BMW M3 Forum (E90 E92)

BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

Go Back   M3Post - BMW M3 Forum > E90/E92 M3 Technical Topics > Engine, Transmission, Exhaust, Drivetrain, ECU Software Modifications

BPM

12-19-2023, 12:52 PM   #1
N0MAD
Rep
Drives: M3 370z

Garage List
2012 bmw e92 M3  [10.00]
DCT stalling when engaging drive or reverse

So this is what’s happening on my
2012 e92 m3 DCT
67k miles

Car turns on fine
Push gear selector to drive or reverse and cars lurches forward and stalls out

Exactly like dumping the clutch in a manual and stalling

Leave the car off for a couple minutes for it to completely shut off

Turn it back on and it’s fine

plugged in the scanner and no codes were stored

Car has gts trans tune but I’ve had it on there for 2 months no issues just happened the other day

If you have an idea of what it may be let me know!

The only thing I found online that was remotely similar ended up being a ground wire from the engine to the oil pan?

But I have no idea

Please help!
Appreciate 0
      02-06-2024, 08:43 AM   #2
N0MAD
Rep

Garage List
2012 bmw e92 M3  [10.00]
Bump did a transmission service and the car ran fine for a month or two and now it did it again push car to drive car lurches forward stalls

Turn on

Push car into reverse car lurches back and stalls

Any ideas?
Appreciate 0
      02-06-2024, 09:06 AM   #3
DrFerry
Field Marshal
United_States
Rep
Drives: '08 E92 M3

Garage List
2008 BMW M3  [5.25]
2015 BMW X5  [4.50]
Quote:
Originally Posted by N0MAD View Post
Bump did a transmission service and the car ran fine for a month or two and now it did it again push car to drive car lurches forward stalls. Turn on. Push car into reverse car lurches back and stalls. Any ideas?
The DCT fluid level maybe quite low. Get the car up on the lift with the car warm and up to normal operating temperature. Check the DCT fluid level using the established BMW procedure. Search the forums for the DCT fluid check and fill procedure. It can take quite sometime to get the DCT properly filled with the engine idling (if I recall correctly). The DCT clutches are wet clutches inside a basket and depend upon the correct DCT fluid level for smooth operation. The DCT maybe leaking fluid from the mechatronics side cover, or the loom "O" ring on the top of the gearbox, or the pan gasket corner (or all of the above). Over time enough fluid will leak out that operation becomes clunky and or the DCT will overheat. Try all of the above first before going back to OEM DCT software.
'08 E92 M3 DCT Melbourne Red/Bamboo Beige Leather/EDC/SSP Spec-R DCT clutch discs/SSP Pro-Gold DCT Fluid/Quaife LSD/3:45 Final Drive by Diffs Online/BE Bearings & ARP Bolts/Vibra Technics Engine Mounts/M3 World HFC X-Pipe/LUX H8 180/BPM Sport DCT Tune/PFC Z-Rated Pads/ECS Brass Brake Caliper Bushings/Alex Shop Solid Sub-frame Bushings/Motul 600/Tint
Appreciate 2
      02-06-2024, 10:10 AM   #4
omgzirra_exe
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 4.4L M3, IS300

Quote:
Originally Posted by DrFerry View Post
The DCT fluid level maybe quite low. Get the car up on the lift with the car warm and up to normal operating temperature. Check the DCT fluid level using the established BMW procedure. Search the forums for the DCT fluid check and fill procedure. It can take quite sometime to get the DCT properly filled with the engine idling (if I recall correctly). The DCT clutches are wet clutches inside a basket and depend upon the correct DCT fluid level for smooth operation. The DCT maybe leaking fluid from the mechatronics side cover, or the loom "O" ring on the top of the gearbox, or the pan gasket corner (or all of the above). Over time enough fluid will leak out that operation becomes clunky and or the DCT will overheat. Try all of the above first before going back to OEM DCT software.
correct, your DCT fluid might not be filled to its max capacity.

alternatively, use ISTA to do a clutch pack relearn.
Appreciate 1
DrFerry6728.50
      03-16-2024, 10:50 PM   #5
N0MAD
Rep

Garage List
2012 bmw e92 M3  [10.00]
Update, had a faulty trans pan from fall line Motorsport they sent over another one.

transmission service completed again no visible leaks and car is still experiencing same symptoms

No codes either my only option is to flash the ECU back to stock as well as the dct and see if that fixed it

If anyone has any other ideas I’m all ears

Thanks!
Appreciate 0
      03-16-2024, 10:52 PM   #6
omgzirra_exe
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Update, had a faulty trans pan from fall line Motorsport they sent over another one.

transmission service completed again no visible leaks and car is still experiencing same symptoms

No codes either my only option is to flash the ECU back to stock as well as the dct and see if that fixed it

If anyone has any other ideas I’m all ears

Thanks!
and you are certain they did the proper DCT fill service?
Appreciate 0
      03-16-2024, 10:54 PM   #7
N0MAD
Rep

Garage List
2012 bmw e92 M3  [10.00]
Yes proper dct fill procedure was done
Appreciate 0
      03-16-2024, 11:04 PM   #8
omgzirra_exe
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Yes proper dct fill procedure was done
clutch pack re-learn? Dct adaptation reset?

did you check your engine grounding cable? battery swap?

bringing the last 2 up, because a friend experienced DCT doing the same thing at the track, and we ended up charging his battery and it resolved everything.

make sure it's running around 13V..

you would also have a lot of warnings if your clutch packs were slipping as well.. so we can somewhat rule that out.

alternatively.. there is 2 items in the DCT that does need to be serviced IMO.

the low pressure pump and the jet pump...
Appreciate 0
      03-16-2024, 11:20 PM   #9
N0MAD
Rep

Garage List
2012 bmw e92 M3  [10.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by omgzirra_exe View Post
clutch pack re-learn? Dct adaptation reset?

did you check your engine grounding cable? battery swap?

bringing the last 2 up, because a friend experienced DCT doing the same thing at the track, and we ended up charging his battery and it resolved everything.

make sure it's running around 13V..

you would also have a lot of warnings if your clutch packs were slipping as well.. so we can somewhat rule that out.

alternatively.. there is 2 items in the DCT that does need to be serviced IMO.

the low pressure pump and the jet pump...
Relearn and adaptation both done I did get a new dct transmission fluid pump installed as well

I will check the batter alternator and grounding cable as I feel as if it has to be electrical or software related as It happens very scarcely

When it does happen i turn the car back on and off again and wait until I hear these electrical clicking sounds by the dash as if the car is completely going to sleep as soon as the car does that I turn it back on and it goes into gear and drives fine every single time
Appreciate 0
      03-16-2024, 11:24 PM   #10
omgzirra_exe
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Relearn and adaptation both done I did get a new dct transmission fluid pump installed as well

I will check the batter alternator and grounding cable as I feel as if it has to be electrical or software related as It happens very scarcely

When it does happen i turn the car back on and off again and wait until I hear these electrical clicking sounds by the dash as if the car is completely going to sleep as soon as the car does that I turn it back on and it goes into gear and drives fine every single time
yeah, wouldnt hurt to check the voltage regulator as well on the alternator.
Appreciate 0
      03-16-2024, 11:26 PM   #11
N0MAD
Rep

Garage List
2012 bmw e92 M3  [10.00]
I’ll go ahead and do that too thanks for the help man I’ll report back when I have more info
Appreciate 0