F30POST
F30POST
2012-2015 BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum (F30 / F32) | F30POST > 2012-2019 BMW 3 and 4-Series Forums > General F30 Sedan / F32 Coupe / F36 Gran Coupe Forum > dealership can refuse to serve a customer if they feel like it
Extreme Powerhouse

11-12-2015, 11:16 PM   #23
DHS
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: '16 X1, '15 435i & '98 Z3

I would have told you we are no longer interested in your business long before he did. 2nd hand aftermarket parts are a disaster waiting to happen. 10 to 1 it never worked.
Appreciate 0
      11-13-2015, 05:53 AM   #24
rolltidef32
National Championship #17 and Counting!
Rep
Drives: 2018 BMW i3s and 2019 X5

Quote:
Originally Posted by hummali
man i can do all this in my garage. And i am never going back there. My issue is how is this possible. This is American dude. How can you sell a product and say

"there's a warranty on it or hey we know it has issues but if something goes wrong, u can bring it to our shops and we will repair it either for free or a small charge"

And then when your customer goes to the shop the shop says bugger off, we can do whatever we want. This has to be illegal man. Corporate America can't be this corrupt.
Something tells me that you're not telling the story exactly as it happened.

Either you have a lot more aftermarket crap on your car. (Yes, I said crap because most of the stuff out there is), or your actions were a bit more alarming to the business than you let on.

Want to help boost your believability? Post some pics of this car; include some under the hood shots too.

If there was a mechanical issue and the parts were all OEM under this hood, no way a dealership would charge you anything to work on it while under warranty.

Packs: Technology, Driver Assistance, HK Audio, Park Distance Control
Appreciate 0
      11-13-2015, 06:13 AM   #25
smithf80
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: G80 M3 6MT

Garage List
2022 G20 330i  [9.00]
2018 F80 M3  [9.75]
Seems to me like you're a difficult customer, I don't blame them.
      11-13-2015, 06:20 AM   #26
Brian_R
Private
United_States
Rep
Drives: 16 340, 08 H3 Alpha, 04 TSX

Swap the trunk lid back to factory before taking it to the next place. That way you avoid the situation.
Appreciate 0
      11-13-2015, 07:55 AM   #27
BavarianFanatic
Too much is never enough
United_States
Rep
Drives: Too Many

Quote:
Originally Posted by rolltidef32 View Post
Something tells me that you're not telling the story exactly as it happened.

Either you have a lot more aftermarket crap on your car. (Yes, I said crap because most of the stuff out there is), or your actions were a bit more alarming to the business than you let on.

Want to help boost your believability? Post some pics of this car; include some under the hood shots too.

If there was a mechanical issue and the parts were all OEM under this hood, no way a dealership would charge you anything to work on it while under warranty.
Here's the sordid tale...

http://f30.bimmerpost.com/forums/sho....php?t=1189542
Appreciate 0
      11-13-2015, 08:02 AM   #28
SCOTT26
Major General
Rep
Drives: A big F-off German Truck.

If your car is affected mechanically by The aftermarket.
Then BMW will void your warranty. This is the reason why many Aftermarket companies have to include a warranty. As manufacturers went and continue (BMW included) to legally go after them.
It also why BMW M Performance was conceived. To offer customers the exception from the actual manufacturer.
      11-13-2015, 09:21 AM   #29
hummali
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: N/A

I love the speculation up here.
willing to believe I'm at fault or a difficult person or not telling the whole story rather than the other way around. That's cool man. do your thing.
As far as racism, I am muslim... and brown... and this is texas, so the thought did cross my mind because all I had done was ask questions. Could this have annoyed the service manager sure. but was I rude or out of line, absolutely not. so yes, I did think about him just not wanting to deal with me on that basis but then i'd be speculating and I rather not. In the end, I wasn't even offended. He did what he needed to do.
And warranty or no warranty is not my issue eiter. I can do all this in my garage and have a friend who works for a dealership on the east coast who can get me parts for 40% the cost.
All I wanted to know was if the manufacturer would be willing to back its customers up or accommodate me if service is denied for any reason. And the answer is no, not here in America. And having lived in UK, UAE and Germany where BMW treats you like a god, this was a shock to me.
Anywhooooo... thank you for your responses.
Appreciate 0
      11-13-2015, 11:24 AM   #30
smithf80
Major General
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2022 G20 330i  [9.00]
2018 F80 M3  [9.75]
Quote:
Originally Posted by hummali View Post
willing to believe I'm at fault or a difficult person or not telling the whole story rather than the other way around. That's cool man. do your thing.
As far as racism, I am muslim... and brown... and this is texas, so the thought did cross my mind because all I had done was ask questions. Could this have annoyed the service manager sure. but was I rude or out of line, absolutely not. so yes, I did think about him just not wanting to deal with me on that basis but then i'd be speculating and I rather not. In the end, I wasn't even offended. He did what he needed to do.
And warranty or no warranty is not my issue eiter. I can do all this in my garage and have a friend who works for a dealership on the east coast who can get me parts for 40% the cost.
All I wanted to know was if the manufacturer would be willing to back its customers up or accommodate me if service is denied for any reason. And the answer is no, not here in America. And having lived in UK, UAE and Germany where BMW treats you like a god, this was a shock to me.

