BMW M3 Forum (E90 E92)

BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

Go Back   M3Post - BMW M3 Forum > M3 (E90 / E92 / E93) > General M3 Forum (E90 + E92 + E93)

09-15-2013, 02:15 PM   #1
e46m3to135i
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2010 MR E92 M3

Question About to make a purchase....Couple questions

Hey everyone.

I might be getting back in to a M car. I'm currently in a CPO 2010 E92 335i. The possible replacement is below:

2010 E92 M3
20,500 miles
DCT
Melbourne Red
Black Leather
Competition Package
Premium Package
PDC
$42,888

Here are my questions:

- When the salesman started the car at the dealership, it stalled after having a rough idle for 2-3 minutes. It did the same thing after starting it again, had a rough hunting idle for about 2-3 minutes and then stalled. Started it a third time and it idled much better and stayed idling as it should.

*From what I researched, it could be a bad Idle Control Valve. All of the ICV threads I've read don't mention any stalling issues though. Mainly just hunting idles. I could be wrong though.

- During each start from the above mentioned issue, the car appeared to have a pretty loud exhaust leak sound coming from the area under the front of the car. The exhaust leak sound does slowly go away after 45-60 seconds from start up.

*I have done a bit a research on this one and for the most part, most folks say its normal. At what point is the exhaust leak sound not normal. The sound that I heard was pretty loud.

Its also worth mentioning that this M is at a Jaguar/Land Rover dealer and not a BMW dealership.

Any help would greatly be appreciated.

Thanks in advance!!

-Nick

Evolve Stage 1 Tune / GTS DCT Flash / Servo Tune / OEM Exhaust Mod / BMC Drop In / H&R Sports Springs / BMS 15/12mm Spacers / CF Grilles / CF Gills / CF Hood Vents / Painted Reflectors / Extended Paddles / BMS ARC AE's / Cyba Scoops / 20% Tint
Appreciate 0
      09-15-2013, 02:22 PM   #2
serranot
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2011 E90 M3 6MT

Garage List
2011 BMW E90 M3  [10.00]
The car should *not* stall. It could be the ICV.

The car has a cold start sequence for about 1 minute, where it will buck and snort and sound raspy. That is perfectly normal, and many of us love the cold start.

Good luck.
Appreciate 0
      09-15-2013, 02:33 PM   #3
SUBFRAMERIPPER
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2009 E90

That car is still under warranty. Call a BMW service center with the VIN number and check the service history. If you are serious about buying the car just get a ppi.
Appreciate 0
      09-15-2013, 02:51 PM   #4
e46m3to135i
Private First Class
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by SUBFRAMERIPPER View Post
That car is still under warranty. Call a BMW service center with the VIN number and check the service history. If you are serious about buying the car just get a ppi.
I called the one and only BMW dealer on Oahu and they wouldn't give me any service history on the car. They said that the registered owner could only request that information.

They did however tell me something that was odd.

They said that this car is still under the BMW European warranty and is not under the BMW NA warranty. She also said that all she could tell me is that this car has NEVER been to their dealership for services.

This led me to believe that the cars previous owner was military and bought the car overseas and then had it shipped to Hawaii and never transferred the warranty over to the North America side once he/she arrived on island.

I asked the Jaguar dealer about this and they supplied me with a car fax report showing that the car was a one owner car before they took it in as a trade and it was first registered in Hawaii and it also showed services being done in Hawaii at 5,000/12,000 and 20,000 miles.

Either the BMW dealer I called input a wrong number from the last 7 of the VIN or the Jaguar dealership supplied me with a false car fax report.

I really don't think either of the two are going on, but something just isn't adding up with this car.

-Nick

Evolve Stage 1 Tune / GTS DCT Flash / Servo Tune / OEM Exhaust Mod / BMC Drop In / H&R Sports Springs / BMS 15/12mm Spacers / CF Grilles / CF Gills / CF Hood Vents / Painted Reflectors / Extended Paddles / BMS ARC AE's / Cyba Scoops / 20% Tint
Appreciate 0
      09-15-2013, 03:15 PM   #5
Techjunkie666
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: X5D SAV

Move onto another car. Never a good sign when a DCT car stalls. Why buy something that already has an issue? Plenty of E92 out there that are in good shape. Also do yourself a favor and test drive a C63 AMG also. I regret not doing that
      09-15-2013, 03:41 PM   #6
e46m3to135i
Private First Class
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Techjunkie666 View Post
Move onto another car. Never a good sign when a DCT car stalls. Why buy something that already has an issue? Plenty of E92 out there that are in good shape. Also do yourself a favor and test drive a C63 AMG also. I regret not doing that
Reason being is because its a car I've been wanting for a few years and its priced right.

