E90Post

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > BMW E90/E92/E93 3-series General Forums > Regional Forums > UK > UK Technical Forum > 335d E92 Tyre Wear

06-03-2014, 02:32 AM   #1
m77mlb
Rep
Drives: 2007 E92 335d

335d E92 Tyre Wear

Ok gents, newbie here so go easy!!!
Loving the forum, the advice and knowledge on here is immense, found things wrong with my car I would never have known if I hadnt come on here!!!!

Had my 2007 E92 335d for 2 years now, and whilst I absolutely love this car, I have had one recurring problem with it since I bought it.

The rear tyres wear unbelievably quickly, no matter what I put on there, budget, mid or top of the range .... they all wear within 8000 miles!!!

Iv read a lot on this forum, searched the posts, googled til i was cross eyed!!
I notice there are a lot of posts regarding uneven tyre wear on inside edge, but mine isnt!!!
Its mainly the passenger side rear first (even ish wear) then the drivers side goes after it!!!
See pics attached (if it works) of the N/S and O/S rears after 5/6000 miles!!!
These are mid range 225/35/19 Front and 255/35/19 Rear.
It has been in for numerous checks and alignment but no solution!!

Worth noting that I dont drive the car hard at all.
I drive mainly 500 motorway miles a week at 70 on Cruise Control and then maybe 50-60 'around town' miles a week.
Averaging 38mpg (44 on the motorway!!) which I am more than happy with!
Obviously a few swift overtakes here and there but no burnouts or drifts (at 31 those days are long gone!!!).

Linked to this issue, I get a knock and a twitch on the Rear Passenger side wheel whenever I go over a small bump, e.g. an expansion gap, small pot hole, recessed manhole cover, lump in the road surface etc etc!!

Does this sound familiar to anybody with the 335d, or any other E9X variant?
I am looking at getting some mods done soon (got the bug from being on here!!!) including new wheels and tyres but dont want to spend ££££'s on the car if this is something I cant resolve!!!

Appreciate the time for any responses, loving the forum altho ultimately I think its going to cost me big time!!!!
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      06-03-2014, 03:04 AM   #2
tmarshall57
Captain
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: F10 530d M Sport, E87 118d M

Garage List
This seems really strange. Normally the complaint is of uneven wear on individual tyres e.g. outer edge or inner edge. You do exactly the same type of trips with a similar driving style to me. My tyres last between 30k and 40k miles. I also get the slight "hop" when going around a bend where there are things like bridge joints on the road.

If you have had a proper 4 wheel alignment e.g. on a Hunter machine and the adjustments have been correctly made I can only think that there could possible be something wrong with the DSC/DTC. Presumably there are no error lights and DSC/DTC system is not switched off.
F10 530d M Sport, September 2012 Individual Amazonite Silver, Oyster Dakota Leather, Auto, Nav Pro, Bluetooth + USB Devices, Expanded BMW Online, Comfort Seats, Sunroof, Sun Protection Glass Individual Satin Walnut Honey Brown Trim Interior Inside/Outside Mirror with folding and autodip, M Rear Spoiler
Appreciate 0
      06-03-2014, 04:01 AM   #3
John320d
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: BMW 320d E93

My first thought on seeing that tyre is over inflation
Appreciate 0
      06-03-2014, 04:34 AM   #4
m77mlb
Rep

I am running 38 PSI in the rear tyres both sides.
I think the recommended bar to PSI conversion on the E92 is just below 40 so should be ok there??!!
I did have a leaking valve on the OS Driver tyre a few weeks back which would have meant that side was technically over inflated in comparison, but this happens even when both tyres are at equal pressures with no issues.

4 wheel alignment has been completed altho I dont think it was on a Hunter machine which I have since looked into and there is a Hunter Alignment garage just down the road from me ....... worth the trip and money once I have the new tyres???

No warning lights from the DSC system and I always have it on the standard setting (I have used the system so I know it is operating, whether or not it is working is another issue!!!).
When I do get wheel spin the DSC light comes on on the dash so I presume it is operating correctly???

Im not unrealistic here, Im not expecting to get 30k out of the rear tyres on the 335 ...... I have had BMs for the last 10 years of driving and rarely have I seen anything much above 20k even on my E36 316i ...... but I would like to get 10k plus with the type of driving I am doing!!!

