F30POST
F30POST
2012-2015 BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum (F30 / F32) | F30POST > BIMMERPOST Universal Forums > General BMW News and Cars Discussion > BMW 330e charging
ARMA SPEED

08-31-2021, 12:46 PM   #1
Kelly330e
Registered
Rep
Drives: BMW 330e

BMW 330e charging

Hi everyone,

I have a 2021 BMW 330e arriving. Is it better to get the BMW ev charger, or does anyone recommend a different charger to use/install? (Florida, USA)

thanks!

Kelly
Appreciate 0
      08-31-2021, 01:02 PM   #2
Tuxedo
Bowties r cool ▶:◀
United_States
Rep
Drives: 09' 128i MT e88, 24'G05 X5 50e

Garage List
if you plan to have a full ev in the future add a 220v charger, for now the 110v will do in most cases for the 330e.
Appreciate 0
      08-31-2021, 03:23 PM   #3
SteveinArizona
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: BMW 530e

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tuxedo View Post
if you plan to have a full ev in the future add a 220v charger, for now the 110v will do in most cases for the 330e.
It depends. If you intend to only charge overnight, I agree that the 110 will do fine. If, on the other hand, you are able to recharge during the day, then I would opt for a 240 charger unit.
Appreciate 0
      09-03-2021, 08:41 AM   #4
Quadruple VANOS
Captain
Rep
Drives: BMW 335i

I think OP is asking for 220v charger recommendations.
Appreciate 0
      09-03-2021, 10:02 AM   #5
FredBa
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: XDrive30e

The correct term is EVSE, as the actual charger is built into your car. The EVSE is merely sort of a gatekeeper to make sure the electricity that goes into your car is safe.

BMW's wallbox, and alternatives like Juicebox are expensive and overkill for what you need.
The 330e accepts only 16A @ 220V and apart from paying for faster charging than your car is capable of, the other features the more expensive EVSEs offer are already available via iDrive or MyBMW App, like scheduled charging or limiting the charging current (e.g. to "low" i.e. 6A if you have to use an extension cord at some place you visit).

I'd have a 220V NEMA 10-30 outlet installed at home if you don't have one yet, and then get a portable 220V level 2 EVSE that also includes a 110V NEMA 5-15 adapter so you can use it anywhere you travel. The $279.99 AxFAST Level 2 Portable Electric Vehicle Charger at Costco is a good choice, there are many cheaper ones on Amazon around $200 but some are not fully approved for outdoor use.
Appreciate 0
      09-03-2021, 10:12 AM   #6
SteveinArizona
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: BMW 530e

Quote:
Originally Posted by FredBa View Post
The correct term is EVSE, as the actual charger is built into your car. The EVSE is merely sort of a gatekeeper to make sure the electricity that goes into your car is safe.

BMW's wallbox, and alternatives like Juicebox are expensive and overkill for what you need.
The 330e accepts only 16A @ 220V and apart from paying for faster charging than your car is capable of, the other features the more expensive EVSEs offer are already available via iDrive or MyBMW App, like scheduled charging or limiting the charging current (e.g. to "low" i.e. 6A if you have to use an extension cord at some place you visit).

I'd have a 220V NEMA 10-30 outlet installed at home if you don't have one yet, and then get a portable 220V level 2 EVSE that also includes a 110V NEMA 5-15 adapter so you can use it anywhere you travel. The $279.99 AxFAST Level 2 Portable Electric Vehicle Charger at Costco is a good choice, there are many cheaper ones on Amazon around $200 but some are not fully approved for outdoor use.
I agree with one caveat. If the OP is planning to go full BEV in the future, then a unit with more power capability would make sense (assuming he has the capacity to do so).
Appreciate 0
      09-03-2021, 11:58 AM   #7
LogicalApex
Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2020 BMW 530xe

Garage List
2020 BMW 530xe  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by FredBa View Post

I like my ChargePoint Flex EVSE quite a lot. It is a lot more accurate than the charging tracking in the BMW MyBMW app, for instance. It is also much more accurate if you need to do stuff like scheduled charging as I learned recently charging at my in-laws using the cord in the trunk.

Is the Flex overkill for its power output? Absolutely. In my case I put in an EVSE that should last me for probably the next 30 years. But you can get away with a much skimpier charger due to the limited capacity on the 330e. You can also hedge it against replacing the EVSE later for a bigger unit, but an extra couple hundred bucks today prevents you from needing to do that (and you can only get the tax credit today is my understanding).

The issue I had with scheduled charging in iDrive or the MyBMW app is that it will charge outside of your configured window if it think you’ll need more time to charge the car to full. My ChargePoint would force the car to wait until the configured time arrived. Though I don’t use this feature since we don’t have Time of Use pricing in Philly (but the in-laws did in Ontario).

Whatever you go with though make sure it is UL certified and quality built so it lasts and is safe. I vote ChargePoint, but others have had success with JuiceBox and Clipper Creek.
Appreciate 0
      09-04-2021, 01:25 PM   #8
Kelly330e
Registered
Rep
Drives: BMW 330e

Thank you everyone! I have been charging overnight from our regular outlet and that seems to do me just fine
Appreciate 0