E90Post

TNT Racewerks

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > BMW E90/E92/E93 3-series General Forums > General E90 Sedan / E91 Wagon / E92 Coupe / E93 Cabrio > I must have made a mistake putting the dash back in

04-06-2024, 09:25 PM   #1
Horokiwi_Hori
New Zealand
Rep
Drives: BMW M3

I must have made a mistake putting the dash back in

My latest showstopper, after learning my heater core was leaking and replacing that.
Replacing the heater core required removing the dashboard, and unplugging a lot of connections, removing the driver's airbag (My car is RHD DCT 2013 e92 M3) passengers' airbag etc. I undid the bolts and lifted the drivers and passengers' seats back for better access. I did not unplug the seats.
I know there is a lot of opportunity to make a mistake on re-assembly and I was really careful but must have made a mistake somewhere. After I had reassembled the car, it wouldn't start.
When I insert the key the I-drive looks to be starting as usual, there is a small airbag error on the dash. Strangely, the light on the gear selector goes out. A larger airbag error lights on the dash. There is the large red airbag warning, a smaller red airbag and a red restraint warning illuminated.
The lights and radio work, seats go up and down but the engine will not start, no click sound, nothing.
I have checked the fuses but can find nothing. Checked the plugs and cables under the seats and on the airbags themselves. I'm really hoping there may be a diagnostic process I can try before starting to pull the Dashboard out. I'm not sure I'll find anything pulling it apart again. Any help would be great. Thanks to everyone who contributes to this forum.
Appreciate 0
      04-09-2024, 12:32 AM   #2
Horokiwi_Hori
New Zealand
Rep

Can anyone offer a method using bimmergeeks cable?

I have the Bimmergeeks cable and the basic bimmergeeks tools. Does anyone know what tool to use to interrogate the modules relating to restraint errors that might stop the engine start sequence?
Appreciate 0
      04-09-2024, 12:30 PM   #3
gbalthrop
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: 2007 328xi E91

Quote:
Originally Posted by Horokiwi_Hori View Post
... Replacing the heater core required removing the dashboard, and unplugging a lot of connections, removing the driver's airbag (My car is RHD DCT 2013 e92 M3) passengers' airbag etc... After I had reassembled the car, it wouldn't start. When I insert the key the I-drive looks to be starting as usual... Strangely, the light on the gear selector goes out... There is the large red airbag warning, a smaller red airbag and a red restraint warning illuminated. The lights and radio work, seats go up and down but the engine will not start, no click sound, nothing. [NO Crank?]...
Quote:
I have the Bimmergeeks cable and the basic bimmergeeks tools. [Do you mean you have BG K+DCAN Cable & BMW Standard Tools (which include INPA), from BimmerGeeks?] Does anyone know what tool to use to interrogate the modules relating to restraint errors that might stop the engine start sequence?
MRS (Multiple Restraint System) or "restraint" errors will NOT prevent CAS Module from sending "KL50" Voltage Signal to Starter Solenoid, & Starter "Crank" of Engine. If you have a "NO Crank" situation, where the Instrument Cluster Lights (as it should) when START button is pressed WITHOUT pressing Brake/Clutch, but when you press Brake/Clutch and press START again, NO sound/click from ANYWHERE, there are probably REQUIRED INPUTS to the CAS Module that are NOT being received.

INPA is one of the "BMW Standard Tools". It is "BMW Factory-Level Diagnostic Software", and provides the BEST data for diagnosis. See the attached pdf: "INPA Tutorial Quickstart" for an Outline of the Capabilities of INPA, HOW to get started, HOW to save INPA ScreenPrints & post them HERE, with example INPA ScreenPrints from my 3/2007 build 328xi, N52K, E91.

WHERE to START:
1) Review the attached pdf;
2) Test your INPA installation (Per "I. Procedure:..." in pdf);
3) Select "Functional Jobs" & View/Save/Post screens: (a) F2 Identification & (b) F4 > F1 Error Memory, ALL Modules (2-pages);
4) Confirm you have "DKG" or Twin-Clutch Gearbox;
5) Provide: Last-7 Characters of VIN;
6) Did you open the E-Box under Hood? Did you dismantle the center Console at Driver's Left Elbow?

With that information, we can suggest "Next Steps". If you get impatient waiting for Half-day+ Response Time difference, try this:

Next Steps:
The CAS Module MUST receive INPUTS from "Safety" switches that show Gear Selector is in Park/Neutral, & that Brake/Clutch is pressed. The nature of those signals depends upon your Transmission Type. Brake Switch & Clutch Switch signals are via "hardwire", & AT Selector Position is via BUS. The fact that your "light on gear selector goes out" is significant.

