E90Post

Coby Wheel

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > BMW E90/E92/E93 3-series General Forums > General E90 Sedan / E91 Wagon / E92 Coupe / E93 Cabrio > New E93 owner here checking in

12-15-2012, 09:00 PM   #1
thenewrick
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2007 E93 335i Black Sapphire

New E93 owner here checking in

Hey, I just got a manual 2007 335i convertible in black sapphire a few weeks ago. I used to have a heavily modified 2004 Subaru STi and am looking forward to doing some work on the E93. I don't plan on modding it much. It looks like the, "Golf Tee" mod and the JB4 + DCI are a popular starting point so I'm thinking that's what I'll do first. I'm also interested in clearing out as many of the yellow lights as well and doing, "something" about those orange fender reflectors. I've read through a bunch of threads and I've noticed that very few people are modding E93s but I imagine most of the E92 mods will work the same.

First quirk I've noticed. When the top is down, the rear gets verrry herrrrafrush; less than an inch of gap. I guess that's the price you pay when you add 400 pounds to the rear of the car.

First impressions, the car drives smooth and is mechanically sound. It's definitely a big ol pig though. Acceleration, especially up-hill, is only adequate. I'm hoping the JB4 and DCI will give the car a much more spirited feel.

I may turn this into a build thread. I'm not sure if this is the appropriate place for it though.
Appreciate 0
      12-15-2012, 09:09 PM   #2
rylak
Private
Rep
Drives: 2009 AW/CR E93 335i 6MT

Garage List
2009 E93 335i  [0.00]
Welcome.

For Golf Tee Mod: http://www.e90post.com/forums/showthread.php?t=588901

Acceleration definitely feels alot better after a tune and dci.

As for painted reflectors, I would suggest the ones from ind-distribution.com over the ones from bimmian. iND uses the OEM reflectors to make theirs.
Appreciate 0
      12-15-2012, 10:15 PM   #3
fun2drive
BMWCCA 149159
United_States
Rep
Drives: 13 128i Vert/ 14 JGC Diesel

There are significantly more tuning options than JB4. That said I have a JB+ right now but will soon be installing my Cobb AP and larger FMIC. I like the ability to use thousands of tunes that Cobb has and also tweak my own tune to my own requirements.
Not that I know exactly what those requirements are but there is so much more information and tailored tunes for Cobb.
Each to their own.
I also suggest the wind blocker if you drive a lot top down it works really well.
Remember this is a convertible not a coupe or sedan and not something you race (a few people do but not most of us)/
Concept of the convertible is that it isn't where you are going because you are already where you want to be...
Appreciate 0
      12-15-2012, 10:27 PM   #4
thenewrick
Captain
United_States
Rep

Thanks for the tips. I really like the JB4 because it's much cheaper than Cobb units. I used to have a Cobb Accessport for my STi and wasn't happy with it.

This is my first experience in a convertible and I love it! I went into this car with the mentality that it wouldn't be a sports car and more of a comfortable touring car. After my STi nothing really would feel sporty to me so I'm not trying to recreate that sensation. I just figured for under a grand I could get a lot out of the car.

The only power mods I'm considering at the moment are DCI, tuning software, and exhaust if I can find one cheap. I've been looking for a cheap wind blocker as well. It seems like everything that would cost $100 on the Subaru is now $1000 on the BMW but I knew that came with the territory.

I'm still going through the, "make sure nothing is broken and read through the manual and learn all about the car phase". Hopefully I can start modding within a month or so.

NASIOC was an amazing car forum for the Subaru. I'm hoping this forum will be as helpful and informative!
Appreciate 0
      12-16-2012, 08:47 AM   #5
droptop335
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: '07 335i (E93)

Quote:
Originally Posted by thenewrick
Hey, I just got a manual 2007 335i convertible in black sapphire a few weeks ago. I used to have a heavily modified 2004 Subaru STi and am looking forward to doing some work on the E93. I don't plan on modding it much. It looks like the, "Golf Tee" mod and the JB4 + DCI are a popular starting point so I'm thinking that's what I'll do first. I'm also interested in clearing out as many of the yellow lights as well and doing, "something" about those orange fender reflectors. I've read through a bunch of threads and I've noticed that very few people are modding E93s but I imagine most of the E92 mods will work the same.

First quirk I've noticed. When the top is down, the rear gets verrry herrrrafrush; less than an inch of gap. I guess that's the price you pay when you add 400 pounds to the rear of the car.

First impressions, the car drives smooth and is mechanically sound. It's definitely a big ol pig though. Acceleration, especially up-hill, is only adequate. I'm hoping the JB4 and DCI will give the car a much more spirited feel.

I may turn this into a build thread. I'm not sure if this is the appropriate place for it though.
What the hell is "verrry herrrafrush"?

