E90Post

TNT Racewerks

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90 / E92 / E93 3-series Technical Forums > Wash, Wax, Detailing and Cosmetic protection/repairs > Will be buying E92 soon but no garage

04-01-2014, 01:11 AM   #1
JunkyardDogg
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2011 BMW 335is E92

Will be buying E92 soon but no garage

Hey guys,

I'm in the market for an E92 black sapphire. The problem is that my new condo does not have garage parking, only outdoor assigned parking. What measures can I take to keep the paint and interior in top condition? I've done some research and plan to do the following:

3M crystalline tint 70 all around
Leather conditioner
Carnauba wax once a month

Since I will be driving it daily, i'm not sure if a car cover is worth getting, plus i've heard they can scratch the paint. Any tips?
Appreciate 0
      04-01-2014, 09:33 AM   #2
B39 B58
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2016 340i / M Sport / 6MT

First, think about whether you really want to get a black car. Without a garage, it will look noticeably dirty the day after you wash it--will that drive you crazy? Of course, it also shows scratches more than any other color, so if you care about the paint looking good you'll need to put a lot of work into keeping it that way through proper care technique. For that same reason I would avoid car covers except maybe immediately after washing if you have to.

Carnauba wax won't last as long outside as in a garage, so if you're worried about applying a new layer every month, look into a hybrid wax-sealant or even a coating like opti-coat.

Finally, search this forum for what people say about leather conditioner. We have coated leather so you don't need to "feed" it with a bunch of oily products that will just sit on the surface and attract dirt. Best to use a gentle cleaner regularly and then apply something that gives a nice breathable polymer-based coating for protection.

Last edited by B39 B58; 04-04-2014 at 12:31 AM..
Appreciate 0
      04-01-2014, 01:31 PM   #3
Gig103
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2014 Tesla P85D

SF makes a good point that if you don't want to see a dirty car, reconsider black. But I have a garage and my car still gets dirty, so don't let it be because of a lack of garage!

In your case, keeping on top of the wax or sealant will help protect the paint from the elements, and I'd skip the car cover. Both will help protect the paint, but sealants last longer than the waxes. I'm very vocal in my love of Blackfire Wet Diamond. It lasts months even in the intense Arizona sun.

Do you have access to a hose bib to clean? If not, consider Optimum No Rinse which you add to a bucket for washing. Keep a second bucket around with regular water for rinsing the microfiber cloths in between passes. In fact, use two buckets even if you are washing traditionally!

The links I sent you to above are a forum sponsor. There's currently a promo on car shampoos, including the ONR. Shampoo414 at checkout.
Appreciate 0
      04-01-2014, 09:22 PM   #4
JunkyardDogg
Captain
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by SF Space Grey View Post
First, think about whether you really want to get a black car. Without a garage, it will look noticeably dirty the day after you wash it--will that drive you crazy? Of course, it also shows scratches more than any other color, so if you care about the paint looking good you'll need to put a lot of work into keeping it that way through proper car technique. For that same reason I would avoid car covers except maybe immediately after washing if you have to.

Carnauba wax won't last as long outside as in a garage, so if you're worried about applying a new layer every month, look into a hybrid wax-sealant or even a coating like opti-coat.

Finally, search this forum for what people say about leather conditioner. We have coated leather so you don't need to "feed" it with a bunch of oily products that will just sit on the surface and attract dirt. Best to use a gentle cleaner regularly and then apply something that gives a nice breathable polymer-based coating for protection.
Well, my first choice was space grey and black was my second. But it just so happens I found one with stick and it happens to be black. Maybe i'll wait a little longer. I've had a black car before and know it takes alot of effort to keep clean. But that was in southern california. Now i'm on the east coast and have to deal with rain and snow so i'm a bit paranoid. Good look on the sealant and leather cleaner info. I'll look further into it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gig103 View Post
SF makes a good point that if you don't want to see a dirty car, reconsider black. But I have a garage and my car still gets dirty, so don't let it be because of a lack of garage!

In your case, keeping on top of the wax or sealant will help protect the paint from the elements, and I'd skip the car cover. Both will help protect the paint, but sealants last longer than the waxes. I'm very vocal in my love of Blackfire Wet Diamond. It lasts months even in the intense Arizona sun.

Do you have access to a hose bib to clean? If not, consider Optimum No Rinse which you add to a bucket for washing. Keep a second bucket around with regular water for rinsing the microfiber cloths in between passes. In fact, use two buckets even if you are washing traditionally!

