E90Post

The Tire Rack

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90 / E92 / E93 3-series Technical Forums > ConnectedDrive / I-Drive / Navigation Related Discussion > To I-Drive Or Not To I-Drive

07-26-2010, 02:11 PM   #1
Dozer281
Private
Rep
Drives: F150

To I-Drive Or Not To I-Drive

Ok, so I am not yet a BMW owner however I have been doing my research and have determined that the 2007 335i is the car for me. Sadly, the car which I was going to purchase sold to another buyer since I busy Saturday and the seller could not wait, so now I am forced to begin the car search anew. I found another car that I like (almost as much) but it is lacking I-Drive. It still has Logic 7, Bluetooth, and comfort access, all of which I would really prefer to have. I prefer the appearance of the interior with I-Drive however other than looks I am not familiar with the features I-Drive provides.

My questions are these:

- What is the full list of features included with the 2007 I-Drive System?
- In reading, it seems that these may be prone to a higher rate of failure. Is this correct?
- For those of you with I-Drive, would you recommend waiting until I find another car with I-Drive or is it an unnecessary option?
Appreciate 0
      07-26-2010, 02:14 PM   #2
kgb1637
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: RS5

When I started looking I listed iDrive as something I didn't need, however once I saw how well it truly worked with ipod, Nav, general options of the car, and everything else, I was sold on it. My personal opinion would be to wait and find one with it, but go and see for yourself and compare. Also, there was an update on the '09's moving forward, but if you're looking at an '07 or '08 then it will have the old version which I have and love even though the newer version is much improved.
      07-26-2010, 02:19 PM   #3
alex2364
Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2020 M4 ZCP / 2023 X3 M40i

Garage List
2020 BMW M4  [10.00]
2023 BMW X3 M40i  [10.00]
I wouldn't get one without it. I have it on mine and would never to get another BMW without it.
Appreciate 0
      07-26-2010, 02:39 PM   #4
GaryS
Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2009 135i 6MT

Garage List
2009 135i  [6.50]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dozer281 View Post
I have been doing my research and have determined that the 2007 335i is the car for me.
Sorry OT, but I see you live in Houston. Better make sure the 07 you buy has an oil cooler.
Appreciate 0
      07-26-2010, 02:46 PM   #5
SmoothStyle1
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 340i, 6MT

Quote:
Ok, so I am not yet a BMW owner however I have been doing my research and have determined that the 2007 335i is the car for me. Sadly, the car which I was going to purchase sold to another buyer since I busy Saturday and the seller could not wait, so now I am forced to begin the car search anew. I found another car that I like (almost as much) but it is lacking I-Drive. It still has Logic 7, Bluetooth, and comfort access, all of which I would really prefer to have. I prefer the appearance of the interior with I-Drive however other than looks I am not familiar with the features I-Drive provides.

My questions are these:

- What is the full list of features included with the 2007 I-Drive System?
- In reading, it seems that these may be prone to a higher rate of failure. Is this correct?
- For those of you with I-Drive, would you recommend waiting until I find another car with I-Drive or is it an unnecessary option?
I love the iDrive and wouldn't own a BMW without it. The iPod, satellite radio and address book (thru Bluetooth) features alone are worth it. That said, if you can afford (or wait) to get a LCI version then do it. The iDrive is exponentially better in 2009+ models.
Appreciate 0
      07-26-2010, 04:19 PM   #6
Dozer281
Private
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by GaryS View Post
Sorry OT, but I see you live in Houston. Better make sure the 07 you buy has an oil cooler.
I will have to look into the oil cooler, I have seen it mentioned here and there but have not done any in depth research. What are the benefits, besides the obvious?

In regards to all other posts, I kind of figured the replies would lean toward I-Drive. This only makes the recent 'loss' even more upsetting. She was a beauty too, 2007 Space Grey e92 with Red Leather and a 6-speed manual...what a shame I was unable to get it.

Does anyone have a link to the full feature list of the 2007/2008 I-Drive system? My current budget wont allow for a 2009 unless I opt not to mod the car, which is just silly. With all the aftermarket goodies available I would rather have a customized/modded 2007 than a stock 2009.
Appreciate 0
      07-26-2010, 04:42 PM   #7
GTiceman
Parrothead
Rep
Drives: E90 M3

Garage List
2020 BMW X3 M40i   [0.00]
2009 BMW M3  [0.00]
Dozer I was in a similar situtation as yourself ... I however am going to be retrofitting an iDrive into my 2007 e92. I was going back and forth between the old, CCC, and the new, CIC, system. the new system is a smoother interface better integration with a rear camera and pdc. There are additional features if you pay additional yearly fees as well. The new system also uses a higher definition screen and displays street name sin perspective view, which apparently the old system did not.

Many who don't have iDrive blame not getting it on the clunky old interface, which I myself never had a problem with. there is a learning curve to the old system. In addition the old system uses DVDs for navigation whereas the new system uses a Hard Drive. This is both good and bad as it loads faster, but now requires you to go to BMW to get map updates versus just downloading torrents from the web.

