E90Post

Coby Wheel

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90 / E92 / E93 3-series Powertrain and Drivetrain Discussions > NA Engine (non-turbo) / Drivetrain / Exhaust Modifications > Valvetronic Relearn Procedure

02-20-2023, 01:52 PM   #1
Suvorovo
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: Broken e90 330xi 6MT

Valvetronic Relearn Procedure

I have an 11/2005 production e90 330xi and looking to replace the valve cover shortly.

Is it necessary to run the valvetronic motor relearn procedure in ISTA+ after removing the motor properly? I believe the early models don't have that feature when the motor is calibrated in accessory position.

How long does the procedure take? I've seen a post stating around 20 minutes. Is this true? If so, can someone recommend a voltage stabilizer for coding? My battery is pretty old, but doesn't have issues starting up the car when it sat for a month while I was away on vacation.

My car will currently grounded for 2 weeks while I wait for parts. Oil is in the spark plug wells.
Appreciate 0
      02-20-2023, 04:03 PM   #2
rjahl
Colonel
Rep
Drives: Z4 35is

Garage List
2012 Z4 35is  [0.00]
Just key-on the ignition for a few seconds without starting. Turn off the ignition and then start the car. During the initial key on you should be able to hear the valvetronic motor run stop to stop and relearn, takes maybe two seconds.
Appreciate 1
Suvorovo254.00
      02-20-2023, 04:26 PM   #3
Suvorovo
Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by rjahl View Post
Just key-on the ignition for a few seconds without starting. Turn off the ignition and then start the car. During the initial key on you should be able to hear the valvetronic motor run stop to stop and relearn, takes maybe two seconds.
I know of this procedure, but is it also true of early model E90s (11/2005). I've seen some posts saying the magnesium valve cover n52 models don't have that ability.

I've done some more research and I found there are two different service functions

1. Valvetronic Start Up (This is the 20 minute procedure I've seen used on F series cars, the car is running during the procedure so no battery charger is necessary. Maybe this is a more advanced ISTA/D Calibration for fine tuning the motor as it is not present in ISTA+ for my model)
2. Learning Valvetronic Limit Positions (I believe this is the two second procedure, it's the only option available in ISTA+ under Engine Electronics service function)
Appreciate 0
      02-20-2023, 05:36 PM   #4
rjahl
Colonel
Rep
Drives: Z4 35is

Garage List
2012 Z4 35is  [0.00]
Valvetronic is controlled with the DME in your case it’s the MSV70 and the learn procedure is certainly built in. My old car had the same DME.

All of those should now be running the latest 921 ROM .
Appreciate 1
Suvorovo254.00
      03-20-2024, 04:52 PM   #5
H-10btr
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: 2006 BMW 330xi

Quote:
Originally Posted by Suvorovo View Post
I know of this procedure, but is it also true of early model E90s (11/2005). I've seen some posts saying the magnesium valve cover n52 models don't have that ability.

I've done some more research and I found there are two different service functions

1. Valvetronic Start Up (This is the 20 minute procedure I've seen used on F series cars, the car is running during the procedure so no battery charger is necessary. Maybe this is a more advanced ISTA/D Calibration for fine tuning the motor as it is not present in ISTA+ for my model)
2. Learning Valvetronic Limit Positions (I believe this is the two second procedure, it's the only option available in ISTA+ under Engine Electronics service function)
Did you ever do this? Did the ignition method work? I’m going pull my valvtronic motor on an 06 right now.
Appreciate 0
      03-21-2024, 07:53 AM   #6
Suvorovo
Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by H-10btr View Post
Did you ever do this? Did the ignition method work? I’m going pull my valvtronic motor on an 06 right now.
No, upon removing the valve cover, I was greeted with four sheared off head bolts. At that point, I wrapped it up and gave it to a shop to drill them out and replace which required locking timing and removing vanos sprockets - too big for driveway work.

When I removed the valvetronic motor, I was very careful to make sure the motor was set correctly so it didn't spring out. People have damaged their eccentric shafts.
Appreciate 0