E90Post

Extreme Powerhouse

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > BMW E90/E92/E93 3-series General Forums > General E90 Sedan / E91 Wagon / E92 Coupe / E93 Cabrio > Wiper woes - stops in the middle of windshield and will not restart unless...

05-01-2024, 08:25 AM   #1
CarManNJ
Rep
Drives: Too Many to count

Wiper woes - stops in the middle of windshield and will not restart unless...

Help me solve a wiper problem. (2007 335xi)

The wipers come of 4-5 times and stop in the middle of the windshield. If I do it a second time, the same thing happens. So 2 times and stop. I cannot get it restarted unless, I turn the car off and on again. Or while I drive after 15-20 min or something.

I have replaced the wiper relay - same problem.
Tested the wiper relay successfully.
No recent work

Last edited by CarManNJ; 05-02-2024 at 11:19 AM..
Appreciate 0
      05-01-2024, 02:49 PM   #2
Cal122
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2006 325i 2011 328i xDrive

Any stored codes?

There have been a handful of reports where the wiper wiring under the windshield cowl gets crushed by the center strut brace bolt and caused similar issues.

If you remove the plastic cap on the center of your windshield cowl, you should see the bolt and wiring there just to ensure the bolt wasn't tightened on top of the wiring and crushed during a previous repair (valve cover replacement, strut replacement, etc). Sometimes the tape holding the wiring in place fails and it'll fall down under the bolt and then be crushed when the bolt is tightened.

Here's a picture from my car (with the entire cowl removed) showing the wiring and the center bolt.
Attached Images

Last edited by Cal122; 05-01-2024 at 02:55 PM..
Appreciate 0
      05-02-2024, 12:11 PM   #3
CarManNJ
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cal122 View Post
Any stored codes?

There have been a handful of reports where the wiper wiring under the windshield cowl gets crushed by the center strut brace bolt and caused similar issues.

If you remove the plastic cap on the center of your windshield cowl, you should see the bolt and wiring there just to ensure the bolt wasn't tightened on top of the wiring and crushed during a previous repair (valve cover replacement, strut replacement, etc). Sometimes the tape holding the wiring in place fails and it'll fall down under the bolt and then be crushed when the bolt is tightened.

Here's a picture from my car (with the entire cowl removed) showing the wiring and the center bolt.
Thanks for your response.
No coded read.
I figured it would be something like this based on hours spent on this forum and elsewhere. but no such luck I looked yesterday. It's all clean, no pinching. I don't think it's the motor since it does work, but stops.
Appreciate 0
      05-05-2024, 09:49 PM   #4
BoxerBran128
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2011 BMW 335d

CarMan77

Were you able to diagnose what is wrong with your wipers? I am experiencing the same issue. Today they would not come on at all...
Appreciate 0
      05-06-2024, 08:34 AM   #5
CarManNJ
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by BoxerBran128 View Post
CarMan77

Were you able to diagnose what is wrong with your wipers? I am experiencing the same issue. Today they would not come on at all...
No, I did check wires from the motor, could not see anything pinched. I have been reading threads, left and right. Need to get a proper scanner to detect if there are any codes.
Appreciate 0
      05-06-2024, 09:07 AM   #6
BoxerBran128
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2011 BMW 335d

Which scanner are you currently using? I was just about to buy the ProTool from Bimmer Works.
Appreciate 0