F30POST
F30POST
2012-2015 BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum (F30 / F32) | F30POST > 2012-2019 BMW 3 and 4-Series Forums > General F30 Sedan / F32 Coupe / F36 Gran Coupe Forum > F30 335i - Questions/Observations after 4 weeks & 1100 miles
ARMA SPEED

01-08-2014, 06:33 PM   #1
M3AWD
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2022 G80 M3 AWD

F30 335i - Questions/Observations after 4 weeks & 1100 miles

BIMMERPOST
     Featured on BIMMERPOST.com
I took delivery of my 2014 F30 335i 4 weeks ago, and I managed to put 1100 miles on the odometer to be able to gradually push it through the rpm range So far I'm very happy with the car but I have a few questions/observations.

1. The engine takes far too long to warm up.. The needle is basically stuck at 160F throughout my 4 mile (10min) commute to and from work. It takes 15min+ of driving to get it close to 200F. Yes the weather can affect that but this even happens at ambient temp of 60F. Is this normal?

2. I have comfort access, is there a way to unlock the driver's door by touching the handle once and then unlock the other doors by touching it another time.. Or maybe there's another trick to do that. I know I can select opening all doors at once through iDrive but that's not what I'm looking for.

3. After you stop the car and switch the engine off, is there a way to unlock all doors when you open the driver's door?

4. Almost every time I drive off and I'm still in the neighborhood driving at like 15mph I hear noises that sound like mud was stuck onto the tires and is coming off and hitting the wheel wells. It's very weird and as I can't think of anything being regularly stuck onto the tires! And no I'm not taking the F30 off-road!

5. Even when I set the AC/Heat on manual temperature and fan power, at some point the car decides to adjust the temperature. I think this only happens when I switch the car off and then on, but not sure. It happened a few times.

2022 G80 M3 Comp M xDrive
Appreciate 0
      01-08-2014, 06:38 PM   #2
jdong
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2013 BMW ActiveHybrid 3

1. Why do you care about the engine coolant temp?

2. No, what you've listed is already what the car supports. There isn't a mode where you can touch the door handle a different number of times to unlock specific sets of doors.

3. You can code the car to do that, but it's not default. Most people just make a habit of pushing the unlock button after pushing the engine off button.

4. Constantly? Perhaps it's just rolling noise from your run flat tires, possibly dampened by the suspension / deadened by the cabin insulation?

5. I've also noticed that sometimes certain manual override settings don't stick after power cycling. I don't think I've ever seen the temperature setting change by itself though.
      01-08-2014, 07:12 PM   #3
DTRJ
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2024 X4 M40I

The Temp Gauge Is Oil Temp Not Coolant Temp. In Cold Weather It May Never Get To The Center Of The Gauge. It Takes A Lot Longer To Heat Up Oil Than It Does For Water.
Appreciate 0
      01-08-2014, 07:18 PM   #4
olinjohnston
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2014 428i & 1994 840Ci

Quote:
Originally Posted by M-SP0RT View Post
1. The engine takes far too long to warm up.. The needle is basically stuck at 160F throughout my 4 mile (10min) commute to and from work. It takes 15min+ of driving to get it close to 200F. Yes the weather can affect that but this even happens at ambient temp of 60F. Is this normal?
That gauge is not your coolant temp. It is your OIL temp. It should stay in the cooler ranges for quite a while unless you're driving it really hard.

In fact, older BMWs with the coolant temp gauge had a "dummy gauge" anyway that would read on-center even with huge variations in operating temp so long as it was within "normal."

Quote:
2. I have comfort access, is there a way to unlock the driver's door by touching the handle once and then unlock the other doors by touching it another time.. Or maybe there's another trick to do that. I know I can select opening all doors at once through iDrive but that's not what I'm looking for.
No, the only way to get the other door to open would be to set it in iDrive to unlock all at the first contact/button press.

Quote:
3. After you stop the car and switch the engine off, is there a way to unlock all doors when you open the driver's door?
Only the fuel filler door unlocks itself when you manually open the driver's door from locked.

Quote:
4. Almost every time I drive off and I'm still in the neighborhood driving at like 15mph I hear noises that sound like mud was stuck onto the tires and is coming off and hitting the wheel wells. It's very weird and as I can't think of anything being regularly stuck onto the tires! And no I'm not taking the F30 off-road!
Your street is probably just dirty.

