F30POST
F30POST
2012-2015 BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum (F30 / F32) | F30POST > Technical Forums > Navigation, iDrive, Audio, Video, Bluetooth, Phone, Cameras, Electronics > Andream MMI Box - Wireless CarPlay & Android Auto
GetBMWParts

03-26-2024, 05:42 PM   #13003
PGH_X5
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: BMW X5 xdrive50i M Sport

Just saw that Mr. 12 Volt is now offering an NBT MMI. Audi and Porsche folks recommend them often.

https://www.mr12volt.com/collections...ts/p2000-nbtmm
Appreciate 0
      03-26-2024, 10:09 PM   #13004
ToniCipriani
Private First Class
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2012 F30 N20B0O ZMT 7AC

So I just finished installing the Road Top box on my car with HU_ENTRY, got the "CIC High 6-pin" variant, which turns out to be just the NBT version.

So far everything seems to work out of the box, audio passthrough works through the quadlock and didn't need to use the Aux Cable, even microphone seems to all work (I couldn't confirm whether it was pulling audio from the phone or the car's mic, though).

I'm primarily using this for Wireless Android Auto, however connectivity seems a bit finnicky. Android Auto starts fine on my primary phone (Motorola ThinkPhone with Android 14), but refuses to start on my backup (Motorola One Hyper with Android 11). It connects to Bluetooth and Wi-Fi, but when Android tries to start, either I get stuck on the waiting for device to connect screen or I get "failed to recognize device". Haven't tried wired Android Auto though. Phone tries to reconnect via Bluetooth and Wi-Fi and seems to keep looping on that.

Furthermore, I'm noticing if I don't start the car and just the radio, Android Auto doesn't seem to want to connect either. When I start Android Auto when the car is off it prompts me to stop YouTube (the app on the box, not my phone), but then I also get stuck on the waiting on device screen when this happens.

Anyone seen something similar?
Appreciate 0
      03-26-2024, 10:11 PM   #13005
whitewidow
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: 355i

Quote:
Originally Posted by PGH_X5 View Post
Just saw that Mr. 12 Volt is now offering an NBT MMI. Audi and Porsche folks recommend them often.

What would be the benefit of this over the other MMI devices in this post? Is this compatible with a 2018 f36 with ID6?

Last edited by whitewidow; 03-26-2024 at 11:17 PM..
Appreciate 0
      03-27-2024, 02:25 AM   #13006
pacstealer
Rep
Drives: f20

Quote:
Originally Posted by pacstealer View Post
hi guys, i have a bmw F20
here my current Andream info installed

EWM-BMCP-NBT04X
SDK Version: 25.0.0.7.0.0.2.0
CUST Version: EW_B2_V1.6.8_a_n
MCU Version: 21.6.7.116
HW Version: BMW_NBT2_1_G

all is working good, except the fact that periodically (at random) it loses the bluetooth pairing with my phone, and it's pretty annoying...
sometimes during bluetooth calls it just switch off (the call still going ok, but the screen just come back to original BMW, so i have to reboot it)

maybe an update can make it?
thanks
ciao, here to share the good results of my update

previous situation in the quote,
now it's like this:

SDK Version: 25.0.0.7.0.0.2.0
CUST Version: EW_B2_1.6.16_n
MCU Version: 23.1.12.117
HW Version: B_N2_1_G

what i did was to install the MCU update first, and then directly the ISPBOOT of the last version directly, all went fine!
all seems better now, faster navigation in android auto, more fluid i mean, and the audio is much much better if i connect to the mmi box bluetooth --> it's the same loudness of the radio, so i dont have to reduce the volume each time i get a phone call!!! niiiiiceee;
bluetooth of the car seems lower quality in the end, i think they improved a lot the EQ of the box; therefore i still use AUX mode in the car to listen to spotify for instance
Appreciate 0
      03-27-2024, 02:51 AM   #13007
ADHD
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: F30 328i

Garage List
21 M540i  [0.00]
07 e90 335  [0.00]
Got my Roadtop MMI installed yesterday on my HU_CIC 6pin head unit that is NBT version. Everything seems to work ok except the Audio. Iv got no wireless Audio. I swapped the Green fiber optic cables as well to main block and still nothing. What has me boggled The roadtop harness comes with a aux wire coming out there harness not a usb as mentioned in OP. Anytime i try to play spotify music it will send signal to my phone and the phone starts playing the music itself.. When i connect to the usb in armrest and set the idrive to usb it will play the music through the car speakers but only if the phone is plugged in.. Do i really have to run this aux cable from the harness to the glove box like the manual mentions? Thought the aux was included in the quad block but this harness def has a AUX wire that is designed to go to ur armrest input…..
Appreciate 0
      03-27-2024, 03:08 AM   #13008
pacstealer
Rep

in my case i didnt need to connect any cable; just connect the BT of the phone to the car and then to the MMI box, switch mode to AUX in the car and that's it
Appreciate 0
      03-27-2024, 04:23 AM   #13009
Nath4n
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: X7_M50d(2020), X5_30d(2015)

Anybody has FW update v1.7.x for Android B2?