The links I sent you to above are a forum sponsor. There's currently a promo on car shampoos, including the ONR. Shampoo414 at checkout.
No I live in an apartment complex without access. Thanks for the links. Based on what ive been reading I think i'll go with a sealant. But black just looks so nice when its clean!
Appreciate 0
      04-02-2014, 07:02 AM   #5
SHEEDI
Banned
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2009 335i - Sport PKG

Garage List
2009 BMW 335i  [8.50]
look into carpro and opticoat coatings
Appreciate 0
      04-04-2014, 12:53 PM   #6
Gig103
Major
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by JunkyardDogg View Post
Well, my first choice was space grey and black was my second. But it just so happens I found one with stick and it happens to be black. Maybe i'll wait a little longer. I've had a black car before and know it takes alot of effort to keep clean. But that was in southern california. Now i'm on the east coast and have to deal with rain and snow so i'm a bit paranoid. Good look on the sealant and leather cleaner info. I'll look further into it.

No I live in an apartment complex without access. Thanks for the links. Based on what ive been reading I think i'll go with a sealant. But black just looks so nice when its clean!
The No-rinse, and Blackfire Wet Diamond would work well for an apartment complex. I'd go for the black car because it's available in stick, and they can be hard to come by.
Appreciate 0
      04-18-2014, 07:38 PM   #7
JunkyardDogg
Captain
Rep

Ok so after some more research, i've decided to go with the following care for my non-garaged car.

Wash once a month - Optimum No Rinse and Shine
BFWD All Paint protection sealant after washing
Ultima Waterless Wash + to keep clean in between washes. Every week.
BFWD Interior Cleaner & Protectant

So my only question is:

How often do I need to put on the BFWD sealant?
Appreciate 0
      04-18-2014, 09:19 PM   #8
PTek Will
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 335i coupe

If you are going to wash the car once a week, there really isn't too much point in stacking Ultima and Optimum. I would just get a Gallon of Optimum and just dilute to waterless or rinesless. I know Ultima is a bit better in the slickness spectrum but it is just one more product you need to keep around (a pricey one). For the BFWD, I would say reapply every 4 months.
Appreciate 0
      04-20-2014, 09:40 PM   #9
JunkyardDogg
Captain
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by PTek Will View Post
If you are going to wash the car once a week, there really isn't too much point in stacking Ultima and Optimum. I would just get a Gallon of Optimum and just dilute to waterless or rinesless. I know Ultima is a bit better in the slickness spectrum but it is just one more product you need to keep around (a pricey one). For the BFWD, I would say reapply every 4 months.
Ah ok, so Ultima and Optimum can serve the same purpose then as a rinseless wash and a waterless wash. What about a wax? I was also thinking of adding a spray wax as the final step. Will it improve the longevity of the sealant or make it look better?
Appreciate 0
      04-22-2014, 06:59 PM   #10
PTek Will
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 335i coupe

I use pinnacle waterless wash with carnauba and is the best bang for the buck because of its extremely high dilution ratio 1:32. It also leaves a very slick feel afterwards. So I am hitting 2 birds with 1 stone. You can look into ONR with wax to save yourself the step of a spray wax. And yes it will improve the longevity of the sealant. It probably won't do too much for the looks since your car will always look amazing anyways.
Appreciate 0
      04-25-2014, 08:12 PM   #11
Detailed Image
United_States
Rep
Drives: Detailed by Detailed Image

Quote:
Ok so after some more research, i've decided to go with the following care for my non-garaged car.

Wash once a month - Optimum No Rinse and Shine
BFWD All Paint protection sealant after washing
Ultima Waterless Wash + to keep clean in between washes. Every week.
BFWD Interior Cleaner & Protectant

So my only question is:

How often do I need to put on the BFWD sealant?
Having been in this situation, I would recommend the following:

Wash with a standard soap and 2-3 bucket method (standard as in NOT rinseless such as Optimum No Rinse, etc.) and dry very carefully in order to avoid swirl marks, marring, etc. You're much better off with the sapphire metallic instead of jet black as sapphire is much more forgiving and easier to maintain. As good as rinseless/waterless products are these days, you will get a more lubricated surface and avoid swirl marks at least a bit more. For drying, the Metro Sidekick blower is a great tool that will help remove most or all of the water without having to wipe the paint with a towel.

Aside from that, I'd say BFWD every 1-3 months is good and will depend on how much you drive, weather, etc. A spray wax/sealant such as Optimum Car Wax is a great idea every few washes to keep up with the protection.

Oh and I personally like Leatherique products for the leather, but the Blackfire should work just fine.

Ivan @ DI
Appreciate 0
      08-05-2014, 02:07 PM   #12
JunkyardDogg
Captain
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Detailed Image View Post
Having been in this situation, I would recommend the following:

Wash with a standard soap and 2-3 bucket method (standard as in NOT rinseless such as Optimum No Rinse, etc.) and dry very carefully in order to avoid swirl marks, marring, etc. You're much better off with the sapphire metallic instead of jet black as sapphire is much more forgiving and easier to maintain. As good as rinseless/waterless products are these days, you will get a more lubricated surface and avoid swirl marks at least a bit more. For drying, the Metro Sidekick blower is a great tool that will help remove most or all of the water without having to wipe the paint with a towel.

