F30POST
F30POST
2012-2015 BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum (F30 / F32) | F30POST > Technical Forums > Suspension | Chassis | Brakes > Need help figuring out brakes for my F30 335i
Extreme Powerhouse

04-08-2024, 08:25 PM   #1
JakeFulmer1
Registered
Rep
Drives: 2014 BMW 335i Xdrive M sport D

Hi everyone,

This is my first post on the app, happy to finally be a part of the family!

I bought a 2014 335i xdrive m-sport Dinan Stage 4 last year and I need new front brake pads… I got replacements last year but bmw charged me $1800 for the front pads and rotors plus labor. However, this time it only is asking for new pads. I am not taking it back to BMW dealership, I will either do it myself or find a local shop.

I am looking for guidance on what brake pads to use. I’ve seen plenty of positive remarks toward akebono and powerstop. I don’t want ceramic cuz of long heat up or OEM due to sticky dust. Just looking for some advice… I have drilled/slotted rotors as well. If you need more info of car or have questions to get a better understanding please ask!

Thanks again
Appreciate 0
      04-08-2024, 09:54 PM   #2
Mkesler75
Private
Rep
Drives: BMW f34

Akebono are decent and very low dust. $1600 is crazy! Assuming you can take a wheel off and knock out a few pins, the front pads are super easy. May want to look into a fluid flush if it’s not been done.
Appreciate 0
      04-08-2024, 10:12 PM   #3
JakeFulmer1
Registered
Rep
Drives: 2014 BMW 335i Xdrive M sport D

I have a brake fluid warning so I’m gonna flush and bleed it. Should I do that before replacing pads? Or after? Does it matter? And yes I have the brembo set up. So I watch a Joe’s Motorsport and FCP euro video. I have most tools due to family working on their own. Next is engine oil. But I love getting into this.
Appreciate 0
      04-08-2024, 10:59 PM   #4
chowser51
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: F33 430 and F39 M35i

Garage List
If you have help, just bleed the brakes after you change the pads.

My kids weren't interested at the time so I bought a Motiv bleed kit and do the brake fluid myself.

$1600 is crazy.

I had hurt my back awhile back and my car needed rear pads and rotors.
Dealership had to order them in because no one local had the M brakes.
They wanted $560 to do the rear pads, rotors and sensor. I said fine, get it done.

I didn't even ask what the fronts were when they came due. I bought Ferodo pads from FCP for $70. Took less than an hour to swap them out. I forgot what the sensor wire was, $11?
Appreciate 0