2010 2011 BMW 5 Series Forum F10
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

2010 2011 BMW 5 Series Forum F10 F10 Technical Topics Engine, Transmission, Exhaust, Drivetrain, ECU Software Modifications Hartge trip and ECU install on F10 550i

02-28-2012, 12:16 PM   #23
CPWINCH
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: Toyota Prius

Quote:
Originally Posted by alextremo View Post
Then it would be a driver's race I would think, at least until you get your meth kit installed
Yeah, knowing dinan tho this tune will probably be a lot stronger. If they had all the timing things on this car why couldn't they test a qtr mile
      02-28-2012, 12:34 PM   #24
alextremo
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: F10 550i

Quote:
Originally Posted by CPWINCH View Post
Yeah, knowing dinan tho this tune will probably be a lot stronger. If they had all the timing things on this car why couldn't they test a qtr mile
The Hartge power numbers from their marketing are lower, but who knows since they're both at the crank and likely have different testing methods.

I don't think the qtr mile is as big in Europe as it is here in the States. Also, the testing they did from 50 - 110 is a lot more repeatable and takes out some variables like traction, launch, etc. I agree it would be nice to see a better comparo.
Appreciate 0
      02-28-2012, 01:48 PM   #25
datbimmerdoe
Lieutenant General
United_States
Rep
Drives: like I'M BOUT THAT LIFE

impressive gains, enjoy!

FOLLOW @datbimmerdoe on INSTAGRAM
Appreciate 0
      02-28-2012, 02:29 PM   #26
Redcapote
Private
Rep
Drives: N/A

Generally speaking, what is the purchase price for one of these ECU's for the 5-series? Ballpark figure is fine. Thank you.
Appreciate 0
      02-29-2012, 05:02 AM   #27
vladberca
Major General
Romania
Rep
Drives: '18 octavia 2.0 tdi dsg

Impressive gains!
Appreciate 0
      03-05-2012, 05:42 AM   #28
delvek
Major
Germany
Rep
Drives: 2014 550i Msport

Thanks for all your comments, apologies for slow response!

Quote:
Originally Posted by CPWINCH View Post
Main reason was that it was like 34-36F and I had summer performance tires. Conditions weren't very good. Have been speaking with Hartge and I am going to drive back in the late spring and do a full set of runs with video, once I get them I will definitely post them for the forum.

Thanks again for everyone's help and feedback on and off the forums.
      06-29-2012, 08:06 PM   #29
Maxx2
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 18 X5M

Quote:
Originally Posted by delvek View Post
Thanks for all your comments, apologies for slow response!

Main reason was that it was like 34-36F and I had summer performance tires. Conditions weren't very good. Have been speaking with Hartge and I am going to drive back in the late spring and do a full set of runs with video, once I get them I will definitely post them for the forum.

Thanks again for everyone's help and feedback on and off the forums.
Now that you've had this tune for quite some time can you post your overall impressions until now? If you had to do it again today, would you still go with the Hartge module?

This module is now being offered in the USA (Turner Motorsports) and is an interesting alternative to the "flash" tunes already available. I noticed that Hartge has decreased the peak ratings to 481hp and 509ft-lbs. I'm not sure, but I guess it may have been tuned down a bit due to US fuel quality...

Can you provide any details regarding the driveability at low speeds? Does it feel completely stock (sluggish) when not driving aggressively? According to the Hartge documentation, the module only alters the engine's operating parameters when throttle is greater than 70%. Is there a noticeable "kick" when hitting the 70% throttle? If you were cruising at a constant speed on the highway and then applied full throttle (while in the same gear) what does it feel like?

Would really like to hear your thoughts on this module!!

Thanks.

Last edited by Maxx2; 06-29-2012 at 09:08 PM..
Appreciate 0
      07-01-2012, 12:20 PM   #30
SriRamJaiRam
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2015 BMW X5 i35d M-Sport

I am super interest to hear as well as I was considering a Dinan stage 3 tune but now see that the Hartge is being offered for sale in the US through Turner Motorsports.
Appreciate 0
      07-01-2012, 01:44 PM   #31
Stealth7
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: No BMWs Right Now!

Still waiting for Dinan sale here!
Appreciate 0
      07-01-2012, 08:25 PM   #32
Edman951
Second Lieutenant
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2014 i3, Capparis White

we need more feedback on this Hartge setup.
PLEASE.

The turn off for me is the 70% throttle to get it to kick in.
Appreciate 0
      07-06-2012, 07:07 PM   #33
Maxx2
First Lieutenant
Rep

delvek where are you??