If it is in fact under warranty, then I could care less if something is wrong with it since I wont be paying for it out of my own pocket.

Believe it or not, this is only e92 M3 available on Oahu right now that is for sale at a dealership. My job doesn't offer the time needed to sell my current car to a private buyer or I would have done so already.

I have made it clear to the Jaguar salesman that I wont sign any documents until I see something from BMW NA saying that the M3 has a current valid BMW NA full warranty remaining.

He said he would get back to me Monday morning with what I have requested.

Hopefully this past 2 days hasn't been a waste of my time.

-Nick

Appreciate 0
      09-15-2013, 03:41 PM   #7
nullrouted
Studying...
United_States
Rep
Drives: AW '13 E92 ZCP 6MT M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by e46m3to135i
Hey everyone.

I might be getting back in to a M car. I'm currently in a CPO 2010 E92 335i. The possible replacement is below:

2010 E92 M3
20,500 miles
DCT
Melbourne Red
Black Leather
Competition Package
Premium Package
PDC
$42,888

Here are my questions:

- When the salesman started the car at the dealership, it stalled after having a rough idle for 2-3 minutes. It did the same thing after starting it again, had a rough hunting idle for about 2-3 minutes and then stalled. Started it a third time and it idled much better and stayed idling as it should.

*From what I researched, it could be a bad Idle Control Valve. All of the ICV threads I've read don't mention any stalling issues though. Mainly just hunting idles. I could be wrong though.

- During each start from the above mentioned issue, the car appeared to have a pretty loud exhaust leak sound coming from the area under the front of the car. The exhaust leak sound does slowly go away after 45-60 seconds from start up.

*I have done a bit a research on this one and for the most part, most folks say its normal. At what point is the exhaust leak sound not normal. The sound that I heard was pretty loud.

Its also worth mentioning that this M is at a Jaguar/Land Rover dealer and not a BMW dealership.

Thanks in advance!!

-Nick
I don't think that car was broken in or even serviced properly. The Carfax shows the run in service was done at like 485miles, that's way too early. It's supposed to be completed at 1200 miles at the end of the break in. It also doesn't show oil/filter change at that service either which is something I would expect to see. That could explain the rough idle issue the car is exhibiting now. I'd steer clear.
Appreciate 0
      09-15-2013, 03:47 PM   #8
nullrouted
Studying...
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Quote:
Reason being is because its a car I've been wanting for a few years and its priced right.

If it is in fact under warranty, then I could care less if something is wrong with it since I wont be paying for it out of my own pocket.

Believe it or not, this is only e92 M3 available on Oahu right now that is for sale at a dealership. My job doesn't offer the time needed to sell my current car to a private buyer or I would have done so already.

I have made it clear to the Jaguar salesman that I wont sign any documents until I see something from BMW NA saying that the M3 has a current valid BMW NA full warranty remaining.

-Nick
There's an E92 in Aiea, E93 and E90 in Honolulu at BMW, probably both CPO. Prices are higher but all 3 look like better options than the red one.
Appreciate 0
      09-15-2013, 03:48 PM   #9
e46m3to135i
Private First Class
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by nullrouted View Post
I don't think that car was broken in or even serviced properly. The Carfax shows the run in service was done at like 485miles, that's way too early. It's supposed to be completed at 1200 miles at the end of the break in. It also doesn't show oil/filter change at that service either which is something I would expect to see. That could explain the rough idle issue the car is exhibiting now. I'd steer clear.
I'm assuming you found it on CL and are going off of this CarFax report?:

http://www.carfax.com/VehicleHistory...WD9C55AP362580

Appreciate 0
      09-15-2013, 03:49 PM   #10
nullrouted
Studying...
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Quote:
I'm assuming you found it on CL and are going off of this CarFax report?:

http://www.carfax.com/VehicleHistory...WD9C55AP362580
Yeah, looked on cars.com, that's the one I read.
Appreciate 0
      09-15-2013, 03:49 PM   #11
e46m3to135i
Private First Class
United_States
Rep

Where's the E92 in Aiea that you are referring to?

Appreciate 0
      09-15-2013, 03:51 PM   #12
e46m3to135i
Private First Class
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by e46m3to135i View Post
Never mind. I found it.

All three that you posted are a little out of my price range.