MHD Stage 1 Flash, M-Factory Helical LSD

By the way people: USE YOUR F&*#ING TURN SIGNALS! Pass the word.
Appreciate 0
      12-16-2012, 02:36 PM   #6
thenewrick
Captain
United_States
Rep

Haha, It's just an exaggerated way of saying, "Hella flush" which means a lowered suspension and negative camber on the wheels. I'm actually not a fan of the hella flush look. I won't be lowering the car anymore or be getting larger wheels; that's for sure.
Appreciate 0
      12-16-2012, 02:42 PM   #7
duky
The Tanzanian
United_States
Rep
Drives: BMW M3, Audi RS6, Mini Cooper

Garage List
Love e93 wish I had one. Got pics?
Appreciate 0
      12-16-2012, 02:46 PM   #8
Blindside_137
Lieutenant General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2011.75 SSII E90 M3 ZCP

Welcome

As far as modding goes, you can do pretty much anything to the E93 that you can do to the E92's. The trunk has a different shape so a lot of the coupe spoilers won't fit perfectly.

They are just a lot less common than the coupes and sedans, so like you said you won't see as many modded.
Appreciate 0
      12-16-2012, 03:56 PM   #9
thenewrick
Captain
United_States
Rep

It's very dirty and I haven't washed it yet. I'm a little picky about detailing so I want to put in a good 8 hours on the car before taking initial pics. I think I'm going to do the interior today.

Ya the mods seem about the same with the E92. There are just minor differences with the trunk like you said and some other little bracing differences.
Appreciate 0
      12-16-2012, 04:41 PM   #10
roadkillrob
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 08 335i,22 X3M, 2012 C63 Black

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blindside_137 View Post
Welcome

As far as modding goes, you can do pretty much anything to the E93 that you can do to the E92's. The trunk has a different shape so a lot of the coupe spoilers won't fit perfectly.

They are just a lot less common than the coupes and sedans, so like you said you won't see as many modded.
+1 basically all coupe stuff works unless it is around the trunk area, like a spoiler, even the rear bumper is the same and everything in front of the a-pillars. Most of the interior is the same except the back seats and trim around the seats.

Good luck with the mods - a tune helps a lot with the extra weight, but once the top is down you forget about everything!
Appreciate 0
      12-16-2012, 04:45 PM   #11
Dark_Knight_335
Came to the N55 Darkside
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2011 335 E93 M-Sport

This! So worth it.
Appreciate 0
      12-16-2012, 06:00 PM   #12
thenewrick
Captain
United_States
Rep

Ya, I bought the car with the intention of getting it tuned. I learned my lesson with the STi; always buy factory turbo and tune it.

I have at least 20 questions about the car but I figured I'd just piecemeal them with search and Google.

I just spent a couple hours cleaning the interior. At least an hour was spent on removing pointless stickers; ugh. I'm making progress but it needs at least another hour on the interior then another 6 on exterior. I'm getting those karate kid forearms; wipe on wipe off.

*I also haven't driven it hard at all yet. I haven't squealed the tires once. I still want to get more comfortable with the way it handles before much spirited driving occurs. This is my first RWD vehicle as well and I know a lot of unique driving dynamics come from that. I'm still a bit of an AWD fanboi though.

** I'd love to see some good E93 build-up threads if there are any famous/infamous ones

Last edited by thenewrick; 12-16-2012 at 06:05 PM..
Appreciate 0
      12-16-2012, 09:22 PM   #13
andrew_b
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2007 E93 N54

I suspect you'll enjoy your E93. Suggest you check out the excellent "Keeping Your 3 Series Origami Top in Tip Top Shape" thread over on another forum.

My mods so far:
- color matched front reflectors
- Aero lip
- Interior and license plate LEDs
- Angel eye and fog lamps replaced with GP Thunder Plasma White bulbs (not as bright as LED retrofit, but easier and much much cheaper, and almost as bright)
- BSH Oil catch can
- Cobb tune

New wheels and tires (Apex EC-7 and PS2) coming in spring, along with Bilstein B-12s. Thought about more performance mods, but honestly it's quick enough for me right now (Cobb 0-60 times of high 4s).

Only thing that's a pain is I had to join PCA for access to more DE, since BMW events still don't allow cabrios (even retractable hard tops) unless they have a full cage.

2007 E93 N54
Appreciate 0
      12-16-2012, 09:31 PM   #14
Blindside_137
Lieutenant General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2011.75 SSII E90 M3 ZCP

You won't find many build threads.. not sure there even are any for verts..

But here's a few pics of mine

-Matte Black Grilles
-Gloss Black Badge
-Matte Black Window Trim (Vinyl)
-Painted Reflectors
-Avant Garde M359 19" Wheels
-M3 Style Spoiler
-Lux V3 Angel Eyes (not shown)
-Blacked out sidemarker (not shown)

Future mods
-35% Tint (this week)
-Aero Lip (xmas)
-M3 Skirts (spring)
-Mtech rear (summer)

window trim shot

spoiler

Appreciate 0
      12-16-2012, 11:10 PM   #15
thenewrick
Captain
United_States
Rep

I really like the color matched reflectors and the vinyl trim. I think I'm going to plasti dip the front grills but there's so much awkward chrome trim that I don't know if I'll mess with the rest of it.

I'd really like to get white angel eyes, and clear out the orange in the corner of the headlight but I'm not sure what the easiest/cheapest/best way to do it is. I'm just looking for a clean white/clear look and they don't need to be bright. I've seen a lot of options but not sure exactly which one is right for me. I'd also like to change my dash display from orange to red if possible. I'd also like to find some inexpensive license plate LED lights.

Last edited by thenewrick; 12-17-2012 at 12:18 AM..
Appreciate 0