E90Post

Studio RSR

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90 / E92 / E93 3-series Technical Forums > Cosmetic and Lighting Modifications (exterior/interior) > Again...NEW E92 HEADLIGHT SET UP (teaser :D)

09-21-2014, 07:24 PM   #1
mythek
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2008 335i Coupe TIAG

Again...NEW E92 HEADLIGHT SET UP (teaser :D)

Hi everyone, a while ago, i posted this thread to show off my customized OSS style headlights

I was pretty happy with that set up, but then I fell in love at first sight when I saw OSS Raptor V2 rings on psmitty95's headlights. I immediately ordered a set of white rings and one set of RGB changeable color led (by remote) for the new project. Unfortunately, the package got lost during transit and I'm still waiting for the seller to resend it again. So that project has been put to the side for weeks I will definitely share some photos of that when I get them Anyway...that leads us to...

Today, as I'm finishing up with customization of a buddy's e92 headlights.....Once again, I immediately fell in love with this set up and decided to keep it as mine This thread is a little teaser of the headlights before I reseal them.

a few reasons why I love it so much more than I expected:

1) new led rings that are truly gapless (more OEM looking), brighter, and less flickering
2) the blue demon eyes is so subtle and it goes really well with my car's color.
3) second photo shows how the demon eyes automatically turns itself off when low beam is on.
4) no photos yet, but the housing is blacked out with a pretty cool color (HINT: it's not your ordinary blackout housing
5) clear projector lens
Attached Images

Last edited by mythek; 09-21-2014 at 07:40 PM..
Appreciate 0
      09-21-2014, 07:25 PM   #2
mythek
Captain
United_States
Rep

This is reserved for updates

lol at my amazing photos....the last two photos seem so damn dry...camera cant pick up the clear coat
Attached Images

Last edited by mythek; 09-27-2014 at 07:35 PM..
Appreciate 0
      09-22-2014, 10:40 PM   #3
mythek
Captain
United_States
Rep

it's so hard to take good photos that captures what the human eyes actually see with camera phone. This weekend i'm meeting up with my buddy who is a professional photographer to take some real photos that showcase the quality of paint (plus the result of the time i invested in wet sanding with 2000 grit) and show you how beautiful these look ^___^

Notice the tiny specks on the paint from the third photo, they create a really nice rainbow-color-changing effect when under bright light. You can only notice it up close. Otherwise it looks just like an ordinary matte black. My horrible photos seriously don't give it any justice.

Believe it or not, but my lowbeam is actually off in the last two photos. These new rings are so damn bright that I seriously can not capture what the human eyes can see in person. Maybe my buddy's professional equipments can capture it
Appreciate 0
      09-23-2014, 12:24 AM   #4
mikex25
Major
Rep
Drives: Grey thing

Those don't look like Umnitza rings, but they look great! Very clean job
Appreciate 0
      09-23-2014, 12:51 AM   #5
GATORSHOES2
Private
Rep
Drives: E92 08 335i

Nice man looks great. Need some daylight pictures ASAP! Did you just mount them to the existing rings?
      09-23-2014, 01:12 AM   #6
mythek
Captain
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by mikex25 View Post
Those don't look like Umnitza rings, but they look great! Very clean job
Thanks for the compliment I've never said that i use umnitza rings. Unless umnitza starts to design and make their own rings, I don't think I can ever allow myself paying for those crazily marked up prices. I got connection that can get me anything that umnitza's selling but at a fraction of their prices.

Quote:
Originally Posted by GATORSHOES2 View Post
Nice man looks great. Need some daylight pictures ASAP! Did you just mount them to the existing rings?
Yessir, I was going to do that earlier this morning but never had the chance to do it. I will definitely be doing that tomorrow morning. ANd i'm supposed to meet up with my photographer buddy tomorrow night too ^_^ so expect more photos from me

and I only mount it onto the smaller stock rings becuz I need its clips to retain the lens. For the larger rings I just create a custom mounting bracket
Appreciate 0
      09-23-2014, 12:20 PM   #7
bacardi198
Yolo
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2013 335i EBII

Those look like COB LEDs on the rings, usually what looks seamless/gapless and really bright. Set looks great either way though bud.

