Next Level Auto Brokers
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

Go Back   BMW M3 and BMW M4 Forum > BMW F80 M3 / F82 M4 Technical Topics > Engine / Drivetrain / Exhaust / Bolt-ons / Tuning

01-11-2024, 06:19 PM   #23
b_w.
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: F80 M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by MoM2C View Post
Why do you think ecutek isn’t an option?
Followed up with ecutek and they said it's not supported and not on the to do list. . Another tuner reached out and said the same thing. Bend said its possible but they won't do it.
Appreciate 0
      01-11-2024, 07:06 PM   #24
wheela
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2015 BMW X1 35i M-sport

Quote:
Originally Posted by b_w. View Post
Followed up with ecutek and they said it's not supported and not on the to do list. . Another tuner reached out and said the same thing. Bend said its possible but they won't do it.
I haven't worked with Motiv, but if my self tune journey doesn't work out that's who I'll probably turn to. They've got a solid rep in the n54 & n55 world. I've had some email communication with Chris there, you can tell he knows what he's doing. And he took the time to respond to me even knowing my plan A is to self-tune.

Doesn't Wedge tune the 4n car? Any reason you're staying away from them given their familiarity with the kit?
Appreciate 0
      01-11-2024, 07:31 PM   #25
b_w.
Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by MoM2C View Post
Have a word with chetrickerman. He’s a top guy who is currently running an Ecutek tuned single turbo S55 himself.
He is dual bank. Spoke to him and he confirmed no single bank compatibility.
Appreciate 0
      01-11-2024, 08:20 PM   #26
wheela
Captain
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Schemxr View Post
despite popular belief, 4n kits have an over boosting issue. and they’re ridiculously over priced. lmao
They're definately expensive, but an EFR turbo is almost $3k alone, and probably the best turbo you can get for a given flow range. So hard to say if it's over-priced?

I've seen a lot of people claim overboosting with internally gated EFR's, but I wonder if it's tune related? With the gamma titanium turbine, they'll respond quicker than a turbo with standard inconel or mar-m turbine, so they're probably less forgiving to tune. But just my .02, lol!
Appreciate 2
      01-11-2024, 08:53 PM   #27
chetrickerman
ECUTek Master Tuner
United_States
Rep
Drives: F80 M3 YMB

Garage List
2016 BMW M3  [9.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by wheela View Post
I've seen a lot of people claim overboosting with internally gated EFR's, but I wonder if it's tune related?
Where have you seen this? What turbo were they using? When is the car overboosting?
      01-11-2024, 09:52 PM   #28
wheela
Captain
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by chetrickerman View Post
Where have you seen this? What turbo were they using? When is the car overboosting?
Just unsubstantiated second-hand claims on the forums from time to time. I feel like it's an urban myth, and am not buying it. Have you seen this with your EFR? I've got an 8374 I'll be putting on my n55, external gate though. I wanted to go internal gate to use stock vacuum wastegate control, but the internal gate kit I wanted got discontinued before I was ready to buy.

Edit: This CES kit was the only direct account of over boost I've come across. Obviously the people involved in this kit know what they're doing, but BW specifically designed their internally gated housing to handle the extra exhaust flow, and people running these turbos on other platforms don't seem to have this problem. So their issue perplexes me, not sure what was going on with it to cause the overboosting???
Attached Images

Last edited by wheela; 01-12-2024 at 08:41 AM..
Appreciate 0
      01-12-2024, 11:37 AM   #29
Schemxr
Private First Class
No_Country
Rep
Drives: BMW M4

Quote:
They're definately expensive, but an EFR turbo is almost $3k alone, and probably the best turbo you can get for a given flow range. So hard to say if it's over-priced?

I've seen a lot of people claim overboosting with internally gated EFR's, but I wonder if it's tune related? With the gamma titanium turbine, they'll respond quicker than a turbo with standard inconel or mar-m turbine, so they're probably less forgiving to tune. But just my .02, lol!
why efr over a g35-1050? i heard the g35 is the best flowing for the amount of power rated
Appreciate 0
      01-12-2024, 11:50 AM   #30
b_w.
Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Schemxr View Post
why efr over a g35-1050? i heard the g35 is the best flowing for the amount of power rated
There are a few comparisons on line comparing the g35 1050 vs 8374 and essentially the efr flows more at any given turbine speeds. The garrett has to spin significantly faster, has a smaller window, and runs out of steam earlier. While the 1050 is called a 1000hp turbo it moves out of the efficiency range much earlier.

Also price wise you are going to need an external wastegate and something like a motiv reflex to control it. Price creep happens pretty fast. Efr works with oem wastegate solenoids.

I have also heard from local shops that since running into financial problems garretts qc has been awful. That's from heavy duty trucks to tuner cars.
Appreciate 0
      01-12-2024, 12:30 PM   #31
wheela
Captain
United_States
Rep

Quote:
There are a few comparisons on line comparing the g35 1050 vs 8374 and essentially the efr flows more at any given turbine speeds. The garrett has to spin significantly faster, has a smaller window, and runs out of steam earlier. While the 1050 is called a 1000hp turbo it moves out of the efficiency range much earlier.

Also price wise you are going to need an external wastegate and something like a motiv reflex to control it. Price creep happens pretty fast. Efr works with oem wastegate solenoids.