There are many other differences I believe, besides the control knob as well. Others should be able to give you some insight, or better yet go to a dealer and play around with the systems as they most likely have a vehicle there that has the old one and plenty with the new one, just try and stay in the e9x because the system does change slightly depending on the model.

I am still torn for the retrofit. I want the new system but the cost between old and new is approximately a $1500 difference. I hope this helps. also, take a look around this sub-forum as there are a large amount of discussions about the benefits of the old versus new system and many discuss feature sets.
See Garage for Mods
Appreciate 0
      07-26-2010, 10:14 PM   #8
Dozer281
Private
Rep

GTiceman, thanks for the great info, it is much appreciated. I was discussing this with a friend of mine and we started toying with the idea of installing a complete aftermarket Nav unit with camera functions. I am sure the cost for aftermarket is far less than BMW OEM parts. I hope to be able to find a car already equipped with I-drive but like knowing that there are options...just in case.

Good luck on your retrofit should you choose to tackle such a big task...props to you if you do. I will have to keep an eye out on the forum.
Appreciate 0
      07-27-2010, 08:19 AM   #9
SmoothStyle1
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Quote:
My current budget wont allow for a 2009 unless I opt not to mod the car, which is just silly. With all the aftermarket goodies available I would rather have a customized/modded 2007 than a stock 2009.
Bad choice, IMO.

A stock 2009 with iDrive > Modded 2007.
Appreciate 0
      07-27-2010, 08:23 AM   #10
GTiceman
Parrothead
Rep
Drives: E90 M3

Garage List
2020 BMW X3 M40i   [0.00]
2009 BMW M3  [0.00]
Quote:
GTiceman, thanks for the great info, it is much appreciated. I was discussing this with a friend of mine and we started toying with the idea of installing a complete aftermarket Nav unit with camera functions. I am sure the cost for aftermarket is far less than BMW OEM parts. I hope to be able to find a car already equipped with I-drive but like knowing that there are options...just in case.

Good luck on your retrofit should you choose to tackle such a big task...props to you if you do. I will have to keep an eye out on the forum.
Thanks Dozer ... the cost would be much cheaper of aftermarket versus CIC but not so much so if I went CCC. Some have done the retrofit in the past it seems of both systems. I have done many aftermarket navigation installs in various cars and from what I have seen I don't really like the placement of the aftermarket units in the 3 series.

Quote:
Originally Posted by SmoothStyle1 View Post
Bad choice, IMO.

I would have to agree with that. Modding could always come later if you want. Get the car you want first.
See Garage for Mods
Appreciate 0
      07-27-2010, 09:21 AM   #11
Dozer281
Private
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by SmoothStyle1 View Post
Bad choice, IMO.

Seeing that this is the general consensus, I may have to rethink my strategy and do a little more research on the difference between year models before I make a decision. Regardless of which I choose, I am sure that I will enjoy the one I end up with.

On a side note, I have to say that this seems to be one of the more helpful forums which I have been a part of. Coming from My350Z.com where most people just like to post negative responses for no other reason than they can, its nice to be able to have positive input. Thanks all for your help.
Appreciate 0
      07-27-2010, 09:37 AM   #12
ZombiE90
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: 335d

Garage List
2011 BMW 335d  [0.00]
Dozer, I see you have an F-150. What year is it? I'm in Houston also and just sold my '02 F-150 and got into a CPO'd Jet Black '07 335 coupe back in April... just kinda funny. It's fully loaded w/ iDrive, comfort access, sport, the works... although it's a 6AT.

I'd agree with everyone else in saying that the nav is a must-have in the car. Even if the functionality takes a bit of getting used to (2-3 days, max), it's definitely worth it. The entire look of the car changes, and IMO it's so much cleaner.

My advice... take your time and wait to find another one that has every option you want. Don't find yourself regretting your $30K+ decision later. Also, if you go into any of the area BMW dealerships, they should have a system called OVE (online vehicle exchange). It links all of the US-based BMW dealerships together into one inventory basis, and they can ship you a car within a week. You have to put down a $500 deposit to get the car shipped, but if there's anything unsatisfactory about the car... you get your money back no questions asked. If you decide to buy it, the $500 goes toward the down payment. (I went thru this process...)

Good luck!

Current: 2011 335d | M-Sport | Mostly Stock
RIP: 2007 E92 335i | Dinan Stage 2
Appreciate 0
      07-27-2010, 09:40 AM   #13
ZombiE90
Private First Class
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2011 BMW 335d  [0.00]
And I'll add that the older CCC iDrive is honestly easy to operate, and I love the fact that you can download and burn new iDrive DVD's from the internet. I'm running the latest 2010 disc now, and I didn't pay a dime. Good luck doing THAT CICers!

Appreciate 0
      07-27-2010, 11:00 AM   #14
Dozer281
Private
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by ZombiE92 View Post
Dozer, I see you have an F-150. What year is it? I'm in Houston also and just sold my '02 F-150 and got into a CPO'd Jet Black '07 335 coupe back in April... just kinda funny. It's fully loaded w/ iDrive, comfort access, sport, the works... although it's a 6AT.

