E90Post

TNT Racewerks

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > BMW E90/E92/E93 3-series General Forums > Regional Forums > Australia > Commodore v BMW

11-09-2007, 04:54 AM   #23
BMW //MPOWER
Major
Australia
Rep
Drives: BMW G20 M340i xdrive

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by vgr02 View Post
The last statement made that GM has a negative book value of USD4.5Bn is deffinitly a huge concern for the Global business. I would suspect the American government is proping up the business as the consequences of a demise of the operation would have severe impact on the American economy.

That said, GM-H in Australia would still live on even in the event that GM went under as it would still represent a viable business to be taken over. Concidering the size of the local market and limited export they do compared to other brands, GM-H produces a good car. The technology gap between European makes and local has reduced to months where previously it was 5+ years. In terms of value for money, when you compare European and Aust cars of 20 years ago to now, there is absolutly no doubt in my mind that GM-H or ford are trying hard to win buyers with a value for money product.
Agreed, Holden is a viable business, but whether it is sold off for value or simply sucked up in the vacuum which is 1 great sinking ship is a different question. As you rightly stated there is obvious reasons why gm is still afloat, including government reasons (i.e. the tax cheque they get each year) the amount of people employed by them and by their suppliers are also reasons they are still afloat, however it it won't last forever.
BMW E46 325Ci M Clubsport Carbon Black
BMW E36 318i Alpine White M Sport

Last edited by BMW //MPOWER; 11-09-2007 at 05:11 PM..
Appreciate 0
      11-14-2007, 12:28 AM   #24
MB E60
Rep
Drives: E60 530i M Sport

Disclaimer - i currently own a E60 5 series and have in the past have owned a VX Calais, we have a company owned new genration Calais which i drive from time to time.

Yes the Commodore/Calais offers more bang for your buck than the 5ER however IMO the BMW is superior in styling, driving experience, fit and finish, resale, reliabiltiy, and of coasred the intangle of the brand. IMO as with most things in life you get what you pay for.
Appreciate 0
      11-25-2007, 03:17 PM   #25
Durin's Bane
Private
Australia
Rep
Drives: BMW E90 335i

To get better features, fit and finish, NVH, interior ambience, switchgear feel, customer service, handling, etc. I would take a 5 series anyday. If I weighed 155 kilos or more I'd take the commy.

And before anyone crows on about me having not driven the new VE, I have - the Calais V, and my former boss owned a 550i, hence I believe I am in a position to judge. The new VE is a large step forward however still falls down in all the areas I've highlighted above. The cheap and tacky links to an Omega are two damn obvious. And that handbrake is the ugliest thing I've ever seen.

Wheels claimed they would take a Calais V over a 550i even if money wasn't a factor... remember this is a magazine that gave the VN Commodore Car of the year once too... and how many magazine covers in the past 12 months have been devoted to the new VE?

I'll stick with my 335i thanks.
2010 BMW 123d Coupe - Sapphire Black, Lemon Leather, Walnut Trim, Sunroof, Comfort Access, Professional Hi-Fi, CD Stacker, Professional Navigation, Heated Seats, Front & Rear PDC, BMW 18" Performance Wheels.
Appreciate 0
      11-26-2007, 05:56 PM   #26
AndDee
Second Lieutenant
Australia
Rep
Drives: 335i Coupe

Mutton vs Lamb
Appreciate 0
      01-22-2008, 04:48 AM   #27
mrad01
First Lieutenant
New Zealand
Rep
Drives: 2008 BMW E90 M3

Quote:
Wheels claimed they would take a Calais V over a 550i even if money wasn't a factor... remember this is a magazine that gave the VN Commodore Car of the year once too... and how many magazine covers in the past 12 months have been devoted to the new VE?

I'll stick with my 335i thanks.
Agreed! I thought the new Commer-door was a nice design - but when I see one from front on now, all I can see is dumbo the elephant - those front guards are too big!

I added a TurboTuner to my 335i and it wipes a 307kw Commer-door off the planet. Bye!

http://jlevistreetwerks.com/BMW-E90/...753a119ba0d3a5

1990 BMW e30 325i 5MT
Appreciate 0
      01-23-2008, 07:56 AM   #28
MNR0
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 335i (also own an LS1)

BMW is better by far. Its not just the obvious things. Its the things you don't see like:

high tensilte steel sheet metal
boron composite chassis
road handling and at high speed
quality finish and materials

The new VE is a loser IMO. Almost everything is clipped together to save money and it shows after 6 months - things start falling off, rattles etc.. This is from ppl. who work on these cars every day.

I would take a VY over a VE any day.

I recently had a tree fall on the beemer and any other car it would have crushed it. This BMW had dents and scratches but no caved in roof and no chassis damage. Tough car in my books - and that equates to better safety in a crash.
Appreciate 0