F30POST
F30POST
2012-2015 BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum (F30 / F32) | F30POST > BIMMERPOST Universal Forums > General BMW News and Cars Discussion > Bad Expierence at BMW San Luis Obispo (Ryan Pullara is why people hate dealers)
proTUNING Freaks

08-14-2021, 11:10 AM   #23
Efthreeoh
General
United_States
Rep
Drives: The E90 + Z4 Coupe & Z3 R'ster

Seriously? You spent all that effort and 6 rolls of painter's tape to tape of the front end of your new BMW?

LFOL
A manual transmission can be set to "comfort", "sport", and "track" modes simply by the technique and speed at which you shift it; it doesn't need "modes", modes are for manumatics that try to behave like a real 3-pedal manual transmission. If you can money-shift it, it's a manual transmission. "Yeah, but NO ONE puts an automatic trans shift knob on a manual transmission."
Appreciate 4
540iSUP704.00
kfscoll208.50
spidy512494.50
P111572.00
      08-14-2021, 04:26 PM   #24
BMWBear
Ultimate Driver
United_States
Rep
Drives: N/A

Quote:
Originally Posted by Efthreeoh View Post
Seriously? You spent all that effort and 6 rolls of painter's tape to tape of the front end of your new BMW?

LFOL
You must be new. It’s been fairly common practice for at least 15 yrs to do this before a long ride home to guard against rock chips before PPF.
Appreciate 5
alex23642873.50
chris7197334.00
irunalot1518.00
arashir164.00
      08-15-2021, 06:49 AM   #25
Efthreeoh
General
United_States
Rep
Drives: The E90 + Z4 Coupe & Z3 R'ster

Quote:
Originally Posted by BYEIL View Post
You must be new. It’s been fairly common practice for at least 15 yrs to do this before a long ride home to guard against rock chips before PPF.
That must be it.
A manual transmission can be set to "comfort", "sport", and "track" modes simply by the technique and speed at which you shift it; it doesn't need "modes", modes are for manumatics that try to behave like a real 3-pedal manual transmission. If you can money-shift it, it's a manual transmission. "Yeah, but NO ONE puts an automatic trans shift knob on a manual transmission."
Appreciate 1
spidy512494.50
      08-15-2021, 02:00 PM   #26
TAZ007
Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2021 Z4 M40

Garage List
2021 Z4 M40  [5.00]
Exactly.
Appreciate 0
      08-15-2021, 05:53 PM   #27
Bimmer Pleaser
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: nothing

meh, thread did not deliver. clicked on hoping to get something juicy like that repair dude who turned out to had been in legal troubles for soliciting prostitution from an underage person, or the previously wrecked M3CS.
Appreciate 0
      08-18-2021, 04:39 PM   #28
Vivek.
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: 335is coupe, e30 vert

Quote:

He's just not the type to fuss over a rock chip or two

OP, thanks for sharing. This behavior from car sales guys is offensive and to make things worse some of them don't care or feel bad at ALL. In their mind, another guy will give em a thousand bucks more so who gives a rats ass about the customer paying less. Works fine on craigslist but not appropriate from a dealer.
2013 335is Mineral/Coral - DR 6466 - DR Mani - PI - Motiv FF - Dodson Clutches - OEM CF Roof - M3 GTS DCT/LSD/DS/Halfshafts/Suspension/Subframe/Brakes/Chassis Bracing F+R - DEFIV Diff Brace - 437M/R888R
2015 X5 35D - 1990 535i [RIP] - 1992 318i Convertible - 2002 540i/6
Appreciate 2
      08-18-2021, 09:16 PM   #29
BMWCCA1
BMW Owner Since 1971
Rep
Drives: 1964 700 Sport Cabriolet

Garage List
2013 BMW 128i  [10.00]
You were treated badly. No question. Dealers who pull that crap deserve to be called out.

But, I started selling BMWs at a dealership 45-years ago. I've owned BMWs for over 50-years. I wish I could just call out all the customers who treated me as badly—or even worse than what happened to you. Just today a customer I'd sold two cars to and spent countless hours walking through the process of building an X5 45e, even borrowing a customer's car so he could see and drive one, who then went to a dealership less than 100-miles away and ordered his car based on the build specs we created, called me to ask questions about his car. He also asked me to appraise his 2010 trade for the third time in the past year, a trade he said the other dealer was giving him so much more for—yet he still owns it. Now I'm sure most customers think the dealer has nothing better to do than to spend hours with them. And then we should simply wish them well as they go hours away to order the car because another dealership will just drop their pants on price knowing they'll never have to spend time or even see the guy again. And—and!!—then have the nerve to ask me to spend more time with them on a car they purchased elsewhere just to save money.

I know my time is free. But my years of expertise and knowledge acquisition are my stock in-trade. Every dealership can sell the same car and every dealership pays the same for that car. But the honest, helpful, knowledgeable sales people are expected to just suck up this bad behavior and smile: "Thank you sir, may I have another??"

Just my way of letting you know it's not just the dealers that are assholes in this car-purchasing "game". I have families as customers who now rely on me in their third-generation of BMW purchasing. I have customers now living over 500-miles away who wouldn't think of trusting their purchase to anyone but me. And it's people like this who keep me going to work every day when many would have retired from this wretched business by now.