I'm NOT familiar with the M3, or DKG, but on my GM6 AT, there are LED's at gear selector that show Selector Switch Position (P,R,N,D), & ALSO the "Gear Selected" is displayed on Lower Instrument Cluster Display. If the PT-CAN Bus signal is NOT received by the KOMBI Module (Instrument Cluster), THAT is significant & suggests your CAS is NOT receiving Gear Selector Position, and therefore CANNOT Activate Starter (KL50 signal from CAS to Starter Solenoid). I attach example INPA ScreenPrints from my 3/2007 CAS & GS1912 AT Module to NEXT Post, to be used as example references for suggested steps below:

1) Using INPA, Connect to CAS Module, to view various INPUTS to CAS:
INPA > CAS (Body | Car Access System) > F5 Status > F1 Digital > F1 Discrete HW Inputs; ALSO view F5 > F1 > F2 Status Terminal Control, for Brake/ Clutch/ Gear Inputs (circles FILLED/ BLACK when signal received.

Note that there are "Ribbon Cable" connections between CAS, Remote Key Insert Compartment, & START button. Various digital signals cause circles to fill if those connections are intact. You CAN'T harm anything by using "F5 Status" to view Signal Inputs -- you're JUST LOOKING.

2) INPA ALSO shows "CAS Terminal Voltages" which give clues as to its "Activations" of Ignition Relay (KL15), Accessory Relay (KL30G), Radio & BrakeLights (KLR) & Starter Solenoid (KL50).
INPA > CAS > F5 > Analog > F1 CAS Diagnose Terminals

If questions, please post ScreenPrints of your INPA Screens, or if Error messages appear, post ScreenPrints of Error Message & what "buttons pushed" to cause Error Message.
George
Attached Images
File Type: pdf INPA Tutorial Quickstart.pdf (591.1 KB, 19 views)
Appreciate 3
      04-09-2024, 12:36 PM   #4
gbalthrop
Brigadier General
Rep

Attached are INPA ScreenPrints from 3/2007 328xi CAS Module, as Described in Prior Post. The 1st CAS Terminal Status
Screen is Ignition ON, and 2nd Screen is with START & Brake Pressed, Starter Cranking Engine.
George
Attached Images

Appreciate 1
      04-13-2024, 12:53 AM   #5
Horokiwi_Hori
New Zealand
Rep

Failure to launch on two different laptops

Thanks so much for offering a way forward.
I can't get to the F2 Identification section of the INPA software. I tried two different laptops and got th same error:
Jobstatus: IFH-003: DATATRANSMISSION TO INTERFACE DISTURBED

I'll try my INPA install and cable on a friends car. The INPA software said "Cable Detected" but I did not notice a change with the key on or off.

WHERE to START:
1) Review the attached pdf; Yes
2) Test your INPA installation (Per "I. Procedure:..." in pdf); inconclusive
3) Select "Functional Jobs" & View/Save/Post screens: (a) F2 Identification & (b) F4 > F1 Error Memory, ALL Modules (2-pages); attempted
4) Confirm you have "DKG" or Twin-Clutch Gearbox; Twin-Clutch
5) Provide: Last-7 Characters of VIN; J530664
6) Did you open the E-Box under Hood? Not Sure about this, I took the covers of the cabin filters and Did you dismantle the center Console at Driver's Left Elbow? Yes I had this console disconnected and out.
Attached Images

Last edited by Horokiwi_Hori; 04-13-2024 at 01:11 AM..
Appreciate 0
      04-13-2024, 06:16 AM   #6
Hoody007
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: 335i ZMZ LCI | 850i/6

Quote:
Thanks so much for offering a way forward.
I can't get to the F2 Identification section of the INPA software. I tried two different laptops and got th same error:

I'll try my INPA install and cable on a friends car. The INPA software said "Cable Detected" but I did not notice a change with the key on or off.

WHERE to START:
1) Review the attached pdf; Yes
2) Test your INPA installation (Per "I. Procedure:..." in pdf); inconclusive
3) Select "Functional Jobs" & View/Save/Post screens: (a) F2 Identification & (b) F4 > F1 Error Memory, ALL Modules (2-pages); attempted
4) Confirm you have "DKG" or Twin-Clutch Gearbox; Twin-Clutch
5) Provide: Last-7 Characters of VIN; J530664
6) Did you open the E-Box under Hood? Not Sure about this, I took the covers of the cabin filters and Did you dismantle the center Console at Driver's Left Elbow? Yes I had this console disconnected and out.
Check device manager - what is the latency set to in the COM port? Should be 1. I’d double check your connections. I’m attempting this next month (335i though), so I’m very interested in what it ends up being!