I'd agree with everyone else in saying that the nav is a must-have in the car. Even if the functionality takes a bit of getting used to (2-3 days, max), it's definitely worth it. The entire look of the car changes, and IMO it's so much cleaner.

My advice... take your time and wait to find another one that has every option you want. Don't find yourself regretting your $30K+ decision later. Also, if you go into any of the area BMW dealerships, they should have a system called OVE (online vehicle exchange). It links all of the US-based BMW dealerships together into one inventory basis, and they can ship you a car within a week. You have to put down a $500 deposit to get the car shipped, but if there's anything unsatisfactory about the car... you get your money back no questions asked. If you decide to buy it, the $500 goes toward the down payment. (I went thru this process...)

Good luck!
Lol, I have a 97 F-150. Got stuck with it after my Z flooded and my ex-fiancé took off with the Mercedes. It sucks but at least no car payments = faster saving for the E9x of my dreams. I agree that a case of buyers’ remorse is the last thing I want at this point in the game which is the reason I would prefer to have as much first hand advice as I can possibly get. I agree completely that the dash changes to include the I-Drive changes the look of the car entirely.

Being that the F-150 is the first and only automatic tranny that I have ever owned, I am dying to get back into a manual which has me leaning more towards the coupe vs. the sedan. I have not yet test driven a coupe but from what I have read the difference between the E90 and the E92 is pretty significant. I was not aware of the OVE however now that I am I will definitely have to visit Momentum BMW to have a look. Thanks for the advice.
Appreciate 0
      07-27-2010, 02:44 PM   #15
vettegator005
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: C5 corvette 424rwhp

Id say get a 2007 mod the shit out of it before i got a 09 and had to drive it stock while saving up for mods
Appreciate 0
      07-27-2010, 03:11 PM   #16
ZombiE90
Private First Class
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2011 BMW 335d  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by vettegator005 View Post
Id say get a 2007 mod the shit out of it before i got a 09 and had to drive it stock while saving up for mods
I kinda agree here too. Obviously... I got the '07 CPO and am working on the mods as we speak. There are plenty of them out there, and many with < 30K miles. The 6MT are much more rare, however, especially in the E92 coupe.

I've dealt w/ Momentum and Momentum West, but I'd have to say BMW of Houston North (1960 & 45) is the best as far as the service dept. goes. Can't speak for sales since I got my car in College Station. Hope this helps too...

Appreciate 0
      07-27-2010, 03:34 PM   #17
SmoothStyle1
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Is the 300 HP/300lb ft twin turbo engine, standard sports suspension and pretty much being faster than 98% of all vehicles on the road not good enough for you guys?
Appreciate 0
      07-27-2010, 04:00 PM   #18
Dozer281
Private
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by ZombiE92 View Post
I kinda agree here too. Obviously... I got the '07 CPO and am working on the mods as we speak. There are plenty of them out there, and many with < 30K miles. The 6MT are much more rare, however, especially in the E92 coupe.

I've dealt w/ Momentum and Momentum West, but I'd have to say BMW of Houston North (1960 & 45) is the best as far as the service dept. goes. Can't speak for sales since I got my car in College Station. Hope this helps too...

That was my initial plan. I wanted to buy a 2007 with the basic options I wanted and immediately get a new set of wheels, mtech front bumper (nice), ECU, possibly an exhaust, black kidney grills and coil-overs. The cost for these mods if relatively close to the price difference between the year models so I have to do some more research now. Some on the other members tend to think that it may be wiser to pick up an '09 though. How do you like your 2007?

Thanks for the input on local dealerships, it’s nice to have other local guys chime in. Are there any meets locally where I could see some of your rides in person? I would really like to see what some of you guys have done to your cars. I like seeing the difference in personal preference, that’s what makes each car our own after all.
Appreciate 0
      07-28-2010, 07:12 AM   #19
listerone
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2018 BMW 540d

My understanding is that the pre-2009 iDrive was a disaster but mine is outstanding.I can't see owning a BMW without one.Of course they're not cheap but what is today?
Formerly: 2009 335d
Appreciate 0
      07-28-2010, 07:37 AM   #20
bigdog34uz
Major
Rep
Drives: 2007 e90 335i

Garage List
Go Idrive definately worth the wait!!!!
Appreciate 0
      07-28-2010, 08:55 AM   #21
SmoothStyle1
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by listerone View Post
My understanding is that the pre-2009 iDrive was a disaster but mine is outstanding.I can't see owning a BMW without one.Of course they're not cheap but what is today?
I wouldn't quite call the pre-LCI iDrive a "disaster," rather the LCI version is just exponentially better.
Appreciate 0
      07-28-2010, 11:51 AM   #22
ZombiE90
Private First Class
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2011 BMW 335d  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by listerone View Post
i haven't had any problems or issues w/ my '07 iDrive. granted i haven't had the opportunity to sit and play w/ the newer version, but i'm fine with it as it is.

i don't really know of any local meets or anything, but there is a houston thread on this forum in the southwest region. i'm sure they've set one up before...?

Appreciate 0