ZPOST
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

Go Back   ZPOST > BMW Z4 Roadster and Coupe > General BMW Z4 Forum
  TireRack

SUPPORT ZPOST BY DOING YOUR TIRERACK SHOPPING FROM THIS BANNER, THANKS!

09-21-2013, 06:59 PM   #1
MetMan
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2003 Z4 3.0i, 2033 X5

Garage List
Need advice with an Indie issue.

This morning I took my Z4 into my indie shop to have my oil, differential and transmission fluids changed as I just hit 90k miles. I've owned this car for 4.5 years and it has only been serviced at this shop.

The owner of the shop who normally works on my car took the day off so one of his techs worked on my car. After the car was completed,the tech stated that my water pump was starting to weep just a little. I stated that I just had replaced the pump within the past two years and the shop did the work. He asked if I was sure as the water pump "looked like the original". I told hi I was sure and that I had the receipt at home. Sure enough, the water pump was replaced 4/2011 but it's out of the two year warranty period.

The thing that concerns me is the comment the tech made about the water pump. I'm now wondering if it was ever replaced back in 2011. I'm unsure how I should handle this situation with the owner. Should I bring the comments to his attention and have the water pump replaced at his shop again or just take it to the dealer to have it replaced?

I would also like to have my radiator and expansion tank replaced as a preventative measure as I'm relocating to houston in 60 days,but I'm now leaning towards having that work done when I reach Houston.

Thanks in advance for the input.
      09-21-2013, 07:25 PM   #2
itdnwiwbp
Major
Rep
Drives: 330iZHP

Tough call, man. I trust the owner of the shop I go to completely but some of the guys working there concern me a bit. I don't want to be a dick and insist that the couple I know and trust are the only ones who touch my car but sometimes I feel like it might be worth it since I've has some MINOR issues in the past.

Anyway, in your situation, I would probably address the comment with the shop owner. If you have rapport with him and he's an honest guy hopefully he can put your mind at ease that it was replaced and maybe he can at least install a new one labor free. Good luck!
      09-21-2013, 07:30 PM   #3
MetMan
Second Lieutenant
Rep

Garage List
The sad part is back in 2011, the owner was the only tech for the shop. If the water pump wasn't replaced, it was his doing.
      09-21-2013, 07:51 PM   #4
intoflatlines
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: Z4MR, E34, E30

Well that's a twist...
Appreciate 0
      09-21-2013, 10:12 PM   #5
seank
enthusiast
Rep
Drives: e30 m3,e90 wagon,sprinter,z4m

How does he know its original? After 2 years, the water pump will look the same as a five year pump. Tell the owner that it is weeping and that the mechanic said the it was the original, even though you replaced it two years ago by him. See what he says, but to let you know, water pump never age well on the outside.
Appreciate 0
      09-21-2013, 10:29 PM   #6
KevinM
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: 2002 M5;2007 M Coupe;2020 M2C

Garage List
2020 M2 Competition  [10.00]
2007 E86 M coupe  [8.38]
2002 E39 M5  [9.00]
Potentially awkward, but you have to address it with the owner directly...otherwise he will have lost your trust (and possibly business) without being able to respond.
2021 Kia Telluride (hauler)
Appreciate 0
      09-22-2013, 09:56 AM   #7
GamblerHydra
Private
Rep
Drives: 2003 BMW Z4

You have to watch the indie shops some will use whatever is laying around . I am
Sure your guy changed the pump, but was the part new ? Your best bet is learning how to work on your cars yourself .
Appreciate 0
      09-23-2013, 08:49 AM   #8
Jstic
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 06 Z4 3.0i

What does he mean by "the water pump is starting to weep a little". Is there a leak, a noise? I've never heard this term, weep, applied to a water pump. And the post above mine is 100% correct. This type situation is why I would never, ever let anyone work on my cars but ME.
Appreciate 0
      09-23-2013, 09:28 AM   #9
Lark
Gone but not forgotten
United_States
Rep
Drives: '09 335i Dinan S3/'13 BoxsterS

When you get to Houston, I can recommend Texas German Autohaus on Edloe. Ask for Hans. Been going to them for 20 years.
2009 335i/Coupe/Dinan S3
2006 BMW Z4 3.0si
Appreciate 0
      09-23-2013, 09:52 AM   #10
3002 tii
Lieutenant General
Rep
Drives: Z4 M, X5, GX460

