F30POST
F30POST
2012-2015 BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum (F30 / F32) | F30POST > Technical Forums > Wheels and Tires -- Sponsored by The Tire Rack > OFFICIAL Slammed/Stanced (F30/F32) Thread
proTUNING Freaks

12-14-2014, 12:07 PM   #375
Dippydo
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2023 M8 Comp

Garage List
2012 BMW  [1.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Camnyc View Post
trim and move the pick up point further inward.
I get the trim part, but what do you mean by "move the pick up point"? I don't rub at my height tucking about 1/2" of tire but would like to get the front down a little lower. I pulled the fenders out a little, as far as I think it is possible without looking noticeable.
Appreciate 1
      12-14-2014, 12:10 PM   #376
MS135I
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: M-sport 328i

That is one of the flushest fitments and nicest stance I have seen yet on an F30. Nicely done.
Looking forward to seeing more pics.
Appreciate 0
      12-14-2014, 12:19 PM   #377
Dippydo
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep

Garage List
2012 BMW  [1.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by ocauto View Post
Finally got my wheels...

Wheels: SSR SP4's 20X9 et29 // 20X10.5 et43
Tires: Toyo T1 Sport 240/30 Front - 275/30 Rear

Here is a quick peek of fitment so far. I plan on doing a full write up on what I had to actually do to achieve this height on a daily driven car without rubbing. It was a pain in the ass, and we're still not done. Final adjustments to be made this weekend, along with M Performance brakes.

Stay tuned...

I would be curious how you did this as well. When I switched to KW V2 coils from H&R coils, even at the hardest setting I was rubbing on the rear with a ET42 10.5" wheel. I shaved the hubs so they would be ET44.5 (shaved off 2.5mm) and not rubbing anymore. Wonder if the Toyo tires have a slimmer profile than the Hankooks on the 275. You are running a lower profile so I get why you can get that low there, BUT when I looked for a 240/30 nothing came up. Do you have a 245/30?
Appreciate 0
      12-14-2014, 12:22 PM   #378
betlion
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: bmw

hankook v12 run wider than toyos
Appreciate 0
      12-14-2014, 01:10 PM   #379
ocauto
Automotive Photography
Rep
Drives: 2016 X5 35D M Sport

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wai328 View Post
Very nice!!!
Thanks man!
Appreciate 0
      12-14-2014, 01:12 PM   #380
ocauto
Automotive Photography
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by MS135I View Post
That is one of the flushest fitments and nicest stance I have seen yet on an F30. Nicely done.
Looking forward to seeing more pics.
Thanks man. Getting the car back today with the BBK on, pictures will be posted sometime this week hopefully
Appreciate 0
      12-14-2014, 01:23 PM   #381
ocauto
Automotive Photography
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dippydo View Post
I would be curious how you did this as well. When I switched to KW V2 coils from H&R coils, even at the hardest setting I was rubbing on the rear with a ET42 10.5" wheel. I shaved the hubs so they would be ET44.5 (shaved off 2.5mm) and not rubbing anymore. Wonder if the Toyo tires have a slimmer profile than the Hankooks on the 275. You are running a lower profile so I get why you can get that low there, BUT when I looked for a 240/30 nothing came up. Do you have a 245/30?
Yes, you are correct. I am running a 245 up front, that was a typo. We are still trying to figure out how to get the front to stop hitting the fenders when turning into parking lots/dips when the wheel is turned. Honestly I don't think its going to happen unless I shave the hubs as well, or I get camber plates. I have some street plates that will work with the V2's, but still having issues with install. Also, we shaved fender clips and it still hits a little on big dips on the freeway. Adjustments are still being made.

Onto the rear, I remember you saying you shaved your hubs. I was going to do that as well, but instead I just started modifying the liner where the tire was rubbing. Once I did that, I was good to go. Don't be scared to take some liner out

And yes, Toyo's have a much more round side wall than any other tire that I have had. The T1 sport also has much more stretch for a 275/30 in my opinion. A lot of thought went into this fitment, so I wanted to get it right. Unfortunately, you have to modifying everything.