Does this not show any signs of any suspension or linkage issues on the rear, bushes gone or something bent maybe ..... altho i have had it all checked 3 times with no negative results???

Appreciate your time and comments anyway guys!!!
Looks like a new set of tyres and the Hunter alignment is the only thing I can do???!!!!!
Appreciate 0
      06-03-2014, 06:33 AM   #5
sal_park
Private First Class
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: 2008 E91 325i manual

I don't know why these are wearing like that, but 2 observations:

1) I don't think you have right sized tyres on your car - the sidewall on the fronts should be higher (e.g. 40%) to make the rolling radius of front and back the same.

2) Check the chart on your driver door to get the correct pressure. Mine (E91) is alot higher for the rears than the fronts - ymmv

hth
Appreciate 0
      06-03-2014, 06:59 AM   #6
Marshall878
First Lieutenant
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: 2009 E92 325D

Quote:
Originally Posted by sal_park View Post
1) I don't think you have right sized tyres on your car - the sidewall on the fronts should be higher (e.g. 40%) to make the rolling radius of front and back the same.
Noticed thise on mine at the weekend and thought it was strange...thanks for the clarification.
Appreciate 0
      06-03-2014, 07:14 AM   #7
m77mlb
Rep

Quote:

2) Check the chart on your driver door to get the correct pressure. Mine (E91) is alot higher for the rears than the fronts - ymmv

hth
Thanks sal_park, appreciate your comments.

The tyres have been this set up since I bought it and never thought anything of it!!
I have noticed this on a few other tyre posts since getting these tyres and will def be getting this set up for the new ones!!!
Would this make that much difference to have the effect in the pics??

Pressures according to the door are 2.6 bar (37.7 PSI) Front, 2.8 bar (40.6 PSI) Rear on a 35/30 set up.
Again, would this minimal difference in tyre pressure do this to the tyres with such minimalistic useage???
I could understand if I was flooring it everywhere and dusting all the Nova boys (showing my age there!!!) but im mainly driving it at 70 on the motorway on Cruise Control!!!

Maybe I should start thrashing it and see if it gets any better??!!
Appreciate 0
      06-03-2014, 07:21 AM   #8
djgandy
Colonel
Rep
Drives: E93 M3

Garage List
2011 M3  [0.00]
Quote:

hth
OP RE point 1)

Are you sure they are not 255/30/19 on the rear?
Appreciate 0
      06-03-2014, 07:33 AM   #9
sal_park
Private First Class
United Kingdom
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by m77mlb View Post
Pressures according to the door are 2.6 bar (37.7 PSI) Front, 2.8 bar
interesting, according to my 2008 E91 325i they are 2.4 bar front and 2.8 rear. Could be difference of a heavier engine or something ? not sure.

Either way, the key appears to be that there is always higher pressure in the rears, even with the same tyre size front and back.
Appreciate 0
      06-03-2014, 07:34 AM   #10
sal_park
Private First Class
United Kingdom
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marshall878 View Post
Noticed thise on mine at the weekend and thought it was strange...thanks for the clarification.
just checked, and the correct tyre spec for 19 inch is:

225/35 R19 88 Y XL (front)
255/30 R19 91 Y XL (rear)
Appreciate 0
      06-03-2014, 07:36 AM   #11
sal_park
Private First Class
United Kingdom
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by djgandy View Post
OP RE point 1)

(your correct - see post above)

I was basing this 40% on my 18 inch 193's - 225/40 fronts and 255/35 in the rears.
Appreciate 0
      06-03-2014, 07:40 AM   #12
m77mlb
Rep

Quote:
OP RE point 1)

Just been out to check whilst checking the door values, definately 35 Front and Rear.

I am a bit suprised that a) they were on the car to start with adn b) none of the places that have fit new tyres in the last 18 months have checked this and put the right size on ..... altho I will take the responsibility for that as I have never checked and always just asked them to replace what was already there!!!!

Think the E91 will de different due to the extra weight of the rear end on the touring???

Sounds like all the suggestions are with the tyres and not, as I was hoping, something structural/mechanical???
Maybe I should just try a new set of wheels with the correct set up of tyres and offset on the wheels and get the Hunter alignment done after this??
Appreciate 0
      06-03-2014, 07:40 AM   #13
zltm089
Banned
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: 335i SE Coupe Space Grey

Garage List
2006 BMW 335i  [10.00]
Quote:
OP RE point 1)

plus one.

