E90Post

The Tire Rack

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > BMW E90/E92/E93 3-series General Forums > Regional Forums > USA - California > Lemforder VS TRW

03-06-2024, 01:36 PM   #1
heartsick
Registered
Rep
Drives: 2010 BMW 328I N51

Lemforder VS TRW

Hello Hello, back once again with some questions.

Just recently found that my passenger side thrust arm + bushing have gone out/bad, same with my lower control arm.

Looking to replace the two and noticed that EVERYWHERE for the TRW M3 upgrade is out of stock or set on a crazy backorder.

Noticed Lemforder is in stock at most places and was wondering if anyone had any experience with the lemforder control arms + thrust arms and what the quality of them are like.
Appreciate 0
      03-06-2024, 02:17 PM   #2
lowrydr310
Robot
Rep
Drives: 2006 330i, 2007 E93 335i

Quote:
Originally Posted by heartsick View Post
Hello Hello, back once again with some questions.

Just recently found that my passenger side thrust arm + bushing have gone out/bad, same with my lower control arm.

Looking to replace the two and noticed that EVERYWHERE for the TRW M3 upgrade is out of stock or set on a crazy backorder.

Noticed Lemforder is in stock at most places and was wondering if anyone had any experience with the lemforder control arms + thrust arms and what the quality of them are like.

Lemforder is a good brand, if I'm not mistaken they're the OE supplier for the non-M E9x tension struts and wishbones. But in the last few years they've shifted production of some of their stuff to different countries; not sure if that means anything in terms of quality however.

It looks like it's just the M3 TRW wishbones (control arms) that are out of stock. There were several posts on this forum documenting the fact that TRW switched production of the larger forward tension strut from Germany to Malaysia and the quality dropped. I have one of these Malaysian-made tension struts on my car (other one Made in Germany, installed at the same time) and so far there are no issues. I just looked at the FCP website and they show these Malaysian-made TRW M3 tension struts in stock, but I'm 99% sure the photos they show aren't the actual arms you get. The Malaysian ones don't have the yellow sticker, have a really dull matte finish, and the ball joint nut is junk and has no integrated washer.

Last edited by lowrydr310; 03-06-2024 at 02:24 PM..
Appreciate 1
      03-06-2024, 04:06 PM   #3
heartsick
Registered
Rep
Drives: 2010 BMW 328I N51

Quote:
Originally Posted by lowrydr310 View Post
Lemforder is a good brand, if I'm not mistaken they're the OE supplier for the non-M E9x tension struts and wishbones. But in the last few years they've shifted production of some of their stuff to different countries; not sure if that means anything in terms of quality however.

It looks like it's just the M3 TRW wishbones (control arms) that are out of stock. There were several posts on this forum documenting the fact that TRW switched production of the larger forward tension strut from Germany to Malaysia and the quality dropped. I have one of these Malaysian-made tension struts on my car (other one Made in Germany, installed at the same time) and so far there are no issues. I just looked at the FCP website and they show these Malaysian-made TRW M3 tension struts in stock, but I'm 99% sure the photos they show aren't the actual arms you get. The Malaysian ones don't have the yellow sticker, have a really dull matte finish, and the ball joint nut is junk and has no integrated washer.
Damn alright! Thanks for the response, looks like I'm going to be going with the Non M3 setup then.
Appreciate 0