Garage List
Play dumb, relay the message. Tech said this and that. They'll have to figure it out among themselves. But I agree with seank, after few years the waterpumps would look the same. Only way to tell is to look up the p/n stamped on it and see if it was a later revision (which happens quite often) as opposed to the original one that came on the car.
      09-23-2013, 02:28 PM   #11
MetMan
Second Lieutenant
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jstic View Post
What does he mean by "the water pump is starting to weep a little". Is there a leak, a noise? I've never heard this term, weep, applied to a water pump. And the post above mine is 100% correct. This type situation is why I would never, ever let anyone work on my cars but ME.
I guess the water pump has a very small leak. He didn't feel tha it needed to be completed that day. Ill have it done next week.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lark View Post
When you get to Houston, I can recommend Texas German Autohaus on Edloe. Ask for Hans. Been going to them for 20 years.
Thanks Lark, I will definitely look them up!

Quote:
Originally Posted by 3002 Tii View Post
Play dumb, relay the message. Tech said this and that. They'll have to figure it out among themselves. But I agree with seank, after few years the waterpumps would look the same. Only way to tell is to look up the p/n stamped on it and see if it was a later revision (which happens quite often) as opposed to the original one that came on the car.
Thanks for the advice.
      09-24-2013, 10:44 AM   #12
earlgrey69
Private
Rep
Drives: 2007 Z4M

Quote:
Originally Posted by MetMan View Post
I guess the water pump has a very small leak. He didn't feel tha it needed to be completed that day. Ill have it done next week.

Thanks Lark, I will definitely look them up!

Thanks for the advice.
Do you mind telling me what shop you used? I'm in Jax as well and was looking for a referral because my M and pretty soon my 335 will be out of warranty. Thanks!
Appreciate 0
      09-24-2013, 11:05 AM   #13
Huz-Z
Brigadier General
Canada
Rep
Drives: Z4 3.0si, 328 XDrive, X5 35i

Quote:
Hey Metman! Long time no chat!

I agree with the above. Just use a pleasant approach and see how they respond. I suppose it won't matter if they get miffed, as you are moving to Houston in a few weeks.

Good luck with it!!

BMW Z4 3.0si Roadster. Montego Blue Metallic. Premium and Sport Package.
Appreciate 0
      09-24-2013, 11:07 AM   #14
3002 tii
Lieutenant General
Rep
Drives: Z4 M, X5, GX460

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by Huz-Z View Post

I agree with the above. Just use a pleasant approach and see how they respond. I suppose it won't matter if they get miffed, as you are moving to Houston in a few weeks.

Good luck with it!!
Been called many things before, Metman was not one of them!
      09-24-2013, 11:42 AM   #15
Huz-Z
Brigadier General
Canada
Rep

Quote:
Been called many things before, Metman was not one of them!
LOL!! I was talking to MetMan while quoting you! Oh well, as long as I don't call you late for supper!!

MetMan sold me his roadster alarm a while back and I still haven't gotten around to installing it, which leads me to my new motto, which is:

"If a man says it will be done, it will. There is no need to remind him every six months".

Appreciate 0
      09-24-2013, 12:45 PM   #16
MetMan
Second Lieutenant
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by Huz-Z View Post

Good luck with it!!
Huz,

I was wondering if the President of the 3.0si fan club was going to chime in!

I'm going to take your approach and be pleasant as I also want my radiator and expansion tank replaced before I hit the road for Houston. I'm going to give the shop the benefit of the doubt as I've been very satisfied with his service over the last four years. As someone pointed out earlier, hard to tell a two year old water pump from older. After that I'll start to have the car serviced in Houston.
      09-26-2013, 01:51 PM   #17
Huz-Z
Brigadier General
Canada
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by MetMan View Post
Huz,

I was wondering if the President of the 3.0si fan club was going to chime in!

I'm going to take your approach and be pleasant as I also want my radiator and expansion tank replaced before I hit the road for Houston. I'm going to give the shop the benefit of the doubt as I've been very satisfied with his service over the last four years. As someone pointed out earlier, hard to tell a two year old water pump from older. After that I'll start to have the car serviced in Houston.
Hey Vice President MetMan!! - great to see you back on the forum! Ya know me, I always have to get my two cents worth in. I hope the move to Houston is hassle free for you!

Cheers!!

Appreciate 0