Tirerack
Use the following links to go directly to useful tirerack winter items: Tirerack Winter Tires. Gary's Winter Tire FAQ.
Using the links directly supports E90Post with tirerack sales commision!

E90Post

The Tire Rack

PLEASE HELP SUPPORT E90POST BY DOING YOUR TIRERACK SHOPPING FROM THIS BANNER, THANKS!

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90 / E92 / E93 3-series Technical Forums > Wheels and Tires Forum Sponsored by The Tire Rack > Snow Tire - Michelin Primacy Alpin PA3 vs Pilot Alpin PA3

Wheels and Tires forum Sponsored by The Tire Rack
Please help to directly support e90post by doing your tirerack shopping from the above link. For every sale made through the link, e90post gets sponsor support to keep the site alive. Disclaimer

08-29-2011, 09:27 PM   #1
bmwhitman
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: E90

Garage List
Snow Tire - Michelin Primacy Alpin PA3 vs Pilot Alpin PA3

I'm looking to buy snows for this winter for my e90 (330i). I'm looking at the Michelin Primacy Alpin PA3 and the Michelin Pilot Alpin PA3. Can anyone comment on these tires?
Appreciate 0
      08-29-2011, 10:44 PM   #2
cb4
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2008 335xi

Pilot alpin 3 are fantastic wet and dry cold weather tires. Snow and ice they are decent. Not great.

I went with the Alpins as I have AWD and the roads are clear of snow and ice 97% of the winter. My car is a daily driver and not used for long trips. If I used my car for ski trips and longer winter road trips I would have chosen a better snow tire. But for my usage the Alpins are ideal.
Appreciate 0
      08-30-2011, 12:19 PM   #3
Gary@TireRack
United_States
Rep
Drives: Formerly 1995 M3

The Pilot Alpin is a bit more performance oriented between the two with slightly better dry grip and cornering/steering response. The Primacy version has slightly better snow and slush traction.

Winter
http://www.tirerack.com/a.jsp?a=AH8&...nter/index.jsp

Please refer to 'Gary/E90 Post' as your previous contact when you order online to help support this forum.
Appreciate 0
      09-08-2011, 01:07 PM   #4
bmwhitman
Private First Class
Rep

Garage List
It sounds like there are marginal differences between the Primacy and Pilot Alpin . Was there a study done on Tire Rack recently? I just want a tire that has good snow and ice traction first and dry handling second. Are these the tires then? If not, any recommendations?
Appreciate 0
      09-08-2011, 04:27 PM   #5
cb4
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2008 335xi

I'd suggest the dunlop winter 3d based on your priorities.
Appreciate 0
      09-08-2011, 08:32 PM   #6
bmwhitman
Private First Class
Rep

Garage List
My first set of snows were Dunlop winter 3D runflats. They were fairly decent during the snow. They last for about 5 winter seasons after which they started gettting really slippery. Didn't like the runflat factor of the tire though. Tire place who slapped them on had a hard time putting them on my rim. It was so difficult that they actually bent of of my rim in the process. Overall I had no issues with Dunlops, just wanted to try a different brand this year but may go back to them after I do more homework.
Appreciate 0
      09-09-2011, 07:39 AM   #7
Gary@TireRack
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by bmwhitman View Post
It sounds like there are marginal differences between the Primacy and Pilot Alpin . Was there a study done on Tire Rack recently? I just want a tire that has good snow and ice traction first and dry handling second. Are these the tires then? If not, any recommendations?
If those are your priorities in that order you may want to consider the Michelin Xice XI2 or Bridgestone Blizzak WS70 instead.

Winter

Please refer to 'Gary/E90 Post' as your previous contact when you order online to help support this forum.
Appreciate 0
      10-07-2011, 08:22 AM   #8
bmwhitman
Private First Class
Rep

Garage List
So now I'm down to Michelin XICE XI2 and Dunlop Winter Sport 3D.

With the Dunlop Winter Sport, they come in 91H and 94V ratings. From a snow or ice traction or even comfort does the ratings impact any of these criterias.

Also, I keep on hearing that Michelin XICE XI2 doesn't have good cornerning and is a bit noisy. Is there any truth to this?
Appreciate 0
      10-08-2011, 05:51 PM   #9
hubble bubble
Captain
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2008 335i

Have Xice2 on my wife's Accord. AMAZING on snow, ice and unplowed roads. Other can claim to be almost as good, none are better. Highy recommended if you drive outside Tarana on a regular basis, especially for winter road trips. But they are squishy on dry roads. Never noticed the noise....with the radio on.

I have Hakkapeliittaa R and I love them. Not as good as Xice2 on ice, but as good or better on fresh snow and as good or better than my old Pilot Alpin on cold, dry roads. And the really break away smoothly when you go a little too fast. What do you expect from snow tires from Finland (home of so many rally dirvers). My biggest complaint is that Tirerack doesn't carry them, nor do most major chains, so it is hard to get deals.
Appreciate 0
      10-10-2011, 10:39 AM   #10
Gary@TireRack
United_States
Rep

Neither the 3D nor the Xi2 is loud compared to other snow tires. The Xi2 is a bit quieter than the 3D. Basically the 3D and Michelin PA3 are tires you go to for better dry grip and steering response compared to the Xi2 which will have better snow and ice traction.

Winter

Appreciate 0
      10-23-2011, 10:35 PM   #11
Boosted_N54
Major
Rep
Drives: 135i N54

All i know is that my 135i COULDNT MOVE AT ALL in the snow with my stock tires and once i put on the PA3 tires it was driving like like a beast in thr snow never got stuck in th snow with pa3
Appreciate 0
      10-25-2011, 08:10 AM   #12
e90-328i
Second Lieutenant
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2011 328i RWD!

Not to throw a wrench in the mix. But I found some pretty good reviews on Toyo garit kx. That's the tire I have decided to go with for my RWD.