Good news is it worked before. So it’s just a matter of retracing your steps…
Appreciate 1
      04-13-2024, 07:40 AM   #7
Horokiwi_Hori
New Zealand
Rep

thanks for offering an assist

I'm familiar with editing EDIBAS.INI and OBD.INI files located in C:\EDIBAS\BIN\ and I keep rechecking my port settings. Latency and Com Port are set to 1.
Appreciate 0
      04-13-2024, 10:46 AM   #8
gbalthrop
Brigadier General
Rep

Quote:
... I can't get to the F2 Identification section of the INPA software. I tried two different laptops [BUT SAME Cable?] and got the same error:
I don't know anything about the M3 with S65, but my INPA installation (BimmerGeeks) has DME (MSS60) selection for that in "E90" chassis.

Are you using a K+DCAN Cable? Does it have a "Slide Switch"? If so, that bridges pins, and if in WRONG position, it can affect/prevent Data Transmission. CORRECT Position for BG K+DCAN Cable slide switch (at least for my 3/2007 E91 ;-) is discussed in "I. Procedure..." of INPA Tutorial attached to Post #3. Wiring of OBD II Socket varies by Model/Year.
George
Appreciate 1
      04-13-2024, 07:14 PM   #9
Horokiwi_Hori
New Zealand
Rep

Thanks George!
I managed to pull screen shots of the modules and CAS inputs.
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      04-13-2024, 07:16 PM   #10
Horokiwi_Hori
New Zealand
Rep

INPA CAS views

Here are the screenshots I grabbed following your instructions. Thanks again.
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      04-13-2024, 07:22 PM   #11
Horokiwi_Hori
New Zealand
Rep

I noticed the brake indication going on and off in the System Status Clamp screen when I pressed and released the brake.
Watching the CAS Diagnose Ignition voltages, I saw Voltage spikes on HALL-12 and HALL-34. I did not notice any changes pushing the brake pedal or start button.
Appreciate 0
      04-16-2024, 10:16 PM   #12
Horokiwi_Hori
New Zealand
Rep

I noticed in your pic of system status clamp, it shows key lock illuminated, not sure why mine isn't lit? I tried both keys and the seats adjust for the different preferences?
Appreciate 0
      04-17-2024, 09:54 AM   #13
gbalthrop
Brigadier General
Rep

Quote:
I noticed the brake indication going on and off in the System Status Clamp screen when I pressed and released the brake.
Watching the CAS Diagnose Ignition voltages, I saw Voltage spikes on HALL-12 and HALL-34. I did not notice any changes pushing the brake pedal or start button.
Quote:
I noticed in your pic of system status clamp, it shows key lock illuminated, not sure why mine isn't lit? I tried both keys and the seats adjust for the different preferences?
Sorry to NOT respond sooner; I lost track of this thread.
Glad to see you've got INPA working.
My interpretation of the ScreenPrints you posted:

1) There MAY be an issue with the Insert Compartment, OR the Ribbon Cable that connects it to the CAS Module. That is based upon facts noted below and your statement that the dash was disassembled to replace Heater Core.

2) You do NOT indicate the Status of Ignition Switch or Remote Key in Insert Compartment when the CAS Terminal Status screen was saved, per 1st attachment to Post #10. That screen SHOULD look like my 3rd attachment to Post #4: The KL15 Voltages SHOULD be Battery Voltage. Unless you are showing that Screen AFTER turning Ignition OFF (KL30G remains activated for several minutes after Ignition OFF), there is an issue with CAS Activation of KL15/ Ignition.

4) "12 DME" appearing in Control Unit List and Error Memory list indicates fuse F4 is intact and that there is power (via F4) & ground to the DME, but it is likely that you CANNOT view "Live Data" (INPA > DME > F5 Status) because KL15 & KL87 (DME Main Relay) are NOT operating. Try viewing DME Live Data & let us know what you find.

5) Fault Codes in KOMBI & IHKA indicate NO signal from DME.

Questions:
1) When you Insert Remote Key in Insert Compartment, is there an Audible "Click" as the Remote Key Locks into place? Your 3rd attachment to Post #10, System Status Terminal [Clamp] Control has NO Filled Circle for "Key Lock".

2) I presume you DO have Both KL30G & KLR active and showing Battery Voltage when Remote Key is inserted?

3) With Remote Key inserted, Press START button, WITHOUT pressing Brake/Clutch. Instrument Cluster should LIGHT, & KL15-1/2/3 should read Battery Voltage. If those events do NOT occur, you have a CAS wiring issue, such as damaged/ disconnected Ribbon Cable.

4) When Viewing CAS > F5 > F2 > F1 CAS Terminal Status, Analog, it is NORMAL for the Hall 12 & Hall 34 Voltages to "blink" periodically. Inserting or Removing/ Ejecting Remote Key SHOULD cause circle to fill on Digital CAS Screen. If that does NOT occur, or if they stay ON, let us know. The two items on TOP Row are voltages measured at two CAS Fuses. On 2008 & Later E9x models: F36 (Load) & F55 (Electronics). Unless those values fluctuate, those fuses appear OK.

I'll look for your reply & post more info.
George
Appreciate 1