E90Post

Extreme Powerhouse

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90 / E92 / E93 3-series Technical Forums > Suspension | Brakes | Chassis > New Brakes, Squeaky Front Passenger at Low Speed

08-01-2013, 07:21 PM   #1
MattGrantham
2008 e93 335i
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2008 e93 335i

Unhappy New Brakes, Squeaky Front Passenger at Low Speed

Hey folks,

I've been holding off on posting and asking for help since I figured the issue would go away with bedding, but it's still rearing it's loud, chirpy, embarrassing head.

I had new Zimmerman cross-drilled rotors and EBC Green Stuff pads installed about 3 months (and ~1500km) ago. I followed doctors orders and drove easy for ~200km around which point I started to notice a high pitched squeak coming from the front passenger brake. The squeaking ONLY occurs at very very low speeds when coming to a stop. This is especially annoying since I live in a busy downtown core and drive an e93 335 so it's super embarrassing with the top down and happens at every intersection.

Notes:

- Issue only occurs when the brakes have had 5-10 stops to warm up a bit. In other words if I leave the car for a few hours I can get around the block a few times before I start hearing the dreaded noise.
- I can sort of get around the issue by slamming on the brakes since it only squeaks with minimal pedal pressure, but it's unavoidable when slowly moving forward in stop and go traffic.
- I realized I hadn't bedded the brakes so took the car out to the country and followed EBC's instructions by performing 2 sets of 5 hard stops from 100km to 10km. After bedding I noticed the sound went away for about a half hour of driving before coming back, so I guess it's possible I didn't bed the brakes "hard" enough. I should add that I noticed a distinct brake smell and slight fade nearing the end of the bedding process.
- I am NOT noticing any squeaking with my foot off the brake pedal when accelerating at low speeds as I know some owners have experienced in the past.
- Went to a parts store and they suggested anti-seize. Picked up a packet but wanted to check with the experts on our cars before jumping in over my head.
- Not sure if this is relevant, but the rim on the affected brake is slightly unbalanced. I'm going to get the car roadforced, but have been busy recently.

Any help is appreciated. If anyone local to Toronto can help, I'd be willing to pay handsomely!
Appreciate 0
      08-01-2013, 10:14 PM   #2
asianstutter
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2006 BMW 330xi

Did you change the brake sensor?
Appreciate 0
      08-01-2013, 11:59 PM   #3
MattGrantham
2008 e93 335i
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2008 e93 335i

Yes, new front and rear sensors were installed. Isn't the front sensor on the driver's side though?
Appreciate 0