F30POST
F30POST
2012-2015 BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum (F30 / F32) | F30POST > BIMMERPOST Universal Forums > General BMW News and Cars Discussion > Valvetronic issues
Studio RSR

08-24-2021, 12:54 PM   #1
Faisel28
United_States
Rep
Drives: 09 bmw 328i

Valvetronic issues

Hello i have a no start issue. Car seems like its starting then dying out and cranking again. The only code i can see that could cause this issue could be my valvetronic sensor? is there anyway in inpa or ista D that i could test this sensor/ motor and confirm this is my issue?
Appreciate 0
      08-24-2021, 01:19 PM   #2
mapleleaf1773
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2011 BMW 328i XDrive

Garage List
Keep the posts together, it makes it easier for people to help you (do not multi-post on the same issue). What car do you have, miles will help too. Not to guess codes you may have, but what are the specific codes you have?

Anyone is just spit balling in trying to help at this point with no concrete information from your send. I mean it could be bad gas for all we know.
Appreciate 1
      08-24-2021, 01:28 PM   #3
Faisel28
United_States
Rep

09 328i n51 sulev 128000 miles code im getting said valvetronic motor binding or open circuit cranks strong almost sounds like it's starting and shutting off is there anyway to test this sensor in INPA OR ISTA D
Appreciate 0
      08-24-2021, 01:39 PM   #4
Faisel28
United_States
Rep

Code in question is 2A38 only code i see that could cause my issues now.

Cas module is good no codes.

I have a bsd fault but im 100% sure my waterpump is issue there it will not run at all or bleed.

I caused a huge arc and caused a no crank issue i replaced dme,cas,bst, fuses on top battery & nuetral saftey switch these resolved the no crank issue and majority of codes i had.

Iam new to inpa & ista D i have a bmw scanner as well as carly that ive been using for diagnostics.

I beileve the eccentric sensor is my issue but i would like to know 100% before spending more money on something that wont be it so is there a known method to test this sensor and or the valvetronic motor
Appreciate 0
      08-24-2021, 02:19 PM   #5
mapleleaf1773
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Garage List
You can unplug the valvetronic motor and let the throttle body do the work instead. That opens the valves to maximum.

Maybe someone can verify that before you try that though.

That may let you diagnose the motor/no motor scenario. I know you definitely don't want want the car on when you do this. Put the key away lol.

Make sure others verify this before you try it, just my 2 cents.

Do you/or did you have vanos codes by chance? I do not know if there is a way to test it in diagnostics. I have the protools app and I've not had to go down that rabbit hole

Yet...

Last edited by mapleleaf1773; 08-24-2021 at 02:32 PM..
Appreciate 1
      08-24-2021, 02:50 PM   #6
Faisel28
United_States
Rep

I seen a post about turning the hex on the actual motor to open valves all the way and then to unplug the eccentric shaft sensor essentially bypassing it but as well i wanted to confirm that before i go breaking something lol

No vanos codes only codes currently present on dme is the 1 for valvetronic and then another for BSD communication but I believe that is due to my faulty water pump

Ive checked all battery connections, all fuses, unplugged IBS, attempted jumpstart using post under hood with no avail even unplugged the maf to see if that could cause my issue i do have a smoke detector to test for leaks mabey i should try that? Possible big enough leak causing it to die out mabey?

as stated to me from what i hear and can tell its cranking very strong fires up for like a second and dies goes back to cranking and repeat i see the rpms jump up and then die out
Appreciate 0
      08-24-2021, 02:54 PM   #7
mapleleaf1773
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Garage List
Hhhmmmn, that is odd. I'd wait to try the valvetronic unplugging till others confirm but I think thats a step you can take.

If not that ever think it could be fuel pump related? I know there are no hpfp codes but never know. Trying to think outside of what your thinking. Does the fuel pump prime? Others here are very knowledgeable about the fuel pumps in our cars.
Appreciate 0
      08-24-2021, 03:01 PM   #8
Faisel28
United_States
Rep

Yes i agree i would like to see others chime on there experience with that just to confirm

And yes i do hear fuel pump prime and to confirm fuel pressure i relieved pressure from the rail through the service port and had my wife attempt start and had great pressure during crank

Also i do smell the fuel after multiple attempts to start i stop after a few goes not wanting to flood the plugs or wanting to strain the starter too much
Appreciate 0
      08-24-2021, 03:04 PM   #9
mapleleaf1773
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Garage List
Good deal...sorry to respond so much. I'm waiting to see my doctor for a 6 month check up and he's over an hour behind.

Good luck brother
Appreciate 1
      08-24-2021, 03:09 PM   #10
Faisel28
United_States
Rep

Not a worry any help is greatly appreciated thanks alot! Once i can figure this out i will post results and success
Appreciate 0
      08-25-2021, 05:22 PM   #11
Faisel28
United_States
Rep

Fairly certain its either the eccentric motor or sensor.

Unplug ess attempted start same outcome

Plugged ess back in attempted start again and car fired up idle was very choppy and eventually died out (30 sec at most)

But confirms i have spark,fuel,air

No new codes same valvetronic and waterpump codes

Going to order new relays,ess,eccentric motor do everything at once to leave no stone unturned

Ista D shows valvetronic motor position at 19.00 degrees have to see what it should be at when starting

Attempted relearn of valvetronic and heard nothing (used ista D)
Appreciate 0
      08-25-2021, 06:46 PM   #12
mapleleaf1773
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by Faisel28 View Post
Fairly certain its either the eccentric motor or sensor.

Unplug ess attempted start same outcome

Plugged ess back in attempted start again and car fired up idle was very choppy and eventually died out (30 sec at most)

But confirms i have spark,fuel,air

No new codes same valvetronic and waterpump codes

Going to order new relays,ess,eccentric motor do everything at once to leave no stone unturned

Ista D shows valvetronic motor position at 19.00 degrees have to see what it should be at when starting

Attempted relearn of valvetronic and heard nothing (used ista D)

New valve cover gasket, eccentric shaft motor gasket and valvetronic motor gaskets too. Careful taking the plastic valve cover off. Its plastic and can crack. Unfortunately its usually best to replace the valve cover (plastic one not the metal one) too since that can happen. I'm sure you know all this, you seem mechanically inclined.

Valvetronic motor relearn is easy by just doing it the manual way too, but the software works as well. Good luck man...That little ESS is freaking expensive for whatchya get huh.
Appreciate 0
      08-26-2021, 11:44 AM   #13
Faisel28
United_States
Rep

Unfortunately i just bought a new valve cover and performed this job before i was put in this predicament

I left the overhead ground strap (by the spark plug) undone caused a arch shut vehicle down and its been a joyride since

Will definitely not make the same mistake twice

Sucks to perform a job 2x back to back but whatever it takes!

And yes that little sensor can cost quite a bit i got lucky and found a reputable yard online that has a siemens with low miles i got for a pretty low price 60$
Appreciate 0
      08-30-2021, 01:48 PM   #14
Faisel28
United_States
Rep

Update

So playing with ista D i reset my valvetronic an am able to start car with no problems now i removed valvetronic motor and put back and reset worked

But now one code from my egs is concerning me and ista is recommending mechatronic swap the code in question is 5726-egs states layer 3 error

Could the short of caused my mechatronic to fry?

It is by the saftey switch?

Before all this trouble car started and ran fine other then a few oil leaks

If mechatronic needs replacement is it as simple as getting a virgin mechatronic and installing or will it need to be coded as well?
Appreciate 0