F30POST
F30POST
2012-2015 BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum (F30 / F32) | F30POST > 2012-2019 BMW 3 and 4-Series Forums > General F34 3-Series GT (Gran Turismo) Forum > Tire Options - What do you recommend?
Extreme Powerhouse
View Poll Results: Best option moving fwd?
Keep the 19"; there are good and reasonably priced options 2 50.00%
Move to 18"; that's where the reasonable prices are 2 50.00%
I've heard rear tires on GTs wear out quickly 0 0%
"Rear tires wear out fast on GTs"? No way, that's not a thing 0 0%
Multiple Choice Poll. Voters: 4. You may not vote on this poll

05-24-2021, 07:58 PM   #1
seanthompson12
Registered
Rep
Drives: 2014 335i GT

Tire Options - What do you recommend?

Super proud owner of a lovely 2014 F34 in midnight blue. Had it for nearly 2 years now. We LOVE how it drives and it handles anything we throw at it.

BUT...

We're about to purchase the second set of tires for it. The set we have now is 9 months/12,000 miles old and the rear tires are down to their last weeks of life. Front set has a couple thousand miles left. The dealer said this is a common problem for GTs. Is this true?

The set on the car now are Pirelli P-Zero (225/45R19 and 255/40R19). They are slightly more performance oriented run-flats which is probably my issue. But just 12,000 miles out of them?

Since I work from home now, I'd love to get a set of tires on it that will last a lot longer. I just need some ideas from someone not trying to take all my money. Are there good 19" options with 30k+ lifespans? Or do I need to change my wheel size?

We'd rather not lose our 19" wheels. Check out how good they look on the Salt Flats! (I believe they are Alpina rims).

Unless anyone wants to trade... The rims are in decent shape except for a small curb rash on one from when I tried driving home from the airport jetlagged from a trip to the middle east.

Thanks everyone!
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      05-24-2021, 09:37 PM   #2
Logicoeur
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: F30 335i xDrive

With that large rear end you can't fit a spare? Go to regular tires and never look back.
F30 335iX | Remus Axleback | Fabspeed Catted DP | VRSF Comp IC | 18X9 ET35 19lb MT1 | 255/40/18 ECS | Ohlins RT Millway Street | Millway Control Arm Bushings | Turner Endlinks | TMH 75mm 14x1.5 Studs | BMW MPerf LSD | XDelete | Pipercross Filter | MHD Stg2 93
Appreciate 1
      05-24-2021, 09:53 PM   #3
Billfitz
Lieutenant General
United_States
Rep
Drives: '15 328iX GT

My original RFT Continentals have 21k miles on them and should last me at least another 4k before I have to replace them, so your dealer is handing you a line of bull. It would take very aggressive driving habits to wear yours out with half that mileage. When I do re-shod it will probably be with Michelin Cross Climate 2.
Appreciate 3
      05-24-2021, 10:39 PM   #4
seanthompson12
Registered
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Billfitz View Post
My original RFT Continentals have 21k miles on them and should last me at least another 4k before I have to replace them, so your dealer is handing you a line of bull. It would take very aggressive driving habits to wear yours out with half that mileage. When I do re-shod it will probably be with Michelin Cross Climate 2.
Thanks for the tip. The tread does look pretty work in the back but I'm a terrible judge of wear/tear. I honestly never thought to check. Feels like we got them yesterday
Appreciate 0
      05-24-2021, 10:43 PM   #5
seanthompson12
Registered
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Logicoeur View Post
With that large rear end you can't fit a spare? Go to regular tires and never look back.
Good point. It does have a nice little compartment for a spare. I think we've been using it to store emergency supplies. Run-flats have been good for peace of mind but not worth the cost so far.
Appreciate 0
      05-25-2021, 06:57 AM   #6
KCee
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: BMW 328 GT XDrive 2016

I have the Run Flat Conti's on mine with nearly 25K and they still look decent. Not sure I'll get RF tires next, but these are holding up. Years ago my wife's Toyota Sienna AWD would chew up the RF tires really quickly, but I think the RF stuff now is much better.
Appreciate 1
      05-25-2021, 10:39 AM   #7
Billfitz
Lieutenant General
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by seanthompson12 View Post
It does have a nice little compartment for a spare.
A compact spare won't fit in the under floor compartment. I keep a tire repair kit, jack and air pump in there, so I can fix a puncture before a deflated tire will suffer sidewall damage. I have a compact spare that I toss in the back when I take an out of town trip, just in case.
Quote:
I'm a terrible judge of wear/tear
That's why tires have wear bars.
Appreciate 2
      05-25-2021, 12:08 PM   #8
johnung
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2015 BMW 335i x-Drive Auto

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by seanthompson12 View Post
Super proud owner of a lovely 2014 F34 in midnight blue. Had it for nearly 2 years now. We LOVE how it drives and it handles anything we throw at it.

BUT...

We're about to purchase the second set of tires for it. The set we have now is 9 months/12,000 miles old and the rear tires are down to their last weeks of life. Front set has a couple thousand miles left. The dealer said this is a common problem for GTs. Is this true?

The set on the car now are Pirelli P-Zero (225/45R19 and 255/40R19). They are slightly more performance oriented run-flats which is probably my issue. But just 12,000 miles out of them?

Since I work from home now, I'd love to get a set of tires on it that will last a lot longer. I just need some ideas from someone not trying to take all my money. Are there good 19" options with 30k+ lifespans? Or do I need to change my wheel size?

We'd rather not lose our 19" wheels. Check out how good they look on the Salt Flats! (I believe they are Alpina rims).

Unless anyone wants to trade... The rims are in decent shape except for a small curb rash on one from when I tried driving home from the airport jetlagged from a trip to the middle east.

