BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

Go Back   BMW M3 and BMW M4 Forum > BMW F80 M3 / F82 M4 Technical Topics > Wheels | Tires -- Sponsored by The Tire Rack

04-10-2024, 04:55 PM   #23
NSX2M4
Major
Rep
Drives: 2019 M4 ZCP- RIVIAN R1S QUAD

Zomboss
Got the set installed this morning.

Bumpiness- It's back
Road noise- Definitely back!
Grip- Hard to say, but I think they're about tied with PS4S when brand new. BUT, I'm always in a hot climate...
Steering and handling- Definitely back to how this car should be. Razor sharp and predictable. No more sway from the soft sidewalls of the PS4S.

I did file a claim with Michelin and they're paying for 75% the cost of new rear PSS.
Swapped out all 4 tires even though the front PS4S had 1/2 tread left. No warranty on those.
Zomboss48.50
      04-11-2024, 12:54 AM   #24
Zomboss
Private
Rep
Drives: 2017 F80 ZCP DCT

Garage List
2017 BMW M3  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by NSX2M4 View Post
Zomboss
Got the set installed this morning.

Bumpiness- It's back
Road noise- Definitely back!
Grip- Hard to say, but I think they're about tied with PS4S when brand new. BUT, I'm always in a hot climate...
Steering and handling- Definitely back to how this car should be. Razor sharp and predictable. No more sway from the soft sidewalls of the PS4S.

I did file a claim with Michelin and they're paying for 75% the cost of new rear PSS.
Swapped out all 4 tires even though the front PS4S had 1/2 tread left. No warranty on those.
Lovely!

I had all generic PS4S and hated the mushy feel. Went with rear G80 PS4S* after I got a nail in one of the rears that couldn’t be repaired. Noticeable improvement in the rears, but still the mushy steering feel from the fronts. I will definitely make the switch back to OEM PSS* now. It’s been too long, and I miss the super responsive feeling of the PSS*.
Appreciate 0
      04-11-2024, 04:36 AM   #25
NSX2M4
Major
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zomboss View Post
Lovely!

I had all generic PS4S and hated the mushy feel. Went with rear G80 PS4S* after I got a nail in one of the rears that couldn’t be repaired. Noticeable improvement in the rears, but still the mushy steering feel from the fronts. I will definitely make the switch back to OEM PSS* now. It’s been too long, and I miss the super responsive feeling of the PSS*.
The PS4S are just really soft. If this was my only car, it might have been harder to go back. Lots of road noise on these.
I had these PSS tires for many years on a staggered set up on the old NSX.
      04-11-2024, 05:29 PM   #26
quikM2
Captain
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2017 Jahre M3

I need new rubber on mine as my original PSS are done. The PS4S rate better than the PSS so it's interesting to read these reviews. The Pilot Sport S 5 is now out but finding them in Canada in any sizes is currently impossible and I can't wait.

One question if anyone knows - Can you size up to a 295 for the rear or a wider size on the front over the stock 285 / 265 oem set up? Does it rub with stock suspension?
Appreciate 0
      04-11-2024, 05:41 PM   #27
NSX2M4
Major
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by quikM2 View Post
I need new rubber on mine as my original PSS are done. The PS4S rate better than the PSS so it's interesting to read these reviews. The Pilot Sport S 5 is now out but finding them in Canada in any sizes is currently impossible and I can't wait.

One question if anyone knows - Can you size up to a 295 for the rear or a wider size on the front over the stock 285 / 265 oem set up? Does it rub with stock suspension?
Not sure, but why would you go wider on the front? The traction problems are from the rear. The PS4S are really good tires. However, they were designed for other vehicles for the front and the G series for the rears only. The G series is generally a softer car even though quicker. The PSS star spec were designed specifically for this car.
Lastly, for all the peeps here looking for specific scientific data that suggests this, I have none! lol
In my, "opinion" the OE PSS are what this car needs to be wearing for a stock car.
      04-11-2024, 06:15 PM   #28
quikM2
Captain
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2017 Jahre M3

