XBimmers X1

Go Back   XBimmers | BMW X1 Forum > BMW X1 Forums > General BMW X1 (E84) Forum
Register FAQ Calendar Today's Posts

03-21-2024, 10:50 AM   #1
Jlazar96
Registered
Rep
Drives: BMW X1

Mismatched Tyres = Transfer box problems and stuttering?

Hi all,

Test drove a 2013 X1 yesterday and it going through the revs (not overly hard pull) it would just stutter ever so slightly at around 2-3k. Almost like a misfire.

Annoyed the dealer didn't spot this before of course having driven near 2 hours to get there.

He then spoke to his BMW tech the next day who has said 'X-drive? 100% its tyres'.

Apparently mismatched tyres can cause the transfer box to get a bit iffy and lead to the skipping I felt.

I'm deeply scepitcal.

The tyres were all different (I know, not great but separate issue) but had good tread. It was a mild day, dry tarmac and as I say, not heavy on the throttle. So not as though traction was immediately lacking.

Thoughts?

I've really gone of this car and dealer anyway, but would like to know if there's anything in what they are saying.
Appreciate 0
      03-26-2024, 08:06 PM   #2
maxwmiller
Private
Rep
Drives: 2013 X1 xDrive2.8i

Always remember that car salesmen do not have the highest integrity or IQ. They are neither an engineer nor a mechanic, yet pose as both. Good call to walk away, there's no telling what was actually going on.

Why the car would be on four mismatched tires, I haven't the slightest idea. That is a huge red flag for the rest of the car's care. Probably not stolen if it's at the dealership but the previous owner was likely putting used tires on the car.
Appreciate 0
      03-26-2024, 09:36 PM   #3
wheela
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2015 BMW X1 35i M-sport

Here's an intersting read on how tires can cause issues with x-drive / traction control in these cars.

https://e84.xbimmers.com/forums/show....php?t=1523788
Appreciate 0