Hartge Module is now on sale at Turner Motorsport $1749 (Reg $1949)!

We need more info on this from delvek...
Appreciate 0
      07-10-2012, 03:11 AM   #34
SriRamJaiRam
Private First Class
United_States
Rep

Just did Dinan stage 3 on my F10 550 m-tect. Very impressed! The car hauls the mail. I do have AR Design down pipes w/ 200 cel race cats (no CEL). The DP's really made some nice HP too. I went w/ Dinan cause I was tired of waiting for other tuners that kept saying the same thing month after month. And it's nice to have the Dinan peace of mind with the factory warranty too. You also have tech support here in the states unlike getting a tune from over seas.

And the 70% throttle concerned me too with Hartge.

btw- can someone tell me what they mean by adding "meth"? Thank you!
Appreciate 0
      07-10-2012, 05:30 AM   #35
alextremo
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: F10 550i

It means adding a methanol injection kit. Injecting methanol/water mixture into the intake will increase your effective octane, lower your intake air temperatures and allow you to run more boost and advance timing to make more power. Not really worth it unless you have a tune that can take advantage of it though, which we do not yet for the n63.

Any chance you will make it to the dyno soon? Interested to see results with Dinan and the ar dps.
Appreciate 0
      07-12-2012, 09:24 PM   #36
Maxx2
First Lieutenant
Rep

Very interesting thing I just noticed on the Turner Motorsport page...
The description of the Hartge module was changed for ALL engine platforms and now reads as follows:

"All of the factory safeguards remain in place, including overload protection, warm-up protocols, and the engine tuning is unchanged below 1500 rpm to preserve all factory driveability"

That section used to read, "below 70% throttle"

I am very curious to know whether it was revised due to error or it was revised to make it more appealing. Many of us already had commented on the possible on/off nature of a tune that only works after 70% throttle and the undesireable characteristics that may present.

I am going to contact Turner and will ask for more information...

Last edited by Maxx2; 07-12-2012 at 09:30 PM..
Appreciate 0
      07-12-2012, 11:58 PM   #37
SriRamJaiRam
Private First Class
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by alextremo
It means adding a methanol injection kit. Injecting methanol/water mixture into the intake will increase your effective octane, lower your intake air temperatures and allow you to run more boost and advance timing to make more power. Not really worth it unless you have a tune that can take advantage of it though, which we do not yet for the n63.

Any chance you will make it to the dyno soon? Interested to see results with Dinan and the ar dps.
Not sure where to find a dyno near me. I'll ask around.
Appreciate 0
      07-17-2012, 08:00 PM   #38
Maxx2
First Lieutenant
Rep

Update

Not sure if anyone is really interested in this Hartge module or not, but just figured I would post an update regarding my email to Turner.

Just heard back today regarding the revised product description and this is what they had to say:

"The first version of our description was directly copied from Hartge. The “below 70% Throttle” only applied to the diesel engines in Europe and not to US spec gasoline cars."

Unfortunately, there is no way to confirm if this new description is accurate. I did request more information from them so we'll see what they say. If it is accurate, however, then this becomes much more appealing and less of an on/off tune for redline only runs.

It sure would be great if delvek could chime in here....
Appreciate 0
      07-18-2012, 02:09 AM   #39
Stealth7
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: No BMWs Right Now!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maxx2 View Post
Not sure if anyone is really interested in this Hartge module or not, but just figured I would post an update regarding my email to Turner.

Just heard back today regarding the revised product description and this is what they had to say:

"The first version of our description was directly copied from Hartge. The “below 70% Throttle” only applied to the diesel engines in Europe and not to US spec gasoline cars."

Unfortunately, there is no way to confirm if this new description is accurate. I did request more information from them so we'll see what they say. If it is accurate, however, then this becomes much more appealing and less of an on/off tune for redline only runs.

It sure would be great if delvek could chime in here....
I am interested in this tune as well but need some more information--real world power and performance gains; reliability; etc.
Appreciate 0
      07-24-2013, 12:06 PM   #40
bobseltenrich
Enlisted Member
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2011 BMW 550i

Garage List
2011 BMW 550i  [0.00]
DELVEK's 550i

I purchased DELVEK's 550i a couple of months ago. I am having the Hartge chip reinstalled on 21 Aug. The car is quick now and I can't wait to feel the difference once the chip is back in. I will let you guys know how it goes.
Appreciate 0