E90Post

TNT Racewerks

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90 / E92 / E93 3-series Technical Forums > Suspension | Brakes | Chassis > Best Suspension Setup for MY Preferences??

02-24-2014, 09:42 PM   #1
Duck360198
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2018 F30 340i Laguna Seca Blue

Exclamation Best Suspension Setup for MY Preferences??

I'm such a noob at suspension and have never done anything more than springs and sway bars on my vehicles. I really want to take my car to the next suspension level but I feel I'm very particular about what I want. So if you don't mind, here is some info about my situation:

SPECIFICS:
  • Vehicle is a 2006 BMW 330i w/ ZSP.
  • Vehicle is a daily driver.
  • Vehicle has NEVER been on a track, nor will it ever see one.
  • Vehicle is currently on Runflats. Looking to go with a 19" wheel and summer tire in the spring, summer, and fall and all season 18s in the winter.
  • Vehicle may be driven in only a dusting of snow. Looking to purchase a beater next winter as a second vehicle.
  • I am located in Cincinnati, OH. Roads are crappy and rough.
  • Budget is at about $1500.

WHAT I WANT:
  • Plug and Play setup. Don't want to add a bunch of components.
  • Great looking stance.
  • Needs to be lower than stock ZSP.
  • Willing to give up a little bit of comfort.
  • Want the planted feel for spirited driving ventures.
  • If adjustability is an option I want to make sure it's easy to do myself (again, not much suspension knowledge here).
  • A setup that does not really limit wheel options.

WHAT I DON'T WANT:
  • I don't want that jarring feeling as I go over bumps.
  • I don't want to slam my car.
  • I don't want to lose any of the performance feel I currently have.
  • I don't want any sort of modification to fenders to make something work.
  • I certainly do not need top of the line ANYTHING.

I'm trying to be as specific as possible here, but I think I've covered anything. If it's springs and struts, great, if it's coilovers I can work with that too. Just want to see what people think is best for my situation.

THANKS!
Appreciate 0
      02-24-2014, 10:30 PM   #2
avocet
Major
Rep
Drives: 2007 328i 2011 X5d

People will chant coilovers, but...

All a coilovers is is a strut with some adjustability. Do you really want to be lower than sport suspension? I find any lower(with sport and SP lowering perches) I would be hitting speed bumps. As it is I need to slow right down. Any faster and I will hit.

I did bilstein HD with oem sport springs. Then added sways and m3 control arms in front and m3 bushings out back. And the already mentioned lowerin perches.

This setup rocks. Don't do track, and don't pretend I am going to. It is a perfect setup for what I wanted in my suspension. Not to low, drives firm but not stupid, and positively rails corners with increased feedback.

Again, perfect for what I wanted.

I think you need to research what you want a little further and then you can begin to focus on what you want for your set up and what the price points will be for different stages of suspension mods.

If you can DIY this is all pretty much within your budget.
Appreciate 0
      02-25-2014, 07:02 AM   #3
Duck360198
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep

I feel like I know exactly what I'm looking for, and it sounds like it's similar to your setup. But I know I want to have a lower appearance. I want the car to look like it's "a bit different from stock." But I do not want to be at a point where clearance is an issue every where I go. So that's where I don't want too much of an aggressive drop. Maybe it DOES end up being a coilover system so I can play with the ride height and adjust as I see fit.

Again, I'm such a noob at this that I just don't really know where to begin because everyone's preferences are different. It's overwhelming.
Appreciate 0
      02-25-2014, 08:01 AM   #4
Chocolate Apocalypse
Private
Rep
Drives: 2011 335i

On my M-Sport I went Koni yellows, BMW Performance springs, SP perches and Z4/E36 M3 bump stops. Rear is slightly lower, 1/2 in at the most, front is a little over an inch lower than stock, levels the car out and a bit lower at the same time. My complex is full of speed bumps and they arent a prob, I have a custom exhaust that hangs down lower than stock but unless the speed bump is a monster I dont scrape. Ride quality is a bit firmer but it feels great, more precise. Took it to SoCal a few weekends ago and even with all the construction on their torn up freeways it wasnt overly jarring. Dont forget you'll need an alignment, be sure to budget for that. Even with the alignment you'll come in at or under your budget. Like avocent I also went with M3 control arms, front sway bar (M3 rear sway and subframe bushings are ready to go in) but they will put you over your budget.
Appreciate 0
      02-25-2014, 09:30 AM   #5
Phil325i
Brigadier General
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: E92 325i MSport Coupe

