European Auto Source (EAS)
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

Go Back   BMW M3 and BMW M4 Forum > BMW F80 M3 / F82 M4 Forum > BMW M3 (F80) and BMW M4 (F82) General Forum

Closed Thread

03-17-2015, 10:31 AM   #529
CSanto
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: 2015 BSM/SO M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by scm6079 View Post
You can't be serious? Vehicles are always updated, always improved -- it's been the business since I've been alive. "Oh please BMW, quit improving your products so my resale value can go to hell while every other manufacturer improves, and your products stagnate."

This isn't like when James May bought a Ferrari 430 right before the 458 was released which changed everything - this is a modest improvement that will come at a price premium.

If the M3 remains dominant, it will help EVERYONE'S resale value - regardless of model.

I, for one, am excited to hear the news, and hope the rumors are true.

-Scott
Of course improvements are going to take place. My question is why a year later?
The F430 came out in 2004 it wasnt until late 2008 that the Scuderia Version was released and that was for a different market all together. The 458 came out in 2010. So first year buyers of the 430 had 6 years before a new model/improvement came out. Even Porsche who is KNOWN for coming out with constant refreshes and models have yet to release their "facelift" and the 991 has been on the road since 2011.
Sure they have released GTS/GT3/Turbo, but those are different buyers/markets.

Point is BMW took advantage of the "gotta have the first year model" customers. I feel foolish for being one of them.
Appreciate 0
      03-17-2015, 10:43 AM   #530
Jockey
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: 992 C4S

Quote:
Originally Posted by CSanto View Post
Of course improvements are going to take place. My question is why a year later?
Exactly. If the ZCP came out for MY17, that would be great and I would half expect that. But after one year, that's a big middle finger to customers (and probably the most loyal who go out and buy a first MY car, sometimes at a premium).

Let's remember, the competition pack came out for the M5 because it was LACKING. The competition pack put the M5 where it should've been in the first place. The F8X on the other hand isn't really lacking anywhere. There is NO reason to rush out a ZCP version in the second model year.
Appreciate 0
      03-17-2015, 10:49 AM   #531
Technic
Lieutenant General
Rep
Drives: 2021 i3S, 2024 i4 M50

Quote:

Point is BMW took advantage of the "gotta have the first year model" customers. I feel foolish for being one of them.
"Foolish" is the wrong word... either you know how BMW historically does its model/improvement releases and plan your purchase accordingly or simply you do not care -as in, you are going to enjoy your car regardless of the known pattern of improvements of each model year.
Appreciate 2
      03-17-2015, 10:59 AM   #532
vstM3
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2015 F80 M3

You're not foolish, these "improvements" are just speculations anyway. Think of it as you are driving a new M3/4 and others are waiting for something better. And when that something better comes you will most likely get it anyway
Appreciate 0
      03-17-2015, 10:59 AM   #533
YolkyPalky
Captain
Rep
Drives: ‘23 X3MC Dark Graphite

Why does anybody care when BMW rolls out ZCP? If you wanted to be a first model-year buyer and have the pleasure of driving an F80 before others, that's your choice. Stop acting like you're getting screwed. There are always running factory changes and new package offerings throughout a model's lifecycle. BMW knows there is a sizable enthusiast market waiting for ZCP. Product lifecycles are becoming shorter and shorter. Honestly we're probably only a couple years away until talk begins of the next iteration of the M3/M4.
Appreciate 0
      03-17-2015, 11:00 AM   #534
Technic
Lieutenant General
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jockey View Post
Exactly. If the ZCP came out for MY17, that would be great and I would half expect that. But after one year, that's a big middle finger to customers (and probably the most loyal who go out and buy a first MY car, sometimes at a premium).

Let's remember, the competition pack came out for the M5 because it was LACKING. The competition pack put the M5 where it should've been in the first place. The F8X on the other hand isn't really lacking anywhere. There is NO reason to rush out a ZCP version in the second model year.
Do you know that for a fact? Did BMW told you that the M5 was "lacking" so they came up with the $7300 ZCP? Really?

What about admitting that you just got your first BMW and suddenly you feel entitled to special treatment?

This F8x forum just transformed into high school.
Appreciate 0
      03-17-2015, 11:07 AM   #535
Jockey
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: 992 C4S

Quote:
Originally Posted by Technic View Post
Do you know that for a fact? Did BMW told you that the M5 was "lacking" so they came up with the $7300 ZCP? Really?

What about admitting that you just got your first BMW and suddenly you feel entitled to special treatment?

This F8x forum just transformed into high school.
How about all the reviews? That should be telling. Steering feel, suspension, etc. I can recall numerous reviews describing how the comp pkg fixed the first model year shortcomings. If you don't want to admit that there was shortcomings the first year the F10 M5, that's fine. That doesn't take away anything from the M5.

