed is that MAF seems pretty unsteady... I looked at my logs and its just a smooth curve. Some people have good luck cleaning their MAF, might be something worth trying. I forgot the exact cleaner used, but its very delicate, so make sure you read up on that if you are going to try that. Inaccurate MAF readings could cause the STFT to need to compensate if the actual amount of air going into the engine is much different than what was expected. Just a hypothesis since nothing else stands out to me.
Finally got through some more troubleshooting and wanted to report back in case anyone runs into the same problem or has other insights. I have to admit, I'm still not 100% what finally did it, but I'll layout what happened.

First off, thanks again thejeremyman9 - I've read lots of your posts on other threads which have helped me a lot along the way.

From previous post:
Car config: VRSF CP + IC, Dinan air intake + "92 octane gas (WA state)"

New info/logs:
Cleaned MAF sensor - did some quick logs to check MAF sensor reading and it looked worse.... Decide to go back to the stock intake and filter.
4th log (stock tune, Pure Turbo inlet, stock airbox and panel filter): https://www.bootmod3.net/log?id=5ec9...90c60b01ec0350
Finally, a slight improvement in the STFT - only pulled ~11-12% fuel (so still not great). Didn't see much improvement in the MAF readings. Boost looks good and smallish timing correction. Decided to try a new MAF sensor.
5th log (stock tune, Pure Turbo inlet, stock airbox and panel filter, new MAF sensor): https://www.bootmod3.net/log?id=5ecd...0b4373874eeb82
A short log, but STFT only pulls ~6% fuel. I thought the MAF reading looked smoother (still kind of choppy). Timing is even across all the cylinders.
6th log (stage 1 ACN91, Pure Turbo inlet, stock airbox and panel filter, new MAF sensor): https://www.bootmod3.net/log?id=5edd...90c60722a9a16d
STFT pulls 5% at one point, but closer to ~2-3% throughout . MAF readings the wavy boost characteristic is back (maybe it's a stage 1 thing? I don't see a lot of stage 1 logs), and I still get some timing corrections. I found another post by trialmountain having a similar octane issue in Washington State (same neighborhood)... How can they claim it's 92 octane if the 91 ACN is still pulling timing...

Long story short, it appears that I've solved my STFT issue, and I don't think I have a boost leak any more (still not 100% - I can't bring myself to try the pressure test again). I'm not 100% satisfied with the boost characteristics (just seems weird), but that's probably a topic for a different thread (worth trying MHD?)...

Thanks for the help, and let me know if you have other suggestions.

Last edited by dalderks; 06-08-2020 at 11:25 PM..
Appreciate 0
      06-08-2020, 11:39 PM   #43
thejeremyman9
Major General
Rep

Quote:
Finally got through some more troubleshooting and wanted to report back in case anyone runs into the same problem or has other insights. I have to admit, I'm still not 100% what finally did it, but I'll layout what happened.

First off, thanks again thejeremyman9 - I've read lots of your posts on other threads which have helped me a lot along the way.

From previous post:
Car config: VRSF CP + IC, Dinan air intake + "92 octane gas (WA state)"

New info/logs:
Cleaned MAF sensor - did some quick logs to check MAF sensor reading and it looked worse.... Decide to go back to the stock intake and filter.
4th log (stock tune, Pure Turbo inlet, stock airbox and panel filter): https://www.bootmod3.net/log?id=5ec9...90c60b01ec0350
Finally, a slight improvement in the STFT - only pulled ~11-12% fuel (so still not great). Didn't see much improvement in the MAF readings. Boost looks good and smallish timing correction. Decided to try a new MAF sensor.
5th log (stock tune, Pure Turbo inlet, stock airbox and panel filter, new MAF sensor): https://www.bootmod3.net/log?id=5ecd...0b4373874eeb82
A short log, but STFT only pulls ~6% fuel. I thought the MAF reading looked smoother (still kind of choppy). Timing is even across all the cylinders.
6th log (stage 1 ACN91, Pure Turbo inlet, stock airbox and panel filter, new MAF sensor): https://www.bootmod3.net/log?id=5edd...90c60722a9a16d
STFT pulls 5% at one point, but closer to ~2-3% throughout . MAF readings the wavy boost characteristic is back (maybe it's a stage 1 thing? I don't see a lot of stage 1 logs), and I still get some timing corrections. I found another post by trialmountain having a similar octane issue in Washington State (same neighborhood)... How can they claim it's 92 octane if the 91 ACN is still pulling timing...

Long story short, it appears that I've solved my STFT issue, and I don't think I have a boost leak any more (still not 100% - I can't bring myself to try the pressure test again). I'm not 100% satisfied with the boost characteristics (just seems weird), but that's probably a topic for a different thread (worth trying MHD?)...

Thanks for the help, and let me know if you have other suggestions.
Have you given the 91 map a shot again how that you fixed all your issues? I would, especially now that areas should be switching off winter blend fuel. I vaguely recall seeing the wavy boost thing in other ACN logs... i think the ACN tune is just not as refined as the stage 2 and other OTS maps that are much more widely used. I would try stage 1 91 again and see how it goes. Drive around for a bit, log, and take a look at timing.

I looked at the ACN log and it does look good for the most part, but timing is so low, you are leaving a lot of power on the table. It would also be informative to see how boost control it on the stage 1 91 map compared to the ACN, all else being equal.

Also, not sure if you followed some of the other threads recently but two other people with dinan air intake had oddly low and erratic MAF readings. I would keep the stock intake with a dry drop-in filter.
Appreciate 0
      06-09-2020, 12:01 AM   #44
dalderks
Enlisted Member
Rep

Quote:
Have you given the 91 map a shot again how that you fixed all your issues? I would, especially now that areas should be switching off winter blend fuel. I vaguely recall seeing the wavy boost thing in other ACN logs... i think the ACN tune is just not as refined as the stage 2 and other OTS maps that are much more widely used. I would try stage 1 91 again and see how it goes. Drive around for a bit, log, and take a look at timing.

I looked at the ACN log and it does look good for the most part, but timing is so low, you are leaving a lot of power on the table. It would also be informative to see how boost control it on the stage 1 91 map compared to the ACN, all else being equal.

Also, not sure if you followed some of the other threads recently but two other people with dinan air intake had oddly low and erratic MAF readings. I would keep the stock intake with a dry drop-in filter.
That's a good idea. I'll give it a shot this week/weekend.

I haven't seen that - I'll have to do some searching. I did read about it on other intakes before purchasing the Dinan one (before looking into tuning) - I guess they weren't immune. Definitely got too excited one day and spent way too much money on a sound box... live and learn I guess. I'm looking at the afe pro dry s, but haven't pulled the trigger.
Appreciate 0