F30POST
F30POST
2012-2015 BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum (F30 / F32) | F30POST > 2012-2019 BMW 3 and 4-Series Forums > General F30 Sedan / F32 Coupe / F36 Gran Coupe Forum > Jacking up my F30 - Is this safe?
ARMA SPEED

08-02-2022, 03:30 AM   #1
anom3
Captain
Rep
Drives: F30 335ix

Jacking up my F30 - Is this safe?

Without going into too much detail, about 2 years ago I had a jack slip as I was lifting my F30 and destroy my drivers side door. Besides having to replace my drivers side door nothing happened but it was enough to scare me off from lifting my F30 for quite some time.

I recently decided to start doing my own maintenance again. I started by buying a good set of race ramps. They are perfect to do anything that doesn't require removing the wheels or suspension work.

Its time to swap my front rotors and pads.

So I bought a high quality large jack. Its over twice the size of the one that slipped on me 2 years ago. Its unfortunately about 2cm too tall to get under the front of the car.

I was hoping someone can confirm that the below is a safe way of doing things. Mainly the part about using the ramps to get the car up most of the way and then the jack to get it high enough for the jack stands.

1) Get the front of the car up on my race ramps.
2) Pull parking brake + put chocks on rear wheels. I have 4 chocks so just in case both sides of the wheels will be blocked.
3) Since the front of the car is now quite a ways up off the ground I can easily fit the jack under the front center jack point.
4) Use the center jack point to lift the car up a few more cm.
5) Throw jack stands under the front side jack points and lower the car onto them.
6) Remove the race ramps and get to work.

Looking at the above it all seams very safe but just want to get some confirmation... I feel a sort of PTSD since the incident 2 years ago and it took quite a bit to get back into doing my own maintenance.

Thanks!
Appreciate 0
      08-02-2022, 07:57 AM   #2
Aldor27
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2016 EB 340i

Garage List
2016 BMW 340i  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by anom3 View Post
Without going into too much detail, about 2 years ago I had a jack slip as I was lifting my F30 and destroy my drivers side door. Besides having to replace my drivers side door nothing happened but it was enough to scare me off from lifting my F30 for quite some time.

I recently decided to start doing my own maintenance again. I started by buying a good set of race ramps. They are perfect to do anything that doesn't require removing the wheels or suspension work.

So I bought a high quality large jack. Its over twice the size of the one that slipped on me 2 years ago. Its unfortunately about 2cm too tall to get under the front of the car.

I was hoping someone can confirm that the below is a safe way of doing things. Mainly the part about using the ramps to get the car up most of the way and then the jack to get it high enough for the jack stands.

2) Pull parking brake + put chocks on rear wheels. I have 4 chocks so just in case both sides of the wheels will be blocked.
3) Since the front of the car is now quite a ways up off the ground I can easily fit the jack under the front center jack point.
5) Throw jack stands under the front side jack points and lower the car onto them.

Looking at the above it all seams very safe but just want to get some confirmation... I feel a sort of PTSD since the incident 2 years ago and it took quite a bit to get back into doing my own maintenance.

Thanks!
I know where you're coming from, I destroyed my old 228i sideskirt because the jack slipped.
Appreciate 0
      08-02-2022, 07:57 AM   #3
johnung
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2015 BMW 335i x-Drive Auto

Garage List
Quote:

Thanks!
Too complicated. You are way overthinking this. Just go to Home Depot. Get a piece of wide lumber say 2x10, or better 2x12. Cut it into two pieces about 2 feet long. Drive your tires onto them. It adds 1.5" or 38mm under the car to slide the jack underneath.

Here's a great video for getting the car onto four jack stands. Vary important for specific jobs like automatic transmission service, replacing fluids, exhaust system, etc

Appreciate 1
      08-02-2022, 08:55 AM   #4
chowser51
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: F33 430 and F39 M35i

Garage List
RennStand. Get two of them. You don’t have to lift from the front or rear center points again.

Or get four. But then you should just get the quickjack.
Appreciate 1
johnung4546.50
      08-02-2022, 10:23 AM   #5
Billfitz
Lieutenant General
United_States
Rep
Drives: '15 328iX GT

Quote:

That's what I'd do if I didn't have a low profile jack.
Appreciate 0
      08-02-2022, 11:12 AM   #6
FastFrog
Private First Class
France
Rep
Drives: 335i N55 E91 / 340i B58 F30

Is your F30 a xDrive or RWD?
In the later case, the procedure shown in the video posted above doesn't fully apply, as you won't see the center-front jack point as clearly as it appears in the video. See below:

xdrive (internet picture/not my car)

RWD (my car)

Other than that, the procedure in this video is the one I successfully applied.
Appreciate 0
      08-02-2022, 11:14 AM   #7
im_an_alien
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2016 340i

Quickjack. Costs a grand but well worth it. Throw in a good cordless impact and you're golden.
Appreciate 3
chowser512038.50
CJKaz24.50
      08-02-2022, 11:26 AM   #8
Billfitz
Lieutenant General
United_States
Rep
Drives: '15 328iX GT