By the way, nice ad hominem attack. Way to strengthen your point!
Appreciate 0
      03-17-2015, 11:09 AM   #536
minn19
Lieutenant General
Rep
Drives: 24 Z06, 23 CT4VBW, 22 PFinder

Quote:
"Foolish" is the wrong word... either you know how BMW historically does its model/improvement releases and plan your purchase accordingly or simply you do not care -as in, you are going to enjoy your car regardless of the known pattern of improvements of each model year.
^This. I've had a BMW motorcycle and cars now so I know how they are always tweaking and improving vehicles...sometimes yearly. It is what it is.

Besides, I already can't get 10/10ths out of this car and love it as is. I'm not gonna care if they improve the 0-60 time by 1 tenth of a second or the skid pad number by .02 G.

Last edited by minn19; 03-17-2015 at 11:27 AM..
Appreciate 2
      03-17-2015, 11:10 AM   #537
dmk08
Gone Fishin’
United_States
Rep
Drives: Walks

Quote:
Historically for the M3 platform the ZCP has come after a 3+ years. I expected the same. I had full knowledge the LCI could possibly come out in 2016 due to the F30 and I really didn't care. I knew tail lights can be slapped in more than likely. ZCP I wasn't expecting until I was ready for my next one in 17.
Appreciate 1
      03-17-2015, 11:28 AM   #538
Technic
Lieutenant General
Rep

Just think by yourself... how a "fix" costs $7300?

What about the simplest answer? Another option with minimal corporate investment. That was it. It always is with BMW. When BMW "fixes" something it is a fix for all standard models. They do not make options to fix inherent flaws.

The same will be for the F8x, as it was for the E9x and the E46 M3 ZCP: another option with minimal corporate investment.

Quote:
How about all the reviews? That should be telling. Steering feel, suspension, etc. I can recall numerous reviews describing how the comp pkg fixed the first model year shortcomings. If you don't want to admit that there was shortcomings the first year the F10 M5, that's fine. That doesn't take away anything from the M5.

By the way, nice ad hominem attack. Way to strengthen your point!
Appreciate 0
      03-17-2015, 11:32 AM   #539
mkoesel
United_States
Rep
Drives: No BMW for now

Quote:
a) The typical product development cycle very strongly suggests the package was in development longer than from when negative feedback began to amass.

b) If the goal was to fix problems with the car, they would have simply applied the changes to all models going forward. They would not have limited them to a special package.

c) The M3/M4 have received negative remarks from the press and enthusiasts alike, just as the M5/M6 did. So even if the impetus for the timing of the completion package with the M5/M6 genuinely was to respond to backlash, well there's plenty of that to go around with the M3/M4 too.

If you had access to internal BMW information, and combed through it, do you honestly believe that you'd find absolutely no suggestion that ZCP was well under way and planned for the second year of the M5 long before it was released? Think about it. Corporations plan product releases years in advance. There are numerous regulatory issues, marketing plans, engineering concerns, materials needs, and supplier sourcing logistics, to name a few.
Appreciate 0
      03-17-2015, 11:34 AM   #540
MFNATIK
Blocked from G80/G82 for having an opinion
United_States
Rep
Drives: Trek Domane

Quote:
The F430 came out in 2004 it wasnt until late 2008 that the Scuderia Version was released and that was for a different market all together. The 458 came out in 2010. So first year buyers of the 430 had 6 years before a new model/improvement came out. Even Porsche who is KNOWN for coming out with constant refreshes and models have yet to release their "facelift" and the 991 has been on the road since 2011.
Sure they have released GTS/GT3/Turbo, but those are different buyers/markets.

If this is your issue or mentality, you should have bought a Ferrari or Porsche lol. Sounds like sour grapes from an uninformed purchase to me right now.

For those of us who've owned many BMWs over the years, we know their production cycle and trend. I, like many others on here, have known BMW would likely release an LCI for MY2016 so we patiently timed our purchases. But now you know thats how BMW works.

In case you already didn't know, if you wanted the best version of any BMW model, its best to wait until the last 2 years of production. All the fixes will be in place by then and you will have the most likely to be most reliable and trouble free version. But really, who wants to wait til the end of the product cycle to get the latest and greatest. Some minor things can be retrofitted or fixed along the way as well. Just enjoy your car and stop worrying about it.
Appreciate 0
      03-17-2015, 11:38 AM   #541
Technic
Lieutenant General
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by dmk08 View Post
Historically for the M3 platform the ZCP has come after a 3+ years. I expected the same. I had full knowledge the LCI could possibly come out in 2016 due to the F30 and I really didn't care. I knew tail lights can be slapped in more than likely. ZCP I wasn't expecting until I was ready for my next one in 17.
The thing about the ZCP is that it could come anytime, except the first year. In the E46 M3 it showed up after 5 model years. In the E9x it showed up after 3 model years -and that is not quite relative because the E9x ZCP showed up at the same time as the E92 M3 LCI in MY2011 and just in time to be in the E90 M3 before end of production.