Keep an eye on this thread, pics and full write up coming soon.
Appreciate 0
      12-14-2014, 06:58 PM   #382
Camnyc
wannabe
Rep
Drives: E90 LCI M3

Quote:
Yes, you are correct. I am running a 245 up front, that was a typo. We are still trying to figure out how to get the front to stop hitting the fenders when turning into parking lots/dips when the wheel is turned. Honestly I don't think its going to happen unless I shave the hubs as well, or I get camber plates. I have some street plates that will work with the V2's, but still having issues with install. Also, we shaved fender clips and it still hits a little on big dips on the freeway. Adjustments are still being made.

Onto the rear, I remember you saying you shaved your hubs. I was going to do that as well, but instead I just started modifying the liner where the tire was rubbing. Once I did that, I was good to go. Don't be scared to take some liner out

And yes, Toyo's have a much more round side wall than any other tire that I have had. The T1 sport also has much more stretch for a 275/30 in my opinion. A lot of thought went into this fitment, so I wanted to get it right. Unfortunately, you have to modifying everything.

Seems like you and I think alike. I had the same issues this past year with my setup. shaved the tabs and relocated the bolts up front, Installed camber plates up front, trimmed the rear fender liner and mounting points for the rear bumper and adjusted the camber in the rear (oem adjustment).

New setup is going to be 20x10 et 35 up front and 20x11 et 42 out back, I will be doing aftermarket arms in the rear to get it dialed in.
Appreciate 0
      12-14-2014, 11:18 PM   #383
ocauto
Automotive Photography
Rep

Quote:
Seems like you and I think alike. I had the same issues this past year with my setup. shaved the tabs and relocated the bolts up front, Installed camber plates up front, trimmed the rear fender liner and mounting points for the rear bumper and adjusted the camber in the rear (oem adjustment).

New setup is going to be 20x10 et 35 up front and 20x11 et 42 out back, I will be doing aftermarket arms in the rear to get it dialed in.
WOW that I'm sure will look awesome! Is your car currently on this thread?

Where did you relocate the front bolts? Do you have any pics you could PM to me?
Appreciate 0
      12-14-2014, 11:20 PM   #384
betlion
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: bmw

Damn, that's an aggressive setup

what tire size you plan to run?
Appreciate 0
      12-15-2014, 07:37 AM   #385
Dippydo
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep

Garage List
2012 BMW  [1.00]
Quote:

OK all makes since and is all familiar. LOL... I am about the same height as you on the rear. Before shaving the hubs 2.5mm I was rubbing at 10 oclock right below where the bumper meets the metal fender. Never rubs the rear fender liners. Changing the offset to a 44.5 solved all my rear rubbing issues and I can ride with the KWs in the middle of the rebound setting so it rides very smooth. On the front I still rub a little on the fender lip at full compression but just barely and the fender liner but it has to be a pretty good jolt. If I go to the Toyo from the way it sounds, that should eliminate that. The front lip I pulled just slightly like I said. It is not noticeable at all and gives it that little extra clearance but the outer lip before the rim will graze the fender lip. When I switch back to the summers, I will take a heat gun to the areas where the liner was being hit and that should solve the rest. Just have to remold it, shouldnt have to cut it.

Show a profile pic of your car. Looks sharp.

Last edited by Dippydo; 12-15-2014 at 09:02 AM..
Appreciate 0
      12-15-2014, 08:48 AM   #386
Camnyc
wannabe
Rep
Drives: E90 LCI M3

Quote:
WOW that I'm sure will look awesome! Is your car currently on this thread?

Where did you relocate the front bolts? Do you have any pics you could PM to me?
yeah, its somewhere in this thread, on a set of velgens. i ran them 20x9 et23 up front with a 235/35/20 and 20x10.5 et40 with a 275/30/20.

gonna go back with a 235/35/20 on the 20x10 and a 255/30/20 on the 20x11, gonna try a 265 first and then see if i can keep the camber at -3, if not ill swap for the 255.

Ill try to get some pics of the fronts.
Appreciate 0
      12-15-2014, 09:08 AM   #387
Dippydo
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep

Garage List
2012 BMW  [1.00]
Quote:
yeah, its somewhere in this thread, on a set of velgens. i ran them 20x9 et23 up front with a 235/35/20 and 20x10.5 et40 with a 275/30/20.

gonna go back with a 235/35/20 on the 20x10 and a 255/30/20 on the 20x11, gonna try a 265 first and then see if i can keep the camber at -3, if not ill swap for the 255.