Value the good dealers and continue to call out the bad. That's a luxury you have that your sales advisor does not. It's your right. But remember there is another side of how this business works where the dealer isn't always the bad guy!
Appreciate 19
Almuliman483.50
540iSUP704.00
blkonblk195.00
Vivek.1367.50
heavyD^23688.50
Colinv64030.50
irunalot1518.00
spidy512494.50
P111572.00
omasou2088.00
brettcp348.00
Merlin_83473.50
DSTR1241.00
      08-19-2021, 02:36 PM   #30
M4Ghost
Lieutenant
No_Country
Rep
Drives: 2022 M4

As a person who has sold many members of you your car when I worked for Schomp, and nearly 200 folks' over at IWSTI/NASIOC, customer service and not doing dumb shit like this is what separates the clowns from the good ones. Assuming from the comments whoever structured the deal was sad they'd probably lose 2000-5000k in profit (depending on how equipped), then didn't want to do that as another customer may offer what they would normally addendum the car. As other members have stated, it's tough to be called out if you didn't get clarity.

I would advise reaching out to his GSM Vincent vtroncoso@coastbmw.com to rectify the situation

Best
Appreciate 0
      08-19-2021, 02:40 PM   #31
///M ARMY
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: F90

sorry to hear. going with brokers can be an easier process.
Appreciate 0
      08-20-2021, 11:41 AM   #32
MmmmmM2
Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2021 M2C

Garage List
2016 Mazda CX-5  [0.00]
2021 BMW M2C  [0.00]
Make sure to leave a 1 star Yelp review. That is always a good thing to do!
Appreciate 0
      08-20-2021, 12:53 PM   #33
SteveinArizona
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: BMW 530e

Quote:
Originally Posted by BMWCCA1 View Post
You were treated badly. No question. Dealers who pull that crap deserve to be called out.

But, I started selling BMWs at a dealership 45-years ago. I've owned BMWs for over 50-years. I wish I could just call out all the customers who treated me as badly—or even worse than what happened to you. Just today a customer I'd sold two cars to and spent countless hours walking through the process of building an X5 45e, even borrowing a customer's car so he could see and drive one, who then went to a dealership less than 100-miles away and ordered his car based on the build specs we created, called me to ask questions about his car. He also asked me to appraise his 2010 trade for the third time in the past year, a trade he said the other dealer was giving him so much more for—yet he still owns it. Now I'm sure most customers think the dealer has nothing better to do than to spend hours with them. And then we should simply wish them well as they go hours away to order the car because another dealership will just drop their pants on price knowing they'll never have to spend time or even see the guy again. And—and!!—then have the nerve to ask me to spend more time with them on a car they purchased elsewhere just to save money.

I know my time is free. But my years of expertise and knowledge acquisition are my stock in-trade. Every dealership can sell the same car and every dealership pays the same for that car. But the honest, helpful, knowledgeable sales people are expected to just suck up this bad behavior and smile: "Thank you sir, may I have another??"

Just my way of letting you know it's not just the dealers that are assholes in this car-purchasing "game". I have families as customers who now rely on me in their third-generation of BMW purchasing. I have customers now living over 500-miles away who wouldn't think of trusting their purchase to anyone but me. And it's people like this who keep me going to work every day when many would have retired from this wretched business by now.

Value the good dealers and continue to call out the bad. That's a luxury you have that your sales advisor does not. It's your right. But remember there is another side of how this business works where the dealer isn't always the bad guy!
Good post. When I bought my 530e I did not negotiate hard. I just wanted a decent deal for both of us. But along with that is I don't expect my dealership to ever jack up the price on a vehicle above msrp because it is hard to find. To me, the relationship is dual and I want to treat my dealership fairly but I want it to treat me fairly as well.
Appreciate 1
Almuliman483.50
      08-20-2021, 06:50 PM   #34
Capt Canuck
Lieutenant
Canada
Rep
Drives: EX. '21 BMW M2C

Quote:

Cool whataboutery and way to be make the OP's thread about you
///M TOWN16566.50
omasou2088.00
      08-21-2021, 01:14 PM   #35
Gesler
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: e90 M3

No, it was a good post, gives a better picture of what goes on in this business.

OP did a great job pointing out the DB he had to deal with.
Appreciate 0
      08-21-2021, 02:13 PM   #36
tranquility
sportscars only
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2011 Z4 sDrive 35i

Quote:

I generally agree w this post, and I would go further and support you in saying that your time is NOT free, it's to be valued, and respect goes both ways. That said you could've told him nicely and upfront that you can't go further w him since he's not buying from you...or subtly give him hints, e.g. "I'll try my best to get around to it if time permits...".