Quote:
5. Even when I set the AC/Heat on manual temperature and fan power, at some point the car decides to adjust the temperature. I think this only happens when I switch the car off and then on, but not sure. It happened a few times.
No idea.
Appreciate 0
      01-08-2014, 07:33 PM   #5
300hp
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: X5 & 335xi

OIL TEMP

Someone posted an article here which in short stated that the harder you push it, sport+ DS ON, the lower the gauge goes.

My experience has been if I am pushing it hard at highway speeds, DS ON/Sport+ the gauge will fall to the 1/4 mark. At times when I am driving on local roads, 35mph type stuff, I can switch to DS ON and use the paddle shifters to stay in 2nd gear switching from 2 to 3 just to listen to the exhaust note (burbles, pops)and the N55 engine note. After a while the temp gauge is at the halfway mark. I highly recommend that you try this to get acquainted with your exhaust.

Also try switching driving modes so you can hear the different notes from the engine/exhaust in each mode and as you add more mileage to the car, you will notice the notes get better.

Enjoy your F30, let the Prius drivers worry about the doors and A/C

Deep Sea Blue Metallic 2013 X5 35d Sport
Prem, Convenience, Cold and Premium Sound packages
Appreciate 0
      01-08-2014, 10:59 PM   #6
snowghost
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: '13 335i M-Sport 6MT

Quote:
Originally Posted by 300hp View Post
OIL TEMP

Someone posted an article here which in short stated that the harder you push it, sport+ DS ON, the lower the gauge goes.

My experience has been if I am pushing it hard at highway speeds, DS ON/Sport+ the gauge will fall to the 1/4 mark. At times when I am driving on local roads, 35mph type stuff, I can switch to DS ON and use the paddle shifters to stay in 2nd gear switching from 2 to 3 just to listen to the exhaust note (burbles, pops)and the N55 engine note. After a while the temp gauge is at the halfway mark. I highly recommend that you try this to get acquainted with your exhaust.

Also try switching driving modes so you can hear the different notes from the engine/exhaust in each mode and as you add more mileage to the car, you will notice the notes get better.

+1
      01-09-2014, 09:14 AM   #7
M3AWD
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2022 G80 M3 AWD

Thanks everyone for your input.

1. How would you know that the car has warmed up enough to be pushed through the higher rpm range?

2. & 3. I can live with that

4. My street is not dirty, and this is not just noise from the RFTs. This only happens the first minute or so of driving, as I said as if something was stuck on the tires and fell off! Weird but not a big deal.

5. I'll keep an eye on that but I think I'll stick to using the auto mode.
Quote:
Originally Posted by 300hp View Post
OIL TEMP

That's exactly what I've been doing. I love the pops & burbles the exhaust makes on upshifts & downshifts but I'm a little bit disappointed with the exhaust note. I expected it to be a little louder but I can't complain this is not an M afterall I can see myself going with an aftermarket exhaust a year or two down the road

2022 G80 M3 Comp M xDrive
Appreciate 0
      01-09-2014, 09:53 AM   #8
300hp
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: X5 & 335xi

Quote:

1. How would you know that the car has warmed up enough to be pushed through the higher rpm range?

2. & 3. I can live with that

4. My street is not dirty, and this is not just noise from the RFTs. This only happens the first minute or so of driving, as I said as if something was stuck on the tires and fell off! Weird but not a big deal.

5. I'll keep an eye on that but I think I'll stick to using the auto mode.

That's exactly what I've been doing. I love the pops & burbles the exhaust makes on upshifts & downshifts but I'm a little bit disappointed with the exhaust note. I expected it to be a little louder but I can't complain this is not an M afterall I can see myself going with an aftermarket exhaust a year or two down the road
You can add PPK, it enhances the sound and so does time/mileage, an aftermarket setup should enhance things even more

Deep Sea Blue Metallic 2013 X5 35d Sport
Prem, Convenience, Cold and Premium Sound packages
Appreciate 0
      01-09-2014, 10:00 AM   #9
drob23
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: S4

Quote:

It's not uncommon for the engine oil to take 10-15 min to get up to steady state operating temps under normal driving in the AM, especially in this weather. Maybe you're just used to seeing the temp gauge depict coolant temps in other cars, which take maybe 2 min to get up to operating temps.

It's most definitely wise to wait until you're up there to rev things out, especially if going into hoon mode. But as always, it's about as classic of a "YMMV argument" as you can find. I'm sure there's an army of people here who "drive it like you stole it from the garage and no problems."
Appreciate 0