How's your tire wear at -3 camber? I was at -2.3 when I had my H&R coils with no rub, then when I got my KWs installed I tried to run at -3 to solve the rubbing and it didn't help and within 500 miles the inner tires were very noticeable of tire wear in just that short of time. Went back to -2.3 after my hubs were shaved, I swapped the tires around so the unworn was on the insides and after all summer driving 4000 miles they are back to wearing normal. So it seems the sweet spot for normal tire wear with neg camber is at about -2.3/.4. The shop is good at aligning but couldnt get it to stop the tire from eating away. Which is fine, going from -2 ish to -3 was a noticeable difference visually, so I was glad the shaving worked and to have the tire a little more upright. LOL.

Here's how far my rear is down with the ET44.5 on a 10.5" If I go just a 1/8" lower it will start to rub. I would like to bring the front a little lower.
Attached Images

Last edited by Dippydo; 12-15-2014 at 09:16 AM..
Appreciate 0
      12-15-2014, 12:10 PM   #388
ocauto
Automotive Photography
Rep

Quote:

Very nice man. I'm sure I have seen your car on here. I literally sat on this thread and looked for cars that I wanted to model mine after height wise. All the Velgen cars on here are where I wanted my car to sit. I ran my setup that low for a day or so, and then had to raise it a little bit so I can daily the car and put all my photo gear in the trunk. Driving to LA from Orange County and tucking wheel in the rear wasn't exactly working for me

Can't wait to see your new setup. 20X10

Also, what suspension and camber plates were you running?
Appreciate 0
      12-15-2014, 12:40 PM   #389
hotlikelavadan
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2014 Estoril Blue F30

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dippydo View Post
I get the trim part, but what do you mean by "move the pick up point"? I don't rub at my height tucking about 1/2" of tire but would like to get the front down a little lower. I pulled the fenders out a little, as far as I think it is possible without looking noticeable.
+1 anyone care to show a pic how they moved the fender tabs?
Appreciate 0
      12-17-2014, 10:50 AM   #390
ocauto
Automotive Photography
Rep

OCAUTO BMW 328i F30 - Daily Driven

I am writing about my full setup and what I did for the guys who are stalking this thread like I did looking for the "How the hell is he running that spec and sitting that low" question. Basically, you need to do a lot of modifying to get there. I took the precautionary approach from my experience and there was still things I needed to modify. There is no way to throw on a set of aggressive 20" wheels, lower the car and expect the car not to rub. It's impossible. And, from what I have seen on this thread, my wheels aren't that aggressive.

Here are my specs:

Wheels: SSR SP4 20X9 et29 (F) 20X10.5 et43 (R)
Tires: Toyo T1 Sport 245/30/20 (F) 275/30/20 (R)
Suspension: KW V2 Coilover

So far this is how the car is sitting. I do a lot of driving from OC to Los Angeles with photo gear in the back. Adding the slightest bit of weight brings the rear down another 1/4-1/2". My photo equipment weighs around 150-200lbs depending on what I bring. I am running KW V2's with the rebound all the way up on the front and the rear. I modified the rear liner and rear bumper connecting points and currently have no rubbing issues. My front fenders were slightly rolled for extra clearance along with modifying the front fender connecting points and it still rubs. I need maybe a half degree of negative camber to fix the issue. Currently I do not have camber plates installed. IMO the car rides better with this current setup than it did at stock height with the BMW run flats it comes with.

As far as rear camber, I am running -3.3 in the rear. It's a little aggressive, but we wanted to make sure I wasn't going to rub. Depending on tire wear, I will most likely have it adjusted back to -3/-2.75. I do have a little bit of room in the rear, but not much, maybe an 1/8". Ground Control Street Camber plates are being installed after the new year and I will be adjusting for slight rubbing of the fenders when hitting dips at higher speeds and turning lock to lock into parking lots with those awesome rain gutter dips. If the camber plates fix the rubbing issues, I will most likely lower the car to where I originally had it, which is another 1/4" all around.