Can you PM me pricing on a set of the rings if possible?
Appreciate 0
      09-23-2014, 09:41 PM   #8
staplescenter
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2008 E92 328i

Nice man! We're waiting for them pics!
Appreciate 0
      09-23-2014, 10:35 PM   #9
datbimmer
Wastegate Rattle
Canada
Rep
Drives: 335i m6t nav sport

Also waiting for more pics and if possible price for these rings by PM. Thanks.
Appreciate 0
      09-27-2014, 07:33 PM   #10
mythek
Captain
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by datbimmer View Post
Also waiting for more pics and if possible price for these rings by PM. Thanks.
just for you, sir

also just attached some photos of the new LED rings (similar to OSS Raptor V2 or Umnitza Orion DTM rings) that were delayed for over a month oversea. A local shop is helping me with making the covers for these rings.... i'm super excited for that project

Here's a little video of some of the different modes/colors of the rgb rings. You can change the brightness of each color too (lol at the beginning of the video, I forgot that IR is unidirectional)

Attached Images

Last edited by mythek; 09-27-2014 at 07:52 PM..
Appreciate 0
      09-29-2014, 08:49 AM   #11
dwells
ಠ_ಠ
United_States
Rep
Drives: Monaco Blue 335i coupe

What rings are you running? Judging by the yellowness, I'm guessing they're COB? Let me know how they hold up, I've heard a lot about those COB units having heat and power management issues and failing pretty easily.

Last edited by dwells; 09-30-2014 at 12:17 PM..
Appreciate 0
      09-29-2014, 03:42 PM   #12
mythek
Captain
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by dwells View Post
What rings are you running? Judging by the yellowness, I'm guessing they're COB? Let me know how they hold up, I've heard a lot about those COB units having power heat and power management and failing pretty easily.
Where did u hear "a lot" about these cob led rings failing? I can tell you heat is not going to be a problem.... I've let the led rings on for about an hr and barely feel a little heat. The heat problems most likely come from cheap metal resistors used with the led. My resistors have plastic exterior, so they won't burn any internal parts or wires that they come in contact with. Do you know what type of resistors were used in these failing cob rings?
Appreciate 0
      09-30-2014, 12:17 PM   #13
dwells
ಠ_ಠ
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by mythek View Post
Where did u hear "a lot" about these cob led rings failing? I can tell you heat is not going to be a problem.... I've let the led rings on for about an hr and barely feel a little heat.
HIDplanet amongst many other sources. While the unit may run cool on it's own, it's a different story inside a sealed headlight with no ventilation and HID and other bulbs generating heat. Add in passive heat conduction from the engine bay and you have a drastically different environment than a test bench.

Quote:
The heat problems most likely come from cheap metal resistors used with the led. My resistors have plastic exterior, so they won't burn any internal parts or wires that they come in contact with. Do you know what type of resistors were used in these failing cob rings?
The exterior jacket of the resistor isn't really relevant. I assume by "plastic exterior" resistor you're referring to through-hole axial resistors. It doesn't really make a difference compared to an SMD resistor when it comes to heat dissipation, as heat dissipation is a constant of current and voltage (P = V^2/R). You may have some variance in terms of thermal conductivity/insulation in how ambient temp is affected, but nothing drastic.

For example, a 1.5k ohm resistor connected to a 12v source is going to generate 96mW of heat no matter what. P = (12*12)/1500 = .096W = 9.6mW.
      09-30-2014, 01:18 PM   #14
mythek
Captain
United_States
Rep

Quote:
HIDplanet amongst many other sources. While the unit may run cool on it's own, it's a different story inside a sealed headlight with no ventilation and HID and other bulbs generating heat. Add in passive heat conduction from the engine bay and you have a drastically different environment than a test bench.

The exterior jacket of the resistor isn't really relevant. I assume by "plastic exterior" resistor you're referring to through-hole axial resistors. It doesn't really make a difference compared to an SMD resistor when it comes to heat dissipation, as heat dissipation is a constant of current and voltage (P = V^2/R). You may have some variance in terms of thermal conductivity/insulation in how ambient temp is affected, but nothing drastic.

For example, a 1.5k ohm resistor connected to a 12v source is going to generate 96mW of heat no matter what. P = (12*12)/1500 = .096W = 9.6mW.
I must be blind but I can't find any COB ring failure thread....I found some threads about XB led failing which are similar but not exactly the same as COB. Any specific source/link?