Thanks everyone!
BMW runflats just don't last long. And staggered setups are the worst because you can't rotate them from to back like a square setup.

I'd get a quality goflat like summer Michelin Pilot Sport 4S or All Season Michelin PS A/S4 or Continental DWS06 PLUS. Then do the best you can by using correct tire pressures, keeping wheels balanced and alignment within spec.

Tire depth gauge in photo is one of the best tools that I've purchased in years. I record tread depths across the entire tread for each tire on a regular basis. My summer tires are easily lasting longer than my old runflats.
Attached Images

Appreciate 1
      05-25-2021, 12:46 PM   #9
Billfitz
Lieutenant General
United_States
Rep

Johnung, I've never gotten more than about 25k out of the original tires on any car I've owned, so I have no complaint about RFT in that respect. I think the worst original tires I ever had were Firestone Firehawk, and they were high performance summers. They didn't make it past 20k. Cross Climate 2 are at the top of my list as they're the highest rated AS for combined summer and winter use. Whether or not they're run flat or go flat doesn't matter to me.
Appreciate 3
      05-25-2021, 01:07 PM   #10
chowser51
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: F33 430 and F39 M35i

Garage List
I'm also looking at the CrossClimate2 to replace my runflats when they wear soon.

I'm also looking at the Nokian WR G4 and the new General Alitmax AW365.

All three are all weather tires non run flat tires.

I think the WR G4 can be had in run flat in a few sizes. I plan on getting the WR G4 in runflat for my daughter's Subaru when her factory tires wear out.
Appreciate 0
      05-25-2021, 01:41 PM   #11
CajunBMW
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: BMW 340i and X1, Chrysler Van

I have a 340 and it came with Conti RFTs. My first set lasted 15 k on the front. I can't say for the back as I took a serious nail that damaged the tire and I had to replace both backs at 12K. I was using the 32/35 psi recommended on my door frame. My dealer said do 36 psi front and back. I did that for the rest of the time and my second set of the same OEM Conti RFTs gave me 30k. They were done at 30 K. Well the rear had 32K and they were done, the front had a few more miles.

I just replaced all 4 with the new Michelin Pilot Sport 4ZP RFTs. They make the tire in my staggered set up. They are nice tires and I am very pleased. They have a little bit better rated wear life and had good reviews. So far I am very pleased with them.

Are they better or quieter than the Conti's? I don't know since I would be comparing new to old tires and never did a side by side comparison. But I do know these new tires seem very quiet and they have nice traction on fun winding roads, along fast and high speed dry highways and during bloody hellacious southern downpours.
Appreciate 0
      05-25-2021, 03:17 PM   #12
Billfitz
Lieutenant General
United_States
Rep

I never run at the door recommended pressures. They tend to be low, for a smoother ride. I run mine around 10% high, so it they say 32 PSI I do them at 35-36 PSI. I keep an eye on the wear across the tread, if the center is wearing faster than the edges they're over-inflated, if the edges are wearing faster they're under-inflated.
Appreciate 2
      05-25-2021, 07:59 PM   #13
CajunBMW
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Billfitz View Post
I never run at the door recommended pressures. They tend to be low, for a smoother ride. I run mine around 10% high, so it they say 32 PSI I do them at 35-36 PSI. I keep an eye on the wear across the tread, if the center is wearing faster than the edges they're over-inflated, if the edges are wearing faster they're under-inflated.
Yeah that is definitely good advice. In my case the wear was really even when I bumped up the pressure. The fronts looked great even after 30K miles and had even wear. I could not rotate the tires because they were directional and I have a staggered set up.
Appreciate 0
      05-25-2021, 08:30 PM   #14
exE36M3
BMW CCA Member
Rep
Drives: 2015 435i M Sport

So, what's your alignment settings?

If you jut got new tires and never had an alignment, that's a pretty quick explanation for why you didn't get more wear out of your tires.
Appreciate 0
      06-03-2021, 02:23 PM   #15
wemmer
Registered
Rep
Drives: 320d GT xDrive M-sport

I just got a setup of Goodyear Eagle F1 Asymmetric 5 for my 2016 F34 for this summer season. I find them to ride really nicely, giving me good confidence in the car in dry as well in heavy rain. I've not had it on any other summer tires though, as I got it this winter on Pirelli SottoZeros, so I don't have any direct comparison to some other summer tire.
Appreciate 0
      06-05-2021, 08:39 PM   #16
XtremeJP
Rep
Drives: F34 2014

Quote:
Originally Posted by CajunBMW View Post
I just replaced all 4 with the new Michelin Pilot Sport 4ZP RFTs. They make the tire in my staggered set up. They are nice tires and I am very pleased. They have a little bit better rated wear life and had good reviews. So far I am very pleased with them.

Are they better or quieter than the Conti's? I don't know since I would be comparing new to old tires and never did a side by side comparison. But I do know these new tires seem very quiet and they have nice traction on fun winding roads, along fast and high speed dry highways and during bloody hellacious southern downpours.
That's a good choice. For some reason I can't find this tire listed on tirerack when I input a 2014 335xi GT. Where did you get yours from?
Appreciate 0
      06-05-2021, 08:54 PM   #17
CajunBMW
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by XtremeJP View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by CajunBMW View Post

That's a good choice. For some reason I can't find this tire listed on tirerack when I input a 2014 335xi GT. Where did you get yours from?
I bought mine from my local Indy shop, but I found them on tire rack.com. I asked the Indy shop about these tires and they were the ones that also did some additional research. They were available at tire rack in my size - 2018 18" staggered set up that came with my shadow sport 340. The only filter I used when searching tires for my car was RFT. Hope that helps.
Appreciate 0