F30POST
F30POST
2012-2015 BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum (F30 / F32) | F30POST > BIMMERPOST Universal Forums > Off-Topic Discussions Board > Friend needs help acquiring parts of uniform for veteran mother’s burial
ARMA SPEED

07-02-2021, 07:57 PM   #1
RelaxIN2
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2012 BMW M3 E93

Garage List
Friend needs help acquiring parts of uniform for veteran mother’s burial

Hey guys... I need your help. A close friend of mine’s mother just passed away at 92 years of age. In short, she lives down in Florida and she fell in a parking lot about 2 weeks ago and broke her hip. she had surgery to fix her hip, and due to post surgery complications, passed this Wednesday.

She and her husband who has also passed are both Veterans and my buddy is having her sent back to PA where they grew up. He wants to have her in full dress with all of her medals and honors. He was able to locate all but two items for her uniform.

- USN US Army Female Rank Black Necktie Necktab for Service Dress Uniforms
- US Army Shoulder Straps Warrant Officer 3 Transportation - Female

He told me that he was able to find these on ebay however, it would be 3 weeks before they get here, which would be to late for the services. Does anyone have any connections or idea's where he might be able to purchase these items.

Any direction would be greatly appreciated. It would mean a lot to him to have her in full dress for the services.

Thanks guys..!
Appreciate 2
nerdogray1345.00
zx10guy5159.50
      07-03-2021, 06:31 AM   #2
xxTHIR13ENxx
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: M6 Gran Coupe

Sorry to hear about his loss. Very similar scenario happened to my grandma last year..

Has he tried contacting the seller(s) on eBay and asking if expedited or next-day delivery options are available? Given the circumstances, if he's willing to go into a bit of detail, they may even work out a deal on shipping fees.

Just my 2cents, of course.
Again, my condolences.
Appreciate 2
RelaxIN2514.00
      07-03-2021, 06:42 AM   #3
Samurai of 2day
Major
Rep
Drives: '22 X6M/'21 S1Krr

Sorry for your friend's and family's loss

When are these items needed by, at the latest?

I may be able to find these items at the PX on my installation when they open later today.

A contingency is for me to order it online through AFEES and then have it delivered to an address of your choice.

Let know. You can always PM me with the address for shipping. that would be the quickest route to take.
RelaxIN2514.00
      07-03-2021, 08:11 AM   #4
M-technik-3
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: E30 M3, E36 M3, 328iT, 335i

Garage List
1995 M3  [9.00]
2007 E91  [7.25]
1988 M3  [9.50]
Contact the VA, they will help her family obtain the proper service dress and medals & awards she has earned plus they can send out someone to play taps. VA is on tight budget but they do put an effort forth.

https://www.va.gov/burials-memorials/

Went through this with my father, he had nothing set up, he was Vietnam. I have my stuff documented for my significant other, she has all my awards and so forth plus my service uniform.
Appreciate 3
      07-03-2021, 08:48 AM   #5
RelaxIN2
Second Lieutenant
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by Samurai of 2day View Post

I may be able to find these items at the PX on my installation when they open later today.

A contingency is for me to order it online through AFEES and then have it delivered to an address of your choice.

Let know. You can always PM me with the address for shipping. that would be the quickest route to take.
Hey Samurai... Thanks for reaching out. He's telling me that he needs them by this Friday, 7/9.... however, I dont see how that can even happen as they haven't scheduled any funeral arrangements, and, the body is still in Florida. I think it a little overwhelmed with everything... I'm just trying to settle him down and help him out..

If you can see if you can get the items first that would be great. Then I can let him know and we can take it from there... Thank you for all of your help...
Appreciate 1
      07-03-2021, 08:50 AM   #6
RelaxIN2
Second Lieutenant
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by M-technik-3 View Post
Contact the VA, they will help her family obtain the proper service dress and medals & awards she has earned plus they can send out someone to play taps. VA is on tight budget but they do put an effort forth.

https://www.va.gov/burials-memorials/

Went through this with my father, he had nothing set up, he was Vietnam. I have my stuff documented for my significant other, she has all my awards and so forth plus my service uniform.

That's a good point... I "assumed" that he already tried that... but I'll follow up with him as well..

Thanks..!
Appreciate 1
Dpc2u11503.00
      07-03-2021, 09:47 AM   #7
Samurai of 2day
Major
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by RelaxIN2 View Post
Quote:

Hey Samurai... Thanks for reaching out. He's telling me that he needs them by this Friday, 7/9.... however, I dont see how that can even happen as they haven't scheduled any funeral arrangements, and, the body is still in Florida. I think it a little overwhelmed with everything... I'm just trying to settle him down and help him out..

