E90Post

The Tire Rack

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90 / E92 / E93 3-series Technical Forums > AUDIO/VIDEO + BLUETOOTH + Electronics/Alarm/Software > Audio cuts out for a few seconds continuously after frequent use of 330i

01-05-2011, 06:52 AM   #1
fabregas-aus
Rep
Drives: BMW e90 330i

Audio cuts out for a few seconds continuously after frequent use of 330i

Hi all,

Posted this in another section but thought it might be more appropriate here.

I recently bought a 2005 e90 330i sedan.

The drive has been wonderful but there is one issue that is driving me a bit nuts. It happened for the first time about 2 weeks after purchasing the car, when I was on a drive out of the city (about a 2 hour drive, mostly at speed of 120kmph). The CD I was playing froze for 2-5 seconds (the timer on the idrive screen actually stops) and then would continue playing. From this point, it would continue to happen frequently (say every 30-120seconds) for the remainder of the drive.

From the next day onwards it was fine again for a few days, until I spent a large part of the day driving. It occurred again, and would continue to occur for the remainder of the drive/day.

It is still happening and seems to be occur after extended periods driving, and most commonly when taking off, accelerating or braking.

It happens to all audio - CD or Radio. It also seems to happen to the Nav... with the current location disappearing for a few seconds. It is like the entire idrive system is cutting out. When it cuts out... 9 times out of 10 it will cut out for 2-5 seconds, then come back on for 0-1 seconds, then cut out for 1 second again... before returning to normal.

It is also very hot weather at the moment where I live, in Perth - Australia. It seems to be a better on cooler days but I have no real proof of this.

Has this behaviour been observed before? It is a known issue? Any ideas what it could be?

Appreciate any responses.

Thanks
Appreciate 0
      01-05-2011, 11:52 AM   #2
scottp999
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: 4runner SR5

Garage List
2007 BMW 335  [9.00]
All kinds of weird things can happen when a battery is on it's way out. I had the radio volume outage issues when my battery became marginal. This is what I had posted in another thread on electronic issues from a battery that is on its way out:

Yes - I played around with a light weight battery in my car and after a year the thing started to be marginal at best:

1) Comfort Access would not work
2) Radio Volume would just shut off at random times
3) ABS warning lights would come on
4) Sunroof would sometimes open, sometimes get an error when you tried to open, and sometimes get stuck open. The error for the sunroof showed voltage issues.

Put the stock battery back in and all electronic issues are gone.
Appreciate 0
      01-05-2011, 06:02 PM   #3
fabregas-aus
Rep

The battery has not been changed, and I don't have any of those other symptoms.
Appreciate 0
      01-05-2011, 06:15 PM   #4
scottp999
Brigadier General
Rep

Garage List
2007 BMW 335  [9.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by fabregas-aus View Post
The battery has not been changed, and I don't have any of those other symptoms.
I would definitely suspect the battery if it is almost 6 years old. You don't need to have all the symptoms. I never had them all at once. It's was more like having a gremlin in the car that would choose what to disturb as it wanted.

Edit - I see you are in Perth. I have always wanted to go tour the Perth Mint.
Appreciate 0
      01-05-2011, 06:29 PM   #5
328i
Colonel
Rep
Drives: E46 ///M

Quote:
Originally Posted by scottp999 View Post
I would definitely suspect the battery if it is almost 6 years old. You don't need to have all the symptoms. I never had them all at once. It's was more like having a gremlin in the car that would choose what to disturb as it wanted.

Edit - I see you are in Perth. I have always wanted to go tour the Perth Mint.
A battery would likely cause more problems when it is cold outside, it seems as if his problem is worse when it's warmer. I had a similar thing happen to my e90 except it would make a loud popping noise when it did it. My car did not have i drive, however it could still be a faulty radio module as that likely controls the volume. Eventually my headunit just died completely.
      01-05-2011, 08:42 PM   #6
fabregas-aus
Rep

Well it doesn't seem to be a very common problem... at least in the way I've described it. I may just have to take it to the dealer for inspection.

scottp99 - The Perth Mint? And you're in the USA? I'm surprised you've even heard of it I actually work for Newmont Mining (gold) so we have a lot of dealings with the Mint... although I haven't made my way out there yet.
Appreciate 0
      01-06-2011, 08:02 AM   #7
scottp999
Brigadier General
Rep

