Autotalent
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

Go Back   BMW M3 and BMW M4 Forum > BMW F80 M3 / F82 M4 Forum > BMW M3 (F80) and BMW M4 (F82) General Forum

06-04-2020, 06:39 AM   #1
Tintking
Private
Rep
Drives: 2016 M4 ZCP AY convertible

Tire wear/weird noise

I recently noticed very uneven wear on my rear driver side tire. On the inside edge you can just begin to see cords but still tread left on the rest of tire. Other tires all wearing evenly. Had an alignment done at BMW about 6 months/3000 miles ago. Ideas?

Also, a weird screeching noise started after I had 12mm spacers put on a few weeks ago...coming from that same wheel. Very inconsistent occurring at random times. For a couple seconds,a minute,forward,reverse,turning,straight, intermittent throughout the day, once a day. Could it have something to do with that “shield” thing ? What is that for?
Appreciate 0
      06-04-2020, 08:02 AM   #2
Buckeye///M
Private
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2017 M4 ZCP

That “shield thing” is a dust shield. It is to keep dust, dirt, rocks, etc from being thrown into the calipers. They are very thin and easily damaged I’d you are doing any work in this area. That is the first thing I would check for the noise.

As for the tire wear…I can’t imagine it being anything other than alignment. Do you have the post-alignment print out?
Appreciate 0
      06-04-2020, 08:03 AM   #3
///MCollection
First Lieutenant
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: M2C X5M M4

Garage List
2018 BMW M4  [0.00]
2019 BMW M2 Competi ...  [10.00]
2017 BMW X5M  [0.00]
The shield thing is to stop debris getting in there but can trap debris. It is a horrible noise if you get a stone stuck in there but the stone will usually grind away and fall out on its own. You could try a longish object and tap the shield away from the disc in a few places and see if anything drops out.
Appreciate 0