F30POST
F30POST
2012-2015 BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum (F30 / F32) | F30POST > Technical Forums > Navigation, iDrive, Audio, Video, Bluetooth, Phone, Cameras, Electronics > DIY - CIC to NBT IDrive controller (CAN1 to CAN2)
proTUNING Freaks

09-15-2022, 05:03 AM   #1
klepic
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: BMW F30

DIY - CIC to NBT IDrive controller (CAN1 to CAN2)

First of all, I want to thank everyone in this community. Without your help I would not be able to do half work on my F30. I love DIY and I really feel happy once I finish my work.

As the title suggests this will be DIY guide how to make new iDrive controller work once you move from CIC to NBT. This guide is is specific in the area where you need to get additional wires for CANL and CANH. Also, I have created this one due to lack of information I found on any thread so I thought it would be great to have specific one in this place.

Introduction: If you were wondering why your new bigger NBT controller does not work once you moved headunit and screen from CIC to NBT it is because CIC controller is working on slower(CAN1) port hence NBT is unable to work on that port and need to work on (CAN2). This will require you to get additional 2 wires from headunit quadlock, remove two wires from jack which is plugged in controller and add these 2 wires which you got from quadlock.

What do you need for this:

Any 2 wires(I got basic black one) about 50cm each.
Pins which are used to lock cable in jack(see bellow)
Isolation tape
Scalpel
Y 4 wires cable(optional if you want touchpad to work)
Touchpad module(optional if you want touchpad to work)

First step is to remove each plastic, climate control, trims and screws so you can get out headunit(wont post pics of how this is done). Also, pull out trim that holds old IDrive controller and plug it out from the jack.

I want you to concentrate on Quadlock that you disconnected from the headunit. You would need to find pin 9 and pin 11. These are CANL and CANH. This is the diagram how you can find these:

Once you found these, you would need to cut a bit of isolation and with picking tools pull this isolation so you can make space to get additional cable that you got already(mine is black):

this is how it looks when you pull the cable through the hole:

once you do that, bend both cables as much as you can so it wont leave the hole and you need to isolate cable, something like this:

ATTENTION: you need to do this exact process to both cable pins 9 and 11!

Once you finish this process, pull the plastic of the passenger side of the center console and thread the cable there. Once you got your cable at the passenger side, once again thread it at the place where is iDrive. When you tighten up the cable holding the quadlock and end of the cable, it will not appear anymore under the plastic.(sorry for no pictures).

Next step: Remove isolation from the end of the cable and add these pin holders to both of them:

tight them good and they are ready to go! Remove green and yellow wires from 4 pin jack and isolate them separetly! Instead of them put two new wires inside jack and that's it!

Note: CANH wire goes in inner pin slot and CANL goes in outer pin slot.

It looks like this once it is completed:

You can see two black wires are added to the jack and tho other wires are removed and isolated. Once connected to new iDrive it works perfectly! I personally added Y cable as you can see and writing module and that also works great!

Hope this guide helps anyone and sorry if you may not understand me fully! Cheers
Appreciate 2
fe7565552.50
ADHD196.50
      06-24-2023, 01:32 PM   #2
nasmikir
Registered
Rep
Drives: BMW 328i F30

I understand some of your process but would like help with other parts of it thank you.
Appreciate 0
      06-30-2023, 09:16 PM   #3
fe7565
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2012 BMW 328i N26

Well done and illustrated guide! Thank you on behalf of future DIY-ers.
      07-01-2023, 07:05 PM   #4
YASBBYM3
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: BMW M4 Cs Lamborghini Huracan

Whatever you do, DO NOT GO CUTTING INTO THE MAIN WIRING HARNESS.

Buy a Quadlock extender/adapter from AliExpress or eBay for $10-$20. Cut into that so if you screw up you do not screw up you factory harness. Then simply inset the extender between the factory harness and your HeadUnit.
Appreciate 0