I'll be posting more pics as soon as I get a chance to take some. Hopefully this write up helps a little bit. Thanks for reading.

Last edited by ocauto; 12-17-2014 at 10:56 AM..
Appreciate 2
      12-17-2014, 11:45 PM   #391
hotlikelavadan
Second Lieutenant
Rep

^So how did you modify the front connecting points? The only easy solution I can think of is shave them off and put the quick release on the outside somehow, though I know lots of people won't like that
Appreciate 0
      12-18-2014, 12:42 PM   #392
ocauto
Automotive Photography
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by hotlikelavadan View Post
^So how did you modify the front connecting points? The only easy solution I can think of is shave them off and put the quick release on the outside somehow, though I know lots of people won't like that
You can shave them down, don't shave them off completely
Appreciate 0
      12-19-2014, 12:34 AM   #393
hotlikelavadan
Second Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
You can shave them down, don't shave them off completely
Hmm I might have to try this
Appreciate 0
      12-19-2014, 11:43 AM   #394
N3M35IS
Team Nemesis
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2020 X3M COMP

Quote:

I am writing about my full setup and what I did for the guys who are stalking this thread like I did looking for the "How the hell is he running that spec and sitting that low" question. Basically, you need to do a lot of modifying to get there. I took the precautionary approach from my experience and there was still things I needed to modify. There is no way to throw on a set of aggressive 20" wheels, lower the car and expect the car not to rub. It's impossible. And, from what I have seen on this thread, my wheels aren't that aggressive.

Here are my specs:

Wheels: SSR SP4 20X9 et29 (F) 20X10.5 et43 (R)
Tires: Toyo T1 Sport 245/30/20 (F) 275/30/20 (R)
Suspension: KW V2 Coilover

So far this is how the car is sitting. I do a lot of driving from OC to Los Angeles with photo gear in the back. Adding the slightest bit of weight brings the rear down another 1/4-1/2". My photo equipment weighs around 150-200lbs depending on what I bring. I am running KW V2's with the rebound all the way up on the front and the rear. I modified the rear liner and rear bumper connecting points and currently have no rubbing issues. My front fenders were slightly rolled for extra clearance along with modifying the front fender connecting points and it still rubs. I need maybe a half degree of negative camber to fix the issue. Currently I do not have camber plates installed. IMO the car rides better with this current setup than it did at stock height with the BMW run flats it comes with.

As far as rear camber, I am running -3.3 in the rear. It's a little aggressive, but we wanted to make sure I wasn't going to rub. Depending on tire wear, I will most likely have it adjusted back to -3/-2.75. I do have a little bit of room in the rear, but not much, maybe an 1/8". Ground Control Street Camber plates are being installed after the new year and I will be adjusting for slight rubbing of the fenders when hitting dips at higher speeds and turning lock to lock into parking lots with those awesome rain gutter dips. If the camber plates fix the rubbing issues, I will most likely lower the car to where I originally had it, which is another 1/4" all around.

I'll be posting more pics as soon as I get a chance to take some. Hopefully this write up helps a little bit. Thanks for reading.
Nice car man. Just thought i give you a heads up on something. your setup and mine is pretty identical.. i was running my f30 on 20x9 et 25 20x10.5 et41 slammed and on full stiff. i started to notice my passanger rear fender liner had a hole and it was rubbing on the filler neck. just thought i let you know about that.
Appreciate 0
      12-19-2014, 12:26 PM   #395
ocauto
Automotive Photography
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by N3M35IS View Post
Nice car man. Just thought i give you a heads up on something. your setup and mine is pretty identical.. i was running my f30 on 20x9 et 25 20x10.5 et41 slammed and on full stiff. i started to notice my passanger rear fender liner had a hole and it was rubbing on the filler neck. just thought i let you know about that.
Whoa...thanks for the heads up. I'll definitely keep an eye on it. What did you do to fix the problem?
Appreciate 0
      12-19-2014, 01:32 PM   #396
N3M35IS
Team Nemesis
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2020 X3M COMP

Quote:
Whoa...thanks for the heads up. I'll definitely keep an eye on it. What did you do to fix the problem?
sold the coilovers and went with air suspension lol
Appreciate 2