Quote:
Originally Posted by amrit599 View Post
does anyone have a link to MCU version 23.1.12.117 for Andream B2? I've found the sharepoint link on here but it won't let me access sharepoint.
Here you go:
https://mega.nz/file/61IQTDqJ#cJ_ESk...fCQypaHzBSineY

But to be honest, after I updated the MCU with this, my car controls both the MMI as well as car's system at the same time no matter what is on the screen, soooo...
Appreciate 0
      03-27-2024, 05:00 AM   #13010
oleh
Registered
Italy
Rep
Drives: BMW 320d F31

Garage List
2015 320D F31  [0.00]
Добрый день, хочу усовершенствовать свой RL entrynav nav на что-то лучше, подскажите пожалуйста что можно сделать
Appreciate 0
      03-27-2024, 10:40 AM   #13011
pacstealer
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nath4n View Post
Anybody has FW update v1.7.x for Android B2?

Here you go:
https://mega.nz/file/61IQTDqJ#cJ_ESk...fCQypaHzBSineY

But to be honest, after I updated the MCU with this, my car controls both the MMI as well as car's system at the same time no matter what is on the screen, soooo...
can you explain better?
Appreciate 0
      03-27-2024, 10:54 AM   #13012
Nath4n
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: X7_M50d(2020), X5_30d(2015)

pacstealer Not sure what is unclear. When you switch between car's infotainment and MMI the control knob and steering wheel buttons are supposed control only the system which is displayed on the screen. At least that's how it should behave.
After I updated from 21.6.7.116 (which was working as intended) to 23.1.12.117, both the knob as well as steering wheel buttons control both systems at the same time, so e.g. when I move up in the car's infotainment, it moves up in the MMI GUI as well, when I want to check my tire pressure it also stops a music played via MMI, etc.
Appreciate 0
      03-27-2024, 10:58 AM   #13013
pacstealer
Rep

Nath4n
ok clear, seems a bug; try to reinstall the old one, and then the latest
Appreciate 0
      03-27-2024, 12:04 PM   #13014
whitewidow
Enlisted Member
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by PGH_X5 View Post

Apparently does not work with ID6. This would be ideal for me as it is lossless audio.
Appreciate 0
      03-27-2024, 02:58 PM   #13015
hagncola
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: BMW F20 (12/2018)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nath4n View Post
pacstealer Not sure what is unclear. When you switch between car's infotainment and MMI the control knob and steering wheel buttons are supposed control only the system which is displayed on the screen. At least that's how it should behave.
After I updated from 21.6.7.116 (which was working as intended) to 23.1.12.117, both the knob as well as steering wheel buttons control both systems at the same time, so e.g. when I move up in the car's infotainment, it moves up in the MMI GUI as well, when I want to check my tire pressure it also stops a music played via MMI, etc.

Did you disconnect the negative terminal of the battery for 5 minutes to check if it help ?
Appreciate 0
      03-27-2024, 03:15 PM   #13016
dws199
Private
Rep
Drives: BMW 520d M Sport 2014

Quote:
Originally Posted by hagncola View Post
Try without connect the Phone to the car bluetooth and check if it´s working.
Thanks, yes if I disconnect the cars Bluetooth then the issue goes away but obviously I can't then use the cars Bluetooth for calls. Is there any work around?
Appreciate 0
      03-27-2024, 04:38 PM   #13017
hagncola
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: BMW F20 (12/2018)

Quote:
Originally Posted by dws199 View Post
Thanks, yes if I disconnect the cars Bluetooth then the issue goes away but obviously I can't then use the cars Bluetooth for calls. Is there any work around?

As far as i know, no. It seems the bluetooth connection of the OEM iDrive "steals" the voice button. You can use "hey siri / hey google" or long press the idrive controller. Maybe you give a try for calls with the mmi box and use the auto calibrate option during a call (ex. mailbox) and use a litte bit louder volume. Change the volume -/+ as long as the result from the auto calibrate is 100 %.

Works for me without issue (no echo) since weeks, never used OEM bluetooth again.

The only point, you can not use the shortcuts 1 to 8 for phone numbers and some phone functions on the cluser.
Appreciate 1
      03-27-2024, 07:35 PM   #13018
PGH_X5
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: BMW X5 xdrive50i M Sport

Quote:
Originally Posted by whitewidow View Post
What would be the benefit of this over the other MMI devices in this post? Is this compatible with a 2018 f36 with ID6?
I would guess firmware implement and support plus better audio. Mr12V has a good reputation.
Appreciate 0
      03-28-2024, 12:32 AM   #13019
muniz_ri
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: BMW 320I

Quote:
Originally Posted by 3zmac View Post
I have a pixel and while my stretch doesn't seem as bad as yours (F25 x3), I haven't found a solution yet. I've been just using it stretched, which bothers me less than having blank areas on the left and right of the screen from the scrap adjustment.