Garage List
Birds B3 set-up gets rave reviews...

http://www.birdsauto.com/models/3-series-e92e93
E92 pre-LCI 325i - Ohlins R&T; H&R spacers; M3 strut brace; Swift thrust sheets; 3 x chassis braces; diff brace; N53 V-brace; 034 subframe inserts; BMS clutch stop; BMS CDV; RE g/box mounts; Delrin shift bushes; Saikoumichi OCC; Cyba scoops; BMW Perf Exhaust; HEL s/steel brake hoses; M3 rear spoiler; Recaro Sportster CSs; M3 white dash LEDs; LED Angels; LED side repeaters; BMW Perf black grille; CSL reps; SSDD carbon diffuser; Monster Wrap black roof/clear front
Appreciate 0
      02-25-2014, 03:53 PM   #6
SSW
I Can't Drive 55
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2008 BMW 335i (E90)

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chocolate Apocalypse View Post
On my M-Sport I went Koni yellows, BMW Performance springs, SP perches and Z4/E36 M3 bump stops. Rear is slightly lower, 1/2 in at the most, front is a little over an inch lower than stock, levels the car out and a bit lower at the same time.
I've got a 2008 335i Sport Pkg E90. After doing some thread browsing, I was thinking of doing something similar.

I've read the debate between Koni yellow vs FSD & think yellow would be better. Also read discussions about stock Sport springs vs Eibach Pros & I'm leaning towards the Eibach Pros.

A couple of questions:

1. Why did you choose BMW "performance" springs? Are are the BMW "performance" springs different than the BMW Sport springs -- lower, stiffer or what?

2 Already read about using the E36 M3 (Front) & Z4 (Rear) bump stops BUT what are SP perches?

Last edited by SSW; 02-26-2014 at 12:20 AM..
Appreciate 0
      02-25-2014, 04:10 PM   #7
SLOWER
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2003 M3

Garage List
I've ready every thread on here three times and I'm still torn between the KW V1 coilovers and the Eibach Pro/Bilstein Sport combo.

If I sat down and came up with a breakdown as you did it would be almost exactly the same points.

For me, I am leaning away from the coilovers or anything adjustable because I don't want to have anything to second guess, or think about how it's set. I just want to put the parts on and drive, not wonder every time I drive if it should be adjusted a little higher or a little softer. I may be way over thinking it.
Appreciate 0
      02-25-2014, 04:11 PM   #8
Chocolate Apocalypse
Private
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by SSW View Post
Ive got a 220 335i Sport Pkg E90. After doing some thread browsing, I was thinking of doing something similar.

I've read the debate between Koni yellow vs FSD & think yellow would be better. Also read discussions about stock Sport springs vs Eibach Pros & I'm leaning towards the Eibach Pros.

A couple of questions:

1. Why did you choose BMW "performance" springs? Are are the BMW "performance" springs different than the BMW Sport springs -- lower, stiffer or what?

Yes to both, lower and stiffer than Sport springs, but not as low/stiff as Eibachs or H&Rs which is what I wanted

2 Already read about using the E36 M3 (Front) & Z4 (Rear) bump stops BUT what are SP perches?

They lower the front end an extra 1/2 inch or so. When I saw some of the cars with the Performance Springs they still seemed to have the nose of the car too high for me. Didnt think it looked right. http://www.supremepowerparts.com/pro...x?prod_id=6189
Appreciate 0
      02-25-2014, 09:32 PM   #9
Duck360198
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep

Quote:
On my M-Sport I went Koni yellows, BMW Performance springs, SP perches and Z4/E36 M3 bump stops. Rear is slightly lower, 1/2 in at the most, front is a little over an inch lower than stock, levels the car out and a bit lower at the same time. My complex is full of speed bumps and they arent a prob, I have a custom exhaust that hangs down lower than stock but unless the speed bump is a monster I dont scrape. Ride quality is a bit firmer but it feels great, more precise. Took it to SoCal a few weekends ago and even with all the construction on their torn up freeways it wasnt overly jarring. Dont forget you'll need an alignment, be sure to budget for that. Even with the alignment you'll come in at or under your budget. Like avocent I also went with M3 control arms, front sway bar (M3 rear sway and subframe bushings are ready to go in) but they will put you over your budget.
Wish I still lived in LV so I could experience this setup. This sounds like something that would meet my needs. Would you happen to have before and after shots? I would love to see the stance.
Appreciate 0
      02-25-2014, 09:40 PM   #10
Duck360198
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by SLOWER View Post
I've ready every thread on here three times and I'm still torn between the KW V1 coilovers and the Eibach Pro/Bilstein Sport combo.

