E90Post

TNT Racewerks

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > BMW E90/E92/E93 3-series General Forums > Regional Forums > UK > UK Technical Forum > Self Adjusting Clutch

03-19-2015, 03:46 AM   #1
un1eash
Captain
Rep
Drives: M235i

Self Adjusting Clutch

So I've had my 320d coming up to 8 weeks now and its turned out to be a bit of a pain. First it went back to the dealer after 2 weeks to get the clutch and DMF replaced as the DMF was making a knocking noise.

4 weeks later I notice excess timing chain noise and they agree it needs a new timing chain fitted so back it goes and a new timing chain was fitted. On collection I notice a click from the clutch pedal on pressing it in, i'm told this is normal even though I don't remember it doing this before so off I go.

A week later this click turns into multiple clicking noises as I press the clutch pedal in so back it goes to BMW, they diagnose it as the self adjusting pressure plate has failed, its apparently jammed and not moving like it should so a second clutch kit is fitted with new pressure plate, bearing and clutch plate.

How can this happen as everything was fine for 4 weeks after getting the first clutch and DMF fitted. I'm now paranoid every time I hear a noise from the clutch as this may fail again and eat the clutch. I got the car back last night and the clutch was quiet and smooth, just got to work and can hear a faint click at the top of the clutch pedal travel on pressing it in.

ps. Anyone want to buy a cheap 320d, recent clutch DMF, timing chain, service, brake fluid, disks and pads all round.
Appreciate 0