F30POST
F30POST
2012-2015 BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum (F30 / F32) | F30POST > 2012-2019 BMW 3 and 4-Series Forums > General F30 Sedan / F32 Coupe / F36 Gran Coupe Forum > Factory alarm
Studio RSR

08-18-2013, 07:14 PM   #1
jplev
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2024 i4 xDrive40

Garage List
Factory alarm

My current E90 has the factory alarm. I had automatically thought I needed one in considering an F30, but then I got to thinking if I really need it. My car is in a garage at night and for work, I park at an office in a good area. I can't think of any other areas I go where the car would be in particularly bad area.

Also, if you do not get the alarm, are there any other features that would be missing (ie does car still chirp when locking/unlocking, do lights still flash when locking/unlocking, etc)? I would still be getting comfort access.

Lastly, is there generally a discount on auto insurance if you have the alarm which over time will offset it's cost (and if so, approximately how much)?
Appreciate 0
      08-18-2013, 07:23 PM   #2
BMW_F30
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: F30 2013

w/o alarm marker lights still blink, however no chirp.

I haven't tested the F30 alarm to see just how useful it is, but given that other posts here have shown that the doors can be unlocked fairly easily w/o key, its nice to make some noise if someone is bold enough to try that on your car.

I believe the F30 alarm also has a towing sensor that would activate the siren if car was towed. Kind of helpful if someone actually cared about the siren blaring.

You may get a discount on your insurance, but my experience is this discount is negligible. Like $5-15/year. I had asked about the blind spot warning and lane change warning discount before I got my car and insurance company told me something like $6/year each. Laughable!

Personally, I say get the alarm for piece of mind. You seem to be worried (at least a bit).
Appreciate 0
      08-18-2013, 10:49 PM   #3
Dan_335i
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2014 335i EBII MSport

Or u can get a viper security alarm
Appreciate 0