F30POST
F30POST
2012-2015 BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum (F30 / F32) | F30POST > Technical Forums > N55 Turbo Engine / Drivetrain / Exhaust Modifications > n55 dp lower vband gasket leaks
Extreme Powerhouse

09-19-2020, 04:30 AM   #1
Freestylerfalcon
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2020 G20 M340i

n55 dp lower vband gasket leaks

hi friends.

ran into some trials and tribulations installong my cts turbo highflow catted dp on my 2014 n55 f30.

first off, i found that the support bracket that bolts stock dp to the transmission was missing. weird but no biggie.
then i found that the stock dp had no gasket on the lower vband. again pretty weird.

when installing the new vband with gasket, i found that when i tightened the clamp the gasket did not seat properly and bulged out where the bolt is, causing a really big exhaust leak.

ill attach some pics and u can see the gasket is no longer cicular where it bulged out.

i got sick of trying to make it seat properly and tightened the clamp without gasket, as thats how the stock one was clamped.

sadly i confirmed with some soapy water that there is a small exhaust leak there now.

planning to try and fit the gasket again tomorrow but worried that it wont work because its deformed now.

did anyone else run into this bullshit?
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      09-19-2020, 09:30 AM   #2
AK415
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2015 F32 435i

How did you install the v band onto the downpipe? When I installed it on mine (Fabspeed), I pressed it (with the clamp) onto the dp before attaching the midpipe. You should be able to feel the "click" when pressing it on.
Appreciate 0
      09-19-2020, 01:23 PM   #3
thejeremyman9
Major General
Rep
Drives: 2015 BMW 335i

Quote:
Originally Posted by AK415 View Post
How did you install the v band onto the downpipe? When I installed it on mine (Fabspeed), I pressed it (with the clamp) onto the dp before attaching the midpipe. You should be able to feel the "click" when pressing it on.
It's been a while since i did mine but this sounds right. You need to put the side with the gasket ring on first to the DP side, then pull the exhaust forward to go into the other side and tighten down. Maybe watch the kies video to confirm.

At this point i dont think you have a choice but to get a new lower gasket. You arent really supposed to resuse them even if they are deformed.

Also it sounds like someone had a DP on your car in its previous life.
Appreciate 0
      09-20-2020, 01:41 PM   #4
zinner
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: `17 X5 35d/`15 335i/`18 M550IX

I have found you lose up the bolt, reposition the metal gasket and re tighten that works. It's also possible to get a good seal with no gasket if the replacement pipe is machined well enough. I have reused that metal gasket at least 10 times.
Appreciate 0