BMW M3 Forum (E90 E92)

BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

Go Back   M3Post - BMW M3 Forum > M3 (E90 / E92 / E93) > General M3 Forum (E90 + E92 + E93)

Mporium BMW

Yesterday, 02:24 PM   #1
ee90
Private First Class
Canada
Rep
Drives: E90 M3, E90 335i, E39 530i

How easy is it to steal a E90 M3?

Just a thought I had in my mind. I recently purchased a new to me E90. It is being shipped across the country. But I have been thinking of driving it back. Still 50/50 on it. I have insurance on the car so not a huge deal if it does get stolen.

But with the big increase in car thefts is there any concern with these being stolen or are they not desirable cars to steal?

Saw a lot of old posts on these cars being pretty easy to steal.

Just wanted to get some feedback
Appreciate 0
      Yesterday, 03:07 PM   #2
NiBe
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: BMW E91 & E92

This could be interesting to watch
Appreciate 2
ee9020.50
Ajolives922.00
      Yesterday, 03:14 PM   #3
jdamore
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2008 e92 M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by ee90 View Post
Just a thought I had in my mind. I recently purchased a new to me E90. It is being shipped across the country. But I have been thinking of driving it back. Still 50/50 on it. I have insurance on the car so not a huge deal if it does get stolen.

But with the big increase in car thefts is there any concern with these being stolen or are they not desirable cars to steal?

The news was saying Canadians were told to leave their keys by the front door so, I guess if you live in Canada its easy. lol

Its been fixed but, you used to be able to plug into the OBD and program a new key on the spot. I suppose with a flipper it would be easy if you get near the fob.. that applies to any car with a fob though.
      Yesterday, 03:48 PM   #4
ee90
Private First Class
Canada
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by jdamore View Post
The news was saying Canadians were told to leave their keys by the front door so, I guess if you live in Canada its easy. lol

Its been fixed but, you used to be able to plug into the OBD and program a new key on the spot. I suppose with a flipper it would be easy if you get near the fob.. that applies to any car with a fob though.
Yeah haha they were told that in Toronto. Thankfully I don’t live there.

Mine is a 2011 model would it be fixed?
Appreciate 0
      Yesterday, 03:55 PM   #5
ee90
Private First Class
Canada
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by NiBe View Post
Hopefully no thief will go through all of that effort when they could just steal a brand new Honda or Toyota. Probably way easier to chop them up for parts or sell as is than a M3. Plus I have a manual which is already a good anti thief device in North America lol

Guess my best options if I do decide to drive it back home are to buy a dashcam, and sleep at good hotels and not motels.
Appreciate 0
      Yesterday, 04:01 PM   #6
Reddevils7
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: F87 M2CS

Garage List
2020 F87 M2CS  [8.56]
2010 E92 M3  [8.37]
Quote:
Hopefully no thief will go through all of that effort when they could just steal a brand new Honda or Toyota. Probably way easier to chop them up for parts or sell as is than a M3. Plus I have a manual which is already a good anti thief device in North America lol

Guess my best options if I do decide to drive it back home are to buy a dashcam, and sleep at good hotels and not motels.
How long is the drive? I shipped mine in an enclosed trailer from Washington State to Midwest
Appreciate 0
      Yesterday, 04:08 PM   #7
ee90
Private First Class
Canada
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Reddevils7 View Post
How long is the drive? I shipped mine in an enclosed trailer from Washington State to Midwest
About 45 hours. Roughly 4500km (2800 miles). I was going to get it shipped but then again I’ll never have a opportunity like this to drive my car back home and get used to it and see the sights. So I’m just weighing the pros and cons. For sure would be way safer, cheaper and less miles on the car but I’d be worrying about the truck driver causing damage to it. I’m pretty paranoid lol
Appreciate 0
      Yesterday, 04:18 PM   #8
Reddevils7
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: F87 M2CS

Garage List
2020 F87 M2CS  [8.56]
2010 E92 M3  [8.37]
Quote:
About 45 hours. Roughly 4500km (2800 miles). I was going to get it shipped but then again I’ll never have a opportunity like this to drive my car back home and get used to it and see the sights. So I’m just weighing the pros and cons. For sure would be way safer, cheaper and less miles on the car but I’d be worrying about the truck driver causing damage to it. I’m pretty paranoid lol
I also thought about driving. It was 2300 miles for me. But I wanted to do maintenance on mine before I drove it even though it was low milage
Appreciate 1
ee9020.50
      Yesterday, 04:37 PM   #9
NiBe
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: BMW E91 & E92

Quote:
Yes, you are right I did not mean it as 100% relevant to your case but it is interesting video in my opinion.