Garage List
2007 BMW 335  [9.00]
Quote:
Well it doesn't seem to be a very common problem... at least in the way I've described it. I may just have to take it to the dealer for inspection.

scottp99 - The Perth Mint? And you're in the USA? I'm surprised you've even heard of it I actually work for Newmont Mining (gold) so we have a lot of dealings with the Mint... although I haven't made my way out there yet.
Yes - i'm in the USA. Perth mint makes some gorgeous products from the bullion Kangaroos, to the Chinese Lunar Sets. I once considered buying the year 2000 Dragon Gold Lunar coin at 1kg. I think it was about $20,000 US back then (2006-2007). I decided not to buy. It would be worth over $40,000 US now. Oh well, just shows how much value the USD has lost in only a few years.

I'm very familiar with Newmont, but I have not invested.....yet.

Last edited by scottp999; 01-06-2011 at 08:17 AM..
Appreciate 0
      03-01-2011, 01:28 PM   #8
KL07RPH
First Lieutenant
Philippines
Rep
Drives: G01 M40i

Garage List
Quote:
Greetings! Sorry to revive an old thread, but was curious if you have an update. I too have had this issue for some time and my dealer was unable to resolve after 2 attempts (replaced amp and then head unit), and even with a new battery installed. Mine also appeared after extremely hot weather several summers ago and is sporadic.
Appreciate 0
      03-01-2011, 07:06 PM   #9
fabregas-aus
Rep

No unfortunately I haven't found a solution. Admittedly I haven't forked out the money to have it looked at by a dealer. Let us know if you work it out.
Appreciate 0
      03-01-2011, 07:29 PM   #10
fdriller9
Banned
United_States
Rep
Drives: '06 AW 330xi

Garage List
2006 330xi  [6.44]
Quote:
No unfortunately I haven't found a solution. Admittedly I haven't forked out the money to have it looked at by a dealer. Let us know if you work it out.
Know anyone with a multimeter? Measure the voltage across the positive and negative posts. It should be around 12.6 volts.

I'm betting on the battery as well.
Appreciate 0
      03-01-2011, 09:35 PM   #11
KL07RPH
First Lieutenant
Philippines
Rep
Drives: G01 M40i

Garage List
Quote:
Argh, I feel your pain as well. I'm out of warranty and not exactly willing to pay the $$$ labor fees associated just to root out the cause. Hopefully I can locate an indie shop willing to do it within reason.
Appreciate 0
      06-09-2011, 08:46 AM   #12
bugsy
Rep
Drives: E93

I experience the very same problem as well.

From my observation it's the same, once it's get hot it occurs more often, but sometime break in audio is even longer than 2-5 seconds.
It happen couple of times, that besides breaks I've heard high hiss. Besides above once it happens multiple times, I've noticed that the whole system might be restarted, I mean I can see BMW logo in the same way as when car is started.

Problem with audio is for all inputs, radio am/fm, CD/mp3 & aux as well as with navi. I've noticed that when playing CD, time counter increases, so something works... But also during the problem iDrive seems to be blocked, sometimes it's completely lousy (I can turn it around without almost any force) and the other time, it seems to be "blocked".
Trying to adjust volume or mute sound, doesn't work immediately, but seems like is remembered, as it happen to me that sound returned later louder or quieter, depending on what I did.
Also noticed, that system sounds, like speed limit warning might be played if it happens at the end of the problem. It happens once in the way that it was interrupted couple of times but I could hear it.

So, all in all it seems like it has nothing to do with radio, maybe it has something to do with amplifier or more with computer/central unit?

Some people were recommending to check all connections including those in the trunk.

Are you guys aware how the whole wiring looks like and where are all connectors?

I've visited two dealers and they don't have any idea and as the car is out of warranty they seem to not care about the problem.

I've checked my car using DIS v57 and no errors were reported.

Any advises?

Thanks in advance,
Dawid
Appreciate 0
      06-12-2011, 08:53 AM   #13
wibzu
Registered
Rep
Drives: BMW E91

Hi,

I also have the same exact problem. It happens especially in hot weather. First I thought it might be the amplifier overheating, but since the whole iDrive is "freezing" for a moment I don't think its the amplifier. Haven't yet tried to let the amplifier hatch open in the boot. I have checked the connections in the amp, didn't change anything.