Anyway, could you clarify on the bold? I wouldn't want somebody pawing at and driving my car, that's a *no* in my books.
The richest one percent of this country owns half our country's wealth, five trillion dollars. One third of that comes from hard work, two thirds comes from inheritance, interest on interest accumulating to widows and idiot sons and what I do, stock and real estate speculation...It's bullsh*t. I create nothing. I own. We make the rules, pal...Now you're not naive enough to think we're living in a democracy, are you buddy?
Appreciate 0
      08-21-2021, 02:51 PM   #37
joooiiiiii
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2018 BMW M3 ZCP

I hate the whole dealership buying process. I bought my car in Germany and it was completely hassle-free, MSRP, etc. Can't imagine having to deal with these issues that OP did.
Appreciate 2
RugbyBro7601.50
chris7197334.00
      08-21-2021, 07:45 PM   #38
BMWCCA1
BMW Owner Since 1971
Rep
Drives: 1964 700 Sport Cabriolet

Garage List
2013 BMW 128i  [10.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by tranquility View Post
Anyway, could you clarify on the bold? I wouldn't want somebody pawing at and driving my car, that's a *no* in my books.
He wanted an X5 45e, which has been very difficult to keep in stock for people to demo. I asked a good customer if he would mind showing the prospect his car and maybe taking him out for a drive, allowing him to decide if he'd let the prospect drive his car—or not. His choice. They got along well enough that the owner let the prospect (and future DB) drive, briefly. We're a small area with enough multiple-BMW owners that people can feel comfortable showing their car to others. All I had to do was ask. I never volunteered before letting the owner make up his own mind. Normally I won't even let anyone sit in a sold car in the showroom and keep sold cars locked, but these are unusual times. We are sold out of X1, X2, X3, X5, X6, and X7 and even our Alpina XB7 went away today.
Appreciate 2
      08-21-2021, 08:00 PM   #39
tranquility
sportscars only
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2011 Z4 sDrive 35i

Quote:
He wanted an X5 45e, which has been very difficult to keep in stock for people to demo. I asked a good customer if he would mind showing the prospect his car and maybe taking him out for a drive, allowing him to decide if he'd let the prospect drive his car—or not. His choice. They got along well enough that the owner let the prospect (and future DB) drive, briefly. We're a small area with enough multiple-BMW owners that people can feel comfortable showing their car to others. All I had to do was ask. I never volunteered before letting the owner make up his own mind. Normally I won't even let anyone sit in a sold car in the showroom and keep sold cars locked, but these are unusual times. We are sold out of X1, X2, X3, X5, X6, and X7 and even our Alpina XB7 went away today.
That's good to know. I kinda had the feeling you probably asked for permission but was too lazy to change my post. Ya, crazy times indeed, glad you lock up sold cars otherwise.
The richest one percent of this country owns half our country's wealth, five trillion dollars. One third of that comes from hard work, two thirds comes from inheritance, interest on interest accumulating to widows and idiot sons and what I do, stock and real estate speculation...It's bullsh*t. I create nothing. I own. We make the rules, pal...Now you're not naive enough to think we're living in a democracy, are you buddy?
Appreciate 0
      08-22-2021, 03:04 PM   #40
Jesda
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2008 E93 N52 78k

Quote:
I'd definitely do that if I was leasing.

I drive all over the country and just let the chips happen, then after 100k repaint the bumper. Most of my mileage is on road trips so I'd have the blue tape permanently.
      08-25-2021, 11:11 PM   #41
clutchdj
Colonel
Rep
Drives: a few cars

Quote:

The was insightful and on the line of being boastful. I see your customer service has rewarded you over the years. That is a great thing.
Appreciate 0
      08-26-2021, 08:53 AM   #42
pikkagtr
Go Spurs Go
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2022 GR Zupra

Dealership model needs to go away
Need to be able to order cars and pay then just come pick it up
Like curbside pickup at target
Maybe I'm just antisocial o.0
Appreciate 1
dscabra4960.00
      08-26-2021, 10:06 AM   #43
dscabra
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: GMC Denali

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by pikkagtr View Post
Dealership model needs to go away
Need to be able to order cars and pay then just come pick it up
Like curbside pickup at target
Maybe I'm just antisocial o.0
100% agree with this. In my mind, the dealership has become an unnecessary middleman that can be eliminated from the sales side of the picture, particularly when dealing with the purchase of a new car. Service is a different story and I like the option of having my BMW repaired at a BMW facility.

For context, I hate negotiating on a commodity item. Put a price on the car that is fair and leave it at that. Likewise, and even more bothersome, I hate negotiating a price on my trade. Use the tools that are available to fairly value a trade and let that drive the price. I know there are countless variables that can be quoted that affect the price, but seldom do I see a dealership really do more than a cursory check of the cars I've traded. As always, if the owner thinks it's worth more, let them sell it themselves. Trading a car is a convenience, and comes with some cost.

Buying a car doesn't have to be, and actually shouldn't be a mystery process that occupies several hours of time.
Appreciate 0
      08-26-2021, 10:14 AM   #44
erickonphoenix
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2014 Gray 328xi Touring

Wow, this is fascinating.

I had the exact thing happen to me once. I was stuck in Calgary for a couple of weeks and couldn't pick my new car up. When I finally got back to Houston the dealer had sold it. I never really got a straight story about it so I just figured the screwed up.

However, I'd had some buyers remorse about my color selection so I was able to change that on the reorder and they threw in a couple of options.

Now I wonder if it really was a screwup???