Quote:
Not sure, but why would you go wider on the front? The traction problems are from the rear. The PS4S are really good tires. However, they were designed for other vehicles for the front and the G series for the rears only. The G series is generally a softer car even though quicker. The PSS star spec were designed specifically for this car.
Lastly, for all the peeps here looking for specific scientific data that suggests this, I have none! lol
In my, "opinion" the OE PSS are what this car needs to be wearing for a stock car.
Thank you - makes sense. From some further reading it seems many with the comp f8* and the 666M wheels are running 295/30/20 on the rear and liking the look and more importantly the performance and grip. Most seem to run the standard 265 on the front but some have gone 275. As to tires the PSS are mostly discontinued so they are harder to find as the PS4S have replaced them and with the S5's coming soon and already out in europe etc. they will likely be even harder to find. The PSS did find that were available were actually quite a bit more expensive than the PS4S.
Appreciate 0
      04-11-2024, 06:40 PM   #29
NSX2M4
Major
Rep

Quote:
Thank you - makes sense. From some further reading it seems many with the comp f8* and the 666M wheels are running 295/30/20 on the rear and liking the look and more importantly the performance and grip. Most seem to run the standard 265 on the front but some have gone 275. As to tires the PSS are mostly discontinued so they are harder to find as the PS4S have replaced them and with the S5's coming soon and already out in europe etc. they will likely be even harder to find. The PSS did find that were available were actually quite a bit more expensive than the PS4S.
When I bought the PS4S, I had no option as the PSS were are backorder post pandemic. That is not the case now. Last week a full set of star spec was 1600 ish on tire rack and BMW dealers have in stock as well. I cannot comment on the wider rears though.
      04-11-2024, 10:17 PM   #30
omega2733
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: '17 F80 MGM

Quote:
Do not go 275 on 666M fronts, 275 is too wide for the standard wheel width and feels like garbage. Stick with 265/295
Appreciate 0
      04-13-2024, 03:42 PM   #31
NSX2M4
Major
Rep

quikM2
Don't see any available tires for the 20 inch set on the PSS5
      04-19-2024, 10:48 AM   #32
Zomboss
Private
Rep

Garage List
2017 BMW M3  [0.00]
I went ahead and ordered OEM PSS* for the fronts. Decided to keep the G80 PS4S* on the rears for now, since I’ve had them for only 10 months with decent tread remaining. Hopefully will have the PSS* mounted next week.
Appreciate 0
      04-26-2024, 06:31 PM   #33
Zomboss
Private
Rep

Garage List
2017 BMW M3  [0.00]
Got the OEM PSS* mounted on the fronts today. Wow, what a difference compared to the PS4S. Steering feels alive and responsive. Falling in love with my F80 again.

I kept the G80 PS4S* on the rears. Even though they are mismatched with the fronts, the feel of the PS4S* to me is closer to PSS* than the generic PS4S. Will need more driving time to see if I notice anything weird. But so far so good.
Appreciate 0
      04-27-2024, 11:57 AM   #34
NSX2M4
Major
Rep

Quote:
Got the OEM PSS* mounted on the fronts today. Wow, what a difference compared to the PS4S. Steering feels alive and responsive. Falling in love with my F80 again.

I kept the G80 PS4S* on the rears. Even though they are mismatched with the fronts, the feel of the PS4S* to me is closer to PSS* than the generic PS4S. Will need more driving time to see if I notice anything weird. But so far so good.
Nice. I think they might have changed the compounds a little bit. I seem to have a whole lot more grip than I had with brand new PSS* prior and even compared to the PS4S*. I've had a pretty tough time breaking the rears loose.
      Yesterday, 12:11 PM   #35
Zomboss
Private
Rep

Garage List
2017 BMW M3  [0.00]
The PSS* on the front feels so good! Very direct and instantaneous response. The sloppiness with the PS4S is eliminated and is replaced by stability that builds confidence. After some more driving time today, I’m happy with how well the PSS* fronts pair with the G80 PS4S* rears.
Appreciate 0
      Yesterday, 06:03 PM   #36
NSX2M4
Major
Rep

Quote:
The PSS* on the front feels so good! Very direct and instantaneous response. The sloppiness with the PS4S is eliminated and is replaced by stability that builds confidence. After some more driving time today, I’m happy with how well the PSS* fronts pair with the G80 PS4S* rears.
Yeah, they are some very very soft tires. Aside from the handling improvement, I just love how the PSS fit on the 666M wheels. It just looks high end and the PS4S looked like budget tires.
      Yesterday, 07:05 PM   #37
Zomboss
Private
Rep

Garage List
2017 BMW M3  [0.00]
Quote:
Yeah, they are some very very soft tires. Aside from the handling improvement, I just love how the PSS fit on the 666M wheels. It just looks high end and the PS4S looked like budget tires.
I have to agree with you on the looks. Definitely an upgrade as well in how they stretch just enough on the 666M.
Appreciate 0