F30POST
F30POST
2012-2015 BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum (F30 / F32) | F30POST > Technical Forums > Suspension | Chassis | Brakes > Can I drive without a sway bar end link on one side?
ARMA SPEED

03-27-2024, 08:45 PM   #1
mclovin69x
Private
Rep
Drives: 2018 BMW 440i GC

Garage List
Can I drive without a sway bar end link on one side?

I’m swapping out my suspension from the adaptive to non-adaptive and the swaybar and link did not match up on the right side.

I have ordered a new one and it should arrive tomorrow but I was wondering if it would be OK to drive the car to chipotle and back because I really want some chipotle right now.

TL;DR Is it OK to drive Without a swaybar end link on one of the front sides
Appreciate 0
      03-28-2024, 03:25 AM   #2
Watsey
Major General
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: F31 330D sDrive M Sport

Yes. You may notice some reduction in roll control but it won’t be a major problem. Just drive accordingly.

Strange that you couldn’t get the drop links to connect on both sides. This suggests that something is not right with your suspension installation. The positions of the anti-roll bar ends relative to the damper bodies should be the same on the left and right sides.
Current : F31 330sD, remapped, Ohlins Road & Track, Millway camber plates, Quaife LSD, Stoptech brakes + Pagid RSL1 pads all round, Weichers front strut brace, Eibach front & rear anti-roll bars, Michelin MP4S.
Appreciate 1
      03-28-2024, 07:58 AM   #3
mclovin69x
Private
Rep
Drives: 2018 BMW 440i GC

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by Watsey View Post
Yes. You may notice some reduction in roll control but it won’t be a major problem. Just drive accordingly.

Strange that you couldn’t get the drop links to connect on both sides. This suggests that something is not right with your suspension installation. The positions of the anti-roll bar ends relative to the damper bodies should be the same on the left and right sides.
Nah this is a known design choice by BMW. The adaptive struts have the sway bar slot offset by 90 degrees to accomodate the adaptive reservoir so the end link they provide is the opposite for either end. On the non adaptive though, it’s the same end link on both sides.

I’ve installed suspension this car like 4 times at this point trying out different coilovers lol
Appreciate 0