E90Post

Studio RSR

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90 / E92 / E93 3-series Powertrain and Drivetrain Discussions > N54 Turbo Engine / Drivetrain / Exhaust Modifications - 335i > Will the DME try to protect the engine when it’s not up to operating temp?

02-28-2020, 11:00 AM   #1
iqraceworks
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: 2007 335i

Question Will the DME try to protect the engine when it’s not up to operating temp?

I was in my car this morning (07’ 335i) on the way to work (very cold out), and before the oil temp was much over 100 degrees, I had a situation when I needed to get on the gas hard to avoid getting in an accident. I was able to avoid the accident, but the car felt pretty weak….like the DME didn’t open the throttle all the way, or was holding back on boost.

I’m assuming this is normal, and there is something going on where the DME won’t put a big load on the motor, or won’t go full throttle until the engine is up to temp? Just over 100 degrees is still pretty cold….and things aren’t all warmed up and ready for action yet. I usually won’t get on the throttle hard until the oil temp is at least over 180-ish.

Just wondering….
2007 335i, BMS DCI, BMS Chargepipe w/Tial BOV, ARM Catless Downpipes, silicone inlets, Bilstein B12 Prokit Suspension, Whiteline subframe bushings, Front/Rear M3 control arms, G-Plus FMIC, Stage 2 LPFP, Custom E40 tune by Justin (V8Bait), xHP stage 3 transmission flash, RB Two Turbos....10.90 @ 128mph
Appreciate 0
      02-28-2020, 11:49 AM   #2
stewbets
Captain
Rep
Drives: '08 335xi, '04 545i

I have been known to "accidentally" punch it on a coldish engine. I haven't noticed my DME holding me back in those situations.
Appreciate 0
      02-28-2020, 03:05 PM   #3
Jeff@TopGearSolutions
United_States
Rep
Drives: C6 Z06, 09 335i, 10 335xi

Quote:
Originally Posted by iqraceworks View Post
I was in my car this morning (07’ 335i) on the way to work (very cold out), and before the oil temp was much over 100 degrees, I had a situation when I needed to get on the gas hard to avoid getting in an accident. I was able to avoid the accident, but the car felt pretty weak….like the DME didn’t open the throttle all the way, or was holding back on boost.

I’m assuming this is normal, and there is something going on where the DME won’t put a big load on the motor, or won’t go full throttle until the engine is up to temp? Just over 100 degrees is still pretty cold….and things aren’t all warmed up and ready for action yet. I usually won’t get on the throttle hard until the oil temp is at least over 180-ish.

Just wondering….
The short answer is no but your tune might have something. Back in the day some piggybacks wouldn't let you get full boost until oil temps hit 160F.
Although 100F isn't ideal it should not cause catastrophic failure either. Oil still has it's full lubrication properties at the temp in theory.
Appreciate 0
      02-28-2020, 03:10 PM   #4
iqraceworks
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: 2007 335i

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeff@TopGearSolutions View Post
The short answer is no but your tune might have something. Back in the day some piggybacks wouldn't let you get full boost until oil temps hit 160F.
Although 100F isn't ideal it should not cause catastrophic failure either. Oil still has it's full lubrication properties at the temp in theory.
Does the DME use different target AFR's when the motor is cold and not warmed up? Does it use "open loop" pre-determined fuel tables until the coolant temp hits a certain level, and then switch over to closed loop where it's going off of the O2 sensors?

I'm just wondering....because that's how my MINI S works.
Appreciate 0