I have a 335i and get similar miles....about 8k ...and that has been quite consistent....with rft and non rft ....have had the car for about 5 years now. Normal town driving with occassional 0-40 at the lights, bit of wheel spin for some excitement in my miserable life but nothing more.... I think it really depends on your driving style.

Your rear pressure are about right, could do with a bit more psi maybe as you're on 19s...

I drive with traction control fully off ( that's just to save on my rear brake pads, and not because I do street drifting or do a Chris Harris review type of driving on the roads). As soon as you say you drive with traction control off, people assume you're a serial child molester or some rapist of some kind.
Appreciate 0
      06-03-2014, 08:31 AM   #14
m77mlb
Rep

Thanks for the response zltm089.

So if im getting 8k on the rears im in good company?
Are most 335d users getting similar figures from experience on here??

Just the NS Rear 'twitch' I need to sort out then and then CM Wheels are geting an order for some M359s!!!

Any advice on the best offset to eliminate additional wear issues??
I think I saw on here the 19x8.5 et37 / 19x9.5 et30 was the best set up for E92 but these arent available at the moment???
Appreciate 0
      06-03-2014, 09:03 AM   #15
MERLIN335i
Brigadier General
England
Rep
Drives: Gone: E92 M3 Competition Pack

Quote:
I think I saw on here the 19x8.5 et37 / 19x9.5 et30 was the best set up for E92 but these arent available at the moment???
I'm on 8.5J x 19 ET35 (36psi) + 9.5J x 19 ET35 (38psi) Alufelgens, and have had even wear across all tyres F & R (Conti 5P & Michelin Pilot Super Sports).

Get 10K miles from rears, on E92 with M-Sport suspension with standard geometry & Quaife ATB LSD.

Hope that helps.
Appreciate 0
      06-03-2014, 09:31 AM   #16
Telly Addict
Banned
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: 2 wheels!

Quote:
Thanks for the response zltm089.

So if im getting 8k on the rears im in good company?
Are most 335d users getting similar figures from experience on here??

Just the NS Rear 'twitch' I need to sort out then and then CM Wheels are geting an order for some M359s!!!

I did 8K in my e92 335d and there was about 3mm left on the rears when I sold it.

As for the rear twitch, mine had that last year when I bought her. It was the shocks. One of the rears was goosed so I replaced the whole lot with Bilstein B4Ss. Twitch gone and replaced with superb handling, even on bumpy bends.
Appreciate 0
      06-04-2014, 02:34 AM   #17
m77mlb
Rep

MERLIN335i
Thanks for the advice, sounds like the et35s will do fine, dont want to run into arch clearance issues anyway so these should be perfect!!

Telly Addict
Thanks for the response with regards to the twitch!
This was my first suspicion when it started, or a knackered or badly seated spring .......... sounds like an excuse for new suspension!!!
Not really keen on the coilover option tho as I have had them on previous cars (none BMW) and the ride was way too harsh for my type of driving, I want to keep the level of comfort as high as possible with the amount of miles I do in the car!!
Is this unjustified??
Would I be as well upgrading to coilovers??
Or would I get as good results from putting a decent set of uprated shocks and springs on????

Thanks again for all the replys, its been a big help!!!!
Appreciate 0
      06-04-2014, 08:45 AM   #18
Telly Addict
Banned
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: 2 wheels!

Quote:
MERLIN335i
Thanks for the advice, sounds like the et35s will do fine, dont want to run into arch clearance issues anyway so these should be perfect!!

Telly Addict
Thanks for the response with regards to the twitch!
This was my first suspicion when it started, or a knackered or badly seated spring .......... sounds like an excuse for new suspension!!!
Not really keen on the coilover option tho as I have had them on previous cars (none BMW) and the ride was way too harsh for my type of driving, I want to keep the level of comfort as high as possible with the amount of miles I do in the car!!
Is this unjustified??
Would I be as well upgrading to coilovers??
Or would I get as good results from putting a decent set of uprated shocks and springs on????

Thanks again for all the replys, its been a big help!!!!

I only replaced the shocks and kept the original springs. OEM comfort with improved damping = win win.
Appreciate 0