BMW X3 Forum
BMW X3 Forum
Welcome to the ultimate BMW X3 community.
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

04-11-2024, 03:58 PM   #1
rotax
United_States
Rep
Drives: X3

Cold Outside, Temp Set to 61, Blows Hot Air

I searched this forum and did not see any reported similar problem, only not hot enough.

It can be any temp outside between 50 and 70F and if I set the temp from 70 down to to 61 (one degree above max fan) the air blows hot. Feels like 80F. Below 50F it seem to get cooler slightly.

I end up having to use the AC when fresh air would be great, otherwise its just blowing hot air at you and of course as it gets warmer the fan speed increases making it worse.

When I turn on the AC I can her the front vents change as if opening or closing some aspect of the configuration even though the control panel has recirculation set to off. It changes again when the AC is turned off. Seems like this should not happen.

Anyone encounter an issue like this and resolve it?

TIA
Appreciate 0
      04-11-2024, 04:37 PM   #2
Qsilver7
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: F06 650ix GC / F15 X5 50i

Does your BMW have a stratified air dial near the middle dash vents? If yes, then you can temper the air from the dash vents warmer/cooler depending on where you have the dial set...and regardless of what temp you have the IHKA set.

If the stratified air dial is turned into the red area of the dial...the air from the dash vents will be warm(er)...even if you have the AC button pressed and the temp on the IHKA control panel set to 70° F. The cooled air will blow from either the defrost & floor vents to help maintain the 70° F...while warmed air will blow from the dash vents because of the stratified air dial.

Make sure this dial is turned to the neutral or into the blue area if the air coming from the dash vents is too warm for your comfort.
Attached Images

Become a BMW CCA member! Click HERE to join and feel free to use my BMW CCA member #191509 as a referral.

Last edited by Qsilver7; 04-11-2024 at 04:46 PM..
Appreciate 0
      04-11-2024, 04:43 PM   #3
rotax
United_States
Rep

Yes it has this, its the vertical style in my 2011 and it is set to coldest when the hot air is blowing and temp e.g. is set at 61. When I turn on the AC the air turns quite cold so I presume this function is working correctly.
Appreciate 0
      04-11-2024, 05:54 PM   #4
pungo
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: Z4MC-X3-35i-525i, Corrado G60

Garage List
Use ista+ to test the operation of the IHKA. Sounds like the Heater Water Control Valve is not functioning properly
Appreciate 0
      04-12-2024, 04:26 PM   #5
rotax
United_States
Rep

Thanks pungo. I searched for anything that looks like a water control valve on realoem as well as in ista+. Can you point me to a part number or tree reference in ista?

Best I can see is it may be the blending flap motors left or right or both that may need to be re-registered, calibrated and worst case replaced. Possible on the left hand drive for the right motor via the glove box. The left one is a dash removal.... not happening
Appreciate 0