If you can see if you can get the items first that would be great. Then I can let him know and we can take it from there... Thank you for all of your help...
Think nothing of it!

Found the tie.... but unfortunately only CW5 shoulder strap for transportation available on the Exchange website

I can send the tie if you like and try again over the next few days on the shoulder strap. Like it was mentioned earlier, VA is a great resource as well.

Let me know if there's anything else I may do to help.
      07-03-2021, 11:13 AM   #8
RelaxIN2
Second Lieutenant
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Think nothing of it!

Found the tie.... but unfortunately only CW5 shoulder strap for transportation available on the Exchange website

I can send the tie if you like and try again over the next few days on the shoulder strap. Like it was mentioned earlier, VA is a great resource as well.

Thank you SO MUCH..!! - Can you give me an idea of what the total cost would be so I can relay the message to him. I did let him know about the VA as well, however, I have not heard back from him on the status.

Thank you again..!! and please let me know..

Rick
Appreciate 0
      07-03-2021, 11:33 AM   #9
Maynard
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 228iX & M2C

If these are vintage items and not for sale new, you could try reaching out to local DAV groups and/or Vietnam Veterans of America chapters to see if they have older Veteran nurses who might have the items. There is also an organization of VA nurses (IIRC they go by 'NOVA') that would likely have some old timers in the mix, or historians who collect uniforms. And I'd second the suggestions to reach out to VA; they coordinate a lot of very good resources and local supports like honor guards, and there is a Veteran burial benefit that may be available (I believe they would be able to be interred in a Veteran cemetery for free, and it may also pay for transport or other things).
Appreciate 0
      07-03-2021, 11:53 AM   #10
Samurai of 2day
Major
Rep

Quote:
Quote:
Think nothing of it!

Thank you SO MUCH..!! - Can you give me an idea of what the total cost would be so I can relay the message to him. I did let him know about the VA as well, however, I have not heard back from him on the status.

Thank you again..!! and please let me know..

Rick
Personally, I wouldn't even ask for reimbursement for something like this since it would be for honoring a fellow service member.

But to answer your question to go r an idea of cost, the tie if like 6 bucks, while the shoulder straps are a bit more expensive at 48 dollars.

If the services are being held in PA any where close to Fort Dix in NJ, it may be possible for me to link up with someone associated with your friend at a public location in that area and I can hand them the tie (and the shoulder straps if they become available in time)
      07-03-2021, 12:15 PM   #11
RelaxIN2
Second Lieutenant
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Personally, I wouldn't even ask for reimbursement for something like this since it would be for honoring a fellow service member.

But to answer your question to go r an idea of cost, the tie if like 6 bucks, while the shoulder straps are a bit more expensive at 48 dollars.

If the services are being held in PA any where close to Fort Dix in NJ, it may be possible for me to link up with someone associated with your friend at a public location in that area and I can hand them the tie (and the shoulder straps if they become available in time)
Again, thank you so much for your help and information. I'm waiting for him to reach back out to me to see where he's at with everything. While appreciative of the offer, I'm sure that he will want to pay for the items. Let me wait to hear back from him and hear what he has to say from the VA and then I'll follow up with.

Again, thank you..!
Appreciate 1
      07-03-2021, 01:56 PM   #12
Samurai of 2day
Major
Rep

Quote:
Quote:

Again, thank you so much for your help and information. I'm waiting for him to reach back out to me to see where he's at with everything. While appreciative of the offer, I'm sure that he will want to pay for the items. Let me wait to hear back from him and hear what he has to say from the VA and then I'll follow up with.

Again, thank you..!
Cool!

and don't worry about a thing. We'll see how this plays out and wishing the family all the best as they support each other during difficult times.

Stay safe out there!
      07-08-2021, 07:23 AM   #13
RelaxIN2
Second Lieutenant
Rep

Garage List
Hey guys... I just wanted to follow up. My buddy was able to contact the VA and he was able to get everything he needed. Actually the VA directed him to contact Fort Dix directly and they were able to accommodate.

Thanks again for everyone's input..!!
Appreciate 7
kscarrol8952.50
cmyx6go15851.50
Buug95918142.50
      07-08-2021, 12:05 PM   #14
Samurai of 2day
Major
Rep

Quote:
Hey guys... I just wanted to follow up. My buddy was able to contact the VA and he was able to get everything he needed. Actually the VA directed him to contact Fort Dix directly and they were able to accommodate.

Thanks again for everyone's input..!!
Glad to hear the conclusion is satisfactory!

wishing the family and friends of the departed the strength to support each other during these times.
      07-08-2021, 12:13 PM   #15
RelaxIN2
Second Lieutenant
Rep

Garage List
Thank you for the kind words. Having lost both of my parents already, I can only imagine what he is going through and just want to help out where I can..
Appreciate 1