In my case I don't think it is the battery. Battery has been changed 2 years a go and it bigger than the original one.
Appreciate 0
      06-12-2011, 02:55 PM   #14
LocDawgg
Captain
Rep
Drives: AW e90

http://www.e90post.com/forums/showthread.php?t=3793

Theres a TSB for audio cutting off briefly.

Audio Switches off Briefly when Listening to FM Stations
http://www.bmwtis.com/tsb/bulletins/...p/B652605g.htm
Appreciate 0
      06-12-2011, 05:57 PM   #15
bugsy
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by LocDawgg View Post
http://www.e90post.com/forums/showthread.php?t=3793

Theres a TSB for audio cutting off briefly.

Many thanks for this!

Just one question, how may I get this TSB? I don't have access to online TIS.
Is this available anyhow within TIS which is installed as add-on to DIS?

Would it be possible for you to paste in here or PM me with content of this TSB as well as below two, as I might be falling under those as well?

No Audio Sound in any Mode
http://www.bmwtis.com/tsb/bulletins/...p/B650905g.htm
CCC: Loss of all Audio
http://www.bmwtis.com/tsb/bulletins/...p/B651005g.htm

Thanks in advance!

EDIT.
Did my google trip and found what's needed, but still wondering how to get my hands on rest of TSBs as those found are just by luck as other people posted them on various sites.

###
http://www.justanswer.com/bmw/3dp30-...on-t-work.html
###
SUBJECT
MODEL
E60, E61 (5 Series)
E63, E64 (6 Series)
E90, E91, E92, E93 (3 Series)
Vehicles equipped with CCC (SA 609) without Logic7 amplifier (SA 677)
SITUATION
The customer states that the audio system loses all sound output; there is crackling from the
speakers; or the audio system resets (Central Information Display blanks out briefly). The
mute symbol cannot be turned on or off by pressing the rotary knob. Audio may be restored
after the vehicle enters sleep mode.
One or more of the following faults may be stored in the CCC-ASK:
A1A1 - Control module fault
· A1A2 - Control module fault
· A1A3 - Control module fault
· A1A4 - Control module fault
· A1A5 - Control module fault
· A19B - Control module fault.
CAUSE
CCC-ASK hardware failure.
PROCEDURE
1. Perform the DIS test plan (B6512_50013 CCC Complete) that is automatically linked
to the faults listed above. Follow the recommendations given by the test plan. If the
test plan requires the replacement of the CCC, the diagnostic code that is generated is
the authorization for replacing the part.
2. It is NOT necessary to obtain a part replacement authorization (TeileClearing) for this
specific issue. Refer to the warranty section of this bulletin for more details.
WARRANTY INFORMATION
Covered under the terms of the BMW New Vehicle Limited Warranty.
Please refer to the latest KSD for all applicable labor operations and allowances.
If the appropriate labor operation is not contained in KSD, then a work time labor operation
should be used.
Defect Code 65 10 19 12 00
Part replacement authorization is NOT required. Do NOT submit a TeileClearing PuMA
case. A copy of the diagnostic report (short test) which includes a copy of the test modules
that were completed must be kept with the Repair order (RO) and FASTA data must be
transmitted. When submitting a warranty claim, please include the following information in
the comments section:
Diagnostic codes generated by the test plan
· SI B65 10 05 (CCC: Loss of all audio)

####
###
http://www.e90post.com/forums/showthread.php?t=13843
###
This Service Information bulletin supersedes S.I. B65 26 05 dated December 2005.

designates changes to this revision

SUBJECT

MODEL
E60, E61 (5 Series) with SA 609 CCC-Navigation

E63, E64 (6 Series)

E90, E91 (3 Series) with SA 609 CCC-Navigation

SITUATION
The customer states that after setting a radio station preset with RDS (Radio Data System) active, and then deactivating RDS, the audio mutes briefly while the customer is driving. CCC-ANT FC "DACA watchdog reset" is stored. Note: With the release of DIS V44 this fault is no longer displayed for this problem when performing a short test.