Appreciate 0
      09-15-2013, 03:53 PM   #13
nullrouted
Studying...
United_States
Rep

Quote:
http://m.cars.com/mcs/projects/cars/...ar=2011&t=used
Appreciate 0
      09-15-2013, 03:55 PM   #14
nullrouted
Studying...
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Quote:
Never mind. I found it.

All three that you posted are a little out of my price range.
That is unfortunate, the Fire Orange E90 is really special. That car will hold value really well.
Appreciate 0
      09-15-2013, 03:57 PM   #15
e46m3to135i
Private First Class
United_States
Rep

Quote:
That is unfortunate, the Fire Orange E90 is really special. That car will hold value really well.
Agreed. I love the color and options it has but I just cant do a sedan. I'm strictly a e92 kinda guy.

Appreciate 0
      09-15-2013, 05:11 PM   #16
Techjunkie666
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: X5D SAV

Quote:
Quote:

-Nick
In that case I would get a pre purchase inspection and also do an oil analysis once you purchase it.

Good luck with the purchase!
      09-15-2013, 08:17 PM   #17
Cool Steel
Banned
Rep
Drives: M3 E92 ZCP DCT

If the BMW dealership is not far from the dealer....
Tell him that you will put a deposit on the car.
With the stipulation that you can take it to the local BMW for an inspection.
BMW may try to void the warranty with no service done on the vehicle, they may also have a way to see how many times the previous owner launched it. Those two things: no service and tons of launches will leave you with BMW trying to get out of possible repairs and not honoring the warranty! DCT is not cheap to get it repaired - in any way....the 5 to 8k you save initially will be sucked up later in repair costs....

Be careful....make sure BMW will honor the warranty first before you buy this car.

By the way check out CarMax.com they will do an in house transfer between stores with no risk to you. You will have to pay a transfer cost but I would rather do that then buy a car that has no service history with BMW...
Appreciate 0
      09-15-2013, 08:29 PM   #18
FVM3
Major General
Rep
Drives: e92 m3, f30 328i

look for another rone
Appreciate 0
      09-15-2013, 09:35 PM   #19
slicer
Major General
Rep
Drives: 'E46 M3 Race Car, '23 X7

Something is wrong with the car and its under warranty. Find out what's wrong, try to get service history (at least verbally), call more dealerships until you find the one that actually serviced the car, confirm warranty is in place, make your decision based on the facts. I don't think this is a run away situation like others have suggested.
'04 M3 - Fall Line Motorsports Built Race Car - S65 swap, Dry Sump, Bosch Stand-Alone ECU, Drenth Sequential Trans, MCS 3-Way, Flossmann Wide Body, Brembo Motorsports Brakes, Drexler LSD, BBS E88 Etc.
INSTAGRAM - @Slicer_M
Appreciate 0
      09-15-2013, 10:15 PM   #20
e46m3to135i
Private First Class
United_States
Rep

Everyone, just to be clear on a couple things:

On the island of Oahu(Hawaii). There is only 1 dealership. BMW of Honolulu, and for a lack of better terms they are crap. They will always be crap because they are the only dealer that is available for warranty work here. They don't care if there customers are happy with the service they provide, because frankly the customers don't have anywhere else to take their cars that need scheduled maintenance or warranty work. Its a monopoly type thing.

There are no CarMax's here. That's not even a option.

As I've said before. I wont even seriously consider buying this car until I see in black and white that it has a valid current BMW NA warranty.

I'm not dying to get this car and won't put myself in a bad position either. Is it a great looking car, to say yes would be a huge understatement. It just happens to be a car that I've been eyeing for the past few years and its priced right where I need it to be since I'm a little upside down on my trade.

BMW of Honolulu quoted me $450 for the PPI.

Appreciate 0
      09-16-2013, 08:21 AM   #21
rpl77
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2011 E92 M3 AW

What I did when I bought my car preowned was to call another BMW dealer and ask them to run the service history. I called 4 different ones on vehicles I was interested in and all were very helpful.
Good luck.
      09-16-2013, 09:06 AM   #22
soniczoom5
S65 FTW!!!
Rep
Drives: 2011 E90 BMW M3 Silverstone

Garage List
2014 Mercedes  [0.00]
2020 X5 M50i  [0.00]
def should not stall!

Quote:
Hey everyone.

2010 E92 M3
20,500 miles
DCT
Melbourne Red
Black Leather
Competition Package
Premium Package
PDC
$42,888

Here are my questions:

Thanks in advance!!

-Nick
Appreciate 0