F30POST
F30POST
2012-2015 BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum (F30 / F32) | F30POST > 2012-2019 BMW 3 and 4-Series Forums > General F30 Sedan / F32 Coupe / F36 Gran Coupe Forum > Ambient Lighting
Studio RSR

04-05-2020, 10:43 PM   #45
Pauloxxi
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2014-320Xi / 2017-330Xi

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by greyf36 View Post
yeah but because they are 3d printed you can't think of them as ordinary plastic....

plastic if produced by injection molding method they are really cheap

but 3D print is alot more expensive to produce....one of the 3D print technology
will do it bit by bit so it'd probably take a whole day to print all 4 stripes

another printing method has to use very expensive equipment so they need to charge more for the products to cover the cost of the machines...

i myself paid $60 for another guy in Chicago to do mine, it's definitely expensive but its quite worth the money
I also bought the one from the person in Chicago. It doesn't seems to be 3D printed plastic. I assume the seller decided to invest in a injection molding tool, and is trying to recoup the investment. It is expensive for a small piece of plastic, however I must admit it improves a lot the light.
Appreciate 0
      10-05-2020, 10:24 AM   #46
Rasco
Private First Class
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: F36 440i GC

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pauloxxi View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by greyf36 View Post
yeah but because they are 3d printed you can't think of them as ordinary plastic....

plastic if produced by injection molding method they are really cheap

but 3D print is alot more expensive to produce....one of the 3D print technology
will do it bit by bit so it'd probably take a whole day to print all 4 stripes

another printing method has to use very expensive equipment so they need to charge more for the products to cover the cost of the machines...

i myself paid $60 for another guy in Chicago to do mine, it's definitely expensive but its quite worth the money
I also bought the one from the person in Chicago. It doesn't seems to be 3D printed plastic. I assume the seller decided to invest in a injection molding tool, and is trying to recoup the investment. It is expensive for a small piece of plastic, however I must admit it improves a lot the light.
So I'm guessing the ambient lighting is now standard on the LCI Models right? Mine is a 2019 model coming at the end of this month so just checking.
      09-14-2023, 11:48 AM   #47
L50RDN
Registered
Rep
Drives: BMW 435d

Hi there I know this is an old thread. Hoping someone can help me, apologies if this is a daft question. I have just recently picked up a f32 4 series and it has the ambient lighting. The last few nights with the darker nights it has been on. The lighting around the radio and heating controls seems to warm up quite a lot and is warm to touch around that area and the area below. Is this normal or should I get it back to the garage? Thanks in advance.
Appreciate 0
      09-14-2023, 01:50 PM   #48
eff32fl
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2019 440i M Sport THP MPPSK

Quote:
Originally Posted by L50RDN View Post
Hi there I know this is an old thread. Hoping someone can help me, apologies if this is a daft question. I have just recently picked up a f32 4 series and it has the ambient lighting. The last few nights with the darker nights it has been on. The lighting around the radio and heating controls seems to warm up quite a lot and is warm to touch around that area and the area below. Is this normal or should I get it back to the garage? Thanks in advance.
My AC control area is a bit warm but not hot. Seems normal to me unless it's very hot to the touch.
Appreciate 0
      09-14-2023, 01:56 PM   #49
L50RDN
Registered
Rep

Hi there. Thanks. Gives me a bit of peace of mind. Just never expected it to be warm. You can place your hand on it and leave it there so it's not roasting just noticeably warm. I suppose with the lights being attached to the back of the plastic trim and being quite close with only a small gap then they are probably going to warm up. Appreciate your reply. Thanks
Appreciate 0
      09-14-2023, 01:56 PM   #50
thatgarrett
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2012 335i Sport

Garage List
2012 BMW 335i  [8.60]
You have your head unit/computer sitting right behind those controls, likely it is the heat given off by that you are feeling- similar to a laptop that is working hard or an old desktop computer
Appreciate 0
      09-14-2023, 02:08 PM   #51
L50RDN
Registered
Rep

It's the same set up as this. It is warm just at the bottom of the light along the bottom and on the part just below that. Hope that makes sense. Yeah, I would say probably the same sort of heat from a laptop. Thanks
Attached Images

Last edited by L50RDN; 09-14-2023 at 02:12 PM.. Reason: More info
Appreciate 0
      04-12-2024, 08:45 AM   #52
debimmer
Registered
Rep
Drives: BMW 328

Exclamation Seeking Advice: Adding Ambient Light Strips to BMW F30 Dash

Hello fellow BMW enthusiasts,

I'm looking to enhance the ambiance of my 2016 BMW F30 by adding ambient light strips around the dash. My goal is to tap into the existing ambient light system so that the retrofit lights come on whenever the original ambient lights are activated.

I've identified a connector (1355600-4) in the central console with a white/red and brown wire. My plan is to tap my ambient lights into these wires, but I want to ensure it's the correct approach for syncing them with the factory lights.

Any advice or guidance on whether these wires are suitable for tapping into the ambient light system would be greatly appreciated! Feel free to share your experiences or suggestions.

Thank you in advance for your help!
Appreciate 0
      04-16-2024, 12:36 PM   #53
Alek Melkonian
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: f30 and f15

Garage List
For everyone wanting to enhance their ambient lighting, there is a company called Benzinfabrik. They sell led modules for each door card that are much much brighter. They have the factory orange and white, but they also have other colors for your desire. I added the image of what I ordered for my bmw f30.
Attached Images

Appreciate 0