If I sat down and came up with a breakdown as you did it would be almost exactly the same points.

For me, I am leaning away from the coilovers or anything adjustable because I don't want to have anything to second guess, or think about how it's set. I just want to put the parts on and drive, not wonder every time I drive if it should be adjusted a little higher or a little softer. I may be way over thinking it.
I found myself with the same conflict and figured I was over-thinking it. I feel like I want avoid the complexity of fine tuning coilovers, but it still gives you that opportunity to make adjustments. With springs/struts, what you've got is it. So now I'm conflicted.

Wouldn't you rather fine tune rather than being stuck with a setup? I just don't know.
Appreciate 0
      02-25-2014, 10:03 PM   #11
Chocolate Apocalypse
Private
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Duck360198 View Post
Wish I still lived in LV so I could experience this setup. This sounds like something that would meet my needs. Would you happen to have before and after shots? I would love to see the stance.
I dont have the best before shot but I'll get an after shot when I get home from work tomorrow. Should be enough to get a good idea of the difference. I'll try to dig up some other before pics too
Appreciate 0
      02-26-2014, 12:21 AM   #12
SSW
I Can't Drive 55
United_States
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
I dont have the best before shot but I'll get an after shot when I get home from work tomorrow. Should be enough to get a good idea of the difference. I'll try to dig up some other before pics too
+1. Looking forward to it!
      02-26-2014, 03:09 AM   #13
dtea604
Lieutenant
Canada
Rep
Drives: 06 E90 325i

You could go with kw v1 for the adjustability or even st v1's but that depends on where you live if you see snow/salt. Imnlowered with one finger gap all around. In kw v1's you could also try koni yellows with swift springs msg harold on the forum
VMR VB3 // Mtec v4 AE //Nokya 7000k // M-tec LED plate lights // OEM blacklines // 20% window tint // Cyba air scoops // K&N + charcoal filter delete // BMS Powerbox // front splitters // Hamann front lip// M-tech trunk lip // Magnaflow custom // ER SS brakelines // KW V1's // RS tecknik spacers // H&R spacers
Appreciate 0
      02-26-2014, 06:55 AM   #14
Duck360198
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Awesome! Really looking forward to this.

Quote:
Originally Posted by dtea604 View Post
You could go with kw v1 for the adjustability or even st v1's but that depends on where you live if you see snow/salt. Imnlowered with one finger gap all around. In kw v1's you could also try koni yellows with swift springs msg harold on the forum
Can you clarify your comment on snow/salt? Here in Cincy we see snow (usually minimal but this year is an anomaly) and they are very liberal with their salt. Are you saying from a lower/raising height due to snow I may want to consider coilovers??
Appreciate 0
      02-26-2014, 07:12 AM   #15
Chocolate Apocalypse
Private
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Duck360198 View Post
Can you clarify your comment on snow/salt? Here in Cincy we see snow (usually minimal but this year is an anomaly) and they are very liberal with their salt. Are you saying from a lower/raising height due to snow I may want to consider coilovers??
I believe he means that the finish of one version of KW coilovers is more susceptible to rusting than the other. Forget which off the top of my head.
Appreciate 0
      02-26-2014, 08:03 AM   #16
Gennosuke
Private
United_States
Rep
Drives: 335is Coupe 6MT

Quote:
Originally Posted by Duck360198
I'm such a noob at suspension and have never done anything more than springs and sway bars on my vehicles. I really want to take my car to the next suspension level but I feel I'm very particular about what I want. So if you don't mind, here is some info about my situation:

SPECIFICS:
  • Vehicle is a 2006 BMW 330i w/ ZSP.
  • Vehicle is a daily driver.
  • Vehicle has NEVER been on a track, nor will it ever see one.
  • Vehicle is currently on Runflats. Looking to go with a 19" wheel and summer tire in the spring, summer, and fall and all season 18s in the winter.
  • Vehicle may be driven in only a dusting of snow. Looking to purchase a beater next winter as a second vehicle.
  • I am located in Cincinnati, OH. Roads are crappy and rough.
  • Budget is at about $1500.

WHAT I WANT:
  • Plug and Play setup. Don't want to add a bunch of components.
  • Great looking stance.
  • Needs to be lower than stock ZSP.
  • Willing to give up a little bit of comfort.
  • Want the planted feel for spirited driving ventures.
  • If adjustability is an option I want to make sure it's easy to do myself (again, not much suspension knowledge here).
  • A setup that does not really limit wheel options.