CAUSE
CCC (Car Communication Computer) software error. The problem only occurred after the vehicles software was updated using CIP V19.1, V19.2 or V20.x

PROCEDURE 1
Perform the following procedure using DIS V44 or higher. This test plan will only be successful if the vehicle has CIP software V19.1, V19.2 or V20.x installed.

1. Perform a short test on the vehicle and diagnose and repair any other faults related to the CCC or the sound system.

2. Select "Function Selection" from the bottom left menu bar.

3. Select "Service functions".

4. Select "Body".

5. Select "Car Communication Computer".

6. Select "Add tuner profiles" and then "Test plan".

7. Select "- Add tuner profiles S6512_50003" under "Own test plan" and page right.

8. In the "Identification" screen is displayed 2 reminders. Read and then page right:

* "This service function may only be used for the Car Communication Computer"

* "The CCC must be recoded before this service function is executed". This means that CIP 19.1 or 19.2 must be loaded in order for this test plan to operate correctly. If you have a similar customer complaint and CIP 19.1 or 19.2 are not loaded then this test plan will not fix the problem. Troubleshoot accordingly.

9. In the "Message" screen is displayed the following. Read and page right:

* "The coding of the tuner is being corrected. 2 diagnosis jobs are carried out for this purpose"

10. In the "Message" screen is displayed the following:

* "The tuner coding has been corrected"

11. End test module and perform quick delete of all faults.

12. Turn key off for 5 minutes or until driver's switch-block LED goes out.

13. Check functionality of system for proper operation.

PROCEDURE 2
Perform the following procedure only while updating the vehicle software using Progman V20.x. For all other vehicles use Procedure 1.

1. After the vehicle software has been updated and the "Final Report" is displayed, select the "Finish" button.

2. Select "Change" and then "Vehicle".

3. Select "Service Functions".

4. Select "CCC-ANT" and then "Continue".

5. Continue in the test plan until the "Final Report" is displayed and select "Finish".

6. End the Progman session and turn the key off for 5 minutes or until the driver's switch-block LED goes out.

7. Check functionality of the system for proper operation.

8. This procedure needs to be performed after any programming/coding until the release of Progman V21 (expected March 2006).

WARRANTY INFORMATION
Covered under the terms of the BMW New Vehicle Limited Warranty.

Defect Code
Refer to KSD

Labor Operation:
Refer to KSD

Labor Allowance:
Refer to KSD

Last edited by bugsy; 06-12-2011 at 06:59 PM..
Appreciate 0
      06-12-2011, 07:02 PM   #16
bugsy
Rep

Ok, so reading TSBs it seems like I'm facing:
TSB: 65 10 05

My car is from 2007, so it's out of warranty if I'm not mistaken (I'm second owner).

Should this problem with CCC fixed for free by BMW?
CCC is a bit pricey... So I'd prefer to have them fixed this free of charge as it's known problem.
Appreciate 0
      06-19-2011, 12:56 AM   #17
LocDawgg
Captain
Rep
Drives: AW e90

http://www.e90post.com/forums/showthread.php?t=131602

Heres a PDF file with a complete list. Hope this helps
Appreciate 0
      06-19-2011, 11:23 AM   #18
bugsyb
Registered
Rep

Thanks! I've found this list attached to the other thread as well.

BMW recommends to swap CCC, but I've also heard that it's possible to repair it which costs nothing comparing to value of new CCC.

The only remaining question is how to get access to any specific TSB since BMW closed access to online TIS.
Appreciate 0
      08-16-2011, 03:28 AM   #19
Sinpa
Registered
Finland
Rep
Drives: BMW 320D touring

Was this solved already? I'm having similar problems with my E91.
Appreciate 0
      08-16-2011, 06:59 AM   #20
fabregas-aus
Rep

Problem hasn't happened once since about March/April - cooler months in Australia. Will be interesting to see if it returns around November.
Appreciate 0
      10-16-2011, 08:17 PM   #21
fabregas-aus
Rep

It's October, and the problem has now returned

Did any of you other guys have any success??
Appreciate 0
      05-19-2012, 06:31 PM   #22
riceb0ii
Registered
Rep
Drives: 325i e92

Any updates about this? I also have the exact same issue! Any information on how to fix this would be great
Appreciate 0