Aside from that, I'd say BFWD every 1-3 months is good and will depend on how much you drive, weather, etc. A spray wax/sealant such as Optimum Car Wax is a great idea every few washes to keep up with the protection.

Oh and I personally like Leatherique products for the leather, but the Blackfire should work just fine.

Ivan @ DI
So before I re-apply the BFWD every few months, do I use a wash to strip off the existing sealant?

After doing some research, I am planning on the following:

Optimum car wash for when its really dirty
ONR wash and shine for semi dirty
UWW+ for slightly dirty

After washing I plan to apply these:

blackfire gloss enhancing polish
BFWD
Appreciate 0
      08-05-2014, 02:42 PM   #13
Eat.Sleep.Race
Out Boosting...
United_States
Rep
Drives: F30 335i M-Sport

I would def not get a black car without a garage, But def keep it waxed regularly, if birds shit on it, clean it that same day, tinted windows will help, interior mainly dash, keep conditioner on it, since the sun will be beating in
      08-05-2014, 05:58 PM   #14
JunkyardDogg
Captain
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eat.Sleep.Race View Post
I would def not get a black car without a garage, But def keep it waxed regularly, if birds shit on it, clean it that same day, tinted windows will help, interior mainly dash, keep conditioner on it, since the sun will be beating in
I'm actually planning on renting out a garage. For the interior seats im gonna use zaino z9 and z10. What's a good dash cleaner?
Appreciate 0
      08-05-2014, 06:25 PM   #15
StevenY.
///M
United_States
Rep
Drives: 10' SG e92 335i

Quote:
I'm actually planning on renting out a garage. For the interior seats im gonna use zaino z9 and z10. What's a good dash cleaner?
I've been using einszett cockpit cleaner, I think it's pretty good. Doesn't leave a shine on the cleaned surface and no left over product odor.

FYI, I have a space grey and no garage and it just so happens that my driveway is under a tree.. What a nightmare after it rains and also the pollen. I wash my car once a week to keep it clean but luckily the lighter paint color is more forgiving and makes it appear less dirty than a black car but if you do rent a garage then it shouldn't be a really big problem. I don't think I'd ever want to own a black car though, I see improperly maintained black cars all the time and it's just disgusting when the sun shines at the paint.
      08-05-2014, 06:46 PM   #16
Eat.Sleep.Race
Out Boosting...
United_States
Rep
Drives: F30 335i M-Sport

Quote:
i use lexol cleaner/conditioner.
      08-29-2014, 01:12 PM   #17
ATLIEN
Captain
Rep
Drives: 08 335i & 11 M3 ZCP

My car is black and I just moved from VA where my car sat under large oak trees. It was a nightmare to keep clean. Between the pollen, sap, seeds, rain, birds and fall leaves it was a miracle that I did not go mad. I washed my car 3 times a week. I now have a garage and couldn't be happier!
Appreciate 0
      08-29-2014, 01:20 PM   #18
Chris_506
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2016 f82

i have a garage...and i never park my car in it. YOLO
Appreciate 0
      08-29-2014, 04:26 PM   #19
335m
Major
Rep
Drives: 08 e92 M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris_506 View Post
i have a garage...and i never park my car in it. YOLO
After I lowered my car on coils it wont make it up my driveway without scraping. So no more garage I guess... haha
      08-29-2014, 06:19 PM   #20
JunkyardDogg
Captain
Rep

I ended up getting a 335is in black sapphire! The paint was already in great condition so I used the following:

Optimum no rinse
Mothers clay
Poorboy black hole glaze
Bfwd

It looks clean so far and I don't park under a tree so I'm good there.

For interior I picked up Zaino z9 and z10. They work really well.
Appreciate 0
      08-31-2014, 02:03 AM   #21
Gig103
Major
United_States
Rep

Nice choices, enjoy the car!
Appreciate 0
      09-04-2014, 12:55 AM   #22
Detailed Image
United_States
Rep
Drives: Detailed by Detailed Image

Quote:
So before I re-apply the BFWD every few months, do I use a wash to strip off the existing sealant?

After doing some research, I am planning on the following:

Optimum car wash for when its really dirty
ONR wash and shine for semi dirty
UWW+ for slightly dirty

After washing I plan to apply these:

blackfire gloss enhancing polish
BFWD
You don't need to strip the sealant if you're applying the same one, but it won't hurt anything at all. I would simply give it a concentrated wash or two when you plan on reapplying the BFWD. Also, you shouldn't need to use the sealant more than every 2-3 months and also you won't want to polish too often either unless you keep getting some minor swirl marks.

Lastly, UWW+ probably has some level of protection in it, so if you end up using it a lot you may want to do a really good wash or two to try and strip it completely before applying BFWD.

Hope that helps,
Ivan @ DI
Appreciate 0