In your old thread you had him willing to replace the bracket with him basically guaranteeing that it would fix it, and instead of letting him just do (and fail, therefore still leaving him liable) you went and screwed yourself.
      11-13-2015, 11:36 AM   #31
bad karma
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2015 328i F31 M-Sport

Here's a not-so-secret I can tell you about dealerships, and businesses in general, after several years of working for and owning small businesses:

They want your money. Badly.

I have turned away customers probably fewer than five times, and every single one of those times they were acting either entitled, aggressive, or batshit insane. I have a very hard time believing a business would turn down money from a paying customer if you didn't fall into one of those categories.
Appreciate 2
      11-13-2015, 01:40 PM   #32
BavarianFanatic
Too much is never enough
United_States
Rep
Drives: Too Many

Quote:

You really need to stop playing the victim here if you want to be taken seriously. You didn't "just" ask questions. You went way beyond that when you continued to badger the guy who had already agreed to fix it for you. By continuing to question what he was telling you, you straight up expressed that you didn't trust him and implied that he was lying. Any reasonable person would come to the same conclusion that you, without a shadow of a doubt, would be impossible to satisfy. You continue to prove that fact with these posts. Making statements that say you're innocent doesn't make you innocent.

And, really, you're going to play the race card with this? You've made your own bed. You need step back, set aside the entitled attitude, and realign your reality with the rest of the world.
Appreciate 3
      11-13-2015, 01:57 PM   #33
rking117
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: Z4 3.0i & 320i

Quote:
Originally Posted by gpjustinn View Post
Unfortunately, what BMWNA said is true. It's not always the best business practice, but pretty much any business can refuse service to whomever they please without reason...
Unless your LGBT, a minority or some other affiliation and say they discriminated against you due to that reason. Looks at the case recently where the cake shop declined to serve a patron because of their sexual orientation. they got sued and lost. Now dont go suing claiming to be gay or anything if you are not and if they didnt discriminate. wink wink.

So in other words there are limitations as to why they do not want to serve you at least is some states.
      11-13-2015, 03:53 PM   #34
Bob in IL
Major
Rep
Drives: 2024 G01 X3, 2019 G30 5 Series

Quote:
Originally Posted by smithf32 View Post
In your old thread you had him willing to replace the bracket with him basically guaranteeing that it would fix it, and instead of letting him just do (and fail, therefore still leaving him liable) you went and screwed yourself.
In these stories there are always two sides to them and we usually only hear one side. I'd love to see the dealership weigh in.
Appreciate 1
      11-13-2015, 04:17 PM   #35
QuikSilver_
Captain
No_Country
Rep
Drives: 2016 F36 M Sport

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by tex2670 View Post
They just let any Joe Schmoe in the UK walk in and test drive an M3? I tried that when I was in college with a Mitsubishi Eclipse Turbo (I know--but it was a hot car back then, I swear). Even though I pulled up in my dad's Acura, the salesman told me I could test drive it after I put a deposit down--he knew damn well what I was up to.
Lol! Before I leased my F30 last year (first BMW), I went to used Kia dealership to test drive a 2011 E90, and the sales guy would not stop bringing up my age! I had just turned 23, and he was like, "Damn, you're only 23 and you already want a BMW??" I swear he must have mentioned it about five times.

As for the drive, he got behind the wheel first and drove down the access road to the first light and turned around, and "let" me drive back to the dealership. And tbh, the car was in horrible condition. Poor thing...
      11-13-2015, 04:19 PM   #36
rolltidef32
National Championship #17 and Counting!
Rep
Drives: 2018 BMW i3s and 2019 X5

Bavarian fanatic Thank you for pointing to the earlier post; I knew the story was only half cocked.