WHAT I DON'T WANT:
  • I don't want that jarring feeling as I go over bumps.
  • I don't want to slam my car.
  • I don't want to lose any of the performance feel I currently have.
  • I don't want any sort of modification to fenders to make something work.
  • I certainly do not need top of the line ANYTHING.

I'm trying to be as specific as possible here, but I think I've covered anything. If it's springs and struts, great, if it's coilovers I can work with that too. Just want to see what people think is best for my situation.

THANKS!
Hey Duck,

Contact Harold at HP Autowerks. Let him know what your looking for. He can help you out for sure and steer you in the right direction. I would go with coilovers. And do it right the first time.

I recently got one for my car and I went with TC Kline SA. First winter season I have them on. I live in NJ/NY area....so far winter roads here have been a pain. And so far I'm liking my setup.

Once you start messing with the suspension though you'll start seeing some of the weakest links of the car.

Still have m3 bits waiting to be put on.

Keep in mind but you probably already know you'll need an alignment after install...also if you decide to re-adjust ride height and also if you add m3 bits down the road.
Appreciate 0
      02-26-2014, 06:54 PM   #17
Chocolate Apocalypse
Private
Rep

These pics arent that great but you may be able to get something out of them lol

Before:

After:

Funny, this is the first time since I swapped suspension that I measured fender height. The rear is same as before and the front is 3/4" lower. Guess the BMW Perf springs dont lower much, if any, after all compared to Sport springs (at least in the rear) Oh well, I'm happy with the overall results.
Appreciate 0
      02-26-2014, 08:38 PM   #18
SSW
I Can't Drive 55
United_States
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Funny, this is the first time since I swapped suspension that I measured fender height. The rear is same as before and the front is 3/4" lower. Guess the BMW Perf springs dont lower much, if any, after all compared to Sport springs (at least in the rear) Oh well, I'm happy with the overall results.
Thanks for the pics & measurements. Given the lack of change w/the BMW Performance springs, I'll go w/my original choice of the Koni yellows w/the Eibach Pro-kit springs which should drop my E90 1.4" in front & 1 in in the rear w/o the need for the SP perches.

Other than some beefier sway bars, I'd just need the E36 M3 front and Z4 rear bump stops to finish the job. Do you happen to know the part numbers for these bump stops?
      02-26-2014, 10:21 PM   #19
Chocolate Apocalypse
Private
Rep

As a matter of fact I do:

Part Number Part Description Quantity Core Price Price Total
31332225377 7-M3 ABSORBER 2 $0.00 $19.22 $38.44
33536770350 ABSORBER 2 $0.00 $17.54 $35.08
Appreciate 0
      02-26-2014, 11:00 PM   #20
SSW
I Can't Drive 55
United_States
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
As a matter of fact I do:

Part Number Part Description Quantity Core Price Price Total
31332225377 7-M3 ABSORBER 2 $0.00 $19.22 $38.44
33536770350 ABSORBER 2 $0.00 $17.54 $35.08
Cool, thanks!
      02-27-2014, 07:03 AM   #21
Duck360198
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep

Quote:
I believe he means that the finish of one version of KW coilovers is more susceptible to rusting than the other. Forget which off the top of my head.
This is something I'd LOVE to know, because I do not want to have to deal with any deterioration. I would assume the higher in price you go the higher teh quality of components. I need to find out.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gennosuke View Post
Hey Duck,

Contact Harold at HP Autowerks. Let him know what your looking for. He can help you out for sure and steer you in the right direction. I would go with coilovers. And do it right the first time.

I recently got one for my car and I went with TC Kline SA. First winter season I have them on. I live in NJ/NY area....so far winter roads here have been a pain. And so far I'm liking my setup.

Once you start messing with the suspension though you'll start seeing some of the weakest links of the car.

Still have m3 bits waiting to be put on.

Keep in mind but you probably already know you'll need an alignment after install...also if you decide to re-adjust ride height and also if you add m3 bits down the road.
Awesome! Thanks a lot for the information. I'll see if I can get in contact with him.

Quote:
These pics arent that great but you may be able to get something out of them lol

That's actually VERY helpful, thank you! I really appreciate it. Have to say, when I saw the pics before I read your commentary I only saw a difference in the front. Seems like a great setup, but I also feel like I want to go a bit lower all around.
Appreciate 0