Though your statement may be true but I'm sure the material of the resistor heatsink can make a difference in heat dissipation. I know this because I've used resistors with metal heatsink (exterior) and that thing gets hot enough to melt hard plastic.
Appreciate 0
      09-30-2014, 02:46 PM   #15
dwells
ಠ_ಠ
United_States
Rep

Quote:
I must be blind but I can't find any COB ring failure thread....I found some threads about XB led failing which are similar but not exactly the same as COB. Any specific source/link?

Though your statement may be true but I'm sure the material of the resistor heatsink can make a difference in heat dissipation. I know this because I've used resistors with metal heatsink (exterior) and that thing gets hot enough to melt hard plastic.
Look around, there's quite a few discussions on the topic. The "XB" LED rings are COB rings. All COB means is chip-on-board, basically meaning that the emitters are directly integrated into the board rather than being discrete units. This means smaller, more densely packed emitters.

The housing can change the way heat is transferred to the ambient air ever so slightly, but it doesn't impact how much heat is actually produced. Similarly, a more thermally conductive material (metal) will cause a resistor to "feel" hotter to the touch, simply because it more efficiently transfers that heat to your skin. The actual amount of heat produced is unchanged.

This principle of thermal conductivity is the reason that a metal object outside in the winter will feel colder than a plastic object left outside, even if both objects are at the exact same temperature. Because of the higher thermal conductivity, more heat leaves your skin's surface and is transferred when you touch the metal object, meaning you perceive it as colder. Here's a decent university thermodynamics lecture which gets into the basics of heat, energy, and thermal conductivity.
      09-30-2014, 11:19 PM   #16
mythek
Captain
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Look around, there's quite a few discussions on the topic. The "XB" LED rings are COB rings. All COB means is chip-on-board, basically meaning that the emitters are directly integrated into the board rather than being discrete units. This means smaller, more densely packed emitters.

The housing can change the way heat is transferred to the ambient air ever so slightly, but it doesn't impact how much heat is actually produced. Similarly, a more thermally conductive material (metal) will cause a resistor to "feel" hotter to the touch, simply because it more efficiently transfers that heat to your skin. The actual amount of heat produced is unchanged.

This principle of thermal conductivity is the reason that a metal object outside in the winter will feel colder than a plastic object left outside, even if both objects are at the exact same temperature. Because of the higher thermal conductivity, more heat leaves your skin's surface and is transferred when you touch the metal object, meaning you perceive it as colder. Here's a decent university thermodynamics lecture which gets into the basics of heat, energy, and thermal conductivity.
I understand the basic principle of thermal conductivity, but I think you missed my point. Regardless, you did confirm my statement about resistors with metal heatsink and exterior can get hot and possibly melt and damage internal parts that it makes contact with.

Thanks for the in depth explanation. I now understand the heat problem that you were talking about. However, I still dont know how to take your generalization about "COB" rings. So are you saying that regardless of different brands and manufacturers, ALL "CHIP ON BOARD" led rings will have the same heat problems?
Appreciate 0
      10-02-2014, 08:09 AM   #17
X_Vapor
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2008 Bmw 335i e92

Your lights look awesome! I am a diy'er myself and would like to attempt this in the future. I did not read every single post but had a few questions. I cleared out my last car an s2000, and would love to give this a try.
Where did you order your rings and sizes?
How do you attach the rings to the bezel?
What paint do you recommend inside the housing?
Any special wiring instructions?
Thanks
Appreciate 0
      10-02-2014, 10:27 AM   #18
tjobeid
Banned
Rep
Drives: 2007 335i coupe

the white DTm ones look good
Appreciate 0
      10-05-2014, 07:19 PM   #19
naynay
Banned
Australia
Rep
Drives: 2006 E92 335i FBO

can you provide a link to the raptor 2 replica rings? i want to redo mine aswell
Appreciate 0
      10-05-2014, 07:20 PM   #20
naynay
Banned
Australia
Rep
Drives: 2006 E92 335i FBO

and how did you wire the demon eyes if you dont mind me asking? =]
Appreciate 0
      10-06-2014, 03:04 AM   #21
PORTMOODY
Captain
Canada
Rep
Drives: Coal Roller

like to know more about the dtm rings too.
Appreciate 0
      10-06-2014, 03:18 AM   #22
mythek
Captain
United_States
Rep

the DTM Rings are sold at Umnitza guys. I'm still waiting on my guy to finish up on the prototype of the acrylic covers for these rings.
Appreciate 0