It's more like $1500. All well and good for those who have more money than time, but I can get mine up on four jacks in a half an hour, so I'll save the money for other things.
Appreciate 1
johnung4546.50
      08-02-2022, 12:59 PM   #9
INROADRACR
Enlisted Member
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2017 BMW 340i, 6MT, RWD

Garage List
2017 BMW 340i  [9.50]
Quote:
Originally Posted by johnung View Post
Too complicated. You are way overthinking this. Just go to Home Depot. Get a piece of wide lumber say 2x10, or better 2x12. Cut it into two pieces about 2 feet long. Drive your tires onto them. It adds 1.5" or 38mm under the car to slide the jack underneath.

Here's a great video for getting the car onto four jack stands. Vary important for specific jobs like automatic transmission service, replacing fluids, exhaust system, etc

I went the path that jonung recommended last year. I bought an 8 foot 2X8 and cut it into quarters and then used an angled radial arm saw to make a 45 degree edge. Screwed them together and this became my mini ramp that lets me get my jack in place.
Attached Images

08-02-2022, 01:28 PM   #10
johnung
Major General
United_States
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by INROADRACR View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by johnung View Post

I went the path that jonung recommended last year. I bought an 8 foot 2X8 and cut it into quarters and then used an angled radial arm saw to make a 45 degree edge. Screwed them together and this became my mini ramp that lets me get my jack in place.
Wow, you put me to shame with those beveled edge enhancements! Nicely done! 😀
Appreciate 1
      08-02-2022, 01:37 PM   #11
johnung
Major General
United_States
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by FastFrog View Post
Is your F30 a xDrive or RWD?
In the later case, the procedure shown in the video posted above doesn't fully apply, as you won't see the center-front jack point as clearly as it appears in the video. See below:

xdrive (internet picture/not my car)

RWD (my car)

Other than that, the procedure in this video is the one I successfully applied.
Great point! I got annoyed with trying to shove my head under the car sideways and trying to orient myself to find what I was looking for like the oil drain, front differential drain or the center jack point. I used a silver Sharpie to mark them, so I can better avoid making mistakes.
Appreciate 0
      08-02-2022, 01:38 PM   #12
AspektUSA
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 340i MSport/THP

I have a Harbor Freight Daytona low profile long reach 3 tonner and 6x 16in pieces of 2x8 for my BMW jacking needs.
Appreciate 1
johnung4546.50
      08-04-2022, 04:13 AM   #13
anom3
Captain
Rep
Drives: F30 335ix

Thanks for all the input folks.

I did my rotor + pad swap yesterday. I ended up just jacking up each corner as I did it and letting it sit on the jack. I know a bit of a risk but I was never under the actual car and make sure not to place my feet under there or anything like that as I did the work.

I'll probably end up going the 'pieces of wood' route when it comes time to get the front up on jacks.

As far as buying any additional hardware... I know there are options, but I am in the EU... So something like the quickjack runs a bit over 2k shipped here so I would rather avoid that if possible.
Appreciate 0
      08-04-2022, 07:43 AM   #14
Wires
Brigadier General
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2016 340i xDrive

I have the same issue, and all you need to do is jack up one corner high enough to put the block under the wheel, let the jack down, and then you should be able to use the center jack point.
Appreciate 1
anom3260.00
      08-04-2022, 02:06 PM   #15
WagonHo
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: BMW 330i Sport Wagon

Garage List
Lots of advice here.

In answer to your original question, sliding a jack in from in front and jacking on the point you indicated is not just safe, it's the right way to do it the front.

That allows you to lift the entire front and get a jack stand under each side. I use 2 inch ramps to get the front high enough for my low-profile hydraulic jack, but that's my doing with the lowering springs. Enjoy and be safe.
2004 B5.5 Volkswagen Passat GLS Wagon | Northern Green | 5-Speed Manual (sold - 2016)
BMW CCA | National Capital Chapter since 2019 - SCCA | Washington DC Region since 2021
Appreciate 1
anom3260.00
      08-04-2022, 03:42 PM   #16
SuperLomi
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2013 335i M-Sport

Quote:
I'll probably end up going the 'pieces of wood' route when it comes time to get the front up on jacks.
You already have perfectly good ramps, just use those. Unless you already heave lumber laying around there's no need to go out and buy some. There's literally no difference, just one is a taller ramp than the other.

The only benefit is it's slightly easier to drive onto a piece of wood, than to drive up the steeper ramps.
Appreciate 1
anom3260.00
      08-04-2022, 06:45 PM   #17
Moupe
Monobloc
United_States
Rep
Drives: '02 M Coupe - '19 F31 330ix

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by INROADRACR View Post
Off-topic brochachos - is that a front camera that you installed on the front plate mount? If so, please fill in on the details!
-2002 S54 M Coupé - Steel Gray / Dark Gray/Black
Appreciate 0