Android Auto SHOULD support any size screen, just like CarPlay does. From the threads linked below, it looks like Android relies on the car manufacturer to tell the phone what size display it should use. Otherwise the phone will use it's best guess, which may either not fill the screen, or may appear stretched. Our MMI devices must not be communicating screen resolution back to the phone the way it expects (it may not be their fault- who knows if the car allows them to detect the resolution first place!), so the phone standardizes the Android Auto resolution as close as it can estimate. I'm not sure how CarPlay gets around this, but Apple has a history of using their own non-standard methods to figure these things out.

https://www.reddit.com/r/AndroidAuto...id_auto_fully/

https://support.google.com/androidau...r-screen?hl=en

There may be a way to mess with it in developer settings, but I'm not seeing an AndroidAuto setting in my developer settings. Next time I'm in my car I will connect and see if I AndroidAuto customizations pop up in developer settings.

Again, this is all a guess- I could be way off in how all of these thigns work so don't necessarily take my word for it.
You are correct. The mmi sends the resolution/aspect ratio and dpi ("density") values to the phone. The problem with all of the mmi's, except Bimmertech's, is that they are sending the same resolution value for both 8.8" and 10.2" screen, i.e. 1280x480. This is why the display appears stretched on 10.2" screens. Bimmertech's mmi sends a resolution of 1280x480 for the 8.8" screen and 1440x540 for the 10.2" screen.

As a side note, the dpi values change the size of the screen elements and they also trigger changes in the layout. For example, in the attached pic the eta bar at the bottom is displayed much smaller than usual after increasing the dpi on my Carlinkit unit.
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      03-28-2024, 04:44 AM   #13020
dws199
Private
Rep
Drives: BMW 520d M Sport 2014

Quote:
Originally Posted by muniz_ri View Post
You are correct. The mmi sends the resolution/aspect ratio and dpi ("density") values to the phone. The problem with all of the mmi's, except Bimmertech's, is that they are sending the same resolution value for both 8.8" and 10.2" screen, i.e. 1280x480. This is why the display appears stretched on 10.2" screens. Bimmertech's mmi sends a resolution of 1280x480 for the 8.8" screen and 1440x540 for the 10.2" screen.

As a side note, the dpi values change the size of the screen elements and they also trigger changes in the layout. For example, in the attached pic the eta bar at the bottom is displayed much smaller than usual after increasing the dpi on my Carlinkit unit.
Hi

Is there anyway to change the DPI setting for the Roadtop MMI? I assume you've repackaged your own firmware for your Carlinkit version?
Appreciate 0
      03-28-2024, 07:20 AM   #13021
whitewidow
Enlisted Member
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by muniz_ri View Post

What carlinkit device are you using? All i want Is Android auto. I have factory carplay but from what I gather the carlinkit needs carplay over USB and apparently my 2018 f36 can only do wireless carplay?
Appreciate 0
      03-28-2024, 11:24 AM   #13022
Chris567
Registered
Rep
Drives: BMW 328

Quote:
Originally Posted by hagncola View Post
If you using AUX, on MMI menu exist audio settings (general, music, navigation, voice (siri) . If you using fully bluetooth (phone and "music") it will not work to have different levels (as far as i know).
More infos about your system, firmware would help.
I also have a problem with the volume over BT. Music volume is fine when playing by itself. Speech (eg driving directions) are fine when playing by themselves. But when music is on and speech is on both play at a low volume. In AUX it works fine -- the music becomes faint and speech plays at regular volume when both happen; but this isn't happening with BT. I emailed Roadtop and they were researching it.
Appreciate 0
      03-28-2024, 04:41 PM   #13023
ADHD
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: F30 328i

Garage List
21 M540i  [0.00]
07 e90 335  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by pacstealer View Post
in my case i didnt need to connect any cable; just connect the BT of the phone to the car and then to the MMI box, switch mode to AUX in the car and that's it
Ya bluetooth is connected to Carplay and bmw31??? and the Wifi is connected to the Carplay. I set the CD/MULTIMEDIA setting to aux and it does NOTHING>> If I plug in the phone on the usb (charger) and go back in the settings and set it to IPHONE on USB the volume works...

i transfered the green Fiber optic cables to the quadlock that goes in the back of the HU but the ROADTOP harness has a AUX plug that there Directions say needs to be plugged into the armrest Aux?

After a little research I Think having a HU_CIC on the NBT setup The Quadlock doesnt have an aux built in.. I dropped the aux wire behind the unit and to the side ran it under the trim to the middle armrest and up through the aux/usb block so its completly hidden except the plug itself plugging into the aux.... It works flawless now every startup..

Last edited by ADHD; 03-28-2024 at 06:34 PM..
Appreciate 0
      03-28-2024, 11:37 PM   #13024
ToniCipriani
Private First Class
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2012 F30 N20B0O ZMT 7AC

Quote:
Originally Posted by MMcoding View Post
You need to change the settings in MMI box

Go to SETUP -> CarPlay/Android auto -> Auto dark mode set it to ON
This didn't seem to work for me. For my box it seems like there is dark mode for Carplay but not for Android Auto. I tried toggling that option my maps are still daylight bright.

EDIT: So apparently it DOES work. However, it fails to detect if it's at night and the headlights are already on. I have to switch off and on my headlights (I usually leave mine at on), then it detects it correctly.

Last edited by ToniCipriani; 03-31-2024 at 03:13 PM..
Appreciate 0