I have also heard from local shops that since running into financial problems garretts qc has been awful. That's from heavy duty trucks to tuner cars.
This. Plus, with a titanium aluminde turbine that's roughly half the mass of the Garret's Mar-M turbine, I have a hard time believing the Garret can match the EFR in responsiveness (time-to-torque). The EFR's ball bearing cartridge is also significantly larger than the Garret's. The only draw back to the EFR it's physical size; the overall packaging takes up a lot of space.
Appreciate 0
      01-12-2024, 09:32 PM   #32
chetrickerman
ECUTek Master Tuner
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2016 BMW M3  [9.00]
Quote:
Just unsubstantiated second-hand claims on the forums from time to time. I feel like it's an urban myth, and am not buying it. Have you seen this with your EFR? I've got an 8374 I'll be putting on my n55, external gate though. I wanted to go internal gate to use stock vacuum wastegate control, but the internal gate kit I wanted got discontinued before I was ready to buy.

Edit: This CES kit was the only direct account of over boost I've come across. Obviously the people involved in this kit know what they're doing, but BW specifically designed their internally gated housing to handle the extra exhaust flow, and people running these turbos on other platforms don't seem to have this problem. So their issue perplexes me, not sure what was going on with it to cause the overboosting???
Interesting, I do not have that issue with my 9280 and 0.92 A/R IWG turbine housing.
      01-13-2024, 12:00 PM   #33
b_w.
Lieutenant
Rep

Garrett vs efr comparison
Appreciate 0
      02-20-2024, 06:02 PM   #34
b_w.
Lieutenant
Rep

Parts arrived

Appreciate 5
Jbonly211101.00
Wanted_M772.50
ra2289308.50
      02-20-2024, 07:28 PM   #35
wheela
Captain
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Parts arrived

Congrats, looks great!!
Appreciate 0
      02-20-2024, 07:54 PM   #36
chetrickerman
ECUTek Master Tuner
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2016 BMW M3  [9.00]
Quote:
Parts arrived
Looks great! Love how simple it is
      02-22-2024, 06:46 PM   #37
summernightruns
United_States
Rep
Drives: F80

I ordered a 4N kit too, I am in the same boat looking for a tuning solution. Currently on BM3
Appreciate 0
      02-22-2024, 08:15 PM   #38
chetrickerman
ECUTek Master Tuner
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2016 BMW M3  [9.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by summernightruns View Post
I ordered a 4N kit too, I am in the same boat looking for a tuning solution. Currently on BM3
If you dont have a ported cylinder head, and are not mounting the primary O2 sensors on the downpipe, I can tune your single turbo with ECUTek

Last edited by chetrickerman; 02-23-2024 at 07:51 PM..
Appreciate 2
      02-22-2024, 08:36 PM   #39
summernightruns
United_States
Rep
Drives: F80

I'm not opposed to switching software
Appreciate 0
      02-23-2024, 07:43 PM   #40
b_w.
Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
If you dont have a ported cylinder head, I can tune your single turbo with ECUTek
Has anything changed since we last exchanged messages?
Appreciate 0
      02-23-2024, 07:53 PM   #41
chetrickerman
ECUTek Master Tuner
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2016 BMW M3  [9.00]
Quote:
Has anything changed since we last exchanged messages?
I edited my previous post. Still no single bank support with ECUTek
      02-25-2024, 11:14 AM   #42
Wanted_M
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: Frozen Blue M4CS

Quote:
Originally Posted by Beyond_Ill View Post
No doubt, I'm sure it's possible but there's a reluctance to make that step in innovation. I asked Bend Calibration about it the other day but they wouldn't budge. Hopefully we'll see some progress in the upcoming months, this platform seems to be picking up again.
This is where I'm having a hard time understanding their reasoning behind this, all older cars ran that way one single primary O2 in the DP prior to cat and one after cat for decades, I understand the technological advancements with having them in manifold but is there something else that am I missing here?
ARM DP's/Resonated Mid-pipe | SPL links | Hotchkis bars | JRZ RS2/camber plates | K&N | Koyorad HX | Powerflex purple | Rouge | Spiegler | Speed Eng. snorkel | Vargas CBC/hub | Wagner IC | xHP | Xpel stealth ppf
Appreciate 0
      02-25-2024, 11:40 AM   #43
Beyond_Ill
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2014 BMW 328i

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wanted_M View Post
This is where I'm having a hard time understanding their reasoning behind this, all older cars ran that way one single primary O2 in the DP prior to cat and one after cat for decades, what am I missing here?
I honestly have no idea either. If I had to take a guess, it probably has something to do with emissions. Wouldn't look good on them, especially after the Green Speed act, if they essentially removed half of the O2s off the car. That's just my theory though until we get a confirmed answer.
Appreciate 2
      02-26-2024, 12:13 AM   #44
-Eidos
@lbb_kev
Rep
Drives: 2018 BMW M2 (LBB)

Quote:
If you dont have a ported cylinder head, and are not mounting the primary O2 sensors on the downpipe, I can tune your single turbo with ECUTek
I'm curious how a ported cylinder head complicates things?
Speedtech Stage 3 (8474) | Remus Exhaust | Wagner EVO 3 | XClutch | DS2 + Lift Kit | Nostrum S2 Injectors | TI E5LM | Torqbyte EKP | Intrax 1K2 | SPL | Drexler GT Race Light LSD by limitedslip.de | Schirmer Diff Lift Kit

Full E85 DI-Only 717WHP Flex Fuel tuned by BendCalibration (ECUTek) | Built by SD Garage
Appreciate 1