Also agree with the guy who's owned a small business. Not often that you turn reasonable people away.

I'm sure his "questions" as he says, were more than he's sharing. We are an intelligent group here, as I'm repeatedly impressed by the core guys on this forum, which is why I'm here and the quality of the forum is so strong.

Basically, we see through this BS. Yes, a business can refuse you. Also, this isn't warranty work because the customer warranty agreement was broken when an aftermarket part was installed.

Just take responsibility. We don't need to know the dirty details. Insurance companies aren't there when you have a wreck, yet they do find a way to draw a reasonable conclusion based on evidence present.

So did we.

Packs: Technology, Driver Assistance, HK Audio, Park Distance Control
Appreciate 0
      11-13-2015, 07:12 PM   #37
smithf80
Major General
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2022 G20 330i  [9.00]
2018 F80 M3  [9.75]
I think we should get these guys involved, since this guy appears to be a victim and there is so much butthurt:

11-14-2015, 06:22 AM   #38
Wakka
but no flokka
United_States
Rep
Drives: M2C

Uhhh Blast them on social media. Review them poorly, and warn any potential customers how they deal with customers. I would also put a call into their service manager and explain the situation.
Appreciate 0
      11-14-2015, 07:04 AM   #39
CIWS
Moon Parasite
United_States
Rep
Drives: F98 X4M Competition

AutoBahn in Ft.Worth simply sucks balls. Consider it a blessing they don't want your case, and do as Wakka suggested.

2020 X4M Comp. (currently stock) - Was 2015 335 MSport -MPPK -Borla ATAK -Dinan Sport+ - E.R. Charge pipe / 2013 X1 35i Sport - Dinan tune / 2009 X6 50i Dinan badged
Appreciate 0
      11-14-2015, 10:17 AM   #40
jd_perspective
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2016 X3 35i M-Sport

had that problem when i owned a nissan too. brand new car with severe transmission problems. the dealer basically told me "do not come back" after I kept bringing it back for them to try and fix the problem. ultimately got nissan to lemon the fucking shit box.

2019 440i Coupe M-Sport - Retired
2018 330i Sedan M-Sport - Retired
2015 428i Gran Coupe M-Sport - Retired
Appreciate 0
      11-29-2015, 09:46 PM   #41
azzurro
Banned
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2013 335i M Sport

Quote:
man i can do all this in my garage. And i am never going back there. My issue is how is this possible. This is American dude. How can you sell a product and say

"there's a warranty on it or hey we know it has issues but if something goes wrong, u can bring it to our shops and we will repair it either for free or a small charge"

And then when your customer goes to the shop the shop says bugger off, we can do whatever we want. This has to be illegal man. Corporate America can't be this corrupt.
It's not illegal and why America is great. A business can refuse service to anyone. The bigger an idiot you are the quicker they will show you the road.

Your company can get rid of you for any reason also. It's called "employment at will". Try being an idiot at work and they'll get rid of you too. Unions & labor boards can delay things a bit but in the end you'll be gone. This is how things should be.
Appreciate 0
      12-01-2015, 04:02 PM   #42
hummali
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: N/A

Update:
Went to a different dealership (Arlington). Rep had the GM come over. Both said they get this camera problem all the time and its either the wire or the cable and that it had nothing to do with the after market trunk.
Within a few hours I got a call back saying it was the camera and they have had it replaced under warranty.
Appreciate 0
      12-01-2015, 04:56 PM   #43
ronanz
Gettin It Figured Out
United_States
Rep
Drives: 435i FBO PS2 bm3 w/ options

Quote:
Update:
Went to a different dealership (Arlington). Rep had the GM come over. Both said they get this camera problem all the time and its either the wire or the cable and that it had nothing to do with the after market trunk.
Within a few hours I got a call back saying it was the camera and they have had it replaced under warranty.
Great to hear! Looks like you may have found your dealer!

My Build Thread can be found HERE
Appreciate 0
      12-01-2015, 07:16 PM   #44
CIWS
Moon Parasite
United_States
Rep
Drives: F98 X4M Competition

Quote:
Update:
Great to hear, I assume this was BMW of Arlington or Moritz ?

2020 X4M Comp. (currently stock) - Was 2015 335 MSport -MPPK -Borla ATAK -Dinan Sport+ - E.R. Charge pipe / 2013 X1 35i Sport - Dinan tune / 2009 X6 50i Dinan badged
Appreciate 0