E90Post

Coby Wheel

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90 / E92 / E93 3-series Technical Forums > BMW Coding > High beam: Halogen to Xenon

09-26-2014, 07:13 AM   #1
fdswin
Registered
Sweden
Rep
Drives: 320d -06

High beam: Halogen to Xenon

Hi

I'm currently running xenon hid's with built in can-bus canceler and an external canceler. (Got this tip from a reseller who had same model and year as I do)
My biggest problem with this setup is that sometimes the left light won't turn on, and when it do the right one might not want to start up. If I'm lucky both of them will fire right up without a problem untill i turn them off, then none of them will work.
There's no problem when I run with halogens, that just works, xenon doesn't.
Since I'm living up north in Sweden I sometimes have to drive 100's of kilometers in pitch black and I wan't as much light on the road as possible.

I'm after a simple DIY in how to get this working properly. I already got a laptop installed with the software needed using http://www.e90post.com/forums/showthread.php?t=859474

I'm running a 320D from 06 (dealership said 07 since it was built 06-09) with halogen in low and high beams.
I tried coding out hot and cold bulb check yesterday and uploaded the modded fsw_psw.man file to the car but the changes doesn't seem to stick.
Don't know if I'm doing it wrong or using wrong profiles, using expertenmodus (werkseinstellung). All other guides uses Revtors or just expertmode.
My goal is is to use relays pluged into the high beam wires and use 12V to power the ballasts, mostly because I got other plans further ahead that requires relays.
I would really appreciate if some kind soul could help me with this task.

Best regards Fredrik
Appreciate 0
      09-26-2014, 09:16 AM   #2
Kenti
Private First Class
Norway
Rep
Drives: E90 06 320D

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by fdswin View Post
Hi

I'm currently running xenon hid's with built in can-bus canceler and an external canceler. (Got this tip from a reseller who had same model and year as I do)
My biggest problem with this setup is that sometimes the left light won't turn on, and when it do the right one might not want to start up. If I'm lucky both of them will fire right up without a problem untill i turn them off, then none of them will work.
There's no problem when I run with halogens, that just works, xenon doesn't.
Since I'm living up north in Sweden I sometimes have to drive 100's of kilometers in pitch black and I wan't as much light on the road as possible.

I'm after a simple DIY in how to get this working properly. I already got a laptop installed with the software needed using http://www.e90post.com/forums/showthread.php?t=859474

I'm running a 320D from 06 (dealership said 07 since it was built 06-09) with halogen in low and high beams.
I tried coding out hot and cold bulb check yesterday and uploaded the modded fsw_psw.man file to the car but the changes doesn't seem to stick.
Don't know if I'm doing it wrong or using wrong profiles, using expertenmodus (werkseinstellung). All other guides uses Revtors or just expertmode.
My goal is is to use relays pluged into the high beam wires and use 12V to power the ballasts, mostly because I got other plans further ahead that requires relays.
I would really appreciate if some kind soul could help me with this task.

Best regards Fredrik
I also had this problem with the hid kit for my foglight, coding out all the checks didn`t work. ended up testing 3 sets of ballasts until I finally found one working. My car is original Xenon though. But especially our cars are extremely picky on the current thats being drawn. Not sure how the Relays will work, probably with errors .. allthough I still don`t understand why the LEDs I tried first worked without problems, while the hids get problems..
Appreciate 0
      09-26-2014, 02:41 PM   #3
gte460z
Private
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2008 328xi

I have this exact same problem with my Morimoto 3five ballasts. Every once and a while the left ballast will not ignite the bulb. I switched to XenonDepot Xtreme ballasts a couple of days ago and so far no issues. So I agree with Kenti, try another type of ballast.
      10-03-2014, 09:51 AM   #4
Josth
Registered
Rep
Drives: 330xd DPF *gone*

Same here!

I ran with my xenon kit installed for too ling it seems.
Now there is a fault code stored in the FRM.

I tried clearing the Error Memory (F2) in INPA. But the fault code is still stored in the FRM.... Any tips on how to clear this stored error code?

Actually there are two codes: 9CB9 and 9CBC
One is for the high beam and one is for R/H angel eye that was shorted by water in the filament socket.

All help with clearing these codes is appreciated!
Appreciate 0