E90Post

TNT Racewerks

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90 / E92 / E93 3-series Technical Forums > Suspension | Brakes | Chassis > M3 tension strut bushing clunk

04-11-2024, 04:12 PM   #1
gvisockas
Rep
Drives: e90

M3 tension strut bushing clunk

Since I swapped Meyle HD bushings for m3, I immediately noticed a clunk/loud loose rattle coming from my front end. It's a bit delicate and presents itself when driving over moon-surface-resembling asphalt or when wheels hit a speedbump separately. I have re-torqued every bolt (strut braces included) at ride height, changed engine mounts, sway bar bushings and links yet to no avail. Tension struts and LCAs were a month old prior to that.

The only culprit that's left besides the bushings might be a worn steering rack (which I have taken to be adjusted adjusted in September), but there is no noticeable looseness.

I would expect solid bushings to add noise, but this seems like a spring that clunks at the end. Does this sound familiar to any of you? I will try to record it.
Appreciate 0
      04-12-2024, 09:28 PM   #2
whyzee125
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: Dinan stage 2 335i

Did you replace your control arm bolts?

Mine kept coming loose/clunking til I replaced my bolts.
Appreciate 0
      04-13-2024, 06:28 AM   #3
Simbl
Private First Class
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: E92 330i

I had this issue. Particularly low speed with poor road surface. I still get it a little bit. It is not as bad as when I fitted the V arms.

Some things I tried.
  • Check all under trays including gear box ones. I end up replace all the bolts and nut/clips. The gearbox tray was loose and this prevented a lot of the noise.
  • Tighten top nut on chassis.
  • Check brake hose bracket is not contacting anything from being bent.
  • Retorque all suspension bolts/nulls including sway bar mushes
  • Fitted strut brace, e93 braces and DIY costume lower subframe brace.
  • I even put chassis ear on and couldn’t find culprit.
  • Fit engine and gearbox mounts.

What seemed to make the most different was securing the undertrays. I think the stiffer bushing makes stuff rattle. The m3 has a metal belly pan which is much more solidly mounted. I believe I could also secure more items within the front bumper and possibly cooling pack mounts.

The sound for me just comes from the front end no side particularly. And it was a loose dull rattle like something was flapping around.

Its worth mentioning I have also replace gearbox and engine mounts. One of my engine mounts was bad so that help a lot too.

I would say check undertrays and engine mounts first.

Let me know if you solve it!
Appreciate 0
      04-13-2024, 04:42 PM   #4
vester86
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: BMW 330D '08

my (trw) tensions struts were shot within 15k miles. the ballpoint at the knuckle had lots of play. moved “back” to Meyle HD arms
Appreciate 0
      04-14-2024, 01:51 AM   #5
gvisockas
Rep

Managed to capture a VERY good example (it's usually subtle and hard to replicate). At the beginning there were some rather big bumps on asphalt that are inaudible, later on a flat cobblestone road starts and the rattle is present.

https://www.youtube.com/shorts/3CIS-8Mh-d8

First thing I did was secure all the undertrays, even pushed a thick sponge in between the gearbox and the tray as I thought it was causing the noise. Somehow I don't think it's caused by surrounding hardware (e.g. brake hoses) as it seems to have this deep ring to it. One experienced mechanic suggested that it might be due to worn ball ends.
Appreciate 0
      04-14-2024, 02:36 AM   #6
dwall
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2013 F10 M5

Hey, that steering rack adjustment sounds like a good call, even if everything feels tight. Getting some ears on that recording over at a BMW forum could really crack this nut.
Appreciate 0
      04-14-2024, 04:02 AM   #7
gvisockas
Rep

Hey, dwall, did you have any specific forum in mind?
Appreciate 0
      04-14-2024, 07:36 AM   #8
Simbl
Private First Class
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: E92 330i

Quote:
Originally Posted by gvisockas View Post
Managed to capture a VERY good example (it's usually subtle and hard to replicate). At the beginning there were some rather big bumps on asphalt that are inaudible, later on a flat cobblestone road starts and the rattle is present.

https://www.youtube.com/shorts/3CIS-8Mh-d8

First thing I did was secure all the undertrays, even pushed a thick sponge in between the gearbox and the tray as I thought it was causing the noise. Somehow I don't think it's caused by surrounding hardware (e.g. brake hoses) as it seems to have this deep ring to it. One experienced mechanic suggested that it might be due to worn ball ends.
Well that is much worse and doesn’t sound the same as what I had experienced.

There are some issues with the TRW arms that aren’t manufactured in Germany. The outer ball joint fails almost immediately.

That to to me is kind of what it sounds like.

There is a post on BMW E9x owners club Uk about the issue with the TRW arms you can use the search function and find it.
Appreciate 0
      04-14-2024, 07:39 AM   #9
335i54n
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: e90 335i, e39 m5

could be bad dampers, speed bumps and cobble stone road are good area to check. if u go slow and smooth over the bump you can usually figure it out on compression
Appreciate 0
      04-14-2024, 10:45 AM   #10
gvisockas
Rep

I would rule out dampers (or at least REALLY would like to) as I had used them for a week without any problems until the sound appeared immediately after changing to m3 TS bushings.

I know a place that can press out the ball-ends and will give them a call.
Appreciate 0
      04-14-2024, 12:42 PM   #11
335i54n
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: e90 335i, e39 m5

gl, that vid to me just sounds like any car driving over rough roads. if you can get it on a raised platform/alignment rack you can hang on the arms, use prybar or specific tool to check.

https://www.amazon.com/SEADEAR-Autom.../dp/B09TW6873G
Appreciate 0
      04-14-2024, 02:27 PM   #12
gvisockas
Rep

It has been checked both stationary (on a lift) and on an oscillatory stand.

It for sure is not, well... I would probably agree it might sound normal had I not changed all of the components. A new car does not rattle as mine does on a cobble road.
Appreciate 0