If you go way back to the E36 M3 and consider its LTW version the very first "ZCP" then it it gets tricky... the LTW was a first model year version in the USA (1995), but a 4th model year if you consider that the E36 M3 started in Europe in model year 1992.

All this means nothing. The ZCP in the F8x will show up whenever BMW wants our money. Enjoy your cars and be happy.
Appreciate 0
      03-17-2015, 11:46 AM   #542
chris s
Major General
Rep
Drives: 2022 Dravit G80 M3

Everyone knew this was a possibility, it was only a matter of when and based on the M5 comp pack, you had to know 16 was in play.

Those who bought a 15 did so b/c they had to have it asap and/or they simply didn't care about LCI or comp. Silly to cry over it now...most stuff can probably be retrofitted.

I swore to myself after owning an 08 M3 that I would never buy a first year model again...and I STILL toyed with the idea of a 15. All along holding back out of indecision fueled by color choices and unknowns about LCI/ZCP. At this point, I'm happy I waited.
2008 AW e92 M3 6MT, ESS SC, BBS LM's...SOLD!
Appreciate 0
      03-17-2015, 11:46 AM   #543
mkoesel
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Hell yeah I'm frustrated, and I feel like a lot of people who just took delivery of their F8x will be as well.
If the competition package arrives for MY2016 as it appears it will then, no doubt, it was an unexpected turn of events that almost no one saw coming and few would have predicted (member TheIceStormOf06 deserves credit for being one of them though - http://f80.bimmerpost.com/forums/sho...&postcount=345).

I appreciate your frustration, but rather than let it get to you, might I suggest you enjoy the fact that you have your car and get to drive it today? In fact, I imagine you've been driving it for months now I'm sure while others have either chosen to wait or have been forced to wait due to production delays.
Appreciate 0
      03-17-2015, 12:02 PM   #544
CSanto
Brigadier General
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by MFNATIK View Post
If this is your issue or mentality, you should have bought a Ferrari or Porsche lol.
I just might
Appreciate 0
      03-17-2015, 12:04 PM   #545
CSanto
Brigadier General
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by mkoesel View Post
If the competition package arrives for MY2016 as it appears it will then, no doubt, it was an unexpected turn of events that almost no one saw coming and few would have predicted (member TheIceStormOf06 deserves credit for being one of them though - http://f80.bimmerpost.com/forums/sho...&postcount=345).

I appreciate your frustration, but rather than let it get to you, might I suggest you enjoy the fact that you have your car and get to drive it today? In fact, I imagine you've been driving it for months now I'm sure while others have either chosen to wait or have been forced to wait due to production delays.
It was rather unexpected. Thanks everyone for their words of wisdom. I'm over it. I figure If I want suspension improvements I can do coilovers. I love the wheels so no need to replace those. Tunes should come out eventually and they'll have way more than 15hp increase.
Appreciate 0
      03-17-2015, 12:07 PM   #546
dmk08
Gone Fishin’
United_States
Rep

Quote:

What if we ordered early, then waited 7 months for delivery due to "wheel retrofit", just to find out the car is about to change? Thats the boat I'm in right now
Appreciate 0
      03-17-2015, 12:10 PM   #547
CSanto
Brigadier General
Rep

Quote:
What if we ordered early, then waited 7 months for delivery due to "wheel retrofit", just to find out the car is about to change? Thats the boat I'm in right now
Just dont take the car no?
Appreciate 0
      03-17-2015, 12:13 PM   #548
dmk08
Gone Fishin’
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Just dont take the car no?
I took it in December with the LCI news coming out a few weeks later. I was cool. But the ZCP stuff is digging into me.
Appreciate 1
      03-17-2015, 12:16 PM   #549
mkoesel
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Demand another $5k off from BMW before you agree to take delivery.

And while you are at it, get them to throw in a couple palettes of those M paperweights they give our neighbors up north.

Edit: just saw your reply above - forgot you already had the car. I'd still call them up and demand some paperweights!
Appreciate 0
      03-17-2015, 12:20 PM   #550
dmk08
Gone Fishin’
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Demand another $5k off from BMW before you agree to take delivery.

And while you are at it, get them to throw in a couple palettes of those M paperweights they give our neighbors up north.

Edit: just saw your reply above - forgot you already had the car. I'd still call them up and demand some paperweights!
They have already promised to sell me LCI tails at dealer cost. They took extra money off at delivery(still not invoice like ppl say they are getting now) and sold me MP Parts at cost including my MPE well under cost.

In the end my dealer wasn't responsible for the delay BMW was so I'm happy they gave me anything. It's BMW I frown on right now.
Appreciate 0
Closed Thread