E90Post

The Tire Rack

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > BMW E90/E92/E93 3-series General Forums > General E90 Sedan / E91 Wagon / E92 Coupe / E93 Cabrio > New 330i Owner....Just A Few Questions

04-01-2012, 09:05 AM   #1
CLKFAN
Private
United_States
Rep
Drives: F10 528

New 330i Owner....Just A Few Questions

Hello All,

My Brother just bought a 2006 330i last night and since he's not an active forum member I thought I would ask a few questions for him.

Speed limit light comes on after 6 mph. How can he change it? I read the manual but couldn't find it. Maybe he will find it on his own later today I just couldn't stay all night at his house looking for it.

What can he expect with regard to issues...the good and the bad?

I told my Brother to join on this forum and all the other BMW forums so he can get better acquainted with his new BMW venture because it's quite nice to own one but as all BMW owners know they can be a pain to deal with as well if you get a bad apple.

I've been modding European cars for along time but I'm not familiar with the E90 and all of it's quarks so your feedback will be greatly appreciated.
Appreciate 0
      04-01-2012, 10:01 AM   #2
bob.g
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2006 325xi

few issues on the 06.

1) Problem with the steering column locks where they wont disengage. if that happens you will need a newer steering column that doesnt have the locks

2) engine ticking, there's a huge thread on it. sounds like a loud metal on metal tap in the engine. getting that repaired would need a new head which will cost thousands out of warranty.

3) sticky door handles. You pull on the handle and it pops out, stays popped out for a second and then pops back in place.

4) the passenger side airbag sensor

5) a lot of ppl bring up issues with door locks

thats pretty much it off the top of my head. go get yer fluids changed, especially the transmission fluid. It's a lifetime fill which means it's supposed to be good for 100k miles but anyone who plans on keeping the car for a long time should do get that taken care of at about 50-60k. a new trans on the car will cost you good 5k plus labor. BUT, if yer already past 100k you might be better off not changing the fluid at all, might do more harm then good.
Appreciate 0
      04-01-2012, 11:56 AM   #3
Tom K.
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: '07 328iT, '13 Boxster

Quote:
Originally Posted by CLKFAN View Post
Hello All,

My Brother just bought a 2006 330i last night and since he's not an active forum member I thought I would ask a few questions for him.

Speed limit light comes on after 6 mph. How can he change it? I read the manual but couldn't find it. Maybe he will find it on his own later today I just couldn't stay all night at his house looking for it.
From my '07 manual:

Speed limit
You can enter a speed, and a Check Control
message will indicate when you reach this
speed. This enables you, for example, to
receive warnings if you exceed a speed limit in
an urban area.
You are only warned of reaching this speed a
second time if your vehicle speed falls below it
again by at least 3 mph or 5 km/h.

iDrive, for operating principle refer to page

Open the start menu.

Call up "Navigation".

Select "Car Data" and press the controller.

Select "Limit" and press the controller.
Setting or changing the limit

Select speed value and press the controller.

Turn the controller to set the limit.

Press the controller to apply the setting.
Applying your current speed as limit
Select "Select current speed" and press the
controller. The system adopts your current
speed as the limit.
Activating the limit
Select "On" and press the controller.
Limit is activated.

If your brother's 330i does not have iDrive/Navi, have him look up "Speed Limit" in the manual.

Tom
Appreciate 0
      04-01-2012, 09:58 PM   #4
CLKFAN
Private
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by bob.g View Post
few issues on the 06.

1) Problem with the steering column locks where they wont disengage. if that happens you will need a newer steering column that doesnt have the locks

2) engine ticking, there's a huge thread on it. sounds like a loud metal on metal tap in the engine. getting that repaired would need a new head which will cost thousands out of warranty.

3) sticky door handles. You pull on the handle and it pops out, stays popped out for a second and then pops back in place.

thats pretty much it off the top of my head. go get yer fluids changed, especially the transmission fluid. It's a lifetime fill which means it's supposed to be good for 100k miles but anyone who plans on keeping the car for a long time should do get that taken care of at about 50-60k. a new trans on the car will cost you good 5k plus labor. BUT, if yer already past 100k you might be better off not changing the fluid at all, might do more harm then good.

He did get a 5 year or 100k mile warranty so he's covered for that tranny if it goes out as well as the head issues if it comes up. I think I may have heard the ticking sound last night but it didn't sound so pronounced, sounded like a normal 3.0 i6 engine.

The warranty kicked in as soon as he left the car lot so I guess we'll look into more stuff and the steering column as well.

Thanks for the info

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tom K. View Post
From my '07 manual:

Speed limit
You can enter a speed, and a Check Control
message will indicate when you reach this
speed. This enables you, for example, to
receive warnings if you exceed a speed limit in
an urban area.
You are only warned of reaching this speed a
second time if your vehicle speed falls below it
again by at least 3 mph or 5 km/h.

iDrive, for operating principle refer to page

Open the start menu.

Call up "Navigation".

Select "Car Data" and press the controller.

Select "Limit" and press the controller.
Setting or changing the limit

Select speed value and press the controller.

Turn the controller to set the limit.

Press the controller to apply the setting.
Applying your current speed as limit
Select "Select current speed" and press the
controller. The system adopts your current
speed as the limit.
Activating the limit
Select "On" and press the controller.
Limit is activated.

If your brother's 330i does not have iDrive/Navi, have him look up "Speed Limit" in the manual.

Tom
Tom thanks for the info...he called me this morning and told me he found it last night through his idrive
Appreciate 0
      04-01-2012, 10:01 PM   #5
CLKFAN
Private
United_States
Rep

Also, what's the feedback on the most comfy drop spring out there for the E90? I would assume the B&G's are because of the progressive spring rate but I'd like to know first hand. I guess I'll search the forum as well.
Appreciate 0
      04-02-2012, 11:09 AM   #6
dcat151
Lieutenant
Wales
Rep
Drives: 2006 330i 6MT ZSP/ZPP/ZCW

The only other issue I'm aware of aside from what's been mentioned is the rear window regulators. These seem to go out on a lot of cars. I know my passenger-side rear window regulator went out several months ago, and I think several other people have had theirs go out as well.
Appreciate 0
      04-02-2012, 02:08 PM   #7
Alpineweiss e90
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: AW 330xi

Quote:
Originally Posted by bob.g View Post
few issues on the 06.

+1 and to further add:

TSB for leaking windshield cowl cover....causes AC blower motor to squeak, eventually fail. Wet passenger floor.

Issue microswitch in gear shift lever assembly. Can cause trans fault and/or prevent you from using DS or M mode.
Appreciate 0
      04-02-2012, 03:15 PM   #8
CLKFAN
Private
United_States
Rep

thanks a lot for all the feedback and info. I'll send this over to my little Brother so he can review it. And tell him to join the forum.
Appreciate 0