I did 2400 km two weeks ago (not in M3), two full days of driving and it is not fun by any means. If I would be you I would use shipping if possible. Becasue as Reddevils7 says it is a good idea to do a big maintenance right after purchase before you start using the car. You don't know the car yet and things could go wrong on such a long drive and it would not be the best first experience with the beautiful car you just bought. Btw congrats excellent choice!
Appreciate 1
ee9020.50
      Yesterday, 04:50 PM   #10
ee90
Private First Class
Canada
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by NiBe View Post
Yes, you are right I did not mean it as 100% relevant to your case but it is interesting video in my opinion.

I did 2400 km two weeks ago (not in M3), two full days of driving and it is not fun by any means. If I would be you I would use shipping if possible. Becasue as Reddevils7 says it is a good idea to do a big maintenance right after purchase before you start using the car. You don't know the car yet and things could go wrong on such a long drive and it would not be the best first experience with the beautiful car you just bought. Btw congrats excellent choice!
Yes for sure. That is another issue especially because this car is still on the original rod bearings. I’m going to sleep on it and think about it before I do anything.
And thanks!
Appreciate 1
NiBe463.50
      Yesterday, 08:07 PM   #11
quiksi
Captain
Taiwan
Rep
Drives: E90

Garage List
Quote:
Yes for sure. That is another issue especially because this car is still on the original rod bearings. I’m going to sleep on it and think about it before I do anything.
And thanks!
Just because you bought the car doesn’t automatically make it a ticking time bomb for bearing failure
Appreciate 0
      Yesterday, 09:13 PM   #12
nick3753
Major
Rep
Drives: 2012 e92 M3 DCT ZCP

Garage List
2017 Audi S6  [0.00]
1997 BMW 328i Touring  [0.00]
2012 BMW M3  [0.00]
I’d be hesitant to drive any car that’s new to me a long distance (unless it was brand new or a rental car). You just don’t know how reliable the car is yet (not that a brand new car or rental can’t have issues). Theft wouldn’t really be the concern. Also, no spare tire either, so keep that in mind.
Appreciate 1
ee9020.50
      Yesterday, 09:27 PM   #13
ee90
Private First Class
Canada
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by nick3753 View Post
I’d be hesitant to drive any car that’s new to me a long distance (unless it was brand new or a rental car). You just don’t know how reliable the car is yet (not that a brand new car or rental can’t have issues). Theft wouldn’t really be the concern. Also, no spare tire either, so keep that in mind.
Yup I am keeping that in mind as well. I have a roadside tow package also got a quote for U-Haul truck and trailer just in case
Car came with extra tires so I’ll be bringing tools and a small jack if I do decide to drive it back
Appreciate 1
nick37531021.50
      Yesterday, 09:29 PM   #14
ee90
Private First Class
Canada
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by quiksi View Post
Just because you bought the car doesn’t automatically make it a ticking time bomb for bearing failure
I know but there’s still a risk for it. Especially when driving it across the country.
Appreciate 0
      Today, 08:11 AM   #15
o_g
Enlisted Member
Canada
Rep
Drives: '11 M3, '22 Ioniq5

They seem to go after SUV's or CUV's. 12 - 14 year old sedans are not high on the demand list. SRT or Hellcat Chargers would be another story.

My close neighbour had 2 virtually new SUV's stolen from their driveway. One was a brand new Escalade, and then an insurance provided rental Tahoe / Yukon.

Another family friend also had a few-month old Yukon stolen from their driveway.

I was discussing with another friend, who is a car guy, and has a Hellcat Challenger (6-MT) and a SRT Grand Cherokee. The Challenger is kept in a garage with a steering wheel lock, as is the Grand Cherokee.

My M3 is 13 years old, and is a manual. The average thief is not interested in that. Our other car is an Ioniq 5. No one is interested in that either, as they would need to spend 3-hrs charging the damn thing!

I was looking at an older E63 estate in Vancouver, and if I were to pull the trigger, I would get it shipped for sure.

Quote:

Appreciate 0